• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita US Launch Details (Launch Games, Accessory Pricing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those debating about the first edition bundle...I guess think of this way. Stop thinking about the price so much, and think about what it comes with. To you, is that stuff you'd actually want?

At first I was just going to get the regular wifi version myself for $250...but then I kept looking at the first edition bundle. I didn't want the 3g version at first, because I didn't wanna start paying for the service and I didn't think I'd use it., so that wasn't a real big selling point for me. However I guess it would be nice to have the option if say next year, I finally start taking advantage of it.

Looking at the other stuff coming with the bundle though, if you have the money, it doesn't seem too bad of a deal. The carrying case it comes with actually looks quite nice, and the places to put more Vita games is definitely a plus. I was going to be getting a memory stick, and while 4gb is kinda small, it'll get me started for the first few months at least. Little Deviants actually looks like a game I'd like to play. It looks like a fun diversion, and a cool way to check out the features of the Vita.

I have the money, and I'm excited enough to want to get it a week early so I decided to preorder the first edition bundle. I weighed the value, and to me it's worth it. Ask yourselves these questions. If money is not an issue, and you're excited, or you think the items in the bundle are cool, then it's worth considering.

EDIT: omg, why do I always end up posting the last post of a page? no one's ever gonna see this, lol

Bumping just for you. I'm in the same situation. I wanted the Wifi bundle.. cuz the price, but I wouldn't mind having GPS and 3G available sometime when I might start using it.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It's only about $50 more after you factor in the VAT, in the grand scheme of things you really aren't getting screwed much at all.

As a British consumer. I don't see it like that at all. That's the price of a memory card.
I do believe Sony could have released it in the UK for the magical price of £199 rather then £229 which would have generated a lot more interest and generated more sales.

Bumping just for you. I'm in the same situation. I wanted the Wifi bundle.. cuz the price, but I wouldn't mind having GPS and 3G available sometime when I might start using it.

It depends on your habits with handhelds. I know people who have no problem trading in handhelds for the latest revision every time.

If you aren't completely sold on 3G and want to take a wait-and-see approach, you can always go with WiFi for now, and pick up the 3G version of whatever the next model of Vita is in a few years, or something. Or just sell your WiFi model and buy a 3G later on if there's something you really want to use it for.

Zutroy

So my work (Morrisons) now has the Vita available in the system. It however doesn't have a price set on it yet, which might be an indication that they plan on selling it less than the RRP.

They also have the 4, 8 and 16GB cards available, but only 5 games on the system so far.

Uncharted, Wipeout, Unit 13, Silent Hill and Lego Harry Potter.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So my work (Morrisons) now has the Vita available in the system. It however doesn't have a price set on it yet, which might be an indication that they plan on selling it less than the RRP.

Interesting.

Pre-ordered mine yesterday

-Vita Wi Fi
-Memory 16Gb
-BBCSEX
-Wipeout 2048
-Rayman Origins

I'll be waiting for a price drop before getting Uncharted....FIFA is still a maybe

tumblr_lkuz575lls1qd4t2k.gif

Lothars

I decided I wanted to preorder the Vita, So I preordered the first edition and I am really hoping that PSN versions of Vita games are a little cheaper because I only plan to pick up UMVC3 at launch since I want a digital copy. I am still kicking myself for missing the bestbuy promotion but such is life.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I disagree so hard with Pachter in that eurogamer article:

"The price is great for what you get, but the fact is that the Vita is priced the same as the PS3. As a practical matter, someone without a PS3 would probably be happier if they bought a console first, and someone with a PS3 might look hard at the Xbox 360 at a similar price before a Vita.
"If a consumer already has a PS3, they won't really feel compelled to buy a Vita to play Uncharted, for example, but they might want to play Gears of War or Halo. Thus, although a good value, I think Vita is a tough sell. It would have been great in 2004-2006."

The bolded section is what I disagree with. He's painting the PlayStation consumer with a single brush.

Thing is, I can't take my PS3 and Xbox 360 with me on my long bus ride to work. That alone makes the Vita appealing to me. My 360 is currently red-ringed, and instead of repairing it or buying a new one, I'm buying a Vita. That fact that the Vita is is offering me some of my favorite PlayStation franchises on the go, with very few compromises in terms of presentation/game play, that tips it over purchasing a replacement 360.

To his second point, yes, I do want to play Uncharted on the go, despite having the first 3 on the PS3. It's not like Golden Abyss is a remake of Drake's Fortune, or a port of the sequels. It's a brand new entry to one of my favorite new IPs of the generation. Also, I'm not a fan of Gears of War or Halo. And if I was, I'd probably love the chance to play them on my bus ride to work. In either case, Gears and Halo aren't the reasons why I bought an Xbox (It was Mass Effect, Bioshock, and Alan Wake).

Different strokes for different folks, Pachter. Not everyone is enamored with smart phone gaming, or the popular franchises from competing consoles. Some people are just PlayStation fans that want their favorite series on the go, as well as the latest tech from their preferred console manufacturer of choice.

Also, there seems to be this expectation that, at launch, the Vita is aiming for the casual market. When has that ever been a strategy of Sony in all their years in the gaming hardware business? The PS1, PS2, PS3, and PSP all launched at a premium to the enthusiastic PlayStation fanbase. After a good year or two, the focus then shifted to more casual gamers in the form of price drops, and a broader games library. This is true for Vita as well.

Hardcore PlayStation fans, and maybe technophiles will snag the Vita asap, and at the least carry it through it first 6 months on the market. As the software library grows, and positive word of mouth spreads, the system will find it's stride, or maybe Sony will lower the price by a fraction ($229 for the Wi Fi, $269 for the 3G models).

Because of the nature of the Vita hardware, it is in a better spot to grow it's software library than the PSP ever was, in that there is a lot of cross-compatibility/sharing of assets between PS3 titles and Vita titles. PSN titles especially have a chance to really expand the Vita library significantly in the coming months. Can you imagine Journey being compatible with Vita? Or even Starhawk (non PSN exclusive, but you get my drift)?

Vita is a hardcore gamer enthusiasts dream handheld, and yet it can still cater to the desires of the smart phone market once it begins to expand and grow it's reach.

Day one isn't for that dude or dudette obsessed with Angry Birds. Day one is for those dudes and dudettes obsessed with Uncharted, and Wipeout, and UMvC, and Blaze Blue, and Mod Nation Racers, etc.

Sure, maybe on their own those titles may not be system sellers, but together? Available day one? Yeah, I think it'll move the units it needs to, and then the next wave of games (ie, Unit 13, Gravity Rush, etc) will slowly but surely pull in the fence sitters.

It's just too early to write the system off, and assume that it's supposed to snag/convert smart phone gamers out the gate.

krae_man

As a British consumer. I don't see it like that at all. That's the price of a memory card.
I do believe Sony could have released it in the UK for the magical price of £199 rather then £229 which would have generated a lot more interest and generated more sales.

Minimum wage in the UK is about 20% higher and as such employers in the UK that are involved in the sale of systems(warhouses, retailers etc) probably have higher operating costs and that has to be factored into the cost of the system.

Again you're not getting screwed over much and it won't take much of a currency swing for you to not be screwed over at all.

legbone

You can now change your Amazon order of Wipeout 2048 to have release day delivery.

Just changed mine from the two-day.

Thanks for the heads up. 02/15/12 is going to be a glorious day in the legbone household. too bad my mom's birthday is a week later and now i will be too broke to get her something nice. oh well, it's not like it would be the first time i have disappointed my mother! lol. hope i can find something nice for her in the $50 range because that is probably all i will have. unless i cave and preorder hot shots golf. then it will be a $20 present. maybe i can give her a coupon for a year's worth of free hugs.

branny

If anything makes me get the First Edition bundle, it'd be the case of all things. God damn it. Are we sure it isn't going to be available separately?

legbone

vyse answered better than i did. that case is definitely awesome in my opinion.

PS: a friend of mine stated that i would have to subscribe for att 3g service to be able to use the vita at all. he's crazy right. surely you can just turn of the 3g and treat it like a wifi model, right?

- J - D -

That 1st Ed. Case may be exclusive, but I'm sure some 3rd party manufacturers will make a case that looks and functions the same at some point.

I want it on the 14th, but I can't justify the extra 100. 50 for 3G which I'd never use, and then another 50 for a game I have no interest in, a case I dont want, and a tiny mem card. They probably would have had me if not for the 3G. Instead I've got the Wifi version and a 32 gig card pre-ordered, and I'll be buying Lumines, Hot Shots, and Super Stardust via PSN in addition to finally giving Monster Hunter Freedom Unite a shot now that the claw isnt necessary.

PS: a friend of mine stated that i would have to subscribe for att 3g service to be able to use the vita at all. he's crazy right. surely you can just turn of the 3g and treat it like a wifi model, right?

Your friend is cray cray.

legbone

that's what i thought but he got me doubting myself. i don't know why i listen to him sometimes. he's wrong way more than he is right. he's just jelly that i'm getting hooked up a week earlier than him.

UFRA

For those debating about the first edition bundle...I guess think of this way. Stop thinking about the price so much, and think about what it comes with. To you, is that stuff you'd actually want?

At first I was just going to get the regular wifi version myself for $250...but then I kept looking at the first edition bundle. I didn't want the 3g version at first, because I didn't wanna start paying for the service and I didn't think I'd use it., so that wasn't a real big selling point for me. However I guess it would be nice to have the option if say next year, I finally start taking advantage of it.

Looking at the other stuff coming with the bundle though, if you have the money, it doesn't seem too bad of a deal. The carrying case it comes with actually looks quite nice, and the places to put more Vita games is definitely a plus. I was going to be getting a memory stick, and while 4gb is kinda small, it'll get me started for the first few months at least. Little Deviants actually looks like a game I'd like to play. It looks like a fun diversion, and a cool way to check out the features of the Vita.

I have the money, and I'm excited enough to want to get it a week early so I decided to preorder the first edition bundle. I weighed the value, and to me it's worth it. Ask yourselves these questions. If money is not an issue, and you're excited, or you think the items in the bundle are cool, then it's worth considering.

EDIT: omg, why do I always end up posting the last post of a page? no one's ever gonna see this, lol

You have a good point here and got me thinking now....lol

But at the same time, I have a smartphone so I don't know how much I would really use Vita's 3G capabilities in reality.

The only thing that I really want out of that first edition is the case. I'd imagine after Vita releases we will see those cases springing up on ebay from people who just wanted the first ed. but didn't care about the case.

....hey, I'll buy the case from you for $20. Hmm????? :D ;)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The intent is to buy a Peter and a PS3 next month. Soon I shall be neglecting it more often while I sit on the PC lol

But we can do SARP!

@'@

Finally got accepted into Gaf, pretty excited to be part of the forthcoming launch of the Vita! I think I made my decision of what to get.
-PS Vita (WiFi) $250
-8gb stick $30
-Uncharted GA $40 (Amazon Pre-ordered before changed to $50)
-SSD hopefully $10
-Motorstorm RC my guess is $15
-some cheap knockoff pouch off eBay like 3$

So total, with release date shipping and no tax in Indiana from amazon should be around $350.

Hopefully Amazon also does some get $25 off a game, like with the 3DS.

btkadams

Finally got accepted into Gaf, pretty excited to be part of the forthcoming launch of the Vita! I think I made my decision of what to get.
-PS Vita (WiFi) $250
-8gb stick $30
-Uncharted GA $40 (Amazon Pre-ordered before changed to $50)
-SSD hopefully $10
-Motorstorm RC my guess is $15
-some cheap knockoff pouch off eBay like 3$

So total, with release date shipping and no tax in Indiana from amazon should be around $350.

Hopefully Amazon also does some get $25 off a game, like with the 3DS.

buy motorstorm rc for ps3 because you get the vita version for free. well, i guess we don't know what the cost is yet, but it's what i'm doing!

DBT85

First post hurrah! Been lurking since the PS3 slim photos leaked.

I've had my Vita on pre order from Amazon UK for a few months with Uncharted. I've not yet got a memory card ordered however I did manage to get Rayman and Lumines ordered when they had it priced for like £6 each and they still haven't cancelled it.

I've pretty much been the driving force behind the thread on OCUK trying to keep anyone interested updated but so few people seem to know about the Vita. Still yet to see any kind of advertising anywhere.

While I'm here, big thanks to kyletwentytwo and redsungamer for all the videos!

Good question. Can anyone confirm you can actually turn off the 3g? My assumption is, turning on wifi automatically shuts off 3g.

First post hurrah! Been lurking since the PS3 slim photos leaked.

I've had my Vita on pre order from Amazon UK for a few months with Uncharted. I've not yet got a memory card ordered however I did manage to get Rayman and Lumines ordered when they had it priced for like £6 each and they still haven't cancelled it.

I've pretty much been the driving force behind the thread on OCUK trying to keep anyone interested updated but so few people seem to know about the Vita. Still yet to see any kind of advertising anywhere.

While I'm here, big thanks to kyletwentytwo and redsungamer for all the videos!

Us newbies both huh! But yea, they really need to get the momentum going here, I asked a best buy manager when they'd get kiosks, and he said at least one week before launch. He may just be saying that though, cause that's what happened with best buy and the 3ds. They said they'd get a demo station like 3 weeks before launch but that never happened. But maybe with the 1st edition bundle who knows. Not sure if I'll wait for a demo station or just go to the Chicago social club like 3.5 hours away.

Toki767

Good question. Can anyone confirm you can actually turn off the 3g? My assumption is, turning on wifi automatically shuts off 3g.

I'm pretty sure you don't even have to sign up for 3G when you first boot up the system. They give you the option to but you should be able to skip it.

Can you people recommend me best choice for importing US PS Vita to Europe?
400$ price for Wi-Fi one is killing me, so i decided to go this route

btkadams

So, is there ANY way to get the Canada bundle version bought and shipped to the US?
Amazon.ca doesn't ship electronics here??

are you just wanting it for the case? just buy the wifi one in the states and look for the cases on kijiji or something. amazon.ca does not ship electronics outside of canada.

407941_2917091240923_1069985230_3024890_1411774408_n.jpg

Found an import shop selling memory! Bought it now... didn't realize how much more I paid then if I had waited... Oh well. Going to pick up a vita next week when they restock!

Yuripaw

Banned
I disagree so hard with Pachter in that eurogamer article:

"The price is great for what you get, but the fact is that the Vita is priced the same as the PS3. As a practical matter, someone without a PS3 would probably be happier if they bought a console first, and someone with a PS3 might look hard at the Xbox 360 at a similar price before a Vita.
"If a consumer already has a PS3, they won't really feel compelled to buy a Vita to play Uncharted, for example, but they might want to play Gears of War or Halo. Thus, although a good value, I think Vita is a tough sell. It would have been great in 2004-2006."

The bolded section is what I disagree with. He's painting the PlayStation consumer with a single brush.

Thing is, I can't take my PS3 and Xbox 360 with me on my long bus ride to work. That alone makes the Vita appealing to me. My 360 is currently red-ringed, and instead of repairing it or buying a new one, I'm buying a Vita. That fact that the Vita is is offering me some of my favorite PlayStation franchises on the go, with very few compromises in terms of presentation/game play, that tips it over purchasing a replacement 360.

To his second point, yes, I do want to play Uncharted on the go, despite having the first 3 on the PS3. It's not like Golden Abyss is a remake of Drake's Fortune, or a port of the sequels. It's a brand new entry to one of my favorite new IPs of the generation. Also, I'm not a fan of Gears of War or Halo. And if I was, I'd probably love the chance to play them on my bus ride to work. In either case, Gears and Halo aren't the reasons why I bought an Xbox (It was Mass Effect, Bioshock, and Alan Wake).

Different strokes for different folks, Pachter. Not everyone is enamored with smart phone gaming, or the popular franchises from competing consoles. Some people are just PlayStation fans that want their favorite series on the go, as well as the latest tech from their preferred console manufacturer of choice.

Also, there seems to be this expectation that, at launch, the Vita is aiming for the casual market. When has that ever been a strategy of Sony in all their years in the gaming hardware business? The PS1, PS2, PS3, and PSP all launched at a premium to the enthusiastic PlayStation fanbase. After a good year or two, the focus then shifted to more casual gamers in the form of price drops, and a broader games library. This is true for Vita as well.

Hardcore PlayStation fans, and maybe technophiles will snag the Vita asap, and at the least carry it through it first 6 months on the market. As the software library grows, and positive word of mouth spreads, the system will find it's stride, or maybe Sony will lower the price by a fraction ($229 for the Wi Fi, $269 for the 3G models).

Because of the nature of the Vita hardware, it is in a better spot to grow it's software library than the PSP ever was, in that there is a lot of cross-compatibility/sharing of assets between PS3 titles and Vita titles. PSN titles especially have a chance to really expand the Vita library significantly in the coming months. Can you imagine Journey being compatible with Vita? Or even Starhawk (non PSN exclusive, but you get my drift)?

Vita is a hardcore gamer enthusiasts dream handheld, and yet it can still cater to the desires of the smart phone market once it begins to expand and grow it's reach.

Day one isn't for that dude or dudette obsessed with Angry Birds. Day one is for those dudes and dudettes obsessed with Uncharted, and Wipeout, and UMvC, and Blaze Blue, and Mod Nation Racers, etc.

Sure, maybe on their own those titles may not be system sellers, but together? Available day one? Yeah, I think it'll move the units it needs to, and then the next wave of games (ie, Unit 13, Gravity Rush, etc) will slowly but surely pull in the fence sitters.

It's just too early to write the system off, and assume that it's supposed to snag/convert smart phone gamers out the gate.

I agree with pretty much all your points. A lot of game journalists seem to be stuck in this bubble where 2 things seem to always come up. One: they think xbox 360 is the best home console experience, so why wouldn't everyone want to jump on that bandwagon at some point. And two: Smart phone gaming is the only type of handheld gaming that matters anymore, and console style games have no place on handhelds, and that the gaming specific handheld market is doomed.

Jeff Gerstmann from giantbomb has often said that he doesn't want that kind of console type game experience on a handheld, especially when it compromises the game to where it doesn't look nearly as good. I think this is where people are not giving the Vita enough credit. It's not like previous handhelds where we'll be getting watered down ports, they're already putting out really great looking versions of current gen games on the Vita. Vita is a really impressive piece of hardware that matches the PS3 really well in terms of presentation. I am also really interested in the prospect of playing some games on my PS3, then taking my save file on the go and playing it on the Vita when I'm not at home. That's a major selling point that I think once implemented more, a lot of hardcore gamers might really get behind.

Gaf, please help. I am so hyped up about this release(Australia 23rd Feb) I cant make any logical decisions about what to get.

Confirmed is: With horrid prices
Vita WiFi - $350AUD(I know.......) I should mention this comes with the Blue Earphones and a copy of Ridge Racer.
16GB Card - $60AUD(I know.......)
Uncharted - $59AUD(I KNOW RIGHT!)
Virtua Tennis 4 - $59(My wallet ><)

Now - I cant make a decision on a 3rd game to pick up locally at launch. After getting 3 launch games I am doing what I always do and buy online. Ozgameshop has most there games at $42 and is always free shipping so that's reasonable for me. I really want a beat-em-up/fighter which limits me to Blazblue or UMVC3. I am not the biggest UMVC fan or Blazblue but again, I really want a fighter. Trouble is Street Fighter is my passion, and releasing 2 weeks after launch I feel I should wait. This leads me to getting Dynasty Warriors which I have played heaps of in the past. But at the same time Shinobido looks amazing and I have not played it before so I feel it could be a better experience.

Also has anybody found any information about Mortal Kombat? Whether its a direct port with online play etc or is it completely different?

Halp :? and thankyou.

branny

Halp :? and thankyou.
Sorry, this comment isn't really what you're asking for, but the first Lumines was the best game on PSP for a long time. Is there any reason why you're against getting the Vita one?

Just wait for SF x Tekken if you really want a SF game. Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX for PSP on PSN can hold you over if it's available to you. Shinobido is not quite a beat em up; you'd be better off getting Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus if you want something similar to satisfy that particular craving. Mortal Kombat will be a port of the console games with the DLC characters included; it has additional Vita content/functionality (touchscreen Fatality swiping, etc.) and online capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom