• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 vs. N64

Status
Not open for further replies.

andymcc

Banned
Again, I'm not saying that no one legitimately enjoyed it back then and I'm also not saying that people cannot have changed their minds legitimately.

I forgot to bring up this point but don't you not think Nintendo is sainted and worshiped as is though? Look at the SNES versus Genesis thread and the GCN versus Xbox thread.

fvng

Hells yeah dude! I've got the PS1 to thank for introducing me to that entire genre. If I hadn't ever played Broken Sword, I'd have never experienced other masterpieces in the point & click adventure genre like its sequel, Grim Fandango, The Curse of Monkey Island and The Longest Journey.

That was the beauty of the console really. Not just terrific games, it really exposed a lot of genres to an audience that was shy towards them before.

PS1 had Discworld as well. I can't recall a single adventure game published on n64. A variety of excellent games is always preferred.

More overlooked ps1 gems

The granddaddy to dark/demon's souls (literally From Software's spiritual predecessor to Demon's Souls)

210631.jpg

Excellent game, too bad the 2nd one was skipped, but at least we got Echo Night 3 on PS2.

echo1-web.jpg

In traditional Nintendo fashion they lose this one due to a lack of 3rd party support.

That ps1 library is deep. Square put out as many must play games for the PS1 as Nintendo did for the N64. Then you add all the other publishers hitting out of the park on PS1 like Konami, Capcom, Namco etc and THEN you add 1th party stuff?

A landslide doesnt do it justice how one sided this fight is.

I forgot to bring up this point but don't you not think Nintendo is sainted and worshiped as is though? Look at the SNES versus Genesis thread. The GCN versus Xbox thread.

Sure it is, but there are also people whose hobby it is to shit up every Nintendo-related thread posted with the same tired shtick. You'd see their numbers drop dramatically.

Mxrz

I was around 14 or so prior to the 64 launch. Total Nintendo fanboy, hyping the Ultra 64 with dat Robotech. Picked up a PSX after the ff7 news, and renting one and having a blast. Immediately started buying games since they were $20-$30 cheaper than old carts.

Long story short; finished the gen with Mario and OOT, and about 60-70 PSX games. I rented about every N64 game I could find, and was disappointed in everything short of Golden Eye.

The PSX has a library that absolutely dwarfs everything, and I genuinely do not believe any system could top it. If there was ever a golden age of gaming for me, that was probably it.

My father promised my brother and me a game console for christmas.
So we went to a local store to choose between a PS1 and a N64. The salesman there was a big Sony fan. He showed us the demo with the walking 3D T-rex and apparently that convinced my dad to go for PS1.

trixx

I don't understand what there's left to argue... The arguments have been the same since page 5. Ps1 has a better library in my opinion. However there is nothing wrong with a person having more enjoyment with the n64 library and thus preferring it over the ps1 library.

I've had more fun with the n64 library because I usually played multiplayer games on it with 4 players. But I still think the ps1 has a better library overall. I don't understand why shitting on one another's preferences is necessary.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I don't understand what there's left to argue... The arguments have been the same since page 5. Ps1 has a better library in my opinion. However there is nothing wrong with a person having more enjoyment with the n64 library and thus preferring it over the ps1 library.

I've had more fun with the n64 library because I usually played multiplayer games on it with 4 players. But I still think the ps1 has a better library overall. I don't understand why shitting on one another's preferences is necessary.
You are 100% right, but some people think that because your opinion is different than their own, then your opinion is wrong; so that's that.

MYE

He did read the answers, and he's quite right in summing up the bulk of pro-n64 posts. I received the same exact impression.

If someone is confident in their preference of the larger PSX library over the N64's, why go to such lengths in trying to dismiss those who feel differently? Why question the honesty of these folk when they clearly point out what games made the pendulum swing the other way.
Goddamn threadstarter is ridiculing people who don't side with him in his own VS thread and you are agreeing with that? lol
Why was this thread created then? To weed out people until its a one machine circle jerk?

At the end of the day , only a few games resonate and stick with you for years to come. Not entire libraries.
If most of those very rare games happened to be released on a system with a smaller library for some, learn to deal with it.

fvng

Definitely agree with you here, but since this thread is about N64 vs PS1... The only way you can measure which was a better is by comparing libraries, which one had more highly rated games. Arguments like 'I had more fun with this game' are too subjective and anecdotal to be considered when evaluating which one was a better console.

Library is the only thing that matters in that sort of debate.

If someone is confident in their preference of the larger PSX library over the N64's, why go to such lengths in trying to dismiss those who feel differently? Why question the honesty of these folk when they clearly point out what games made the pendulum swing the other way.
Goddamn threadstarter is ridiculing people who don't side with him in his own VS thread and you are agreeing with that? lol

What are you saying, that the thread starter can't participate the debate because he started the thread? Why does he need to remain impartial as a thread starter? More arbitrary rules that you set.

At the end of the day, only a few games resonate and stick with you for years to come. Not entire libraries.

See my response to trixx above.

People voted with their wallets. PS1 sold almost three times as much as N64. I think that says a lot. This is a very lopsided argument. PS1 had the best and and most varied library between the two. N64 had some great games but if I had to be stuck on an island for a few years with only one choice.........Playstation One......hands down. There is no contest.

Eusis

I think there's more backlash to HOW some of these opinions are phrased and how people feel about them. There's nothing wrong with favoring, say, SM64 and OoT to the whole PS1 library, or valuing the MP experiences of the N64 more than the generally stronger SP experiences of the PS1 (though those two games mentioned would be debateable exceptions), it's another thing to go saying bullshit like anyone who played both would be nonplussed by the PS1 offerings and that it's only "true entertainment" if you're enjoying it with other people or whatever, citing how you can watch TV shows and movies together. Even though some of those you really may prefer to see alone and that disregards the entire damn medium of books (sure, you can read them aloud but you can read them faster for yourself, nevermind if you have issues following spoken word over written word.)

kess

Would be very interested in hearing what you would say are the equivalents on the N64 for the following (and remember, reasonably close in quality):

Gran Turismo 2
Parappa the Rapper
Tekken 3
Music 2000
Soul Reaver
Ridge Racer Type 4
Future Cop: LAPD
Soul Blade
Time Crisis
Point Blank
Bushido Blade
R-Type Delta

Ok, I'll bite:

Beetle Adventure Racing
Dance Dance Revolution: Disney Dancing
Flying Dragon
uh... Pokemon Snap?
Zelda: OOT
Cruisin' USA
Blast Corps
Fighter's Destiny
Turok 2
Drunk Goldeneye
Super Smash Brothers
Dezaemon

tmtyf

For me, n64 wins.

don't get me wrong, psx has GREAT games and rpgs (my favorite genre) but at that time there wasn't really online console gaming so it was gather all your friends together and play games which the 64 was phenomenal at. No mercy, goldeneye, Mario kart, turok, so many great memories.

fvng

Ok, I'll bite:

Beetle Adventure Racing
Dance Dance Revolution: Disney Dancing
Flying Dragon
uh... Pokemon Snap?
Zelda: OOT
Cruisin' USA
Blast Corps
Fighter's Destiny
Drunk Goldeneye
Super Smash Brothers
Dezaemon

He said reasonably close in quality. Cruisin' USA is nowhere near the quality or depth of Gran Turismo. It doesn't even look as good

MYE

Definitely agree with you here, but since this thread is about N64 vs PS1... The only way you can measure which was a better is by comparing libraries, which one had more highly rated games. Arguments like 'I had more fun with this game' are too subjective and anecdotal to be considered when evaluating which one was a better console.

huh
From the OP:

So, GAF, I turn the question to you: which system do/dd you prefer? PS1 or N64?

So where exactly did you get the idea that we were going full on subjective and impersonal with this? Cuz thats not what I see OP asking...
And why would you even want something that boils down to cold math instead of honest opinions?

What are you saying, that the thread starter can't participate the debate because he started the thread? Why does he need to remain impartial as a thread starter?

If you can't tell the difference between not being impartial and ridiculing opposing opinions, then there is no point in dragging this any longer.

More arbitrary rules that you set.

Oh the irony lol

Snakeyes

Features count too, don't you think? Competent 4 player MP was pretty much a N64 exclusive during that gen.

fvng

From the OP:

So where exactly did you get the idea that we were going full on subjective and impersonal with this? And why would you even want something that boils down to cold math instead of honest opinions?

Because the impact of OOT to yourself (you claim it was life changing) means nothing to someone like me who was put off by that game entirely. Personal opinions and stories mean nothing to me (We played Smash Bros all night!) Quantifying the number of quality/universally praised games on both consoles is the only way to measure which system was ultimately better.

Someone can think that OOT is better than the lump sum of the PS1 library, and that's fine if they truly believe that, but I reject that idea that A SINGLE GAME can make one system superior to another one. Pardon me while I look at the output on both systems and make a more educated assessment on which system was better.

stn

I never had a PS, was with N64 the day it launched. IMO:

Zelda: OoT
Mario 64
Perfect Dark
WWF No Mercy

Just those few titles alone made the console EPIC for me. I've invested 500+ hours in the last two titles combined. If I had a PS1 I'd have enjoyed Street Fighter Alpha 1-3, not sure what else. I probably would've liked Crash Bandicoot, Syphon Filter, and whatever else I'm forgetting.

I was a huge Nintendo fan during the SNES days, but the combination of coming a year later and losing Final Fantasy to Sony sealed the deal. Even while playing great games like Ridge Racer, Resident Evil, FFVII and Metal Gear Solid I would champion N64 hardware. I loved Mario64 when I could play it and wanted to play OOT, but the cost of entry was too high to just play a handful of games that I knew I'd like.
In the end if I had to choose which one to take to a deserted island, it would be PS1.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Both systems had junk on them. The question becomes which system had the better cream? I owned both the PS1 and the N64 (and the Saturn). The titles I had the strongest feelings for in that era are N64 (Mario 64, Goldeneye 64, the AKI wrestling games, Rare games, Ocarina of Time) and Saturn (Guardian Heroes and Mystaria). The titles I had strongest feelings for on PS1 were Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Tomb Raider, Twisted Metal, Chrono Cross, and the Final Fantasy 7-9.

I think both cases are pretty valid PS1 and N64 in terms of cream were pretty equal, though personal taste will dictate which highs were higher in specific game circumstances.

I felt this way about most consoles that lasted a long time. Couldnt agree more.

Awesome post

You got them all. And #8 almost implies the entire library was quality, that is definitely not the case.

Sorry, Mario. The PlayStation wins this battle for me. There are more games on the PlayStation that appeal to me than there are on the N64, especially in the sports, shmup, and RPG genres. Sony's first-party games were impressive, and third-party support was huge.

Discs allowed for full motion video and high-quality music and sound on the PlayStation. The same kinds of media on N64 carts were compressed and took hits to their quality.

Demo discs let us try out games before release on the PlayStation; the N64 had nothing like that. That was a big advantage, in my book.

I won't deny that the N64 has some memorable games, with even a few versions of multiplaform games that were better than their PlayStation counterparts (NBA Hangtime,
NFL Blitz)... but it's not enough to overcome Sony's console debut.

Exactly. I still have demos of PS1 games to this day. And that demo with Jumping Flash....I probably havent played a demo as much to this day as those on that disc.

Ridge Racer, Need for Speed, Klonoa, Tekken, Dino Crisis, IQ, Devil Dice, Castlevania, Tony Hawk, Street Fighter, Ape Escape, Legacy of Kain, Time Crisis, Point Blank, Colin McRae, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Wipeout, Tomba, Einhander, Bushido Blade, Soul Blade, Mega Man, Silent Bomber, Rollcage, Twisted Metal, Destruction Derby, Abe, Parappa, Silent Hill...and the list really does go on.

Dont forget Tomb Raider...

PS1 had Discworld as well. I can't recall a single adventure game published on n64. A variety of excellent games is always preferred.

More overlooked ps1 gems

The granddaddy to dark/demon's souls (literally From Software's spiritual predecessor to Demon's Souls)

210631.jpg

Excellent game, too bad the 2nd one was skipped, but at least we got Echo Night 3 on PS2.

echo1-web.jpg

Kings Field 1 and 2....is on my list of fav games of all time.

N64 had quality...PS1 did too. Quality games on the N64 dont dismiss the quality games on the PS1. They both had legendary games. How many times do we see threads, articles of games of all time and see titles from each console on the list?

Eusis

Yeah, but only the Cruisin' series lets you go to the moon

nCQzxRu.png
You couldn't have possibly picked a worse example of an advantage.

Hilarious thing is that this wasn't even about Gran Turismo but Ridge Racer... in which case Cruisin' is still a poor alternative. I'd sooner cite Mario Kart or F-Zero, especially as Ridge Racer's an arcade racer anyway rather than a simulator. But there's probably better examples to dig up, Cruisin' is more an Outrun clone anyway.

EDIT: Or just play it straight and have picked Ridge Racer 64, whatever. Kind of like how you didn't even need to pull up F-Zero to counter Wipeout, just Wipeout 64.

tmtyf

Because the impact of OOT to yourself (you claim it was life changing) means nothing to someone like me who was put off by that game entirely. Personal opinions and stories mean nothing to me (We played Smash Bros all night!) Quantifying the number of quality/universally praised games on both consoles is the only way to measure which system was ultimately better.

Someone can think that OOT is better than the lump sum of the PS1 library, and that's fine if they truly believe that, but I reject that idea that A SINGLE GAME can make one system superior to another one. Pardon me while I look at the output on both systems and make a more educated assessment on which system was better.

so you don't want to hear peoples opinions but rather go by which games were rated higher (peoples opinions)?

MYE

Then you didn't understand what the OP was asking (I'm not entirely sure he did either, considering his reaction to the answers of one side in his X vs Y thread) and you being upset people are not following cold math and impersonal, subjective analysis is entirely on you.

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said OOT alone made me more fond of my time spent with the N64.

Mzo

If the question is just "which do you prefer?" then there's nothing to argue. You say which one you like more, drop a cute story about playing some game and move on.

If the question is "which is the better game system?" the answer is the Playstation.

It kind of felt like the OP was asking the 2nd question, but he does literally have the first question at the end of his post so maybe all my posts were for nothing.

Mxrz

Features count too, don't you think? Competent 4 player MP was pretty much a N64 exclusive during that gen.

Well, my problem is these systems didn't exist in a vacuum. I was doing multiplayer stuff on the PC (yay MPlayer) and absolutely hated the idea of split screen. So the 4 player co-op thing was never on the table for people like me.

I'm trying to understand the pro-N64 side, cause that's what my inner fanboy was desperately seeking at one point, but I just can't see it. I don't want to say everything sucked, but damn, everything did suck. I rented f'ing Quest 64, man. I tried everything.

MYE

so you don't want to hear peoples opinions but rather go by which games were rated higher (peoples opinions)?

Yeah All you need is a calculator and a search engine for that type of number-based comparison. You don't even need people as there is no discussion to be had if personal input isn't welcome.

dothemath.jpg

Bought a PS1 way later than i first thought. N64 all the way... but i wanted to know what Resident Evil was all about and so i bought the Directors Cut and a PS1. I still think i had more fun with the N64 overall but i declared FF7 my favorite game of all time then and it's the only console where i've played a few Jrpgs before losing interest in the genre again in the next console gen.

RE1-2, FF7- 8- 9, MGS, GT 1-2, Tekken 3, Abes Oddysee- Exodus, Colin McRae Rally, Castlevania SotN etc... to me personally the PS1 had better games than the PS2!

nkarafo

Seriously we need Turok shots for some real N64 fog.
N64 had fog.

PS1/Saturn had pop up.

I mean, so many people praise Nights but the pop up makes Turok's draw distance look like GTA5.

Also, not all N64 games had pop up/fog. Just because Turok had it doesn't mean every game had it. Play some Banjo-Kazooie to see what the N64 could do in terms of draw distance/textures/sharpness.

kess

Heh, I remember kind of getting enthused for Aidyn Chronicles before it came out. One wonders why Nintendo just didn't contract Camelot to do a RPG for the system.

Would be very interested in hearing what you would say are the equivalents on the N64 for the following (and remember, reasonably close in quality):

Gran Turismo 2
Parappa the Rapper
Tekken 3
Music 2000
Soul Reaver
Ridge Racer Type 4
Future Cop: LAPD
Soul Blade
Time Crisis
Point Blank
Bushido Blade
R-Type Delta

World Driver Championship
Disney DDR
Fighter's Destiny or SD HIryu no Ken Densetsu (Flying Dragon's superior sequel)
none
OoT, MM, Shadow Man, Castlevania, Castlevania: LoD, etc.
RR64, Top Gear Overdrive, Hydro Thunder, etc etc
Battletanx: Global Assault
Mace: The Dark Age
Knife Edge: Nose Gunner
see above; N64 has no lightgun, and that's the only "lightgun-style" game on the system, really
There isn't anything else quite like Bushido Blade, but for fighting games in general, SSB
Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth or Bangaioh

fvng

Then you didn't understand what the OP was asking (I'm not entirely sure he did either, considering his reaction to the answers of one side in his X vs Y thread) and you being upset people are not following cold math and impersonal, subjective analysis is entirely on you.

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said OOT alone made me more fond of my time spent with the N64.

Don't put words in my mouth, I never said OOT was the only game that you considered lifechanging. Re-read my post.

Agreed 100%. That makes n64 a better party system for sure, but games that pushed the medium forward were happening on ps1, that is much more important factor when considering which was a better system.

To clarify, isolated posts here where people are giving 'gaming all night stories' mean less to me than a side by side list of what are generally accepted as the best games on each console. "I gamed all night" is not a compelling argument in other words. There are ways to measure this, so yes cold hard math.

Synth

Ok, I'll bite:

So we have...

Gran Turismo 2 -> Beetle Adventure Racing
Parappa the Rapper -> Dance Dance Revolution: Disney Dancing
Tekken 3 -> Flying Dragon
Music 2000 -> Pokemon Snap
Soul Reaver -> Zelda: OOT
Ridge Racer Type 4 -> Cruisin' USA
Future Cop: LAPD -> Blast Corps
Soul Blade -> Fighter's Destiny
Time Crisis -> Turok 2
Point Blank -> Drunk Goldeneye
Bushido Blade -> Super Smash Brothers
R-Type Delta -> Dezaemon

Soul Reaver to Zelda is actually pretty obvious I guess, I shouldn't have put that there (Shadowman would have worked too). I'd never heard of Dezaemon... I have my doubts, but I can't really say anything seeing as I have no clue what it's like.

The rest is hilarious though, lol. My favourites were definitely Time Crisis to Turok 2, and Point Blank to Drunk GoldenEye. :)

Laieon

games that pushed the medium forward were happening on ps1, that is much more important factor when considering which was a better system.

They were happening on the N64 as well.

"I gamed all night" is not a compelling argument in other words. There are ways to measure this, so yes cold hard math.

I don't know, I think enjoyment is a pretty large part of determining what console is better, even if "enjoyment" is subjective. At the end of the day, games are there for entertainment. If someone got more entertainment out of one console than the other, then the choice is pretty easy.

fvng

They were happening on the N64 as well.

Mario 64 is the only example of a medium pushing game on the N64, in my opinion. Mario Kart felt no different than the SuperNES version to me.

World Driver Championship
Disney DDR
Fighter's Destiny or SD HIryu no Ken Densetsu (Flying Dragon's superior sequel)
none
OoT, MM, Shadow Man, Castlevania, Castlevania: LoD, etc.
RR64, Top Gear Overdrive, Hydro Thunder, etc etc
Battletanx: Global Assault
Mace: The Dark Age
Knife Edge: Nose Gunner
see above; N64 has no lightgun, and that's the only "lightgun-style" game on the system, really
There isn't anything else quite like Bushido Blade, but for fighting games in general, SSB
Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth or Bangaioh

Your inclusion of those two Castlevania games.. makes me feel like you are reaching.

Same. I think PS1 is still Sony's best console. PS2 was really close, though, while PS3 is a far cry from those two systems.

The 360/PS3 were pretty piss poor compared to the ps1/ps2 era.

balgajo

Ocarina of Time VS No Ocarina of Time

My Ocarina of Time experience has more value than all of my other game experiences together. So N64 nails it IMO.

Xanos

Neo Member
N64 wins, although this battle is alot closer than it was with the Saturn, which was a colossal faliure in my eyes (at least in the USA). No doubt PS1 has some absolutely incredible games but when a vast majority of those games don't appeal or resonate with you in any significant way, a large part of it's attractiveness diminishes. The analogy I use to describe a majority of the PS1's library is like watching a new movie for the first time and while you enjoyed said movie and it was worth watching, you have no desire or need to ever watch it again. N64's library, to me, are like movies you can watch over and over and never get tired of them. To this day, 18 years later, I still play N64 games with my friends and family. So many unforgetable multiplayer experiences with N64. I should also mention that I absolutely hate turn based RPGs, while certainly not the only genre of game on PS1, they are generally some of the most recommend and highly regarded games on the platform.

fvng

Ocarina of Time VS No Ocarina of Time

My Ocarina of Time experience has more value than all of my other game experiences together. So N64 nails it IMO.

More of this nonsense.

"One game pounces an entire library of another system" This is by far the worst argument in this thread, regardless of which side you are taking in this debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom