• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Protesters with Greenpeace climbs crane in DC to protest Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen Aku

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155043671056336&id=15704546335

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/231594915-story

WASHINGTON - Protesters with Greenpeace have scaled a crane in downtown D.C. in a protest against President Donald Trump.

The protest began around 8 a.m. when several protesters scaled the crane located on the site of the old 'Washington Post' building. The group took responsibility for the protest and said they will deploy a 70-foot by 35-foot banner with the word "Resist" on it. Seven protesters were involved in the climbing of the crane.

The protest is causing traffic delays near the intersection of 15th Street and L Street.

No arrests or injuries have been reported.

In a statement released after the protest began, activist and Greenpeace Inc. Board Chair Karen Topakian said, "People in this country are ready to resist and rise up in ways they have never done before."

"While Trump’s disdain and disrespect for our democratic institutions scare me," Topakian continued, "I am so inspired by the multigenerational movement of progress that is growing in every state. Greenpeace has used nonviolence to resist tyrannical bullies since 1971, and we’re not going to stop now."

Capt. Robert Glover of the Metropolitan Police Department told the Associated Press that when officers were called to the area of 15th and L streets Wednesday they found three people who weren't authorized to be at the site attached to the crane. He confirmed that another four people are now on the crane.

In a statement released on Twitter, D.C. Police said, "A small group of protesters have engaged in dangerous behavior in downtown Washington, D.C. While we respect everyone's right to protest, today's actions are extremely dangerous and unlawful. Multiple government resources are being tied up, and unfortunately streets are blocked while first responders try to safely address this matter."

WedgeX

Banned
Good.

I hope everyone stays safe.

edit:

Also, being at 15th and L, I am pretty sure that giant sign is pointed right at the White House, down Vermont Ave.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
The acrophobe in me gets dizzy imagining it, but good on them! Protesters have been putting in the work

Zen Aku

I made the mistake of reading the Facebook comments.

"Lol why are they protesting? Arrest them!"

"Bunch of liberal with no jobs! Wasting everyone's day!"

"Look at those liberal on welfare and food stamps. Nothing better to do. Hope those idiots falls."

"I hope I don't raise my kids to grow up like this. Crying about it when they don't get what they want."

"What are they even protesting about?!?!"

God, the average Fox News watchers are fucking terrifying. Is this how people really are? A bunch of uninformed hypocrites?

C.Mongler

This is literally around the corner from my office! Went to get coffee at 7-11 on this street this morning and saw a gaggle of police at the construction site blocking the road off; I just assumed maybe there was a bunch of trucks coming to/leaving the site this morning or something. Not sure why I thought that, as going to my desk and checking Twitter revealed to me there were people climbing the crane. The crowd that gathered starting cheering when they unrolled the banner just a few minutes ago. These are some bold ass protesters, those cranes are towering over the buildings in the area. Hopefully they don't get felony rioting charges thrown at them.

LakeEarth

Swear to god, I was thinking about the whole EPA thing this morning and thought "when's Greenpeace gonna start protesting?". Well there ya go.

PopeReal

God, the average Fox News watchers are fucking terrifying. Is this how people really are? A bunch of uninformed hypocrites?

What is funny is that Trump is fucking them too, they are just too dumb to realize it.

And (anecdotal time), the Trump supporters here in eastern Oregon really are like this. They are all in with what Trump is doing.

gatling

Good. I hope everywhere he turns, the dislike for him is there staring him in the face. Keeping pouting over the TV you chode.

HvySky

God, the average Fox News watchers are fucking terrifying. Is this how most people really are? A bunch of uninformed hypocrites?

FTFY, and yes, most of them do seem to be that way. It's one of the reasons I decided to bail on Facebook. So much hypocrisy, negativity, and outright hatred.

And all my coworkers will just bitch that they are just bitter they lost the election and those people should go out and get jobs and stop living off welfare or some shit. So hard to hold my tongue at work sometimes, nothing wrong with people protesting and standing up for their beliefs.

RMI

Banned
Can't wait for his press secretary to cry about it

"Donny says everybody is being REALLY unfair to him. He wouldn't even come down for breakfast this morning he is so upset. He just sat in his room playing Kryptonite over and over again on his mp3 player."

slit

You should only protest in Facebook comments form your home computer, those poor people stuck in traffic, what did they do to deserve this?

#lockemup

Don't forget about the protesters having blood on their hands because emergency vehicles supposedly can't get through.

Concept17

Yeah. What's weird to me is just the sheer number of them. Before the election I thought there were fewer and fewer and that they'd be outnumbered from 2008 on. Now I realize our education problem has been too big of a problem for too long.

Valhelm

contribute something
I was a fan until I realized these guys didn't get an official protest permit from the DC police or ask the crane owner for permission. Real estate magnates are just trying to make a living, and disruptions like this can really slow down the construction timeline.

Trump is bad and all, but it's more important that we respect property rights.

PopeReal

I was a fan until I realized these guys didn't get an official protest permit from the DC police or ask the crane owner for permission. Real estate magnates are just trying to make a living, and disruptions like this can really slow down the construction timeline.

LOL.

Order over justice.

slit

Eh pretty good. Just keep practicing.

Isak_Borg

Not all cranes!!!

Zen Aku

Yeah. What's weird to me is just the sheer number of them. Before the election I thought there were fewer and fewer and that they'd be outnumbered from 2008 on. Now I realize our education problem has been too big of a problem for too long.

They have just been hiding. Trump really empowered them to come out. Yeah we have a huge education problem, which lead to people not fact checking. I can't believe we live in a world now where there is a sizeable number of people that believe the words of one man and refuses to do the research, educates themselves to separate the facts from the lies.

"I hope I don't raise my kids to grow up like this. Crying about it when they don't get what they want."

What they want being a livable planet for future generations. How selfish of them.

LakeEarth

They have just been hiding. Trump really empowered them to come out. Yeah we have a huge education problem, which lead to people not fact checking. I can't believe we live in a world now where there is a sizeable number of people that believe the words of one man and refuses to do the research, educates themselves to separate the facts from the lies.

Hey, there's a picture on Facebook with words on it! Lets see here, "Hilary murdered someone with her bare hands and had sex with the corpse", whoop, there you go! It's official! No need to question it or put any thought to it anymore. Lock her up!

"Watch this video of a glacier collapsing due to global warming", that's just bullshit man, doctored, scientists just want money, that's all they want, they're biased and liars and hate God and are baby killers!

marrec

Banned
Credit to:

https://twitter.com/isabellegeczy/status/824277444450516992

3OmedAc.jpg

WedgeX

Banned

I assume this is satire. But if not. The same real estate magnates that flout DC's rule that one third of all housing developments must be for low income residents but have worked it so that applies mostly to upper-middle income?

So good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom