• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS NOW. Rentals from US$2.99 to US$19.99.

Is it wrong that I'm kind of okay with this?

I'm wanting a PS4 but never got a PS3. Hate having clutter and physical media...so 20 bucks for a month would be ok with me

jcm

"Bad business" is a matter of perspective, but I feel this is a massive misstep in Sony's case. Look, I'm not in the habit of telling anyone how they should spend their money, but when you support a business model that clearly isn't consumer friendly, you legitimize it and forfeit your right to complain. Economics isn't about morality or ethics; It's about making (or saving) money. From a company standpoint, if people are willing to pay whatever price you've set for your product, then you sell it at that price. The goal of a company (especially a publically traded one), is to make money. It is incumbent on the consumer to determine if that price is fair or not. Sadly, way too many gamers are apologists and willingly support any business model a developer/publisher puts forth (ala 2KSports and their horrid VC) and this is the primary reason why the industry is being overrun with microtransactions.

When gamers speak with their wallets as much as they complain online, microtransactions will go away.

Gamers have spoken with their wallets, which is why microtransactions aren't going anywhere. Gamers like them and buy them.

I don't see what's consumer unfriendly about PS Now. It's a rental service. If you aren't interested in it, you can still buy new games on disc or digital, or used games on disc. I don't expect I'll personally use it much, but it's nice to have the option to rent a game for a week if I want to.

Capella

The wording in the OP makes it sound like the subscription service will be an option post launch...which is a little disappointing :/

In Canada, I tried renting the new liam Nielson movie. It cost 7.99.

That was for a 2 hour movie for a day.

A movie ticket costs $10+ dollars.

For 8.99 or less, you can rent a game for 7 days. People keep harping on that 4 hour option. Ignore it.

I think the 7 day option I'd a good value.

For me, its a great cost/time ratio. A week of play is usually enough for lots of games for me. Wolfwnstein for example would be a great 1 week game.

/now waits for someone to bring up the 4 hour option argument again.

Plus, a lapdance costs $40 and only lasts a few minutes.

As much as AAA games would love to be movies, it should be clear from this thread that many people don't value them in the same ways. PSNow needs to be modeled after how people value games if it is going to be successful.

Compbros

"Bad business" is a matter of perspective, but I feel this is a massive misstep in Sony's case. Look, I'm not in the habit of telling anyone how they should spend their money, but when you support a business model that clearly isn't consumer friendly, you legitimize it and forfeit your right to complain. Economics isn't about morality or ethics; It's about making (or saving) money. From a company standpoint, if people are willing to pay whatever price you've set for your product, then you sell it at that price. The goal of a company (especially a publically traded one), is to make money. It is incumbent on the consumer to determine if that price is fair or not. Sadly, way too many gamers are apologists and willingly support any business model a developer/publisher puts forth (ala 2KSports and their horrid VC) and this is the primary reason why the industry is being overrun with microtransactions.

When gamers speak with their wallets as much as they complain online, microtransactions will go away.

I don't think it's a misstep, it's an optional service that people can use to play games of previous gens or not. The pricing may be not up to what some people would want/expect but it's definitely not a bad business practice to offer their service in an open beta with what people should expect in terms of pricing. There are things Sony have done that I've really disagreed with but opening this up to everyone and saying "these are the prices, we're working to lower them or offer subscription services but this is what it is now" is hardly bad business.

kmg90

Not sure if I'm breaking a NDA but the pricing structure for games are as follows for some games or if someone already listed but here are the prices atm...

Edit: I'm pretty sure I'm not breaking NDA, Playstation Now is specifically mentioned in the ToS and doesn't say any thing about not being permitted to store information

• 2.99-4.99 -- 4 Hours
  • 5.99-7.99 -- 7 days
  • 7.99-14.99 -- 30 days
  • 14.99-24.99 -- 90 days

Direct capture from PS4...

20140619131442.jpg

20140619131452.jpg

icespide

Banned
Not sure if I'm breaking a NDA but the pricing structure for games are as follows for some games or if someone already listed but here are the prices atm...

• 2.99-4.99 -- 4 Hours
  • 5.99-7.99 -- 7 days
  • 7.99-14.99 -- 30 days
  • 14.99-24.99 -- 90 days

20140619131442.jpg

20140619131452.jpg

if you're not sure, why would you post this?

• 2.99-4.99 -- 4 Hours
  • 5.99-7.99 -- 7 days
  • 7.99-14.99 -- 30 days
  • 14.99-24.99 -- 90 days

20140619131442.jpg

20140619131452.jpg

I think they've been posted before. But I guess pics are good for people who don't have it.

Also broken images dude.

Nander

• 2.99-4.99 -- 4 Hours
  • 5.99-7.99 -- 7 days
  • 7.99-14.99 -- 30 days
  • 14.99-24.99 -- 90 days

20140619131442.jpg

20140619131452.jpg

4 hours? Not even a day? There should really at least be one more level between 4 hours and 7 days, and one more between 7 and 30 days.

If it's too expensive or not depends on what games we are talking about. If that's for PS3 games, then it's ridiculous.

EDIT: Pics work now. Way too expensive for those two games.

prag16

Banned
$20 rental???? Unless it's a brand new game for 3 months or so, there's no possible way that could be worth it.

EDIT:

• 2.99-4.99 -- 4 Hours
  • 5.99-7.99 -- 7 days
  • 7.99-14.99 -- 30 days
  • 14.99-24.99 -- 90 days

20140619131442.jpg

20140619131452.jpg

GTFO of here... if that's real, they're on crack.

Winter John

Gold Member
Dear God, Alpha Protocol is a great game but those prices can't be right. That's madness. I would understand if it was part of a bundle of games, but you could probably buy it for $1.99

meanspartan

• 2.99-4.99 -- 4 Hours
  • 5.99-7.99 -- 7 days
  • 7.99-14.99 -- 30 days
  • 14.99-24.99 -- 90 days

20140619131442.jpg

20140619131452.jpg

DOA.

And Sony should thank those like you for breaking NDA, if they are lucky everyone will now make clear to them that this pricing is bullshit.

For new games, maybe I'd be down for certain titles. But the back catalogue?

$10-15 a month subscription service with unlimited access or GTFO.

Squalor

I can't believe there are people who are defending this price structure.

It's absurd. Sony is beyond stupid for this.

Freeman

Banned
Nasty prices.

7 days rental might be worth for some games, if you know you will never play them again and you have the time to beat them (it will depend on how much the complete game costs).

4 hours is absolutely useless, had to be 4 days.

To me it would make much more sense if this was just a feature of PlayStation, buy the game and chose to stream or download them if want, maybe add a subscription to the service (something like $7.99 but you get 5$ back at in your PS Store wallet).

"Pay $7.99 a month, get 5$ back to spend on the game you want and have access to your games over streaming"

lol at 4 hour rentals. I'd pay maybe 25 or 50 cents for that. You go to Red Box and you can rent a game for a day for $2, and if you rent it right after midnight you get it for essentially 2 days since they define it is "9PM the next day."

marcellok

I can't make threads yet, so I'll just post this here. I live in Canada and managed to get a Beta code through downloading the E3 app with my US account. The beta "store" loaded up and I could rent games, but my connection wasn't good enough to play them, until this update. It seems they have opened the servers, or extended them, or something. I'm in Calgary, so kind of close to the border, and just wanted to let any other Canadians who had managed to get into through one way or another know that there is a chance they can participate now. I played Pacific Rim, and there was slight lag, but nothing that affected gameplay.

I can't make threads yet, so I'll just post this here. I live in Canada and managed to get a Beta code through downloading the E3 app with my US account. The beta "store" loaded up and I could rent games, but my connection wasn't good enough to play them, until this update. It seems they have opened the servers, or extended them, or something. I'm in Calgary, so kind of close to the border, and just wanted to let any other Canadians who had managed to get into through one way or another know that there is a chance they can participate now. I played Pacific Rim, and there was slight lag, but nothing that affected gameplay.

Yea anybody who couldn't play before might be able to since I couldn't until this new update.

Ocelott

I think you guys are missing the point...This services is not intended for everyone...This service is mainly intended for Casuals...I don't have a problem with the pricing myself

meanspartan

Casuals play for free.

Exactly. You think this pricing structure is gonna pull them away from their smartphones or Facebook games?

And if you mean the casuals who buy one or two games a year like COD and Madden, you still won't get them either with this model.

WHo the hell is this for?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
These prices are a joke.

It will be a delicate balancing act from our side to encourage the service itself while discouraging the publisher's prices at the same time.

Capella

Sorry if this has been posted already but @yosp did comment on the current pricing.

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/479531137673351169

Duke Magnem ‏@DukeMagnem 13h
@yosp So let me see if I've got this right: Sony wants me to pay then $5 to beta test PS Now for 4 hours? Are you serious? #thanksnothanks

@yosp
@DukeMagnem we are testing price and rental period, do not pay if you do not feel for it

So I'm guessing it isn't final? I hope not...

Exactly. You think this pricing structure is gonna pull them away from their smartphones or Facebook games?

And if you mean the casuals who buy one or two games a year like COD and Madden, you still won't get them either with this model.

WHo the hell is this for?

Seems like Sony is marketing this towards Playstation TV, Bravia TVs and Vita.

kmg90

Again takes these current prices with half a grain of salt, these may change for public beta (I don't see it happen as charging more to private beta testers than when its publicly launched seems a bit nefarious)
as the publisher says THQ (and not Deep Silver)

Some games only have specific rental periods available

20140619134549.jpg

Finally the farmers who only have that Sony PS-Now capable TV but not a PC or Console to play it on can practice their trade!
Or for 5 dollars more (and with 360 or PS3) buy it and own it forever
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FNNQRII/?tag=neogaf0e-20
20140619134505.jpg

spwolf

I think you guys are missing the point...This services is not intended for everyone...This service is mainly intended for Casuals...I don't have a problem with the pricing myself

it depends what ends up being pricing for "real" games... but obviously, publishers will not let this happen unless it makes them more money than now.

RPGCrazied

If there is no all you can play buffet subscription, then I see no point in this. Depends on that and its selection. I have a feeling the selection for the all you can play a month plan is going to be not that great.

Lrrr

Gamers have spoken with their wallets, which is why microtransactions aren't going anywhere. Gamers like them and buy them.

I was talking about the gamers who dislike microtransactions when I said, "When gamers speak with their wallets as much as they complain online..."

Exis

Eh... I was in the beta and was very impressed with the performance and would use it if I had not had Gamefly for most of the PS3 generation, the beta did lead to me buying a few downloadable games though.

icespide

Banned
been thinking about this a lot today and here is a stream of consciousness of my thoughts.

the perceived value of digital goods is pretty weird right?

out of the context of games, $20 for 90 days of potential fun seems like a great deal! now it's a video game, and there's a physical version of it for less than $20 that I could keep forever, now it feels like a rip off. if the physical version never existed would it feel better? if it was a completely original game would it feel better? It seems like you have to factor in the fact that you're actually streaming this game which lets you play on an incompatible piece of hardware. The physical version requires you have to a piece of hardware that you may not have. Should the price of that hardware be factored into the value proposition?

a subscription feels better right? $20 a month to play whatever you want? yes that sounds awesome. now, given the amount of free time I have and the amount of cool new PS4 games I'd rather play, how many games will I actually play on my subscription? One a month? One every 3 months? Practically I might end up paying for the $20 for the same amount of time with a game as the non subscription model. Overtime I'm actually receiving LESS value if you factor in the months that I pay but not play anything. People will actually end up paying MORE to play LESS. for some reason though, this feels better, it's a better value because the potential for stuff I could do is huge.

I digress, my main point is that the value of digital goods is weird, and a lot of these "they're on crack!!!" reactions are very kneejerk. If this streaming game rentals market takes off, then the market will dictate what prices work and what people will pay for, someone's gotta start somewhere though.

I would pay 40 bucks for 4 hours if I had to. We need to support Sony in this area. This must become the standard.

Sony. I pay you 40 if the system works in the end.

40 US AMERICAN BUCKS.

Yours,

Franck

cakely

I really can't claim to understand this pricing model.

I typically buy full games, simply by waiting, for those prices.

It will be interesting to see how this received, and what happens after it's received.

Sanke__

Yeah they are fucking insane.

4 hour rental is stupid.

Over $5 is stupid.

The prices make it seem like they are new week old games.

Also I did not appropriately brace myself for how angry I would be that I can't play games for free that I purchased digitally on ps3.

RMI

Banned
I have spent more than $4 on 90% of the games in my steam library, and have played them collectively for much much less than 4 hours each. I suspect I'm not alone in this...

Still, if this is the model they're going with, color me UNEXCITED.

Top Bottom