• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 and xvid/divx with multiple audio tracks?

Raistlin

Does anyone know of a way to get this to work? It seems to just default to the first one, and not let you select others.

For subtitles, I've been using AVIAddXSubs which works great for subtitles (creates XSUB track(s) from srt files) ... but neither the original avi, nor the resulting xvid allow me to change audio tracks.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Kabuki Waq said:
wait ps3 can handle soft subs?

please explain as It would help me out greatly.
IIRC, they added soft sub support to divx files a couple of fw's ago.

Raistlin

Kabuki Waq said:
wait ps3 can handle soft subs?

please explain as It would help me out greatly.

For divx/xvid or avi's containing divx/xvid, if you have an srt file (I haven't tried idx/sub, but its supposedly supported as well), you can use AVIAddXSub to generate an divx file that incorporates an XSUB in it (which PS3 now recognizes as part of its divx certification).

You can place multiple subs in it, and they are all pretty customizable as well (location on screen, font, size, color, etc). I usually take an English sub and generate two subs in the xvid. One with a slightly larger font for small TV usage ... and one with a slightly smaller font for large TV usage. Its pretty damn sweet.

rc213

Onix said:
For divx/xvid or avi's containing divx/xvid, if you have an srt file (I haven't tried idx/sub, but its supposedly supported as well), you can use AVIAddXSub to generate an divx file that incorporates an XSUB in it (which PS3 now recognizes as part of its divx certification).

You can place multiple subs in it, and they are all pretty customizable as well (location on screen, font, size, color, etc). I usually take an English sub and generate two subs in the xvid. One with a slightly larger font for small TV usage ... and one with a slightly smaller font for large TV usage. Its pretty damn sweet.

.Bookmarked

phez

Banned
because there's no switcher available to the end user, you'll have to set whatever video/sub/audio stream you want to default during muxing.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
not sure about multiple soundtracks, but yeah.. subtitles work flawlessly. have watched quite a few subs so far. and yes, idx/sub files work fine as do srt. AVIAddXSub handles both with ease. Remember that when you're setting up the sub encode that the resulting sub in the divx file IS IN FACT A BITMAP SUB just like DVD. So do what you want with font, size, location, etc in AVIAddXSub because once you do it you'll have to completely redo it again if you don't like it.

Raistlin

neight said:
IIRC multiple audio in an avi container is a messy hack which some players won't handle well.

That why I'm wondering if there is some sort of divx standard for doing it akin to how XSUB for subs work?

And if so, is there a nice utility like AVIAddXSub that will take an avi and generate a divx file in the proper format?

rc213 said:
.Bookmarked

Don't feel bad, I just researched and started using it this week :p

jett

D-Member
phez said:
because there's no switcher available to the end user, you'll have to set whatever video/sub/audio stream you want to default during muxing.

Click on "audio options"(I think) in the menu, it'll cycle through the left/right/both channels and then it will start doing so for the other audio tracks. How to create a PS3-compatible avi file with this shit...I dunno.

Matroska support can't come soon enough. :p

Raistlin

phez said:

Any good muxing programs you can recommend for switching the default?

Also, when you say there is no switcher, is was under the impression the Audio Options was for that? In normal files, it gives you a selection of left, right, and left+right. I assumed that if there were multiple audio tracks it would allow you to select it if the file was encoded such that the PS3 recognized it?

Is that an incorrect assumption?

mus6677

PS3 can handle multiple audio stream for divx video. I am able tu mux 3 audio streams on 1 divx video and the ps3 can switch between audio track using the audio option

Raistlin

borghe said:
Remember that when you're setting up the sub encode that the resulting sub in the divx file IS IN FACT A BITMAP SUB just like DVD. So do what you want with font, size, location, etc in AVIAddXSub because once you do it you'll have to completely redo it again if you don't like it.

This is true. I'd recommend testing out a few muxes with some small files (since it will only take a minute to generate), so you can find the configuration you like.

Its too bad AVIAddXSub doesn't allow you to store configs (or does it, I just started using it and didn't really read the instructions :p).

Drag and dropping to the exe or shortcut is an awesome feature though!

mus6677 said:
PS3 can handle multiple audio stream for divx video. I am able tu mux 3 audio streams on 1 divx video and the ps3 can switch between audio track using the audio option

Can you recommend some good programs for this ... especially ones that support demuxing avi's?

rc213

Onix said:
That why I'm wondering if there is some sort of divx standard for doing it akin to how XSUB for subs work?

And if so, is there a nice utility like AVIAddXSub that will take an avi and generate a divx file in the proper format?

Don't feel bad, I just researched and started using it this week :p

I had been using sub2divx but it's pretty cumbersome and doesn't work all the time.

Top Bottom