• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I'm feeling stupid here. I know how to check how much free space you have on a card, but how do you see how much space an individual application takes up?

Only got my system a week ago but the 4gb card that came with is already not enough, running into that "okay, what do I play the least?" situation lol.

Edit: I see that in the Application Data options menu it shows PSP data as its own thing. Does that mean for PSP games the saves are actually seperate from their icon / game data, and would stick around should the game be deleted? In that case I'd just swap out PSP games to open up space.

Koroviev

Okay, I'm feeling stupid here. I know how to check how much free space you have on a card, but how do you see how much space an individual application takes up?

Only got my system a week ago but the 4gb card that came with is already not enough, running into that "okay, what do I play the least?" situation lol.

Edit: I see that in the Application Data options menu it shows PSP data as its own thing. Does that mean for PSP games the saves are actually seperate from their icon / game data, and would stick around should the game be deleted? In that case I'd just swap out PSP games to open up space.

For individual applications, press down on the home menu for a few seconds. This should give you the option to see "Information" (i.e. size) when you touch an application.

I was going to pick up a travel case to compliment the carrying case, but couldn't find one that wasn't overpriced/malodorous. My solution has been to place the Vita in the carrying case in a small messenger bag with a few other non-lethal-to-Vita objects (i.e. wallet, headphones, microfiber cloth, etc.). Working quite nicely so far.

Yeah, the Vita I bought on eBay came with the First Edition Bundle case and quite honestly the Hori case is almost exactly the same. The Hori case is aesthetically a bit nicer, but the First Edition Case doesn't smell like it was manufactured in a toxic waste landfill. I feel kind of dumb for having ordered the Hori case since they are so similar, but oh well.

ss_lemonade

PSY・S;37433396 said:
Does the color shifting of the Vita screen bother anyone else as much as it does me? I love that it has fantastic viewing angles but the constant shifting between cool/warm tones is really irritating.
I just got used to it. I think all OLED screens exhibit this (my Super amoled phone does)

Koroviev

Yeah, the Vita I bought on eBay came with the First Edition Bundle case and quite honestly the Hori case is almost exactly the same. The Hori case is aesthetically a bit nicer, but the First Edition Case doesn't smell like it was manufactured in a toxic waste landfill. I feel kind of dumb for having ordered the Hori case since they are so similar, but oh well.

The first edition bundle case is very nice.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

CushVA

Getting mine in a couple of weeks. First handheld since the Sega Game Gear (yeah, I'm that old......and I loved that thing)

Getting:
Probably an 8GB Card
MLB 12 The Show. Will custom rosters for the PS3 version work on the Vita (I don't have a PS3, but will have access to one on a few weeks)

Thinking of 1 or 2 of the follwing

MvC3
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extended
Hot Shot Golf World Invitational (how many courses are there in the game?)

Is Unit 13 worth it now that Zipper has shut down? Should I just wait for a sale?

Also, any PSP games worth getting? Looking for RPGs or Strategy. Would love to get Valkyria Chronicles 2 but I heard you need to buy that on a PS3 and then transfer it to the Vita

impact

Banned
Getting mine in a couple of weeks. First handheld since the Sega Game Gear (yeah, I'm that old......and I loved that thing)

Getting:
Probably an 8GB Card
MLB 12 The Show. Will custom rosters for the PS3 version work on the Vita (I don't have a PS3, but will have access to one on a few weeks)

MvC3

Is Unit 13 worth it now that Zipper has shut down? Should I just wait for a sale?

Also, any PSP games worth getting? Looking for RPGs or Strategy. Would love to get Valkyria Chronicles 2 but I heard you need to buy that on a PS3 and then transfer it to the Vita

The Show is kind of a shitty port. I was really upset with it. For PSP RPGs, Ys Oath and FF4 Complete Collection have been my favorites so far. I've got TitS but it's so slow I just can't get into it. Lunar is good too and looks really fucking good on the Vita.

billsmugs

I just updated Near after a long while and it says I've travelled 28430 miles and am now somewhere in Japan ("Koganei Hwy, Higashicho, Tokorozara, Saitama Prefecture" if anyone cares). Is this normal?

I've discovered a ton of new games, got a Game Good for Ragnarok Odyssey and have 144 people within 0.4 miles of me lol (I live in the UK and normally have 10-20 nearby within a couple of miles).

It's pretty funny actually, but I just wondered if this is a common occurrence?

EDIT: I've just activated a new SIM card and used it for the first time, could that be what caused it?

test_account

XP-39C²
I just updated Near after a long while and it says I've travelled 28430 miles and am now somewhere in Japan ("Koganei Hwy, Higashicho, Tokorozara, Saitama Prefecture" if anyone cares). Is this normal?

I've discovered a ton of new games, got a Game Good for Ragnarok Odyssey and have 144 people within 0.4 miles of me lol (I live in the UK and normally have 10-20 nearby).

It's pretty funny actually, but I just wondered if this is a common occurrence?
I'm not sure if it is common, but i've heard about this happen to others. The most bizarre case i've heard about is that one guy was on the South or North Pole for a second lol.

Koroviev

Getting:
Probably an 8GB Card

MvC3

If you can, I would invest in a 16 GB card. You can pick one up for 50 or less on Amazon. Based on impressions in this thread, the 8 doesn't last very long, unless you like having to manage application data on a regular basis.

Out of the Vita games you listed, I would personally go with BlazBlue and MvC3. I really enjoyed the Hot Shots demo, but the game is one of the poorer looking ones and doesn't feature too many courses. Would look for a discounted price.

I'm a big fan of SRPGs and picked up Tactics Ogre. Only complaint is that the text is a bit blurry. Otherwise, the game hooks you from the start and boasts nice character portraits. I would also look into the Persona games and possibly the Disgaea games, depending on your temperament. Disgaea is hit-and-miss for a lot of people and isn't the most graphically advanced series, so I would definitely consult with a trailer or two before buying.

One last suggestion would be to check out the demo for Super Startdust Delta. The game is beautiful, addictive and a mere $10 on PSN.

Edit: Did a quick check just now and Valkyria Chronicles 2 is still not available on the Vita store, unfortunately. However, as you pointed out, you can transfer the game to your Vita using the PS3. Did this the other night for Gods Eater Burst and experienced no problems :)

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Anyone know a good place to order the Hori screen protector in the UK?

I have my order with TheHut but they say it wont get here till the 6th of June, and I don't want to wait a month for it.

To update myself, it looks like everywhere that sells it in the UK is out at the moment of the Hori screen protectors, which is a shame as they look like they are the best ones and I don't want to stick a crappy one on my Vita just because I can't find a good one.

Also, is it possible to make folders in the Photo app so I can still wallpapers in there and keep them separate from anything else?
Also I wish the backgrounds of the different screens wouldn't change when they are using the same wallpaper, its annoying to see that black background appear between screens.

CushVA

If you can, I would invest in a 16 GB card. You can pick one up for 50 or less on Amazon. Based on impressions in this thread, the 8 doesn't last very long, unless you like having to manage application data on a regular basis.

Out of the Vita games you listed, I would personally go with BlazBlue and MvC3. I really enjoyed the Hot Shots demo, but the game is one of the poorer looking ones and doesn't feature too many courses. Would look for a discounted price.

I'm a big fan of SRPGs and picked up Tactics Ogre. Only complaint is that the text is a bit blurry. Otherwise, the game hooks you from the start and boasts nice character portraits. I would also look into the Persona games and possibly the Disgaea games, depending on your temperament. Disgaea is hit-and-miss for a lot of people and isn't the most graphically advanced series, so I would definitely consult with a trailer or two before buying.

One last suggestion would be to check out the demo for Super Startdust Delta. The game is beautiful, addictive and a mere $10 on PSN.

Edit: Did a quick check just now and Valkyria Chronicles 2 is still not available on the Vita store, unfortunately. However, as you pointed out, you can transfer the game to your Vita using the PS3. Did this the other night for Gods Eater Burst and experienced no problems :)

Thanks, on average how large are PSP games? My brother is coming down a in a few weeks and I'll ask him if he can bring is PS3 with him, so I'm hoping to get VC2 then

Out of MvC3 or BlazBlue, which has more replay value?

Koroviev

To update myself, it looks like everywhere that sells it in the UK is out at the momentof the Hori screen protectors, which is a shame as they look like they are the best ones and I don't want to stick a crappy one on my Vita just because I can't find a good one.

Also, is it possible to make folders in the Photo app so I can still wallpapers in there and keep them separate from anything else?
Also I wish the backgrounds of the different screens wouldn't change when they are using the same wallpaper, its annoying to see that black background appear between screens.

In the meantime, what you could do is use a microfiber cloth to interact with and maintain the touch screen. They're very cheap to acquire and usually you get several in a pack. I actually prefer using them to applying a screen protector, but then I am not a fan of touch controls. I mainly use them to navigate the home interface and a few games that require it. Don't have any marks on the screen yet! :)

Thanks, on average how large are PSP games? My brother is coming down a in a few weeks and I'll ask him if he can bring is PS3 with him, so I'm hoping to get VC2 then

Out of MvC3 or BlazBlue, which has more replay value?

Tactics Ogre and Gods Eater Burst are ~1 GB each.

I'm not really sure, to be honest. If you've already played MvC3 on a home console, then I would go with BlazBlue, unless you really want MvC3 on the go. As far as I know, MvC3 is a bit easier to pick up and play without much prior experience with fighting games.

Edit: Generally speaking, primarily 2D games will be anywhere from 300 MB to 1GB in size, whereas PSP games with 3D assets can be as large as 1.5 GB.

I can't decide if I'm surprised that the Cave iOS stuff hasn't been ported. On the one hand, I'd love to see them and I'd happily double-dip. On the other hand, I can't see what's in it for Cave.

Cave simply hate money and are not interested in gaining them.
It's been 6 years and they still haven't released any of their games on ps3 despite x360 being totally dead in their home market.

MooMoo

I'm not really a big pool person but Hustle Kings has me ridiculously hooked. I can't really beat the harder AI but I really like how laid-back it is on the easy/medium difficulty. It's a nice change of pace compared to all the other games I have that usually require a lot of thought/attention.

Also, I didn't really know what Gravity Daze was but after watching a single trailer...consider it a day one purchase :D Gonna have to buy a new memory card though. The 8GB really doesn't last long if you go all digital.

Koroviev

I'm not really a big pool person but Hustle Kings has me ridiculously hooked. I can't really beat the harder AI but I really like how laid-back it is on the easy/medium difficulty. It's a nice change of pace compared to all the other games I have that usually require a lot of thought/attention.

Also, I didn't really know what Gravity Daze was but after watching a single trailer...consider it a day one purchase :D Gonna have to buy a new memory card though. The 8GB really doesn't last long if you go all digital.

If you pre-order Gravity Rush through Amazon (and I think GameStop), then you'll receive a costume and some extra missions :)

Edit: Has anyone placed a preorder on Amazon using a gift card? I'm thinking of buying one for Gravity Rush to get that out of the way, but I'd like to know if there are any issues with using this method.

I'm putting my Vita in a UPS drop box tomorrow to return to Amazon. I escalated a case to eBay CS and I have to reimburse eBay/buyer for my Alienware M11x that the post office lost. I bought Disgaea 3 and Unit 13 at Gamestop, so I can't return them. Guess I'll throw em on eBay after this all blows over. If anyone wants them, let me know. This bloooows.

Koroviev

I'm putting my Vita in a UPS drop box tomorrow to return to Amazon. I escalated a case to eBay CS and I have to reimburse eBay/buyer for my Alienware M11x that the post office lost. I bought Disgaea 3 and Unit 13 at Gamestop, so I can't return them. Guess I'll throw em on eBay after this all blows over. If anyone wants them, let me know. This bloooows.

Aw, what happened with your Vita? Sorry to hear about your luck :(

MooMoo

If you pre-order Gravity Rush through Amazon (and I think GameStop), then you'll receive a costume and some extra missions :)

Edit: Has anyone placed a preorder on Amazon using a gift card? I'm thinking of buying one for Gravity Rush to get that out of the way, but I'd like to know if there are any issues with using this method.
Ah, off to Amazon to preorder it then! :3 Using a gift card on Amazon shouldn't be too hard. You can apply the code at checkout. Alternatively, you can apply the code to your account, at which during checkout you'll be reminded of any gift card balances/be given the option to apply it to the order. And if you want the credit back, just cancel the order and the balance will be recredited back to your account.

Next month should be pretty interesting. Finishing up Disgaea 2 and I'm purposefully holding off of Disgaea 3 until final exams are over. By then, Gravity Rush will be right around the corner. That and there's Diablo 3 haha.

Koroviev

Ah, off to Amazon to preorder it then! :3 Using a gift card on Amazon shouldn't be too hard. You can apply the code at checkout. Alternatively, you can apply the code to your account, at which during checkout you'll be reminded of any gift card balances/be given the option to apply it to the order. And if you want the credit back, just cancel the order and the balance will be recredited back to your account.

Next month should be pretty interesting. Finishing up Disgaea 2 and I'm purposefully holding off of Disgaea 3 until final exams are over. By then, Gravity Rush will be right around the corner. That and there's Diablo 3 haha.

I wish Gravity Rush was being released in May :(

I don't know how many might be interested in this, but I found out a way to download youtube videos onto the Vita and they be playable.

http://animetoxin.blogspot.in/2012/04/ps-vita-secret-download-youtube-videos.html

it's alittle bit of a hassle to get it set up, but it works. I just hope Sony gets it crap together on proper flash support soon.

lol. reminds me of trying to get videos on my psp back in the day. Glad to see Sony hasn't changed at all over the years.

Just let me stream shit from my media library like every other electronic device I own!

billsmugs

I'm not sure if it is common, but i've heard about this happen to others. The most bizarre case i've heard about is that one guy was on the South or North Pole for a second lol.

OK, thanks. At least I ended up somewhere with (loads of) other people!

If any polar explorer takes their Vita to where that guy ended up, they're going to be pretty surprised when it doesn't say "unpopulated location discovered" on Near.

blackflag

I need to buy another one of these for my daughter. She wants one and her birthday is in 2 weeks. I've been hoping for a price drop but I guess the target deal for free Unit 13 and 4g card are the best I'm gonna get. I'll play Unit 13....the 4g card is kind of useless though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom