• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita US Launch Details (Launch Games, Accessory Pricing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'll wait for the cloned implants.

250px-GeordiLaForge.jpg
320x240.jpg

They'd be more comfortable that's for sure!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Just for shits and giggles, I went on Amazon and checked to see how much I would get if I traded in a bunch of stuff I could do without. Some stuff I double dipped and bought the PC version, while others I know I wouldn't be playing anytime soon:

C5tyY.jpg

Looks like I'm getting a Vita for $54.

:D

Now hope that they accept your games in the condition you sent them in. I've read a lot of horror stores on CAG

Toki767

I wonder when Gamestop will announce whether they are doing a midnight launch. I also wonder if it'll be for the FE bundle or the actual launch day.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I wonder when Gamestop will announce whether they are doing a midnight launch. I also wonder if it'll be for the FE bundle or the actual launch day.

I asked 3 of them and 2 said no and the other said he doesn't know but didn't sound confident. I'm tired of midnight launches anyways but would rather have it ASAP.

Eusis

Now hope that they accept your games in the condition you sent them in. I've read a lot of horror stores on CAG
I've been lucky myself, but unless the value's REALLY good I'd just take my chances at GameStop or something. Should probably see if there IS anything I'm willing to part with actually.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
My Vita preorder stack:

PS Vita 3G/wifi (FEB) - Little Deviants (trade fodder if possible), 4GB card (trade fodder), pouch - keeper (for now)
HS Golf
Uncharted
WipEout 2048 (does this come with another game to play during load times?)
MLB 12: The Show (Hope this comes out Mar. 6th instead of Mar. 27)
32GB mem card

I'll probably also pick up one other game. First thought on that might be Virtua Tennis, but ,Blazblue looks pretty good, ... so does Lumines, and.. umm, gah, choices.... and budget issues.

LiquidMetal14

Did you ask the ones that usually had midnight launches for games?

Not for games or any other product outside the Vita on either date. That may change but yeah, it sucks.

Listening more to Sound Shapes has pushed me over the edge on a good pair of headphones.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR

I've sent in alot of items, not once have I had an issue.
I have to wonder how were the condition of the items that was sent in by the people on CAG?!
Generally, people do not know how to take care of their stuff.

Toki767

I have to wonder how were the condition of the items that was sent in by the people on CAG?!

Yeah, I've never had any issues with Amazon's trade-ins. As long as you take care of your games you won't have anything to worry about.

XOMTOR

I'm not sure that it is exactly the same plugs, but from what i have seen, the plugs does at least look quite similar yeah.

You're right that the dev units have video out, so it is possible on a technical level. But i think that the dev units have extra hardware for this. I cant imagine that it will be possible to enable this on the retail Vitas through a software update. But the Vita might get a hardware revision in the future with video out, like we saw with the PSP Go and the PSP-3000.

Yes, the dev units have a few extra connectors on the bottom, even an HDMI port if I recall. You're right, there's no way a firmware update is going to magically enable video out if it's a hardware limitation but there's some out there who "feel" the Vita may actually be wired for it, just that for some reason it's been disabled on purpose. Sounds like a conspiracy theory; I can't for the life of me figure out why they'd do that but sometimes Sony can work in mysterious ways.

Anyway, perhaps I'm a bit too excited about Vita's possibilities that I get frustrated seeing them remove features that were available on previous models. Such is life I guess.

LiquidMetal14

I recommend Walmart for midnight launches, they are always open. Getting the 3DS at midnight was cake.

That's what I'm thinking about doing as long as I can pre order the 1st edition through them and get the bonus content. I feel safer going there then to the GS at a mall anyways.

My Vita preorder stack:

PS Vita 3G/wifi (FEB) - Little Deviants (trade fodder if possible), 4GB card (trade fodder), pouch - keeper (for now)
HS Golf
Uncharted
WipEout 2048 (does this come with another game to play during load times?)
MLB 12: The Show (Hope this comes out Mar. 6th instead of Mar. 27)
32GB mem card

I'll probably also pick up one other game. First thought on that might be Virtua Tennis, but ,Blazblue looks pretty good, ... so does Lumines, and.. umm, gah, choices.... and budget issues.

Just saw the Show listed as the 6th somewhere else.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yes, the dev units have a few extra connectors on the bottom, even an HDMI port if I recall. You're right, there's no way a firmware update is going to magically enable video out if it's a hardware limitation but there's some out there who "feel" the Vita may actually be wired for it, just that for some reason it's been disabled on purpose. Sounds like a conspiracy theory; I can't for the life of me figure out why they'd do that but sometimes Sony can work in mysterious ways.

Anyway, perhaps I'm a bit too excited about Vita's possibilities that I get frustrated seeing them remove features that were available on previous models. Such is life I guess.
I cant say for sure since i havnt examined the PS Vita hardware, but i see no reason to block it out through software if all hardware is in place to have video out. If anything, having video out would be positive for Sony. Not just because it is one extra feature, but if it had video out it would mean that Sony could sell that video out cable and make extra money on that.

Personally i'm pretty sure that the retail Vita units lacks the hardware for video out, and that Sony didnt include this because they wanted to cut back on the productions costs. I guess that it would be harder financially to hit that $249 pricetag if they had to include more things that cost extra money.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

People were literally sending in games that were never used and just unwrapped from the factory seal, and Amazon (er, whatever the firm that accepts the trade ins) gave them an OK condition or whatever.

Actually I think it was movies...

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314148

I've only ever has two issues with Amaxon trade-ins. The first was with my Killzone PSP UMD, it was cracked and didn't realize it. Second issue was with my old DS Lite, the hinge had a crack in it and I knew its be questionable. I received both items back with an issue. Everything else I traded in went flawlessly.

I've seen the CAG horror stories too, just know that there will always be a vocal minority with complaints. All of my Vita stuff (about $350) from Amazon has been paid off through the trade-in program.

Reallink

When is Amazon going to update early 3G preorders to the "bundle"? My order page still lists and links to the (non-existent) deactivated 3G solo product page.

btkadams

I can't recall, but has Sony confirmed if the games will have installs like on the PS3? If they do, have they said the approximate sizes?

why would it install? it would be installing data on a slower stick.

or, are you asking if games you download need to be installed as well (like on ps3 where you can't play a psn game when you finish downloading it because it needs to install)?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I just realized that most stores will likely accidentally break the street date for the normal Vitas thanks to the "early edition" Vitas.

At least, I'm hoping. :p

DMeisterJ

Banned
I just realized that most stores will likely accidentally break the street date for the normal Vitas thanks to the "early edition" Vitas.

At least, I'm hoping. :p

Same. I'm hoping to prey on some poor lady working at Wal-Mart who has no clue what's going on. Best Buy/GameStop definitely won't though.

When is Amazon going to update early 3G preorders to the "bundle"? My order page still lists and links to the (non-existent) deactivated 3G solo product page.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I ordered a seperate 3G bundle model too, but I kept the 3G model I ordered on June 6, that way I'd be first in line, I think.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I ordered a seperate 3G bundle model too, but I kept the 3G model I ordered on June 6, that way I'd be first in line, I think.

*edit* Now I'm thinking about getting a Wifi Vita with a 16gb stick instead of the 3G bundle. Was gonna get Wifi + 8gb before all this. I'm not sure if I'll need the GPS, which is all I want the 3G version for. Plus when a PS Vita "2000" comes out I can buy the 3G version if good games deem it so.

Darklor01

Just saw the Show listed as the 6th somewhere else.

Amazon.com is usually fairly reliable with release dates. I almost have no faith in them for the Vita game release dates right now though. I mean. They STILL haven't listed the release date for Virtua Tennis, as well as other titles.

I didn't check Best Buy, but it seems like thier pre-order list is missing some titles as well.

For now, I have to trust the Gamestop list for releases in the U.S.

Darklor01

They had it when I looked and talked to a service rep. 1st edition, I mean.

I have Prime, and live in the U.S. I had to manually go to each game ordered, and manually switch over to release date delivery. They usually do that automatically. They did it correctly with my PS3 copy of MLB 12: The Show.

It's like they're all over the place with anything related to the Vita. Pricing, release dates, missing game titles for pre-order...etc.

I did the same thing but through bestbuys trade in program and with a bunch of old DVD tv series that I don't watch anymore and got $320. It took a couple weeks to process but the gift card is in the mail on its way to me. Guess where I'm getting my vita?

JohngPR

I've sent in 3 batches of games before this and got every cent that was promised, so I'm not too worried about it. Hopefully the same goes for this time around.

why would it install? it would be installing data on a slower stick.

or, are you asking if games you download need to be installed as well (like on ps3 where you can't play a psn game when you finish downloading it because it needs to install)?

Just double checking since I thought I had read something about installs but wasn't sure for the Vita. I guess it would be for the physical media since it does that for the games.

test_account

XP-39C²
Still clueless about memory cards.

32GB sounds suitable if you're going to download retail games am I correct? Being that Resident Evil on 3DS takes up a 4GB card, can we use that as a barometer as to how much space retail games will take up on Sony's card?

Thing is, from what it sounds like, digital copies may wind up being ~$5 cheaper than retail. So if I decide I want a digital/32GB combo, and the price of the 32GB is $100, I would have to know I'm going to buy 14 games to justify saving $5 on digital downloads. (14x5=$70, the extra cost a 32GB is over a 8GB card).

I don't know. I think I'm overthinking this. I may just buy a 8GB for saves and the occassional PSN download. Thing is, will 8GB be enough for that? Does anyone know how big PSN/game file saves are?
If you're planing on getting full retail games through digital download, then i would recommend minimum 16GB card. The biggest launch game is probably Uncharted, which is around 3.3GB in size.

Raonak

Banned
The PSP wasn't killed because it was hacked, it sold over 70 million units. But you're right Sony is trying to lock down Vita.

yeah, it did have great hardware sales, but had horrible software sales...
hmmm.. I wonder why...

pirated games = low sales = less devs making games = essentially killed due to piracy/sony's horrible antipiracy measures.

they definetly learned. Look at how good the PS3 is holding out, firstly, held off getting hacked for a while, then even when "pandora's box" was opened, they closed it with new keys.
although the scene is alive, it's very small, because of a combination of good security, lack of compelling homebrew, and the fact online gaming is now a big factor.

Vita'll get hacked sooner or later. Sounds like it would be a challenge, because at the moment; there's no way to get rouge data into the vita.

1- having propiretry memory, means you can't load stuff onto it prior to inserting into the vita. Since no sort of card reader exists. And since you can only use it on vitas, it would be encrypted.

2- data manager for PC. It's a smart program, since it barely does any work. The vita itself handles all the transfer of data and encryption of files and whatnot. MEANING; even if the datamanager gets comprimised, the vita itself will still block out any files it doesn't like. and since the keys are inside the vita. it becomes a catch 22. to hack the vita; you need to hack into the vita.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
It'll get hacked sooner or later. Sounds like it would be a challenge, because at the moment; there's no way to get rouge data into the vita.

Wait, wait. I though customt firmware on Vita was already a done deal. Isn't that how those guys got Remote Play to work on titles that don't support it?

Kuran

Banned
Wait, wait. I though customt firmware on Vita was already a done deal. Isn't that how those guys got Remote Play to work on titles that don't support it?

They were CFW-ing inside the PSP 'shell', had nothing to do with the VITA itself..

Can anyone confirm if there are any media streaming methods from PC -> VITA? (I keep asking this, but no answers yet)

Raonak

Banned

nah, that involved hacking the ps3. The ps3 is doing all of the work. rendering everything, then sending the video out to the vita. All the vita does is just display video the PS3 is sending out and send back button inputs.

usually the ps3 stops you from playing most games, but the hack allows the ps3 to access all games while in remote play mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom