• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita Found On Sony's E3 Site, Now Removed

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
btkadams said:
i think it's more likely it will be called vita rather than psv for short.
Vita is less syllables. And it's obviously what Sony will encourage people to call it if they're trying to move away from 'PSP'.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
So...should we trust those leaked PS Vita pics that showed up a few days ago? Basically the design being exactly the same just changing (a really classy look) PlayStation for (two different fonts used) PS Vita? Hmm.
Definitely.
It's possible that the font has changed since that image was created, but I doubt it. The blog where it was posted seemed extremely confident about it being a promotional picture for e3.
Vinci said:
Twelve pages on the name alone. Damn, GAF wants this thing.
I know I do.
But really, this is nothing next to when it was announced that the Nintendo Revolution would be called 'Wii'.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
gofreak said:
I spy with my little eye...

http://us.playstation.com/e3-2011/

'View Source'

'Ctrl-f: Vita'

These links, of course, don't go anywhere yet.

Looks like DualPixels.com seems to be taking credit for your find.

http://www.dualpixels.com/profiles/blogs/playstation-vita-leaked-on

DualPixels said:
"PlayStation Vita, or PS Vita is seemlingly confirmed now after users have found the name of the platform in the source coding of PlayStation.com. Once thought to be a code name, PS Vita can easily be located within PlayStation.com's source code by the use of CTRL + F searching "Vita". We can almost safely assume that NGP is now PS Vita, PlayStation Vita. [PlayStation.com] Brandon Brown | Staff"]DualPixels.com[/URL]]PlayStation Vita, or PS Vita is seemlingly confirmed now after users have found the name of the platform in the source coding of PlayStation.com. Once thought to be a code name, PS Vita can easily be located within PlayStation.com's source code by the use of CTRL + F searching "Vita". We can almost safely assume that NGP is now PS Vita, PlayStation Vita. [PlayStation.com] Brandon Brown | Staff

Vinci

Danish
Krev said:
But really, this is nothing next to when it was announced that the Nintendo Revolution would be called 'Wii'.

Oh, I know, but 'Vita' isn't anywhere near as odd as 'Wii' was at the time.

I don't mind the name anymore I guess. If sony can market the system as a new system then good for them. Hoping they stick to gaming and not just the media side of things.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
There's nothing really to credit. I mean, I'm not 'a site'. I guess it would be nice for neogaf to be linked, but it doesn't really matter. It's a public URL, people check teaser sites for hints like this all the time, so if I hadn't, someone else would have anyway.

Rich!

Just looked onto CVG to see if they had posted any news about it, and was greeted with a horrific redesign.

Well, that's one more site struck off my list of places to visit. It's a mess.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
gofreak said:
There's nothing really to credit. I mean, I'm not 'a site'. I guess it would be nice for neogaf to be linked, but it doesn't really matter. It's a public URL, people check teaser sites for hints like this all the time, so if I hadn't, someone else would have anyway.
They should at least have said 'user gofreak from Neogaf' or something. I've seen Gaffers credited that way at game news sites in the past.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
So...should we trust those leaked PS Vita pics that showed up a few days ago? Basically the design being exactly the same just changing (a really classy look) PlayStation for (two different fonts used) PS Vita? Hmm.

I'm still surprised it won't be PSP2 in Japan. Or if it has a different name per country that would also be a surprise.

I like the NGP unit having Playstation emblazoned on it, instead of just PS. Shortening it just looks odd and seem unnecessarily minimalistic.
43ratio-psp2-ngp,2-0-278712-13.png

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
chubigans said:
Nice job gofreak! Who wants to bet that it'll still be called PSP2 in Japan? :p

It will make sense to keep "PSP" name in Japan since it's popular device there, but this is Sony,so I don't think they will do that.

Spiegel

It won't have a different name in Japan.

It has the same form as the original psp and they can easily put in ads: "The next generation PSP is here, Playstation Vita". Or something.

Everyone there will know that this is the PSP2.

tuffy

If they're going with a new name to differentiate it from its predecessor, why not go all the way and simply call it the "Sony Vita". Prefixing "Vita" with the increasingly anachronistic "PlayStation" moniker just seems half-assed.

richisawesome said:
Just looked onto CVG to see if they had posted any news about it, and was greeted with a horrific redesign.

Well, that's one more site struck off my list of places to visit. It's a mess.

So many sites have had fuck awful redesigns lately. We deem to be regressing instead of progressing.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Dedication Through Light said:
I think the acronym is the best part about the name, imo. I love how it flows.

Part of me is struggling to like it, but part of me thinks "PSV" sounds like an STD.

edit: ah-ha. N/m. After not seeing anyone mention it in the first few days, I didn't bother reading any further. :)

French

Banned
Dedication Through Light said:
I like the NGP unit having Playstation emblazoned on it, instead of just PS. Shortening it just looks odd and seem unnecessarily minimalistic.
43ratio-psp2-ngp,2-0-278712-13.png

They want it to be like the "PS3" on the Slim.

Apath

tuffy said:
If they're going with a new name to differentiate it from its predecessor, why not go all the way and simply call it the "Sony Vita". Prefixing "Vita" with the increasingly anachronistic "PlayStation" moniker just seems half-assed.
PlayStation is the Sony gaming brand. Believe it or not the name still commands some power over consumers.

btkadams

tuffy said:
Huh? That's like saying Windows 8 shouldn't have Windows in the name. It's the entire brand of sony's game division.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
tuffy has a point.

Nintendo eventually dropped the 'Nintendo' and 'Game Boy' system monikers to adapt to a changing market. If things don't turn around for Sony, leaving 'Playstation' behind could be beneficial.

Special J

Banned
they probably picked it because PSV isnt an acronym already being used also V sounds more like "bee" which sorta sounds like "pee"

btkadams

Krev said:
tuffy has a point.

Nintendo eventually dropped the 'Nintendo' and 'Game Boy' system monikers to adapt to a changing market. If things don't turn around for Sony, leaving 'Playstation' behind could be beneficial.
It's different for Nintendo. Nintendo is the company. Sony is a huge company that has many completely different sub-companies. It can't be called Sony Vita because then it implies it could be apart of something else. Playstation is the brand of the gaming division much like Xbox and Nintendo itself.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
btkadams said:
It's different for Nintendo. Nintendo is the company. Sony is a huge company that has many completely different sub-companies. It can't be called Sony Vita because then it implies it could be apart of something else. Playstation is the brand of the gaming division much like Xbox and Nintendo itself.
I would say Playstation being a sub-brand makes it all the more easy to drop it.
It's a much less bold move than Nintendo not including the company name (which had been their home console brand since the NES) in 'Wii' or dropping 'Game Boy', which had become synonymous with handheld gaming.
If fortunes turned for Microsoft and the Xbox name were tarnished, I would also think that it would be a good idea for Microsoft to rebrand their game division, or at least feature the 'Xbox' name less prominently.

Sony wouldn't even need to remove the 'PS' branding entirely. They could just shift it onto the box and the back of the handheld and give the system a unique name.

A fresh start can do wonders for a brand.
'Atari', 'Nintendo', 'Playstation', 'Walkman', 'iPod' and 'Wii' all took the world by storm because they seemed fresh, and a big part of the perception of freshness in the eyes of the consumer comes down to the name.
Special J said:
they probably picked it because PSV isnt an acronym already being used also V sounds more like "bee" which sorta sounds like "pee"
So basically they're trying to capture the 'Wii' demographic?

btkadams

Seda said:
As if there wasn't enough confirmation already.

@KazHiraiSCE
get real. he claims they are starting a revolution by not having numerals? playstation is the only brand that does this.

EDIT: dammit lol. i can't go to twitter at work so i couldn't see it was a parody.

Seda

Spiegel said:
Kaz Hirai
@KazHiraiSCE PlayStation HQ
Announcer of prices, Lover of Ridge Racer, owner of giant hands. (Disclaimer: not really, of course. PARODY ACCOUNT)

Oops, hehe

>_______________________________________________________>

Suzzopher

_dementia said:
Sure, but I don't like it more than NGP

NGP is already a failed system's name. It also has nothing to do with being a PlayStation product. PlayStation Vita, is like the name you give a smart phone or lifestyle device. I've grown to like it.

Never thought it would be the final name.

Apath

BobJustBob said:
When will people learn that the Wii succeeded in spite of its awful name and not because of it?
I don't think you'll see anyone arguing that the Wii was so successful because of its name, but the name was indeed one small part in the overall package that contributed to its success.

Top Bottom