• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita US Launch Details (Launch Games, Accessory Pricing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Extremely tempted to switch to a First Edition after seeing that case....

Same here. Decisions, decisions...
I thought about it a lot and I decided against it for three reasons:

1. I have absolutely no use whatsoever for the 3G Vita, and no desire for it either.
2. I don't really want Little Deviants.
3. I want the 8 GB stick.

I think I'll just pick this with my WiFi Vita.

If I was in Canada I would totally be jumping on the first-edition bandwagon though.

dallow_bg said:
Dynasty Warriors - 1485 MB
Now that's interesting. I would have expected the game to be bigger, given Samurai Warriors on the 3DS supposable fills it's 2GB cart to the brim. Is DWN a substantially smaller game or something?
I expect that there are other considerations; developers will work to package a game in a set size. The PSVita has a lot more processing power than the 3DS, AND the game has to be downloadable from PSN, so the developer is more likely to take advantage of compression for game assets. Also, I'd wager that once you are over the 1GB mark with a 3DS cart, next size available is 2GB, so you might as well exploit that space because you'll be paying for it anyway...

°°ToMmY°°;34391273 said:
Yes, it works without a 3G card as you're not forced to have a permanent 3G subscription, but you're better off buying a eu version of vita, since it's not locked you can put a sim card from your country of origin in it, if your country uses GSM technology, that is.

Is the JP ver sim locked?

I thought about it a lot and I decided against it for three reasons:

1. I have absolutely no use whatsoever for the 3G Vita, and no desire for it either.
2. I don't really want Little Deviants.
3. I want the 8 GB stick.

I think I'll just pick this with my WiFi Vita.

If I was in Canada I would totally be jumping on the first-edition bandwagon though.

See, I felt the same way until I saw the 3G support for Unit 13 and Warrior's Lair. I am looking forward to the latter, but I'm also really worried that a game that I REALLY want will have some cool 3G options and I'll be left without it because of having the WiFi model.

To be honest, a week ago I would have said absolutely not to the 3G/First Edition, but my Tax Return ended up being quite a bit more than expected...I think the case just threw me over the edge and I'm gonna switch it up now.

See, I felt the same way until I saw the 3G support for Unit 13 and Warrior's Lair. I am looking forward to the latter, but I'm also really worried that a game that I REALLY want will have some cool 3G options and I'll be left without it because of having the WiFi model.

To be honest, a week ago I would have said absolutely not to the 3G/First Edition, but my Tax Return ended up being quite a bit more than expected...I think the case just threw me over the edge and I'm gonna switch it up now.
I don't know anything about the 3G features in those games. Would you mind telling me about them? Are they inaccessible through WiFi or something?

Go on, convince me to spend more money. :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is the JP ver sim locked?

Yes. Although annoyingly in the UK it pops up with O2 in the carrier name, but you can't use it for anything. Docomo do unlock phones now, so it may be possible for them to unlock the vita (although that might require a firmware update?)

Any Vita-iPhone owner can confirm that Vita is able to read the wifi hotspots of iPhone?

I plan to convert my iPhone in my gaming
internet-provider
device

dallow_bg

nods at old men
How can I modify an order with Amazon to include more itens? In my order status I can only delete itens. I have to make a single pre-order, with everything on a single package. I will add HSG if that is possible.

You'd have to send them an email with the links or ASIN numbers of the items you want to add.

Or cancel everything and reorder.

Sarcasm fail. Spectacularly.

I could list examples all day, really. Just because stopping piracy is the intention, doesn't mean it gets a free pass for shitting on consumers. And, anyway, proprietary memory cards will ultimately do very little to prevent piracy when the device has a USB port already.

That being said, proprietary memory cards do enable Sony's new single submission policy for simultaneous physical and digital releases, so I'm not entirely against them myself.
The Vita connects to the PC via a USB port on the PC, but it doesn't have a standard USB port itself, and as I understand it, you cannot see the Vita in your Windows file system - all file transfers are handled by the Vita end of things...

What I haven't been able to figure out (and what no one has clarified that I'm aware of) is how exactly they are copying homebrew and emulator files on the memory cards so that they can run them in the Vita's PSP emulator in those "ViTa HaXt!" videos on Youtube... I suspect they may have hardware hacked a USB card reader for them, but I don't know. I doubt they're managing it through the Vita firmware...

Also, boxed, physical copy of Little Deviants confirmed. Thank God it's not a digital download or on the memory card.
Ya, this is good news... though now I'll be sorely tempted to trade it in Day One on something else, like Ridge Racer, which for some bizarre reason remains so tempting despite all of its flaws... :(

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
DangerousDave said:
Any Vita-iPhone owner can confirm that Vita is able to read the wifi hotspots of iPhone?
Yes - downloaded some demos on that today.

Speaking of downloading, I can't stop being impressed by Vita's battery life when connected to WiFi/3G. Like the 3DS, it will continue downloading, talking to Near, updating your live-area, notifications etc. when it sleeps, but I can leave the thing for 12+hours and the battery barely moves.
I do the same with 3DS and it will die in under 6 hours from a full charge.

Luigiv said:
And, anyway, proprietary memory cards will ultimately do very little to prevent piracy when the device has a USB port already.
USB isn't an entry point to storage this time - I expect attacks will have to go through external card-readers.

I'm just waiting for similar deals to the 3DS's launch. I got a little burned by that last time, and I can wait until right before or the week after it comes out to get it.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Speaking of downloading, I can't stop I can leave the thing for 12+hours and the battery is still at 90%.
I do the same with 3DS and it will die in under 6 hours from a full charge.
Something wrong with your 3DS then. Doesn't start to die on me in sleep until almost 2 days later. (WiFi on, etc. )

TheExodu5

Banned
So, I'll be getting Little Deviants and Uncharted as part of the First Edition bundle, but I'm not sure what else to look out for. I've been hearing good things about Gravity Rush, so I'll probably check that out. Besides that, how's Rayman Origins looking? If it's the same thing as the console version, I might bite. Hot Shots Golf has me interested as well.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So, I'll be getting Little Deviants and Uncharted as part of the First Edition bundle, but I'm not sure what else to look out for. I've been hearing good things about Gravity Rush, so I'll probably check that out. Besides that, how's Rayman Origins looking? If it's the same thing as the console version, I might bite. Hot Shots Golf has me interested as well.

Rayman is a day 1. Looks to run at 60fps too. I am likely getting Hot Shots. Wipeout looks pretty good. Don't forget the PSN stuff like Stardust too.

Yeah, switched to the First Edition, I freakin' love that case and the week early is nice. I'm ordering Uncharted and my 32GB card from Newegg with 3-day shipping, but the 4GB card with the First Edition will come in handy for WipEout and Hot Shots on Day -7.

Any chance Amazon will add release-day shipping to accessories like the In-Ear Headset and Protective Film?

Good luck. The box will most likely say NOT FOR RESALE. So, I doubt GameStop or anyone will take it, if they notice the label.
Good point... Oh well, maybe I'll be able to trade it on Kijiji for someone's Ridge Racer after they get it home and go "WTFTHREETRACKSOMG!!!1!!"

The label is normally the UPC so a retailer can't scan it in, but ebay is always an option.
eww... ebay is never an option
(for selling stuff, anyway - those fees, and the idiot buyers... gack!)

I've got the Canadian First Edition bundle fully paid off.

I'll be getting Escape Plan and Gravity Daze when they're available, and probably Wipeout.

JWong

Banned
Sarcasm fail. Spectacularly.

I could list examples all day, really. Just because stopping piracy is the intention, doesn't mean it gets a free pass for shitting on consumers. And, anyway, proprietary memory cards will ultimately do very little to prevent piracy when the device has a USB port already.

That being said, proprietary memory cards do enable Sony's new single submission policy for simultaneous physical and digital releases, so I'm not entirely against them myself.

As pointed above, it doesn't have a USB port.
There won't be memory card readers or writers for sale.
Everything is done on the Vita.

Everyone and their mom's have SD card reader/writers. Even the pirates' mom.
SD cards are simply so cheap because everyone is making them. No one can manufacturer a new product and compete against 100 unified manufacturers at price point.

Raine

I hope it's Mac compatible by the time launch gets here. I would hate having to go in and out of bootcamp to transfer to this thing. Bah, I guess it's a good thing I have the option to at least.

theBishop

Banned
Pretty sure that they said that case was specific to the first edition bundle. This case http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Vita-Travel-Pouch/dp/B006PP41Q8/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1326990802&sr=1-3 is for sale on Amazon and is the one I'm getting. It has room for the Vita, 4 games, and the charging cable.

I'm getting the same one. Hopefully it's not too thick to fit in my laptop bag. Vita seems rugged enough to throw in a bag without a case though. I haven't seen any reviews say the sticks snap off or anything like that.

JWong

Banned
I'm getting the same one. Hopefully it's not too thick to fit in my laptop bag. Vita seems rugged enough to throw in a bag without a case though. I haven't seen any reviews say the sticks snap off or anything like that.

Yeah, they're definitely tough even after attempting to pull them off. Much better than the PSP.

btkadams

is there a site that has reviewed a bunch of different cases? it seems like we aren't getting the variety that japan has, so i'm considering importing one of the many from there.

wotta

Carl

That first edition bundle case looks perfect for me. Come on SCEE, give me a bundle with that thing in it and I'm done!

Wish they would announce some bundles :( Even the PS3 had some good retailer bundles. Not seen any at all for Vita though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom