• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prometheus (Alien 'prequel' movie) starts shooting March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Green Scar said:
I'd be surprised if it wasn't.
The rating has been a point of contention between Ridley Scott and Fox.

Ridley wants an R, Fox wants a PG-13. I'm not sure if it's been resolved yet or not.

I doubt Ridley is the type to back down on something as basic as the movies rating. I figure they'll compromise somehow and Ridley will get his way.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
from now on, michael fassbender will be cast in all parts which would have previously gone to orlando bloom.

and the movies will all be ten times better as a result.

Dead

well not really...yet
BertramCooper said:
The rating has been a point of contention between Ridley Scott and Fox.

Ridley wants an R, Fox wants a PG-13. I'm not sure if it's been resolved yet or not.
Going to 1 movie from 2 movies was probably a result of being able to get an R rating imo

Zeliard

CaptYamato said:
The company made the xenos.

I'm admittedly not quite up on my Alien lore. Thought it was the case that the Space Jockeys created them, but that basically nothing is known about those guys.

Man

Teh Hamburglar said:
I doubt Ridley is the type to back down on something as basic as the movies rating. I figure they'll compromise somehow and Ridley will get his way.
He demanded two movies and $250m budget with R rating originally (overaiming to achieve desired goal?).
I'm guessing a single movie with $150m+ budget and R rating is what we will get.

Dead said:
Going to 1 movie from 2 movies was probably a result of being able to get an R rating imo
Semi beaten.

Fox has confirmed that it is only one film:

ScreenRant said:
Update: A Fox representative confirmed with us that the Alien prequel is just one film and that it's not called "Paradise." An official announcement is coming soon.

Also, it's being shot digitally in 3D, which to my knowledge makes this Scott's first feature not shot on film.

'Prometheus' Star Noomi Rapace Reveals 'Alien' Connection, Compares Her Character With Ripley

What a fantastic cast. So glad there's a thread for this.

beelzebozo said:
from now on, michael fassbender will be cast in all parts which would have previously gone to orlando bloom.

and the movies will all be ten times better as a result.

lol. Orlando Bloom sucks but he was actually not so bad in Kingdom of Heaven. He suited the character of the young knight.

And come on brah, Fassbender (as awesome as he is) can't be a Legolas.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Discotheque said:
lol. Orlando Bloom sucks but he was actually not so bad in Kingdom of Heaven. He suited the character of the young knight.

And come on brah, Fassbender (as awesome as he is) can't be a Legolas.

legolas is the one role which orlando bloom fit quite well.

he also could have done hilary swank's role in BOYS DON'T CRY.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Zeliard said:
I'm admittedly not quite up on my Alien lore. Thought it was the case that the Space Jockeys created them, but that basically nothing is known about those guys.
never confirmed. They could have created them or they could have just been using them like the company wanted to, with a slightly higher level of "success"

Tedesco!

scola said:
never confirmed. They could have created them or they could have just been using them like the company wanted to, with a slightly higher level of "success"

The Space Jockeys created them, if you consider the comics canon.

Replicant

Fassbender?

11bkv2h.jpg

Man

Tedesco! said:
The Space Jockeys created them, if you consider the comics canon.
Don't forget the predators and aliens on antartica in the present days.

Personally I'm not sure if I would include Aliens even in my personal vision of this canon. The Aliens are just 'dinosaurs' and animals in that film. In Alien it is truly an... alien.

I trust Ridley... but I don't trust FOX.
Between the ALIEN 'franchise' and X-Men, I feel there's been a lot of bed-shitting in the last decade and a half...

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Looking forward to this, because in my opinion, Ridley still has at least one more masterpiece in him, regardless of what his detractors say.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Edmond Dantès said:
Looking forward to this, because in my opinion, Ridley still has at least one more masterpiece in him, regardless of what his detractors say.
I agree with this statement.

TheJollyCorner said:
I trust Ridley... but I don't trust FOX.
Between the ALIEN 'franchise' and X-Men, I feel there's been a lot of bed-shitting in the last decade and a half...

Fox Film division != Fox TV

Ratrat

I predict Theron will be the token android character they'll throw in for fan service. Hopefully Crowe will get a cameo.

Dead

well not really...yet
Ratrat said:
I predict Theron will be the token android character they'll throw in for fan service. Hopefully Crowe will get a cameo.
Spoiler:

Fassbender is playing the android

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Man said:
Officially one movie and complete tale and not two like earlier stated. Animatronic(s) made for practical effects.
Movie is a slow crawl like the original Alien film with intense second half. Most likely a hard R.
I am all over this.

Holy farking shit. This is the best news since Nolan/Snyder on Superman.

Better. Alien/Blade Runner are still the pinnacle of Sci-Fi.

Ridley Scott tease in the Alien Anthology Blu-ray set:

uUWtx.jpg

Prometheus has also just started shooting in Toronto at Pinewood Studios for next three weeks.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
My interest was regained when they said it wouldn't be an Alien film, then plummeted again when that didn't turn out exactly true. I don't know how they can pull it off without ruining Alien as the first time mankind encountered xenomorphs.

Teh Hamburglar said:
Whats wrong with Fox film then?
Tom Rothman.

Seriously, what's the last significant Fox movie that was good? You've gotta go back at least a half decade if not more.

Avatar doesn't count. Cameron gets to do what he wants. Also, it wasn't good.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Dan said:
Tom Rothman.

Seriously, what's the last significant Fox movie that was good? You've gotta go back at least a half decade if not more.

Avatar doesn't count. Cameron gets to do what he wants. Also, it wasn't good.

in regards to your last statement, i watched TRUE LIES last night and it was so spectacular and fun and perfect that i couldn't believe this was the same director and i wanted to die.

scola said:

The company also made the Space Jockeys. You heard it here first guys. Prepare for stupid.

Dan said:
My interest was regained when they said it wouldn't be an Alien film, then plummeted again when that didn't turn out exactly true. I don't know how they can pull it off without ruining Alien as the first time mankind encountered xenomorphs.

So... everyone will die.

Problem solved.

Who said the aliens are the real threat? Something else can be the cause. Shit, the aliens will probably be shown once in a Vat of liquid or some BS like that.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
So is it a prequel or not? I thought they'd ditched the prequel idea, but this sounds like it's set in the same universe.

I'd really prefer it to be a standalone film, the mystery of the first Alien is one of it's strengths.

Man

DECK'ARD said:
So is it a prequel or not? I thought they'd ditched the prequel idea, but this sounds like it's set in the same universe.

I'd really prefer it to be a standalone film, the mystery of the first Alien is one of it's strengths.

Maybe but definitely in the same universe. However it is not sure if it's an event directly related to Alien 1. Read some serious spoilers I don't feel comfortable posting here, a pretty cool concept tied to the film besides what you expect.

Angry Fork

I haven't seen Alien 1/2 in a looong time, can someone explain again what the space jockey is, why it's important and why everyone wants to know about it? I can't remember the beginning of Alien so I'm not sure what people are talking about when they mention it.

Dead said:
Spoiler:

Fassbender is playing the android
I don't think that's a spoiler it was announced a few times openly, at least I hope it isn't because if it is that would suck for me as well...

DECK'ARD said:

They've said it's set in the same universe, and that there will be connections to Alien but it won't be a full prequel kind of thing, it'll be it's own. I think the majority of the connections they've alluded to have been in regards to the monster designs and overall tone.

Man

Angry Fork said:
I haven't seen Alien 1/2 in a looong time, can someone explain again what the space jockey is, why it's important and why everyone wants to know about it? I can't remember the beginning of Alien so I'm not sure what people are talking about when they mention it.

SpaceJockey.jpg

Seemingly the pilot on the alien ship containing Xenomorph eggs in Alien 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom