• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Protests in Phoenix over deportation Guadalupe García de Rayos, 7 arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/08/us/phoenix-guadalupe-garcia-de-rayos.html?_r=0

PHOENIX — For eight years, Guadalupe García de Rayos had checked in at the federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement office here, a requirement since she was caught using a fake Social Security number during a raid in 2008 at a water park where she worked.

Every year since then, she has walked in and out of the meetings after a brief review of her case and some questions.

But not this year.

On Wednesday, immigration agents arrested Ms. Rayos, 35, and began procedures to send her back to Mexico, a country she has not seen since she left it 21 years ago.

As a van carrying Ms. Rayos left the ICE building, protesters were waiting. They surrounded it, chanting, “Liberation, not deportation.” Her daughter, Jacqueline, joined in, holding a sign that read, “Not one more deportation.” One man, Manuel Saldana, tied himself to one of the van’s front wheels and said, “I’m going to stay here as long as it takes.”

Ms. Rayos was arrested just days after the Trump administration broadened the definition of “criminal alien,” a move that immigrants’ rights advocates say could easily apply to a majority of undocumented immigrants in the United States.

Seems to be picking up some steam on twitter. NBC reporter live tweeting @GadiNBC

Yes, let's punish a woman who's given 21 long, hard, productive and law abiding years to this country because why the fuck not.

Tagyhag

"All these damn immigrants want to rape our kids and gun us down for money"

"I just want a legit job and a normal life"

"Now they're taking our jobs too? Back to Mexico brownskin!"

painey

Yes, let's punish a woman who's given 21 long, hard, productive and law abiding years to this country because why the fuck not.

seems like she was arrested a few years back for identity theft which is why she was reporting to ICE in the first place

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN

Those are the people who deserve punishment the most. They have to understand that they need to be born into wealth, sent to the best schools, have a private doctor draft several letters to absolve you of being drafted into an admittedly bullshit war so you can later give veterans and other hard-working people shit and inherit millions. Didn't you realize this? I thought it was common sense. It's the American way!

Incase it wasn't painfully obvious, I was being sarcastic. I'm not even an American, but I'm just taken aback at all the shit going on there nowadays.

seems like she was arrested a few years back for identity theft which is why she was reporting to ICE in the first place
Because she was brought here as a minor before many laws dealing with that scenario were in place as a federal level and she needed one to have a job and support herself.

And as has been said, fake doesn't mean stolen.

From the article in case people don't read it or want to know why this case is a bigger issues, it might be the first of thousands to come.

That all changed under Mr. Trump. Among the 18 executive orders that he has issued since taking office on Jan. 20 is one stipulating that undocumented immigrants convicted of any criminal offense — and even those who have not been charged but are believed to have committed “acts that constitute a chargeable criminal offense” — have become a priority for deportation.
Lawyers from two of the nation’s leading civil rights’ groups said Ms. Rayos might be the first undocumented immigrant to be arrested during a scheduled meeting with immigration officials since Mr. Trump took office.

It's hard to focus on multiple things at once, but people seem to have forgotten about all of the southern border. And don't expect Trump to lose a court case about how much power he has to deport people here undocumented. If Trump. loses the court battle on the muslim ban, I expect him to ramp things up elsewhere to stroke his ego.

Wulfric

Add tearing hard working families to the list of shit Trump does. Oh wait, he already did that two weeks ago.

Magus1234

Here we go again. I remember around the time Bush was in office and my Mom was still an illegal immigrant, the fear was real. She had been in the States for over 13 years and was working as a dental assistant, I was a student at the time and the thought of her getting deported meant my families lives being undone. I do worry that now with so many issues arising that some issues will fall to the political wayside. People can't protest everyday and you can't back every issue, this political climate is just too much for any group to defend against.

Here we go again. I remember around the time Bush was in office and my Mom was still an illegal immigrant, the fear was real. She had been in the States for over 13 years and was working as a dental assistant, I was a student at the time and the thought of her getting deported meant my families lives being undone. I do worry that now with so many issues arising that some issues will fall to the political wayside. People can't protest everyday and you can't back every issue, this political climate is just too much for any group to defend against.

The 'smart' thing for them to do is rapid fire shit over the next six months to a year and then back off and softball things for a year to make people calm down during election time and then back to rapid fire again.

People have no attention span. Throw them a few bones and they'll get complacent.

studyguy

My mother still only has a greencard as well as a number of other aunts and uncles. Most of them have begun the path to citizenship out of fear. It's pretty nuts considering the bulk of them came here when they weren't even teens yet and now are afraid of getting booted out despite living the majority of their lives here productively, raising kids, sending them to college, owning homes, etc in the US.

dankir

It begins, they is just going to bolster his support though. He's promising to do exactly what he promised, even though its terrible.

:(

JordanN

Banned
Reposting since other thread got locked:

-Trump deports hard working people to Mexico
-They return to living in poverty
-He still asks Mexicans to pay for the wall

Does anyone else think this will create long term resentment in Mexico and possibly war?

rjinaz

Reposting since other thread got locked:

-Trump deports hard working people to Mexico
-They return to living in poverty
-He still asks Mexicans to pay for the wall

Does anyone else think this will create long term resentment in Mexico and possibly war?

Mexico should hate us. They are our neighbor, and we openly hate them and their people. I hope they find deals elsewhere. There won't be war, because I don't think they want to give the US their land which is what would happen. But they need to just cut us off and look elsewhere.

rjinaz

I feel so much safer knowing this person is being deported, said no one ever.

Oh I wouldn't be so sure. They wont admit it but there are people right now saying "good".

I think one less dirty criminal immigrant (in their minds) makes them feel safer. Yes they are that pathetic and convinced that somehow the worse the illegals feel, the better they will feel . Throw her kids across the border too!

The Latino voter participation rate is a good 10 to 15 points lower than the average. The black community in the US votes at rates just as high if not higher (black women) than the average white person. An all out effort to get Latino Americans involved in politics should be priority number one for the Democratic party.

And that means recruiting and backing Latino leaders anywhere they can be found.

Linkura

My mother still only has a greencard as well as a number of other aunts and uncles. Most of them have begun the path to citizenship out of fear. It's pretty nuts considering the bulk of them came here when they weren't even teens yet and now are afraid of getting booted out despite living the majority of their lives here productively, raising kids, sending them to college, owning homes, etc in the US.

Yeah my mother in law only has a green card as well. Been in the US 45+ years. She refuses to get citizenship because she would have to give up her Japanese citizenship. At least she has family to go to in Japan if Trump wanted to deport her for some reason (probably because she's taking social security that she earned over those 45+ years). Millions of immigrants don't have that luxury.

This deportation is sick and disgusting. Be prepared for many more stories like this. #FuckTrump

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
From the article in case people don't read it or want to know why this case is a bigger issues, it might be the first of thousands to come.

This is fucked. So you could throw a trumped up accusation and it instantly starts the deportation process? Sounds like it will be abused quite a bit

When the first ICE deportation squad gets attacked, we are going to have riots in border-cities. This will not end well at all.

sneas78

Banned
Fuck this lunatic. God damn chaos. I'm just going to stop posting.. it boils my blood. I just uhhh this president.

Linkark07

Banned
It begins, they is just going to bolster his support though. He's promising to do exactly what he promised, even though its terrible.

That is what is most awful. Along the fact Trump is trying to wage a war against minorities, it is also the fact there are humans beings being glad and gleefully enjoy watching all this. It saddens me and at the same time angers me how evil these people can be.

Damaniel

Banned

Indeed. Polling is showing that a majority of Americans already support the Muslim ban - why would they care if a few more brown people get shown the door too?

America disgusts me. The Americans that support this disgust me, and I'm ashamed to have to share space with them.

Cerium

First they came for the Muslims and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Muslim

Then they came for the illegal immigrants and I did not speak out—
Because I was not an illegal immigrant

Then they came for...

mike6467

The supporters in my family have one statement to all this. No exceptions, no consideration of context:

"Illegals means illegal, what part of that is unclear?"

rjinaz

The supporters in my family have one statement to all this. No exceptions, no consideration of context:

Why they give a shit when there is so many more things wrong with this country that actually DOES affect them personally. They'll never have an answer for that though. Not racism though.

Also would love to hear about what they think will happen to the economy once all the jobs only undocumented workers would do cant be filled.

JordanN

Banned

You should respond with "Everyone who is not Native American has to leave then?"

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I think, as the reaction of many Americans to the Muslim ban has shown, "law and order" is often just an excuse to those who hate brown people. The moment the government moves the goal posts to kick out people who followed the rules, tons of people cheer and approve.

There's a reason why Illegal has become a proper noun and used as a racist dog whistle for describing brown folks from mexico. What a lot of Americans really want is for being in America to be against the law for anyone who isn't white and, in their perception, a "native". (Native Americans say hi, guys.)

If nothing else, maybe, this will finally open the eyes of people who themselves have unconsciously just gone along with regulation and law as a guide to what is right and wrong. Especially in the case of immigration, in a country that enjoys telling a story about how it is a nation of immigrants when it wants to feel special about itself.

When the first ICE deportation squad gets attacked, we are going to have riots in border-cities. This will not end well at all.

It is the fan fiction writing itself in Bannon and Miller's heads.

If there is a push to begin asking Papers Please of every brown person on the street, fingermen are roaming, and trucks are sent to begin ripping people out of homes in quantity, all the elements will be in place.

Linkark07

Banned

Ask them this: are they willing to do all the hard work those "illegals do"? Are they willing to receive the same salary those "illegals" get?

Because you know, those illegal aliens are stealing their jobs.

tbm24

I tend to find people who speak like that have in fact done or do many things that would classify as illegal. Just throw it back at them. This story is just the beginning. The more it starts happening the more Trump is going to realize how angry people will get.

Damaniel

Banned

For a party that loves to talk about the importance of families, Republicans sure love to break them up in the name of sticking it to minorities.

Trump's election has exposed America for what it truly is. This country needs a reboot.

mike6467

Why they give a shit when there is so many more things wrong with this country that actually DOES affect them personally. They'll never have an answer for that though. Not racism though.

Also would love to hear about what they think will happen to the economy once all the jobs only undocumented workers would do cant be filled.

You should respond with "Everyone who is not Native American has to leave then?"

Yeah, it's a lost cause at this point. It starts with whatever bullshit GOP talking point they heard that day, and as soon as I bring up actual facts, or ANY argument whatsoever, it goes into "I don't want to talk about this, I believe this and you can believe whatever you want."

It's why I only attend the bigger family events and avoid politics like the plague. They fire shots and then put their fingers in their ears, and because they mostly agree with one another any actual truths get drowned out. Me, my brother and his wife have gotten to the point where we wince and do whatever we can to dodge that stuff.

The easiest way to make sure he wins the next election is by arresting all the voters who don't agree with him.

And the easiest way for the Democrats to win is to get Latino Americans to line up behind them. They have yet to fully engage in the political process and it's now or never. The enemy is clear - the Republican party. They had the choice of embracing Latinos or doubling down on racism and they made their choice. If we want to take these assholes down the effort has to start and end with Latino engagement. If we don't fight for them and with them the future is bleak.

rjinaz

Yeah, it's a lost cause at this point. It starts with whatever bullshit GOP talking point they heard that day, and as soon as I bring up actual facts, or ANY argument whatsoever, it goes into "I don't want to talk about this, I believe this and you can believe whatever you want."

It's why I only attend the bigger family events and avoid politics like the plague. They fire shots and then put their fingers in their ears, and because they mostly agree with one another any actual truths get drowned out. Me, my brother and his wife have gotten to the point where we wince and do whatever we can to dodge that stuff.

I've learned the hard way to just not talk politics with my family, which also means I ignore them on facebook when they spew their hatred. There is just no winning. Many of the family that does it are old, they are not long for this world. I don't want a war with them before they pass. The younger people I am not that close to like cousins I don't ever see, I just unfollow.

1) She's brown
2) She's "an illegal"

That's all some people care about.

Ask them if they ever said that about their president and his various illegal business con jobs over the years.

This is so gross I don't even know what to say... well expect to all the shitbags who are applauding this in the MSN comments. To those people all I can say is it's too bad the Native Americans didn't treat your ancestors they way you treat these people who are just looking to make a better life for themselves.

Being completely ignorant on the process, what we would she have to do to become a legal citizen?

Her children were born here, they could sponsor her if they are 21+ but the problem is her arrest in 2013 for using a fake/stolen social security number at a job plus being deported this week. Form I-130 is used to sponsor a parent for a permanent residency, and while it does not have anything about arrests it does ask if the person has had previous immigration issues and deportation would count. I sponsored my wife's parents as PR's and it took about 3 months to process in 2012 after which they can come and go without problems (they are chinese).

I'm not sure why they didn't try to legally bring her into the country before this, I believe her husband and both kids are citizens so while there may have been a period during which she had to reside outside the country while a I-130 is being processed, as it stands because she was actually deported things become much, much harder. I-130 does not bar people who are deported from being PR's, but it essentially becomes up to a judge to push it through since I'd imagine the default case is denial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom