• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita 4GB 8GB 16GB & 32GB cards (picture)

Takao

Banned
Izayoi said:
How on earth is that reasonable? You can get a 16GB SD card for under $20. Hell, you can get a 32GB one for around $40!

That's nice, but can you use those SDHC cards on the PlayStation Vita? No. So they're not relevant. I can buy portable hard-drives for $150 that can have 500GB+ of storage. But that shit means nothing here.

Sony has seen Apple makes loads off of scamming people with proprietary accessories. They're emulating that. Heck, next people will complain that the Vita doesn't use Mini-USB like PSP, but rather a PSPgo like USB cable.

Apath

Izayoi said:
How on earth is that reasonable? You can get a 16GB SD card for under $20. Hell, you can get a 32GB one for around $40!
Perception of value varies. For me, if the Vita were announced to cost $250 for the standard Wi-Fi model and $300 with one that includes 16GB of storage, I'd go with the latter. For that reason $50 for 16GB seems reasonable to me. Of course it's not ideal, but it's a price to pay for a cheap price point on a closed system.

I'd also expect to upgrade after a few years when prices go down.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Raistlin said:
Performing as good as class 10 is supposed to, consistently, would be an improvement.
Actually to be entirely fair - if you buy SanDisk products, their Class2 will outperform (by considerable margin) Class6 products from other makers. That said, the debate is moot - Vita cards are roughly the same size as Micros, so no adapters.

Izayoi said:
Yeah yeah, and you can get a 1tb external hdd for $75. But you see there is a rule on technology, if it performs better, and is smaller, it will cost more. The only thing that can compare to those cards shown in size factor are microsd cards.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Fafalada said:
Actually to be entirely fair - if you buy SanDisk products, their Class2 will outperform (by considerable margin) Class6 products from other makers.
And their class 10 stuff is usually pretty consistent at staying near the proper speeds.

Raistlin

Fafalada said:
Actually to be entirely fair - if you buy SanDisk products, their Class2 will outperform (by considerable margin) Class6 products from other makers. That said, the debate is moot - Vita cards are roughly the same size as Micros, so no adapters.
That's my point. For people throwing out prices, they need to consider the form-factor (micro), actual sustainable read/write speeds, and reliability.

Izayoi

Banned
Takao said:
That's nice, but can you use those SDHC cards on the PlayStation Vita? No. So they're not relevant. I can buy portable hard-drives for $150 that can have 500GB+ of storage. But that shit means nothing here.
So I'm just supposed to be okay with that?

Raistlin said:
How about comparing apples to apples?
Uh...

King Cobra said:
Yeah yeah, and you can get a 1tb external hdd for $75. But you see there is a rule on technology, if it performs better, and is smaller, it will cost more. The only thing that can compare to those cards shown in size factor are microsd cards.
Oh... kay? You can get a MicroSD card that's the same size for literally two dollars more.

BroHuffman said:
Because I'm not unreasonable.
So then reasonable in this case is being cool with a company blatantly and shamelessly ripping you off?

Izayoi said:
Oh... kay? You can get a MicroSD card that's the same size for literally two dollars more.
And with what write and read rate? A class 10 microsd card has "decent" transfer rates and cost around $85 for a 32gb model. Now unless these new sony cards have worse performance there is no reason for you to be having an episode if sony prices the 32gb model at $99. You know there are times where you actually get for what you pay for.

Izayoi said:
So then reasonable in this case is being cool with a company blatantly and shamelessly ripping you off?

Personally I'd be more concerned with Nintendo selling you Steel Diver for the same price that Sony is selling you Uncharted. Or porting N64 games and charging $40 for them. But that's just me. I guess you plan on buying more memory cards than games.....

We don't know what the pricing on the cards are yet, so there is no point in throwing a hissyfit about the matter.

You only need to buy one card, so in the end does it really matter if it costs $30 more than you'd like it to?

Takao

Banned
Izayoi said:
So I'm just supposed to be okay with that?

You don't have to be. Retail is still an option, and you don't need a memory card for save data or DLC there. If you want to buy PSN-only games, then buy a memory stick within the size requirements for those games.

Huff

Banned
Izayoi said:

Lol, I haven't even bought anything yet. And we don't know prices. Nor know if they are going to rip us off.

But a microSD card and a SD card will not only be different in sizes, but also in prices. And a high quality card will also be more expensive. Who'da thought? Thats why you comparison didn't make sense.

Nome

Meh. I'll probably just buy some knockoffs from dealextreme.com or some other cheap Chinese/HK online retailer. I did that for their Pro Duos with my Sony Ericsson phone.

Key2001

XiaNaphryz said:
Well, aren't some 32 GB SDHC cards up in the $100 range for class 10 speeds MSRP wise?

The prices on SanDisks website is the MSRP for their cards correct? If so I believe the SanDisk 32GB class 2 SDHC card has a MSRP of over $100, the 16GB version has a MSRP of over $60.

Just as with every other memory stick and brand I expect the MSRP for these to be expensive when Sony announces them and I can only imagine what it is going to be like when they do despite the fact they won't cost near the MSRP.

Takao

Banned
Nome said:
Meh. I'll probably just buy some knockoffs from dealextreme.com or some other cheap Chinese/HK online retailer. I did that for their Pro Duos with my Sony Ericsson phone.

That shit gonna be ssssssssssssssllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Izayoi

Banned
Raistlin said:
Yeah, shake my head at your incredibly witty retort. Well done. Take the time to write a proper response, maybe?

King Cobra said:
And with what write and read rate? A class 10 microsd card has "decent" transfer rates and cost around $85 for a 32gb model. Now unless these new sony cards have worse performance there is no reason for you to be having an episode if sony prices the 32gb model at $99. You know there are times where you actually get for what you pay for.
I really doubt that Sony is going to offer anything near class 10 speed on these, but I guess we'll see.

outunderthestars said:
Personally I'd be more concerned with Nintendo selling you Steel Diver for the same price that Sony is selling you Uncharted. Or porting N64 games and charging $40 for them. But that's just me. I guess you plan on buying more memory cards than games.....

We don't know what the pricing on the cards are yet, so there is no point in throwing a hissyfit about the matter.

You only need to buy one card, so in the end does it really matter if it costs $30 more than you'd like it to?
Right, because I bought Steel Driver.

Yes it does matter, because I don't own a PSP and will be buying a lot of games off of PSN. If I'm going to have to buy a bunch of overpriced memory I'm going to be a very unhappy camper.

Takao said:
You don't have to be. Retail is still an option, and you don't need a memory card for save data or DLC there. If you want to buy PSN-only games, then buy a memory stick within the size requirements for those games.
I never owned a PSP, which means I missed out on tons of great games. Unfortunately for me that means that retail isn't a viable option, because there's no UMD support.

BroHuffman said:
But a microSD card and a SD card will not only be different in sizes, but also in prices. And a high quality card will also be more expensive. Who'da thought? Thats why you comparison didn't make sense.
I find it highly unlikely that Sony will offer decent speeds for a reasonable price. If that were the case why would they not offer a format that allows competition? If they're trying to reduce or stop piracy they're delaying the inevitable and legitimate consumers are going to get fucked over as a result.

playstation-vita-201106071048119041.jpg

Personally I think this will be the price point(s)

Gravijah

360 HDDs part 2. :(
outunderthestars said:

I'm more concerned Sony is selling Uncharted at the same price as Wipeout. One is going to be the game to get for the Vita, the other... Uncharted.

Izayoi said:
Y

Yes it does matter, because I don't own a PSP and will be buying a lot of games off of PSN. If I'm going to have to buy a bunch of overpriced memory I'm going to be a very unhappy camper.

Nobody is forcing you to keep all of your content on your memory card at all times. Buy a cheaper 16GB card, which should hold 10-20 games, possibly more if you're buying alot of psp games.

King Cobra, my bet on the memory:

4GB: $25
8GB: $40
16GB: $60
32GB: $100

Huff

Banned
Izayoi said:
I find it highly unlikely that Sony will offer decent speeds for a reasonable price. If that were the case why would they not offer a format that allows competition? If they're trying to reduce or stop piracy they're delaying the inevitable and legitimate consumers are going to get fucked over for it.

Because Sony is a company that doesn't always go with better tech? And this time around seems conscious of the market and pricing...

You can have competitive prices without having direct competition.

You are blaming Sony for their customers inevitably getting fucked over if hackers attack them again? Blaming Sony for trying to protect their system from piracy? Okay lol

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Vita price announced: everyone rejoices.

Potential for price gouging appears worrying: people call you a Nintendo lover who enjoys paying $40 for ports (it's a remake, ignoramus, the port is $10 on VC).

Gottta love you guys, nope, not fanboyish at all.

Of course it's not confirmed. People are worried, that is all.

And yes, the price matters even if it's one time (not that wanting to have a second or third is out of the question). That's why people were hyped after Vita's price announcement.

Izayoi said:
I really doubt that Sony is going to offer anything near class 10 speed on these, but I guess we'll see.
You really like talking out of your booty huh? Their pro duo psp cards from 5 years ago are faster than class 10 micro sd cards of today.

Izayoi

Banned
BroHuffman said:
You are blaming Sony for their customers inevitably getting fucked over if hackers attack them again? Blaming Sony for trying to protect their system from piracy? Okay lol
Do you buy GFWL games? Ubisoft games for the PC? It's the same bullshit. Legitimate customers getting fucked over by absolutely ridiculous anti-piracy measures.

King Cobra said:
You really like talking out of your booty huh? Their pro duo psp cards from 5 years ago are faster than class 10 micro sd cards of today.
Actually I'm not, because while yes, they're faster, they're also far more expensive.

Gravijah said:
I am going to pray hard tonight that you are wrong.

32GB high speed micro sd cards currently sell for $80 - $90 at most retail stores. I'd estimate a 10 - 20% drop in the 6-9 months between now and the Vita launch, then the normal 25% Sony price premium and you're looking right at $100.

Izayoi said:
Actually I'm not, because while yes, they're faster, they're also far more expensive.
So you're in shock that something that is better and newer, is also more expensive?

ps. Drew from Wii60. I expected as much lol

outunderthestars said:
32GB high speed micro sd cards currently sell for $80 - $90 at most retail stores. I'd estimate a 10 - 20% drop in the 6-9 months between now and the Vita launch, then the normal 25% Sony price premium and you're looking right at $100.
I seen them for 130 at best buy. I think they are only 80-90 online at amazon.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
outunderthestars said:
At least with SD you always have the option of a couple extra seconds of loading for a significantly lower price. Granted, if games are done as sloppy as that PSP WWF game you'd probably not want to add to that, but I'd hope developers code their shit right rather than expect the hardware to fix their shit. You can't have too little loading anyway.

Raistlin

Izayoi said:
Yeah, shake my head at your incredibly witty retort. Well done. Take the time to write a proper response, maybe?
So let me get this straight. I asked you to compare apples to apples - which you most certainly weren't - and your response was the incredibly witty "Uh...". And now you're accusing me of failing to string together a proper response?

Can I retract my "smh" and replace it with "lol" please?

Izayoi

Banned
King Cobra said:
So you're in shock that something that is better and newer, is also more expensive?
Did I ever state I was in shock? All I said was that it was more expensive.

Raistlin said:
So let me get this straight. I asked you to compare apples to apples - which you most certainly weren't - and your response was the incredibly witty "Uh...". And now you're accusing me of failing to string together a proper response?

Can I retract my "smh" and replace it with "lol" please?
What was I supposed to say to your "apples to apples" comment? What do you want me to compare, exactly?

Huff

Banned
Izayoi said:
Do you buy GFWL games? Ubisoft games for the PC? It's the same bullshit. Legitimate customers getting fucked over by absolutely ridiculous anti-piracy measures.

You certainly do like your apples and oranges.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I know MemorySticks are overpriced, but what kind of nerve would Sony have to price these higher? There's absolutely no reason to with the public's accepted perception of the drop in flash memory.

I am going on the "wait & see" camp... to see how much these M2 cards will be priced on launch vs the size of the games via digital download from the PSN Store

I really like my PSP GO... all these games on the Go and no UMD fumbling on the plane

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
outunderthestars said:
4GB: $25
8GB: $40
16GB: $60
32GB: $100
I'm thinking similar - they are most likely going to position 8GB as the "standard" memory card (and 40$ has been the usual price-point for those with consoles for the last 10-15 years). The rest of pricing is just how they position the other capacities, and 32GB being the "high-end" premium, it sounds about right (that is, if they will make it available for launch at all).

Personally I'm wondering how big Vita games really will be. For people that have limited or no interest in buying them retail like myself, the capacity could become an issue even with 32GB, pricing aside.

hamchan

People are saying they'll make their money by overpricing these memory cards but maybe they'll price these reasonably and make their money by users buying a shitload of content off the PSN store? We'll see I guess.

Gravijah

I wonder how big games like Wipeout & Uncharted are going to be. At that price, I'll be waiting a few years for a high capacity card.

Izayoi

Banned
BroHuffman said:
You certainly do like your apples and oranges.
Overbearing anti-piracy is overbearing anti-piracy. I don't see what the problem is comparing one type of overbearing anti-piracy to another is?

King Cobra said:
And in other news, technology that is better and newer is also more expensive, now back to you Drew.
This just in, statements no longer allowed on the internet. Ridiculous hyperbole only.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
it would be in their interest to price these reasonably since technically the more space you have the more tendency you have to buy something online.

Huff

Banned
Gravijah said:
I wonder how big games like Wipeout & Uncharted are going to be. At that price, I'll be waiting a few years for a high capacity card.

Going to buy them on actual media, since I dont want to take up too much room on my 8 - 16 GB card. Save that for other shit

Izayoi said:
Overbearing anti-piracy is overbearing anti-piracy. I don't see what the problem is comparing one type of overbearing anti-piracy to another is?

It's about the same as earlier when you compared too different forms of data storage as the same.

Gravijah said:
I would say 2gb for uncharted. Crisis Core, arguably the best looking game on the PSP is 1gb

Izayoi said:
This just in, statements no longer allowed on the internet. Ridiculous hyperbole only.

This my friend was not just a statement. This was you having an episode.

Izayoi said:

Oh the irony of you complaining about ridiculous hyperbole.

Top Bottom