• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

sorry if this is explained in an earlier post but does anyone know why the menus in final fantasy xii are so laggy? is there anything i can do to speed them up? it's nothing gamebreaking but it'd be nice if they were snappier.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
xbulletholes said:
sorry if this is explained in an earlier post but does anyone know why the menus in final fantasy xii are so laggy? is there anything i can do to speed them up? it's nothing gamebreaking but it'd be nice if they were snappier.
Try playing at a lower internal resolution or native. Even if your system plays the 3D portions at full speed just fine, you can still hit slowdown in the map/menu.

that was definitely it, thank you!
... though now it's all jaggy (can only do x2 native res. on my macbook pro)! is there anything i can do about this? i can't seem to force AA without 'hacking' it, is that right? unfortunately i'm not entirely sure how to, i can't seem to find the config. file i'm meant to edit...

flanker37

I haven’t used PCSX2 in a while, but had the urge to try out another game the other day, and decided on some good old Macross. It ran very well, I had a full 60 fps even with 4x native resolution (didn’t try a higher multiple) on my old gtx260. Hope you guys don’t mind the many screenshots.

gsdx_20110611233233ghhm.jpg

gsdx_20110611233214phjc.jpg

gsdx_20110611234517zdpk.jpg

gsdx_20110611234530diyw.jpg

gsdx_20110611234743uctf.jpg

gsdx_20110611235419cizs.jpg

Daedalus Attack!
gsdx_20110612000001ehn1.jpg

gsdx_20110612000244zgq5.jpg

gsdx_20110612000312ahz2.jpg

Milia!

A few more in thumbnail form

Great game.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
EDIT: NM, it seems to be going both ways with Ar Tonelico, I'll need to experiment more. What I can say for sure is that Software makes the FMVs viewable, where Hardware makes it look horrible.

Software
AT_soft.jpg

Hardware
AT_hard.jpg

What's even more confusing is that the game runs much smoother in the opening sequence when graphics are running on Software, but once Lyner crashes on Sol Ciel, it runs better when running on Hardware. Very weird game, probably just isn't meant to work well with PCSX2. :/

RurouniZel said:
EDIT: NM, it seems to be going both ways with Ar Tonelico, I'll need to experiment more. What I can say for sure is that Software makes the FMVs viewable, where Hardware makes it look horrible.

PCSX2 apparently has a lot of problems with FMVs in hardware mode. I've run across similar problems in a few different games.

RurouniZel

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
PCSX2 apparently has a lot of problems with FMVs in hardware mode. I've run across similar problems in a few different games.

So most game FMV like Final Fantasy would look like crap too? Man, that sucks. :(

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
RurouniZel said:
So most game FMV like Final Fantasy would look like crap too? Man, that sucks. :(

Nope, for some reason the compatiblity of FF games is really high and FMVs look perfect in hw mode, even with upscaling. Just depends on the game.

Zomba13

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
Some games though it's fine. Like the FF or Persona games.

Clevinger

Ar Tonelico should run fine. It did a couple years back for me.

In Software Mode, have you set the rendering threads to 3 if you have a quad core yet?

RurouniZel

Clevinger said:
Ar Tonelico should run fine. It did a couple years back for me.

In Software Mode, have you set the rendering threads to 3 if you have a quad core yet?

I have a Quad core AMD Phenom overclocked to 3.81 Ghz. I haven't tried that yet, does that fix the FMV issue?

Clevinger

RurouniZel said:
I have a Quad core AMD Phenom overclocked to 3.81 Ghz. I haven't tried that yet, does that fix the FMV issue?

The FMV should be fixed just being in Software Mode. But setting the rendering threads to 3 should make Software Mode much faster.

RurouniZel

Clevinger said:
The FMV should be fixed just being in Software Mode. But setting the rendering threads to 3 should make Software Mode much faster.

Yeah sorry, that's what I meant. I'll try that.

EDIT: There's still a ton of slowdown, especially in the music. :(

Quixzlizx

RurouniZel said:

There are hardly any FMV scenes in AT. Can't you just play in Software mode in the sections directly before FMV scenes? It's not like FF where you'd be switching back and forth every hour.

RurouniZel

Quixzlizx said:
There are hardly any FMV scenes in AT. Can't you just play in Software mode in the sections directly before FMV scenes? It's not like FF where you'd be switching back and forth every hour.

I suppose I could do that. But then there are sprite issues too, like you can see the border around their face portraits where the expression changes. >_<

Clevinger

RurouniZel said:

That doesn't make much sense. You have a capable system and Ar Tonelico is one of the lesser demanding games. You could always try speedhacks.

RurouniZel

Clevinger said:
That doesn't make much sense. You have a capable system and Ar Tonelico is one of the lesser demanding games. You could always try speedhacks.

I probably don't have my plug-ins set correctly or something. :-/

Le-mo

I finally got PCSX2 up and running properly, but I am having trouble using the Dualshock 3. I downloaded motionjoy and mapped all the buttons under pad1 but how do I map the left and right analog sticks?

Durante

RurouniZel said:
What's even more confusing is that the game runs much smoother in the opening sequence when graphics are running on Software, but once Lyner crashes on Sol Ciel, it runs better when running on Hardware. Very weird game, probably just isn't meant to work well with PCSX2. :/
I completed AT2 in PCSX2 -- it worked perfectly for me in Software, Hardware has the "Gust-trademark" 2D graphics offset issue.

(It's funny to check the revision log and see how often some changes in PCSX2 break Gust games specifically. They are quite picky)

Jaxter09

Is there any way to do a 50hz>60hz patch on games?
I'm from PAL land and games look a bit clunky running 50fps on a lcd monitor.

Jaxter09 said:
Is there any way to do a 50hz>60hz patch on games?
I'm from PAL land and games look a bit clunky running 50fps on a lcd monitor.

Just edit the PCSX2_vm ini file.

You will find these two lines in it...

FramerateNTSC=59.94
FrameratePAL=50.00

Change the PAL one to 59.94, save it, then all 50hz PAL games will run at NTSC 60fps....

Le-mo

Le-mo said:
I finally got PCSX2 up and running properly, but I am having trouble using the Dualshock 3. I downloaded motionjoy and mapped all the buttons under pad1 but how do I map the left and right analog sticks?
Anyone? I watched youtube videos and still couldn't figure it out.

ChryZ

Auto Modellista

- PCSX2 0.9.8 R4600, i5-760@3520MHz, GTX460@715Mhz, 1920x1200
- Preset 3 Balanced
- GSdx 4600 SSE41: D3D11, 5x, Texture filtering, Allow 8-bit textures, HW Anti Aliasing 1, rest default
- SPU2-X all default

am_panorama0n1v.png

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
If I want to play with a Dual Shock or Dual Shock like controller wirelessly, what should I do?

I'd like one to play both PS1 and PS2 backups.

ExMachina said:
Nope, for some reason the compatiblity of FF games is really high and FMVs look perfect in hw mode, even with upscaling. Just depends on the game.
Nah FFX-2's FMVs look... well, pretty bad unless you set the resolution to native.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
PataHikari said:
Nah FFX-2's FMVs look... well, pretty bad unless you set the resolution to native.
My bad, didn't know that. I was basing that comment off of FFX and FF12, and assumed that the FFX fix worked for X-2 as well.

Trojita said:
If I want to play with a Dual Shock or Dual Shock like controller wirelessly, what should I do?

I'd like one to play both PS1 and PS2 backups.
The MotioninJoy drivers have support for using PS3 controllers over Bluetooth. Keep in mind that it will overwrite any other drivers if you do install wireless support, so you won't be able to use any other BT devices.

I wish I could give more info about configuring MotioninJoy, but I don't use it... Maybe there's some info in this thread that could be useful:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=410974

Jaxter09

DeFiBkIlLeR said:
Just edit the PCSX2_vm ini file.

You will find these two lines in it...

FramerateNTSC=59.94
FrameratePAL=50.00

Change the PAL one to 59.94, save it, then all 50hz PAL games will run at NTSC 60fps....
Wow thanks, this works great for FFX, now PAL is the best version. FFXII freezes on startup though...

goonergaz said:
I'm thinking of "upgrading" my PCs CPU to get some PS2 action...I have a AMD Athlon64 3000+ (Socket 939) and can upgrade to something from this list:

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-MSI/K8N_Diamond_(MS-7100).html

My gfx card is a 8800GTX...am I wasting my time? What CPU is best from my options?

Thanks in advance :)

I wouldnt bother, there isnt a single AMD cpu that will be able to run PCSX2 at 100% speed...even Phenom II's clocked in the 4Ghz range are too slow.

If emulation is your thing, the Intel 2500k or 2600k clocked at 4.5Ghz or more are the only CPU's out there that can just about run everything at 100% speed.

Just to give an idea how far behind AMD are in emulation, you would need to run an AMD cpu at 6-7Ghz to get the same performance as 2500k or 2600k at 4.5Ghz...

ChryZ

My earlier Odin Sphere settings work great with GrimGrimoire:

- PCSX2 0.9.8 R4600, i5-760@3520MHz, GTX460@715MHz, 1920x1200
- Preset 3 Balanced
- GSdx 4600 SSE41: D3D11, 4x, Texture filtering, Allow 8-bit textures, Offset Hack, rest default
- SPU2-X all default

gg_panoramat7ne.png

Le-mo said:
Can anybody help me out here?

Have you made sure in MotioninJoy's DS3 tool that the mode is set to something other than Playstation 1? Mapping the analog sticks should be as simple as moving them in the right direction after clicking the appropriate buttons in the controller config window.

goonergaz

DeFiBkIlLeR said:
I wouldnt bother, there isnt a single AMD cpu that will be able to run PCSX2 at 100% speed...even Phenom II's clocked in the 4Ghz range are too slow.

If emulation is your thing, the Intel 2500k or 2600k clocked at 4.5Ghz or more are the only CPU's out there that can just about run everything at 100% speed.

Just to give an idea how far behind AMD are in emulation, you would need to run an AMD cpu at 6-7Ghz to get the same performance as 2500k or 2600k at 4.5Ghz...

yeah, cheers for that.

I've been looking for a frontend that would let me select games from my HDD and game specific configs (a bit like Dolphin does it) and I've been SOL so far.

I really like the idea of adding my ps2 games to my Steam library. Has anyone managed to associate a particular config file to each game?

I really love the emu and it works wonders but changing the config when I move from a game to another is a bit tedious. Particularly when a couple of my 2D games (such as SRW OG) will only work in software mode while the 3D games look way better in HW mode.

Sorry if I've missed anything obvious in the thread about that and TIA for any answer.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Palette Swap said:
I've been looking for a frontend that would let me select games from my HDD and game specific configs (a bit like Dolphin does it) and I've been SOL so far.

I really like the idea of adding my ps2 games to my Steam library. Has anyone managed to associate a particular config file to each game?

I really love the emu and it works wonders but changing the config when I move from a game to another is a bit tedious. Particularly when a couple of my 2D games (such as SRW OG) will only work in software mode while the 3D games look way better in HW mode.

Sorry if I've missed anything obvious in the thread about that and TIA for any answer.
There's a companion app called PCSX2 Profile Manager that might be what you're looking for, but I don't know if it works with the most recent versions of PCSX2. You can set the options individually for each game and it makes separate profiles, then when you want to launch that game you just run it from the Profile Manager and it loads with the config for that game.

As for Steam, you can add arguments to the shortcut target to set the config file just like you would in the command line. Check this out for the arguments you can use, there are two config options.

ChryZ

Palette Swap said:

Couple three pages earlier it was explained how to run PCSX2 in portable mode. This allows you to have a PCSX2 emu for each game with its own settings. You still can use one big shared memory card, just point the path in each PCXS2 instance to its location.

IrishNinja

using pcsx 0.9.8 & mymc, cant get either to format a memory card for use, though...

*EDIT fixed! all good now, though if anyone can tell me how to fix some of these effects in persona 4 (some textures flash, main character blurs etc) that'd be awesome.

im on an i5-760 with a 6870 GPU, and i think i set it to render from GPU, is that what's causing this? should i select CPU? it looks absolutely beautiful otherwise, and now that the minor headache of converting my PS2 gamesave over is done, i can't wait to get back into this game.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Baloonatic's config for God Hand / Yakuza 1 works fine for Yakuza 2.

As an addendum for both Yakuza 1 & 2 though, there are artifacts that pop up now and then, most frequently some excessive blurring during cut-scenes. Skipdraw hack does nothing, despite what is said in his post (and in various forum posts around the internet.) The easiest solution is to simply flip between Hardware and Software Rendering on the fly (tap F9). Whenever a cutscene comes up, just flip it over. Toggling it back and forth also helps with the occasional artifacting that occurs during normal gameplay. It seems to force a redraw of the screen and that usually clears up the issue. Cutscenes need to be rendered by software though, almost as a rule.

I'll edit this post with screenshots and specific configuration details later.

I am having trouble getting the emulator to recognize my wired xbox 360 controller. When I select xbox360 controller in the plugin menu and then test it I can see that the emulator recognizes it but when I load a game I taped everything and it wont respond. I tried 2 games so far (FF X and SH2). Is there a setting I need to change?

IrishNinja

...does anyone know what key/setting im accidentally triggering on the emu taht makes everything move at 2x speed? its nice sometimes, but i keep having to turn off/on to get it to cease when its fucking me up.

ChryZ

IrishNinja said:
...does anyone know what key/setting im accidentally triggering on the emu taht makes everything move at 2x speed? its nice sometimes, but i keep having to turn off/on to get it to cease when its fucking me up.
Tab.

Top Bottom