• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita Found On Sony's E3 Site, Now Removed

Dunan

I just hope they insist on (assuming that they don't use a {w} as in classical Latin) pronouncing the "v" correctly and using katakana ヴィタin Japanese. Way too many Japanese people refuse to make the V sound in foreign words that contain it, replacing it with a B. When naming a product, only use sounds you can pronounce! In Japanese, the word "bita" (びた or 鐚)refers to an old, low-quality coin that's worn down. In the old days it had the connotation of using base metals, but these days (where all coins are base metal) it refers to how worn and dirty it is.

Japanese wiki for those interested: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/鐚銭

gcubed

With the thread title change I came here to be relieved that it wasn't going to be called Vita, only to be thoroughly disappointed.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Krev said:
Fortunately, Sony is not run by Square-Enix.

PlayStation [[[Duodecim]]] 358/5

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
fyQ5Z.jpg

WHO THAT BITCH BE !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiGCLrU5hMk

Like Dunan mentioned the Japanese pronounce "Vi" as "Bi" so the actual Japanese pronunciation would be "Baita". Which in Japanese means "whore" (or the village bike).

PSPwhore :D

Galvanise_ said:
Sounds boring. Vita sounds better, even if it means the same thing.

Latin is boss.

It's going to be an interesting situation with trademarking in the UK as you can't trademark Latin words. They could ostensibly get a bunch of Samsung phones called Samsung Vita which will dilute the brand.

DJmizuhara said:
Like Dunan mentioned the Japanese pronounce "Vi" as "Bi" so the actual Japanese pronunciation would be "Baita". Which in Japanese means "whore" (or the village bike).

Everyone gets a go?

KAL2006

Banned
Galvanise_ said:
Sounds boring. Vita sounds better, even if it means the same thing.

Latin is boss.

True it would be weird to use a common word like Life, I can't imagine saying to someone "hey I just played on my Life" or "got my Life with me".

So they're going for a lame name and replacing the beautiful PlayStation name on the front with that? That's too much. Pre-order canceled.

KAL2006 said:
True it would be weird to use a common word like Life, I can't imagine saying to someone "hey I just played on my Life" or "got my Life with me".

GET A LIFE!

Marketing campaign would be nuts.

They could even use the depressed guy who did the Daxter ads to do the VO for it.

KAL2006

Banned
I think I can get used to Vita, I don't expect people to call it "PlayStation Vita" or "PS Vita", I expect people to just call it "Vita", which is a nice 2 syllable word. So I can expect people to say "hey I just played on my Vita" or "got my Vita with me".

DieH@rd

Banned
DJmizuhara said:

PSP Village Bike sounds awesome.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
zomgbbqftw said:
Shit name.

Arc > Move
NGP > Vita
PS2 font > Spiderman font.
They really should have saved up "Arc" for the NGP instead of wasting on the Xperia handset. I really like it. On the other hand I still think naming it PSP2 is the logical, and non-offensive decision they could come up with, regardless of cries for Sony to distance the product from the "tarnished" PSP moniker.

KAL2006

Banned
I think I know what Sony are up to, they are trying to go with a more approachable look for NGP.

The name Vita = Life, the name also seems more approachable like Wii, instead of more hardcore like Saturn, PSP and etc.

The user interface is also approachable with a simple touch interface.
KmTeB.jpg

The curvy system itself is more approachable rather the than the more rigid and sharp PSP. Even the user interface has bubble icons.

The extra functionality such as motion controls, camera (AR), touchpads and etc make it more approachable and you can have more casual games.

I also expect it to launch in 2 colors, black and white, I think they need white color available from day one as it seems more approachable.
ltzef.jpg

even this trailer reel they make the NGP seem more approachable
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3JDZDALj5w
See how a someone is playing a black NGP with hardcore games like Killzone and Uncharted
While a girl is playing a white NGP with casual games like LittleDeviants and LittleBigPlanet
even the music is all cheery

I want a white one too.

EDIT: I think they're going to fail if they go after kids and girls initially though. Everything about this device screams "hardcore" so far.

KAL2006

Banned
get2sammyb said:
I want a white one too.

EDIT: I think they're going to fail if they go after kids and girls initially though. Everything about this device screams "hardcore" so far.

I think it is a good idea to go after casuals and hardcore. Like that trailer reel showed, someone play Killzone and Uncharted with dual analogs, however the trailer reel also showed LittleDeviants which uses touch exclusively.

EDIT:
they are making a hardcore system that is also approachable by casuals

there are many example of this
the user interface is very casual but there is a lot of functionality like LiveArea and etc
there are casual game like LittleDeviants but there are still hardcore games like Uncharted
Uncharted shows you can play casually using touch screen or you can still play with traditional controls.

What Sony are trying to do is keep it's hardcore audience but at the same time invite casuals and make them think the system is easy to use and approachable. The DS did this pretty well, I don't think that Sony want another PSP where it only catered to the hardcore.

I can understand people not being hot on Vita. But people preferring/liking NGP? Ridiculous!

KAL2006 said:
I think I know what Sony are up to, they are trying to go with a more approachable look for NGP.

The name Vita = Life, the name also seems more approachable like Wii, instead of more hardcore like Saturn, PSP and etc.

KmTeB.jpg

The curvy system itself is more approachable rather the than the more rigid and sharp PSP. Even the user interface has bubble icons.

The extra functionality such as motion controls, camera (AR), touchpads and etc make it more approachable and you can have more casual games.

I also expect it to launch in 2 colors, black and white, I think they need white color available from day one as it seems more approachable.
ltzef.jpg

See how a someone is playing a black NGP with hardcore games like Killzone and Uncharted
While a girl is playing a white NGP with casual games like LittleDeviants and LittleBigPlanet

I've said ever since I saw the white unit that it needs to be the default. It's all perception but launching in white will give it a more approachable look from day one

Black should come in later like with Wii

KAL2006 said:
I think it is a good idea to go after casuals and hardcore. Like that trailer reel showed, someone play Killzone and Uncharted with dual analogs, however the trailer reel also showed LittleDeviants which uses touch exclusively.

I do see where you're coming from, and I think it's really cool how NGP can virtually appeal to every audience out there -- smartphone games, touch games, hardcore games, etc -- but this is going to be an expensive device out of the gate. I think they are best targeting the hardcore first, and then looking to the casuals when the price comes down.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
KAL2006 said:
Looking at that reel makes me really excited about Gravity Daze. From that tiny bit of footage the gameplay mechanic looks like it could be fantastic. That's the NGP game I'm most curious about.
It really looks like all of Sony's Japanese teams are working on PSVita stuff at the moment. The only PS3 game we know of from Japan Studios is The Last Guardian.

I think you're dead right about how they're positioning this device. It was the obvious strategy after the PSP couldn't touch the sales of the DS and the recent explosion of casual smartphone games.

It's interesting how Sony seem to be trying to simultaneously go after casuals and dedicated gamers from the get-go, while Nintendo seem to be exclusively going after the hardcore for the moment, beside token efforts like Nintendogs + Cats.
get2sammyb said:
I want a white one too.

Except...the name.
They also seem to be developing a bunch of casual type software for it (Broken, Reality Fighters, etc).

get2sammyb said:
I do see where you're coming from, and I think it's really cool how NGP can virtually appeal to every audience out there -- smartphone games, touch games, hardcore games, etc -- but this is going to be an expensive device out of the gate. I think they are best targeting the hardcore first, and then looking to the casuals when the price comes down.
I don't understand this thinking. Casual gamers and pricey hardware are not mutually exclusive from eachother.

KAL2006

Banned
Chuck Norris said:
I don't understand this thinking. Casual gamers and pricey hardware are not mutually exclusive from eachother.

Casuals still pay high prices, just look at the iPhone, iPad, 3DS and etc. As long as the NGP isn't PS3 price level it is OK to market the device for casuals. I expect the NGP to be $299/£239

Laguna

Banned
KAL2006 said:
Casuals still pay high prices, just look at the iPhone, iPad, 3DS and etc. As long as the NGP isn't PS3 price level it is OK to market the device for casuals. I expect the NGP to be $299/£239

In the end it just doesn´t matter it will sell significantly worse than PSP. smartphones are the way to go at least to most people. PSP had the advantage to shine as "multimedia" device but nowadays there are already more and more convenient alternatives in the marketplace and the next gen smartphones will make this even more apparent.

Dunan

DJmizuhara said:

Actually, I think {vita} would come out as {bita} from Japanese speakers who lack V; {baita} would only occur if some English speakers were to hyper-Anglicize it and pronounce "Vita" as {vaita} and then Japanese were to adapt *that* without retaining the V.

Which might actually happen if English speakers aren't careful to say it in the correct Italian way. I could easily see the 2ch crowd jumping on that.

Then again, in the video-centric media world of 2011, people will have plenty of chances to hear the word spoken as opposed to only seeing it in print, so I think in English it'll be {vita} with no problems.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think Sony will be selling to the hardcore initially for sure, but they possibly want to pitch it from the start in a way that puts it on the radar of a bigger audience. Pretty much as they did with their pre-PS3 machines. Doesn't have to be $199 starting out, just as long as it's not TOO high to make people think they'll never be in the market for one.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
gofreak said:
That's such a gorgeous unit, the white one. I would love it with that existing 'PlayStation' label.

The white Vita remind me of the PSone somehow.

They should Keep "PlayStation" in the middle, Remove "Sony" logo and replace it with "Vita", and put "Sony" logo on the back of the system.

Dunan said:
Actually, I think {vita} would come out as {bita} from Japanese speakers who lack V; {baita} would only occur if some English speakers were to hyper-Anglicize it and pronounce "Vita" as {vaita} and then Japanese were to adapt *that* without retaining the V.

Which might actually happen if English speakers aren't careful to say it in the correct Italian way. I could easily see the 2ch crowd jumping on that.

Then again, in the video-centric media world of 2011, people will have plenty of chances to hear the word spoken as opposed to only seeing it in print, so I think in English it'll be {vita} with no problems.

I don't know a single person who'd pronounce it VAITA. Everyone will pronounce it Veeta. The pronunciation of that word only changes when its part of another word like vital, or vitality.

Should be fine.

Dunan

Chuck Norris said:
I've said ever since I saw the white unit that it needs to be the default. It's all perception but launching in white will give it a more approachable look from day one

Black should come in later like with Wii

Screen brightness will be a big factor; black borders make the screen feel brighter and bigger. I have a white PSP and keep feeling like I made a mistake in not getting black. My iPhone is black, and it feels brighter than the PSP despite that being an illusion.

(I also have the Valkyria Chronicles 3 PSP case and it goes terribly with white. ;_;)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Galvanise_ said:
I don't know a single person who'd pronounce it VAITA. Everyone will pronounce it Veeta. The pronunciation of that word only changes when its part of another word like vital, or vitality.

Should be fine.

I hope everyone is thinking VEETA in the Italian sense with this and not VAITA.

Maybe the American pronunciation of Vitamins is leading some astray, but Vita in that context comes from Vital (Minerals) anyway - hence why it is pronounced that way in Vitamins. But on its own it should be Veeta.

(Or perhaps we're on course for another SNES-style euro/american split :p)

Zutroy

KAL2006 said:

KmTeB.jpg
I know people really hate the interface, but I think it's really good. Nice big icons so you can't hit the wrong one, colourful and intuitive. The only thing I hate about it is the friends icon. Change that and I'd be happy.

KAL2006

Banned
Dunan said:
Screen brightness will be a big factor; black borders make the screen feel brighter and bigger. I have a white PSP and keep feeling like I made a mistake in not getting black. My iPhone is black, and it feels brighter than the PSP despite that being an illusion.

(I also have the Valkyria Chronicles 3 PSP case and it goes terribly with white. ;_;)

That is why I always buy my portables in black, even though I think white looks nicer, black makes the screen seem bigger and brighter. I first realised this when I owned a white PSP, then I traded it is in the future for a black PSP 2000, and I seen the difference immediately. Wish I had a black DS instead of my White one.

Laguna said:
In the end it just doesn´t matter it will sell significantly worse than PSP. smartphones are the way to go at least to most people. PSP had the advantage to shine as "multimedia" device but nowadays there are already more and more convenient alternatives in the marketplace and the next gen smartphones will make this even more apparent.

I think this is going to be marketed as a games device. Just like the DS was marketed as a game device for casuals and hardcore. You can't get games like Uncharted on smartphones so Sony will show games like that off a lot, they can get casuals involved with the gimmicky touch controls for the game, but of course for us hardcore we can still play with our traditional controls. The NGP's large 5" OLED screen with crazy graphics for games and dual analogs would make it easy to identify that it is a better games device than all the smartphones.

CRD90 said:
I know people really hate the interface, but I think it's really good. Nice big icons so you can't hit the wrong one, colourful and intuitive. The only thing I hate about it is the friends icon. Change that and I'd be happy.

Agreed, the interface is wonderful. Round icons look more satisfyingly product-like than rounded nubs like iOS and they remind me of The World Ends With You. I don't quite like the jingle I heard between screens but one assumes things like that are optional.

Slime

Banned
CRD90 said:

I actually don't mind it either. The only thing I don't really like is the text. If they removed that and only had the icons, but had the names pop up when you did a light tap or something, I wouldn't mind so much. But as it is, it makes the whole thing look a bit cluttered to me.

gofreak said:
I hope everyone is thinking VEETA in the Italian sense with this and not VAITA.

Maybe the American pronunciation of Vitamins is leading some astray, but Vita in that context comes from Vital (Minerals) anyway - hence why it is pronounced that way in Vitamins. But on its own it should be Veeta.

(Or perhaps we're on course for another SNES-style euro/american split :p)
Actually vitamin derives from vita, the term vitamin means protein necessary for life, as the first vitamin discovered was a protein that was found to be absolutely necessary for the safety and healthiness of the human body survival. Then new vitamins were discovered ( wgich had nothing to do with proteins), but the terminology of said substances remained.

Vita + amina = life + aminoacid (base component of proteins)

Laguna said:

You're never going to be playing Uncharted on a next-gen smartphone unless the model changes. So in that sense this does offer something incredibly unique. Whether people care or not is a different factor.

Personally, I'll be there day one.

Wolves Evolve said:
Agreed, the interface is wonderful. Round icons look more satisfyingly product-like than rounded nubs like iOS and they remind me of The World Ends With You. I don't quite like the jingle I heard between screens but one assumes things like that are optional.

The interface has grown on me too. It's a touch chunky, but by the same measure I think it looks very clear and intuitive for that reason.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
°°ToMmY°° said:
Actually vitamin derives from vita, the term vitamin means protein necessary for life, as the first vitamin discovered was a protein that was found to be absolutely necessary for the safety and healthiness of the human body survival. Then new vitamins were discovered ( wgich had nothing to do with proteins), but the terminology of said substances remained.

Wikipedia says I'm partially wrong, but right on the 'vital' bit:

The term vitamin was derived from "vitamine," a combination word made up by Polish scientist Casimir Funk from vital and amine

gofreak said:
Wikipedia says I'm partially wrong, but right on the 'vital' bit:
Vital i think is intended as "necessary for life", substance vital for survival. At least that's what my biochimics manual taught me :p

From the wiki page: The term vitamin was derived from "vitamine," a combination word made up by Polish scientist Casimir Funk from vital and amine, meaning amine of life, because it was suggested in 1912 that the organic micronutrient food factors that prevent beriberi and perhaps other similar dietary-deficiency diseases might be chemical amines. This proved incorrect for the micronutrient class, and the word was shortened to vitamin.

Top Bottom