• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS NOW. Rentals from US$2.99 to US$19.99.

Laconic

Banned
Just wait until this is the only model of play available to you.

Laugh now... and keep on paying for Live and PS+.

It's coming.

Rival

Gold Member
The only thing I could think where $20 to rent a game would be even a consideration, would be for a lifetime rental. Say you pay $20 to "rent" God of War 3, and you can play it anytime you want, any day you want, for the life of the PlayStation Now service.

I would compare that to what I do many times now, I buy a game new for $48 (thanks Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked) and turn around and sell/trade it for $30-$40 within a couple of months. I basically lose about $18 to play the game for a few months. So I could see people pay $20 to have the game forever, or at least be able to stream it.

HOWEVER, this whole scenario would be in direct competition with the PlayStation Store and retailers, so I doubt that will ever happen. BUT, wouldn't a simple monthly subscription fee also be a direct competitor? I guess it just depends on how much the big publishers get in a kick back.

I feel like if I'm spending $20 on a game that is being distributed digitally I should "own" the game and be able to play it directly from my hard drive. I see your point with the gamers club but doing that you also have the choice to keep a physical copy forever. It just seems silly to me to pay $20 to rent something that frequently you can own a physical copy for only a little bit more. I think a netflix model would work best for this but really the last thing I need is another monthly bill.

PBY

Banned
What sounds more absurd if you want to play a big exclusive game but don't own the console, $20 for a game rental or $400 for a console plus whatever the price is to buy the game? Like I said, this pricing model would clearly not be aimed towards enthusiasts.
We're in a post Netflix world. Were in a world where for 200 bux plus ps plus you can get a ps3 w a shitton of games. Were in a ps+ world where 5 bux a month nets you two new games even on ps4.

20 bucks a month for an unlimited rental service for OLD games would be pushing it, let alone paying 20 bucks for one game.

Krist, $20 for a rental is freaking ludicrous. Redbox is $2/night, which is more than enough time to beat most modern single-player games.

God, I hope this pricing model bites them in the ass. As a person who has NEVER owned a PS system up through 4, this service is brilliant... but the fact that Sony is getting too cocky to pay attention to seriously competitive pricing trends is troublesome.

Oh well. Baby steps.

MilesTeg

Banned
Sorry if late, but only way this works is a Netflix like situation. Very similar to PS+ actually. Base price, new games every month. Cheap rentals work too but that can't be the base model. Not when flash PSN sales are a thing.

Trogdor1123

Id pay $20 a month for access to a library of back catalog games for sure. Wouldnt bother me at all... I dont like the idea of one off items though.

Sporty

Neo Member
They better have some subscription model that's attractive. Some of those PSN titles would be cheaper to buy than rent for 7 days

Dudes need to chill. You guys act like the $20 price tag is for a day. The majority are hitting 15 for a month and 20+ for 3 months. Far from absurd.

If you're looking to play at least 3+ games a month obviously the future sub will suite you. But for casuals the week/monthly prices look ok. The only stupid thing is the 4 hour rental. The unlimited stream is a pipe dream (for now at least). A sub model will probably be 4 games for 20 bucks a month or 2 for 10.

PBY

Banned
Dudes need to chill. You guys act like the $20 price tag is for a day. The majority are hitting 15 for a month and 20+ for 3 months. Far from absurd.

If you're looking to play at least 3+ games a month obviously the future sub will suite you. But for casuals the week/monthly prices look ok. The only stupid thing is the 4 hour rental. The unlimited stream is a pipe dream (for now at least). A sub model will probably be 4 games for 20 bucks a month or 2 for 10.
It's pretty nuts man when you realize you can buy games from a newer generation at less that price and that ps+ let's you keep NEW games for half that price.

The way to do it is $10-15/ month for a rotating selection of titles similar to psplus.

Also buying games outright should be allowed.

For example, if I buy ICO for PS3, I should then be able to boot up ICO and play it on my Vita using psnow.

Also I could pick from the 5 selected streaming games that month or play the streaming demos they have available, or jump into someone's stream and watch them play.

They should use the service to drive purchasing instead of thinking people are going to pay in these weird ways for old games just because the tech is good.

What sounds more absurd if you want to play a big exclusive game but don't own the console, $20 for a game rental or $400 for a console plus whatever the price is to buy the game? Like I said, this pricing model would clearly not be aimed towards enthusiasts.

You can find most PS3 games used for dirt cheap. I think I would buy the console. And who the hell pays $400 for a PS3? More like $250 with a bundled in game. And that is brand new. You can get a used PS3 for much cheaper.

PSNow is crazy. The pricing is insane and I don't even get who they are targeting with this? Like who!? The only thing that makes sense is they want to eventually get out of the consumer hardware business and offer this service on any device... and that shit ain't happening for some time. So yeah, I'm still puzzled.

This applies to old games but what about new games. I think there is a nice idea for Sony to open this up for publishers to put PS4 games. Every publisher knows people will rent games. Ether by redbox or gamefly. Publishers lose sales and money on rent games but what if Sony opens up PSNow to publishers to use the platform to rent there new games. They could rent brand new games for 20 dollars for a week and make a profit. They know people will rent games ether way so why not make some money from renting. Sony could take a % of the the overall rent money. This way publishers agree to put there clasic games ps3, ps2 and ps1 games on PSNow. PSNow opens up a lot of different possibilities for old and new games.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Just wait until this is the only model of play available to you.

Laugh now... and keep on paying for Live and PS+.

It's coming.

Yep... and everyone will just turn a blind eye until it's to late.

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Sorry I wasn't specific. From my understanding, they have sets of free and paid games in the beta. I don't think you can try the paid games unless you pay up.

I have no money in my wallet and it won't let me download. So maybe?

Yeah, this is what I am talking about. I don't think it'll let you play without adding funds.

Edit: And you've been charged. :(

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Oh wow, I hadn't even seen the games with actual prices.
The few I checked all were listed as free for various rental times.

shem935

Banned
Wait, what made you guys think they would list the price and not charge you?

The part where it's a beta that we are testing maybe? That up to this point all the games have been free so that we can test the service? I don't know just surprising I guess. Guess I won't be testing the system anymore.

Wait, what made you guys think they would list the price and not charge you?
Whoa ive had prices be listed and then not charge me because at the final checkout screen it said free.

Also 7 dollars for 7 days is the most reasonable price honestly. They can follow the Redbox price of 2 dollars a day and get away with that too.

CLBridges

I have the Beta for this on PS4. The prices don't seem to bad, but I'll probably rarely use this service. On another note, I "rented" a game called Eat Lead: Return of Matt Hazard just to test out the service. Horrible, horrible game! I mean, why would a developer even waste time making something so shit lol. Sorry, just wanted to rant a little.

FFXIII-2 prices from a GameFAQs thread, so take them with a grain of salt (although there is a picture in the thread, and multiple posters have confirmed them):

Final Fantasy XIII-2
$4.99 for 4 Hours
$7.99 for 7 days
$14.99 for 30 days
$29.99 for 90 days.

GAF mods: pls don't ban me if false, I like this site (and note the disclaimers above, I'm not trying to pass this off as fact)

Sony legal ninjas: I'm not in the beta, so I haven't signed any NDAs. Ha!

lulz I refuse to believe. That sounds absolutely terrible.

And if they (or any company) are really renting out games by the hour like that, they can go f*ck themselves.

smoothj

I assume it will be $20 for a month. I mean GameFly is $15.99 a month. The thing is that it is $15 a month for as many games as you can get in.

This will be interesting.

the_champ

Banned
This.
People need to stop saying Gamefly.
Gamefly is only useful if you want to play PS3-4 games, and if you have those consoles.
PS Now offering is different, and is mainly targeting at other groups without a console.
The PS3-4 owners are probably the minority focus group.

Sony is trying to do a set top box with Vita TV, addon for their TV lines, and into mobile devices: phone, Vita, tablet.

If parents can sub for their kids at $20/m to avoid buying console/game each year, they will probably do it.
Heck, probably MS fans will sub into it to try PS games they've never tried.

This is absolutely right IMO. Both Sony and MS want to position their platforms (Now, Live) as entertainment services available for a wider audience.
Key to be success on this model (where Netflix and Spotify were pioneers), is to have a great, extent catalog of content.
IF the offer is 1 game per month at 20 dollars, it will fail.
IF Sony is able to close deals with major game producers (Ubisoft, EA, Rockstar, etc) and offers that catalog for a reasonable price (25 MAX per month) that would actually work.
Now, negotiating with that major players is not easy at all, and takes a lot of time (see netflix with HBO and other big players in example). ALSO, and not less important, net neutrality is a big issue that would potentially make the entire online gaming business unprofitable in any scenario.

jwk94

From the prices pointed here, the reasonable thing to do will be free 4 hour of rental with PS+, and PS+ related discounts.

One time rental or just 4 hours in general? I mean that would be cumbersome to have to renew every four hours but I'd be ok with it.

Top Bottom