• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 CFW/Jailbreak options?

So I've never owned a PS3 and I'm feeling like now is a good time to jump in on the cheap and scoop up a few games I've been missing out on.

I'm big into fighting games and my PS4 stick is compatible with PS3, so naturally I'm looking to scoop up some fighters. This got me looking at some of the PS3 exclusives like Chaos Code and JoJo but also looking further back at some more obscure PS2 fighters that are not for sale on PSN. I know only limited models natively support PS2 discs and the rest only emulate SOME games via software. So ideally, I would like one of those earlier models, but I would have to buy one used and I know those are also waiting to die via YLOD. So this got me thinking about CFW.

Is there a CFW for later model PS3s that support PS2 emulation? Is there a compatibility list? Is it region-free? Could I rip my games onto the hard drive?

I want to be able to access PSN so I can still buy games and play online without getting banned. Is that possible?

So, with PS2 compatibility in mind. What is my best choice? Early model PS3? PS3 with CFW?

Thanks for any assistance.

PS2 emulation on early PS3 models was hardware based. There was literally a PS2 emotion engine chip on the motherboard.

edit: apparently I was totally wrong and you CAN hack it back in.
So no, you can't hack it back in, unfortunately.
Get an original model PS3, if you can find one, or (much easier and cheaper) just get a PS2.

Eolz

Early model PS3 is your best choice (since it's HW compatibility), but I'd probably recommend PC emulation if you can.

PS2 emulation on early PS3 models was hardware based. There was literally a PS2 emotion engine chip on the motherboard.

So no, you can't hack it back in, unfortunately. Get an original model PS3, if you can find one, or (much easier and cheaper) just get a PS2.
I do have a PS2, I just don't have a stick for it.

This thread has exactly what I was looking for, decent compatibility too.

Now I need to know which PS3 is the best value, most reliable, biggest HD, etc...

MUnited83

For you.
The new models can also play PS2 games with CFW, though the emulation can be spotty depending on the game. Essentially, you can compile any PS2s ISOs with the PlayStation Classics emulador. This also works for PSP games as well.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
The regular Slim is what you need, preferably the CECHA 2000 series I believe. It can do PS2 games just fine, although its hardware emulation. You can't really tell the difference if you ask me.

Currently the Super Slim (the model with the slide open top) isn't jailbreakable

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
How can I tell all the models apart? I want a new system, latest possible model that I can jailbreak, with the biggest HD.

Thanks for the help so far.

Launch/PS2 BC -> CFW enable
Slim-> CFW enable up to a certain firmware (unless a downgrader happened?)
Super-slim/top-loader->No CFW AFAIK.

miserable

To install a CFW on a PS3 without hardware modification the firmware on the console has to be 3.55 or lower.Your chances of finding such a console are very slim, that's why your best choice is to find a PS3 Slim that already has CFW on it.You can swap the HDD in it if it's not big enough for you, or you can use an external HDD.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What would the hardware mod route be? Sticks? Chips?

To install a CFW on a PS3 without hardware modification the firmware on the console has to be 3.55 or lower.Your chances of finding such a console are very slim, that's why your best choice is to find a PS3 Slim that already has CFW on it.You can swap the HDD in it if it's not big enough for you, or you can use an external HDD.
Wouldn't they have these old FWs installed if I buy new?

Top Bottom