• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 BD movie impressions by AVSforum member(Kindom of heaven and VC1 titles within)

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Seems PQ on PS3 is much better than on the Samsung Blu-ray player :D:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=748982

Some interesting posts:

d3code said:
ok here with new info i discovered!

first of all. if you have a hdtv monitor that can handle 1080p. here is a tip.

you need first to connect the analog cables that come with the ps3 and the hdmi cable to the minotor. when you start up your ps3 make sure that in system settings you change to hdmi.

then change the setting on the benq monitor to hdmi. only this way it works.

somehow the monitors dont automaticly understand the hdmi signal and it wont work. this left me with big problems. because now my ps3 monitor has hdmi as signal. and i cant get it back to 480i again on my other monitor.

also i tried with different cables from hdmi to dvi doesnt work. i also tried setting 1080i. still not work.

also i updated to firmware 1.10 and loadtimes still same. nothing imporved for me on kingdom of heaven.

i cant try yet 8 below and corpse bride on the ps3 yet. because i gave them to my friend to watch. i will get them back tommorow or monday.

also in the ps3 you cant change settings to 1080p 24 frames a second or 1080p 60 hz. so we can asume for this moment that it only does 1080p 60hz. you can only select 1080p.

anyway today i had very little time to check out on the plasma tv with samsung bluray player. and compare that to ps3 as bluray player. but i will do that tommorow.

now me is going home dead tired and getting some sleep.

More:

d3code said:
ok much more updates in here.

first of all grandmaster is right. you need to push 5 seconds the power button down and it automaticly calibrates the signal. it standsl also in the manual. but hey what can i say. real man dont read manuals :)

i just checked today Ridge Racer 7 on it. and all i can say it is amazing.

when you put in ridge racer. after about 3 seconds it reads the disc. the background of main menu changes into ridge racer logo. and if you go to the game icon in main manu ( looks like ps3 controller ) then you see a small video played.

now when you pres sthat video it strats the game.

loading time takes about 30 seconds to go to xevios mini game. here you can play it. press start will go to main game.

now somethign cool. when i was at main menu i put out the bluray ridge racer disc just to see if it would crash or something. but i could go to the options in the game . now when i actually press start and it should load a course. it simply hangs. it doesnt show a message there is no game disc. but.............. when i put the disc back inside. it starts loading the game without any hickup or problem. awesome.

also 1 more tip. if you want to quit the game and go back to main menu. hold down the PS button in teh middle of the joypad and it will show a menu where you can turn of the system, return to main menu etc.

MORE MOVIES CHECKED :)

i tried today 8 below ( USA version )which is avc encoded.

and i can say it works perfect. same speed as kingdom of heaven 10 seconds loading time.

also i tested today the samsung player with the ps3 with the samsumg 46 inch plasma player we have at work. and i can tell you the ps3 picture quality is far better then the samsung. i am truelly surprised. remeber 8th below is soft looking. well playing the movie with the ps3 it totall renders the soft image away. and show a very natural movie display.not that it will be raor sharp. but natural looking image. how i would expect the movie to look like. the movie picture i was hoping to see

also 8 below shows bitrates between 11 and 21 mps so far with a dd 5.1 48 kz 640KPS audio track.

also i turn off the ps3 while playing 8th below . it takes 20 seconds total to boot up the ps3 and play that excact same chapter in the movie when i turned off the ps3.

Dinosaurs. ( USA Version ) remember how soft this movie looked. Fear no more the PS3 is here and i have to say.incredible! i mean seriously. the picture quality is so much better now. when i am right infront of the tv. it looks simply perfect. so natural as this picture looks. the softness it is gone. the dark scenes looks perfect. however when i move left or right from the tv. it shows the picture softer. but when i am standing right infront of it. it is perfect. this is how i wanted to experience this kind of movie.

Lethal Weapon ( USA ) VC-1 encoded. another movie like dinosaurs that was soft looking.

the beginning. specially there picture looks soft and colors are kinda washed out, after that it gets a whole lot better :)

it shows 5.1 channel english 48 khz and vc-1 encoded bitrate going from 18 till 25 mps.

around the 30 minute mark the quality really shines. it shows now a very natural color. same as dinosaurs and 8th below. the softness is gone. but only when you watch it right infront of the tv. if you go little bit left or right it shows a more softer image.

also if you hold the PS button on your joypad for 2 seconds while playing a movie you can chose between contine movie or go back to main menu of the ps3. if you hold the PS button for 5 seconds. you go to menu where you can chose shutdown system or change controller input.

also the PS3 is dead silent. i havent experienced any system like this that is this silent. there is no difference if it is powered on. or powered off.(EDIT:ZOMG!)

all in all i am very very amazed with this system as a bluray player and as game machine.

and there are so many options to play with. it is also not a console anymore. but a truelly multi media machine. and i can only imagine what people will do it with in the future when they will start programming utils for it.. i think we will see so many incredible utilities for it.

today i was thinking what if i install linux and put something like words on it or photoshop. connect a wireless keyboard and mouse i could just work infront of my tv. when i get bore di play agame or listen to music.

anyway so far comparing the ps3 to the samsung video wise. the PS3 wins it. actually i think the PS3 would come very very close to the PQ quality of the Pioneer. ofcours ethe pioneer aint finished yet . so it is hard to compare it to that.

audio wise. i am not an expert in that at all. so i feel that i can compare the difference between the players. to test that well i would have to connect the hdmi connection to a audio system and that the hdmi to tv. i just dont have that audio system. not at work and at home.

just let me say this, 600 usa dollars for this machine is rediculous cheap. i am a poor guy. but what i am really really impressed with all the functions on the ps3. it is truelly easy to lose track sometimes on which buttons you have to press. because there are so many options.

the only thing i would like to see though in the PS3 is that when i put a movie inside that i watched like halfway. that when it start up it would gave me the option you want to start the movie where you left off or do you want to start at the beginning o fthe movie.

very much like with powerdvd on the pc. so hopefully they can put that in the a firmware down the road.

other then that. if you thinking should i buy ps3 or not for bluray movie playback or to switch over to high defenition in general. i can tell you right away. buy it. 10000% buy it.
you wouldnt regret it that is for sure.

also 1 more thig. if you have a dvi connection on your tv only. no problem.

just buy a full pins cable that go from hdmi to dvi. connect the hdmi cable to ps3 then connect it to dvi on your tv. power on monitor and press the poweron button 5 seconds and it works. well at least for me :)

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I hope I can get one... :(

I wonder if this thread will be 4D?

Raistlin

Sweet impressions K-Lee!

While I'm not surprised that it is better than the Samsung (with it's fubar nose-reduction settings, etc.) ... I'm impressed to read it is truly a night and day difference!

Also, to hear and AVS'er claim it is literally dead-quiet ... that definitely is ZOMG awesome! :D

Suikoguy said:
I hope I can get one... :(

I wonder if this thread will be 4D?

Ask ... and ye shall receive :)

Goldrusher

just buy a full pins cable that go from hdmi to dvi. connect the hdmi cable to ps3 then connect it to dvi on your tv. power on monitor and press the poweron button 5 seconds and it works. well at least for me

What about the audio ?

Zaptruder

Banned
So a lot of the Bluray complaints about quality weren't necessarily due to the poor encoding or some such, but to the only bluray player out there...

Get them in good BD players (i.e. PS3) and suddenly they start looking a lot better eh?

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
SolidSnakex said:
If nothing else this will end the absolutely absurd VC1 PS3 debate.

I think that rumor stemmed from the OS specs that didn't list it.......problem with that rumor is, the listed specs were just for what kind of media can be played off the HDD, not the BD drive itself(whoops!).....VC1 is a mandatory codec in the Blu-ray spec.....PS3 could not be called a Blu-ray player if it didnt play disks encoded in MPEG2, AVC MPEG4 *and* VC1 :)

Well im glad i canceled my samsung br player order, ill import if sony dont come round my home tie me up and kill me for importing a unit like they did with import psp owners in the early days here in the uk:lol

Raistlin

Zaptruder said:
So a lot of the Bluray complaints about quality weren't necessarily due to the poor encoding or some such, but to the only bluray player out there...

A combination of both.

For the poor encodes, it mostly comes down to compression artifacts ... the lowering of apparent detail was the fault of the shitty Samsung.

Get them in good BD players (i.e. PS3) and suddenly they start looking a lot better eh?

How much better will be based on the transfer ... but yes, everything should be more detailed.

Raistlin

Kleegamefan said:
I think that rumor stemmed from the OS specs that didn't list it.......problem with that rumor is, spec were just for what kind of media can be played off the HDD, not the BD drive itself.....VC1 is a mandatory codec in the Blu-ray spec.....PS3 could not be called a Blu-ray player if it didnt play disks encoded in MPEG2, AVC MPEG4 *and* VC1 :)

While this is true ...

... I believe someone forgot to tell Sony that DVD upscaling is also part of the BluRay spec :D

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Goldrusher said:
What about the audio ?

PS3 has the option for:

Video+audio output via HDMI

OR

Video via HDMI+audio via optical

OR

Video via AV out+ audio via optical

OR

Video+Audio via AV out

Hope this clears that up:)

Angelcurio

also 1 more thig. if you have a dvi connection on your tv only. no problem.

just buy a full pins cable that go from hdmi to dvi. connect the hdmi cable to ps3 then connect it to dvi on your tv. power on monitor and press the poweron button 5 seconds and it works. well at least for me

Does this means that i can play the ps3 on my PC monitor that has a DVI conector?

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Onix said:
While this is true ...

... I believe someone forgot to tell Sony that DVD upscaling is also part of the BluRay spec :D

Well, before the Spring 2006 Xbox live update, X360 couldn't upscale DVDs either, so....perhaps we are just an update (or 2 or 4) away from upscaling DVDs, along with DTS-HD decoding and other niceities? :D

Raistlin

Kleegamefan said:
PS3 has the option for:

Video+audio output via HDMI

OR

Video via HDMI+audio via optical

OR

Video via AV out+ audio via optical

OR

Video+Audio via AV out

Hope this clears that up:)

Has this been confirmed?

In another thread people are claiming you cannot do this.

adg1034

Okay, with the post order messed up this bad, I think it's time for another round of "Why did the GAF servers break this time?"

Angelcurio

The forums are crazy or something?

I see some people posting from the future O_O

I mean, its 11:49 over here, and i see posts from 12:40, really weird.

The most weird of all is that i just posted and the post ended in the middle of the thread, WTF!, anyway i will start predicting the future then xD

Koomaster

I think I'm caught up in the Blu-Ray hype. *hugs dvd collection*

The fact that the PS3 is so silent is a really big selling point!! :)

Raistlin

Kleegamefan said:
Well, before the Spring 2006 Xbox live update, X360 couldn't upscale DVDs either, so....perhaps we are just an update (or 2 or 4) away from upscaling DVDs, along with DTS-HD decoding and other niceities? :D

Oh, I think it will end up being added (and probably for PS1/2 games also) ...

... MS didn't have a spec they were breaking tough :)

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Onix said:
Has this been confirmed?

In another thread people are claiming you cannot do this.

I was under the impression that was how it would be, judging by the B3D OS thread :/

So that changed somehow with the shipping PS3s?

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Koomaster said:

Upgrade the HDD, d/l Linux and FREEVO (free version of Tivo) and you have a full-fledged, silent running Home-Theater Computer, complete with High-Def PVR, Movie, Music, Photo edit and Internet functionality...and thats just for starters :D

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
yahso said:
THIS IS BIASED.
i want to believe but, 599USD Game Console > 1299 USD Blu-Ray Player?
$499 console (now that it has HDMI it's actually more sensible choice), and yes, it is better than Samsung at least :)

Raistlin

Kleegamefan said:
Upgrade the HDD, d/l Linux and FREEVO (free version of Tivo) and you have a full-fledged, silent running Home-Theater Computer, complete with High-Def PVR, Movie, Music and Internet functionality...and thats just for starters :D

KLee,

Do you have a recommendation for a quality USB capture card to use with FREEVO?

Also, how does one get past the problem of controlling channel selection on their cable box? Are there USB capture cards with cable-card slots available?

Christopher

yahso said:
THIS IS BIASED.
i want to believe but, 599USD Game Console > 1299 USD Blu-Ray Player?

Can someone please take care of this? A BRIEF glance at his post history 100% PS3 troll.

Doc Rock?

Petrarca

Banned
Koomaster said:

So far the PS3 reviews I read from the people that got it is that PS3 is HIGH QUALITY machine

- it's very quiet
- It ONLY gets warms after hours of hours of testing (not steaming hot)
- Very high quality blu-ray player, better than some of stand-alone BR players out there
- Rarely, IF EVER, crashed

So my worries are gone, I'm all hyped now, bring it bitches, PS3 AM HERE! :D

Oni Jazar

The Samsung came out about what 5 months ago? And the PS3 is subsidized so it's a no brainer that the PS3 could be better.

A nice "BOOYA" to those who said the PS3 would be a crappy BD player like the PS2 was for DVDs though.

rubso

Banned
TO: Sony + Samsung
Subject: thieves.
I WANT MY MONEY BACK NOW, AND YOU CAN TAKE YOUR 1299USD CRAPPY LOW-QUALITY HUGE BLU-RAY PLAYER WITH YOU...
"MESSAGE SENT"
btw guys, its illegal to play restricted formats in Linux ( as far as i know ).

klee123

Petrarca said:
So far the PS3 reviews I read from the people that got it is that PS3 is HIGH QUALITY machine

- it's very quiet
- It ONLY gets warms after hours of hours of testing (not steaming hot)
- Very high quality blu-ray player, better than some of stand-alone BR players out there
- Rarely, IF EVER, crashed

So my worries are gone, I'm all hyped now, bring it bitches, PS3 AM HERE! :D

NICE!

Looks like the system has no problems whatsoever. I guess I'll try to get one when I get the chance. Hopefully Sony releases enough units by the end of this year.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Oni Jazar said:
The Samsung came out about what 5 months ago? And the PS3 is subsidized so it's a no brainer that the PS3 could be better.

A nice "BOOYA" to those who said the PS3 would be a crappy BD player like the PS2 was for DVDs though.

If it can even come close to the PQ of the Pionee Elite BD player....which is designed from the ground up as a reference Blu-ray player.....then that will really be saying something.....

*sonycowboy*
That is almost too much to hope for though, it probably wont match up to the Elite */sonycowboy*

jaypah

damn Klee, thank for the info. every day the need for a PS3 is stronger and stronger. i was going to wait it out until March when i can hopefully waltz into bestbuy and just cop one but.......f this man, i need this thing asap. i love my 360 (when i have a working one) and the Wii is coming home this month but between the linux stuff, the quietness of the console, motorstorm, BD movies, wi-fi, user selectable hard drive, free online play and the awesome-o PS3 interface my hand is forced. it just seems too well built. i have officially lost my mind because i'm really starting to look at it like, "damn, this thing is only $600.00?" kudos to Sony....well played gentlemen.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Man it's great to hear that the PS3 is not a gimped Blu-ray player. And I love the fact that it's super silent.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Kleegamefan said:
Upgrade the HDD, d/l Linux and FREEVO (free version of Tivo) and you have a full-fledged, silent running Home-Theater Computer, complete with High-Def PVR, Movie, Music, Photo edit and Internet functionality...and thats just for starters :D

yeah PS3 is shaping to be my next media center.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
excellent news -- of course there's no reason the ps3 shouldn't be an excellent br player, barring the whole "but it's a game console" argument. after the recent rr7 revelations, i'm more excited about blu ray than any of ps3's launch games.

thelastword

Banned
Kleegamefan said:
DTS-HD decoding and other niceities? :D
I have the Creative Gigaworks 7.1 speaker system for my pc, I'm only a couple of days away from purchasing the DDTS-100 decoder from them as well, the intention is to use my 24" Acer Monitor with a HDMI to DVI cable for video and to get my sound via the optical input on the decoder. Is that a workable plan in your opinion?, any recommendations, also, if the PS3 firmware is updated with DTS-HD decoding, would I still require my decoder for sound output? Thanks in advance..

Top Bottom