• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 BD movie impressions by AVSforum member(Kindom of heaven and VC1 titles within)

Angelcurio

Angelcurio said:
also 1 more thig. if you have a dvi connection on your tv only. no problem.

just buy a full pins cable that go from hdmi to dvi. connect the hdmi cable to ps3 then connect it to dvi on your tv. power on monitor and press the poweron button 5 seconds and it works. well at least for me

Does this means that i can play the ps3 on my PC monitor that has a DVI conector?

Angelcurio

Angelcurio said:
also 1 more thig. if you have a dvi connection on your tv only. no problem.

just buy a full pins cable that go from hdmi to dvi. connect the hdmi cable to ps3 then connect it to dvi on your tv. power on monitor and press the poweron button 5 seconds and it works. well at least for me

Does this means that i can play the ps3 on my PC monitor that has a DVI conector?

Raistlin

I believe the HDMI output for the PS3 will only become active if it can get an HDCP handshake.

If your monitor does not support HDCP (which is kind of doubtful), then I don't think it will work.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Onix said:
I believe the HDMI output for the PS3 will only become active if it can get an HDCP handshake.

If your monitor does not support HDCP (which is kind of doubtful), then I don't think it will work.
Damn it, I was hoping I could use a HDMI capture card to do some better looking videos of the PS3 games, but it looks like I'll be stuck with the slightly blurry videos I get when using components.

Tieno

yahso said:
THIS IS BIASED.
i want to believe but, 599USD Game Console > 1299 USD Blu-Ray Player?
It's not so hard to believe, I've read that the 360 HD-DVD addon gives better picture than some HD-DVD players out there.

Like others, I really really like that the ps3 is really silent. I read in an Edge article about Motorstorm that the reason why the ps3 is so heavy is in part due to the soundproofing.

Raistlin

Blimblim said:
Damn it, I was hoping I could use a HDMI capture card to do some better looking videos of the PS3 games, but it looks like I'll be stuck with the slightly blurry videos I get when using components.

I don't have a PS3 (hurry up Friday), so take what I said with a grain of salt ... it is based on some others' comments.

That said, obviously it will not work for BD and DVD ... but hopefully the info is incorrect when it comes to games.

Axl

Is it known for sure that the PS3 doesn’t decode DTS-HD out of the box? I see it is mentioned on page 9 of the PS3 manual that was posted the other day, but of course I can’t read it =\

Also, does the PS3 have speaker level settings? With decoding done in the player, it can be helpful to be able to make adjustments prior to the signal being sent to the receiver. I’ve had to do this with my HD-A1 to get proper bass.

Raistlin

I thought it did 5.1 DTS-HD ...

... but doesn't (yet) support DTS-HD Master Audio.

BTW - Hey DTS ... QUITE CHANGING YOUR DAMN NAMING CONVENTIONS.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Onix said:
I thought it did 5.1 DTS-HD ...

... but doesn't (yet) support DTS-HD Master Audio.

BTW - Hey DTS ... QUITE CHANGING YOUR DAMN NAMING CONVENTIONS.

IIRC, its dts 2.0 out ATM....the sticker says so on the side of the PS3 :)

That said, scei also stated that they are working on dts-hd Master Audio 7.1 decoding on CELL( and then output as uncompressed LPCM via HDMI)....cant wait for that :D

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
thelastword said:
I have the Creative Gigaworks 7.1 speaker system for my pc, I'm only a couple of days away from purchasing the DDTS-100 decoder from them as well, the intention is to use my 24" Acer Monitor with a HDMI to DVI cable for video and to get my sound via the optical input on the decoder. Is that a workable plan in your opinion?, any recommendations, also, if the PS3 firmware is updated with DTS-HD decoding, would I still require my decoder for sound output? Thanks in advance..

The more advanced audio options (7..1 ch audio) like Dolby TrueHD and the forthcoming dts-HD MA is decoded on CELL, and output as uncompressed LPCM via HDMI....

The most important thing for you to find out is if your system accepts 7.1ch LPCM audio via HDMI, as that is the only way you will recieve 8 channel sound from PLAYSTATION 3....

thelastword

Banned
Kleegamefan said:
The more advanced audio options (7..1 ch audio) like Dolby TrueHD and the forthcoming dts-HD MA is decoded on CELL, and output as uncompressed LPCM via HDMI....

The most important thing for you to find out is if your system accepts 7.1ch LPCM audio via HDMI, as that is the only way you will recieve 8 channel sound from PLAYSTATION 3....
Well, I don't think that this decoder supports uncompressed sound, hopefully Creative releases one with that feature. Thanks....

M3Freak

Banned
Onix said:
Also, how does one get past the problem of controlling channel selection on their cable box? Are there USB capture cards with cable-card slots available?

Not sure if someone answered this already since the post orderd is trashed.

You'll need an IR blaster. I don't know if there are any USB IR blasters available. I don't know much about them period, actually. Anyway, the blaster allows the Linux box to control the cable/satellite receiver.

Raistlin

M3Freak said:
Not sure if someone answered this already since the post orderd is trashed.

You'll need an IR blaster. I don't know if there are any USB IR blasters available. I don't know much about them period, actually. Anyway, the blaster allows the Linux box to control the cable/satellite receiver.

Gotcha.

Top Bottom