• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Exclusive WarDevil costs 10 million GBP to make ($19.7 million USD)

Dahbomb

Link here.

Ignition is presently developing a path-breaking top end game 'WarDevil' budgeted at around GBP 10 million and is expected to release it in the year 2008 exclusively on the Sony Playstation3(tm) (PS3) platform. PS3 was launched in November 2006 in Japan and the US and it is expected to sell more than 30 million units by the end of 2008.

Says Andy Whitehurst, the Creative Director spearheading 'War Devil', "The project is being developed exclusively for the Sony Playstation3(tm) and we're excited to be associated with Sony's next generation system. WarDevil is designed to leverage not only the videogames properties of the system, but also the Blu-Ray and media rich functions of the PS3 - presenting a unique combination of both Videogame & Motion Picture into a single, unique product, which gives cinematic High Definition content (1080P) in real-time on the PS3."

First Killzone at $21 million+ and now this game almost at $20 million... where is all this money coming from? Is this Sony money hats doing their stuff? Discuss.

hyp

let's just hope the game turns out good. if david jaffe's neoGAF interview is any indication as to how sony is developing its 1st party titles, then i'm all for it. i don't mind the long dev times w/ high production values. i'm totally patient and i'd rather have quality than quantity.

theBishop

Banned
If i were Sony i would be trying to buy indies like Ignition. Establishing a strong foundation of technology on which to start PS3 development is important at this early stage. Especially when everyone is saying Sony's lagging way behind in supporting developers.

Dahbomb

duk said:
30 million by end of 2008 :lol
That's about what the PS2 shipped in that same time frame. In fact Sony made that huge slideshow completely shitting on the competition while quoting that number.

andthebeatgoeson

So, what, the publisher gets 10-20 bucks from that? Somebody know the economics on these things? It'll take 500K at $50 profit from each game. I know Sony takes < $10. Then shipping, manufacturing. At $20 profit for each game, they'll have to sell a million to get even. Although big sellers in all three areas should be alright.

Will we see more games approach $50 million for development? Like GTA or something?

Proelite

Killzone, Wardevil, and Resistance 2. Three awesome scifi shooters that would nicely complement my copies of halo 3, gears 2, and wolfenstein. Gosh, I am in nerd heaven this generation.
Btw, willing to bet anything there won't be 30 million ps3 or 360 installed base by 2008. Wii, yes.

GhaleonEB

duk said:
30 million by end of 2008 :lol
Nice to see a target. I wonder if Sony will be as successful at hitting this target as they have been at hitting, oh, every single target they've set so far?
mashoutposse said:
Something tells me that by the end of 2008, you'll be using a different smiley...
:)

Microsoft got a steal, with Gears of War costing $10m.

WarDevil is designed to leverage not only the videogames properties of the system, but also the Blu-Ray and media rich functions of the PS3 - presenting a unique combination of both Videogame & Motion Picture into a single, unique product, which gives cinematic High Definition content (1080P) in real-time on the PS3."
Holy shit! It's like the dot-com era is back, along with all the BS-speak that came with it. I don't know what I just read, but it was hilarious. :lol

This reminds me a LOT of how Killzone was hyped from the beginning to be this astounding Halo-killer.

WarLox

Proelite said:
Killzone, Wardevil, and Resistance 2. Three awesome scifi shooters that would nicely complement my copies of halo 3, gears 2, and wolfenstein. Gosh, I am in nerd heaven this generation.
Btw, willing to bet anything there won't be 30 million ps3 or 360 installed base by 2008. Wii, yes.

but what about shipped :)

mashoutposse said:
Something tells me that by the end of 2008, you'll be using a different smiley...

To hit 30 million by the end of 2008 they're going to need to start hitting about a million a month starting oh right about now.

Just wondering, does anyone know if this Andy Whitehurst the same Andy Whitehurst that used to do CGI work with Haus Teknikka and Double Negative for TV and movies? Is Digi-Guys his company? Is Digi-Guys owned by Ignition?

Pimpwerx

forgeforsaken said:
To hit 30 million by the end of 2008 they're going to need to start hitting about a million a month starting oh right about now.
Production isn't linear. PS1 and PS2 production were up to 2M units per month at their peaks. PSP will hit that shipping total in about the same time too, I think (I know, phantom units and whatnot). Demand might be an issue, given the price and the short two year span. PEACE.

GhaleonEB

IJoel said:
Was that really the cost to MS? I thought it was more of an Epic development figure.
I though MS paid the deveopment and then MS/Epic took a split after, but I might be mistaken. Either way, I mention that figure as a comparable development cost to this title; Epic has been adamant that development costs don't need to spiral that high and Gears is a good example of that.

andthebeatgoeson

skinnyrattler said:
So, what, the publisher gets 10-20 bucks from that? Somebody know the economics on these things? It'll take 500K at $50 profit from each game. I know Sony takes < $10. Then shipping, manufacturing. At $20 profit for each game, they'll have to sell a million to get even. Although big sellers in all three areas should be alright.

Will we see more games approach $50 million for development? Like GTA or something?
Doing some digging, I found one source claiming that Publisher's make/take around 65% of the money made on these games. @ $50 a game, that's a little over $30 a game. So, they would have to sell a little over 650K to break even. Hmm.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
GhaleonEB said:
I though MS paid the deveopment and then Gears/Epic took a split after, but I might be mistaken. Either way, I mention that figure as a comparable development cost.
But epic (or would it be midway) paid for the development of unreal engine 3, the engine gears of war is based on. Correct? Or do you not add the engine development in the price.

Anyways, again who the hell is publishing this game?

element

I'm sure the $10m Gears of War comment only takes game specific work on-site at Epic into consideration, and not development of the engine or MS own employees into account.

But epic (or would it be midway) paid for the development of unreal engine 3
It would be Epic. It would be considered R&D from the profits they made from UE2 and signing with MS for Gears. Not that Epic needs the money.

duk

Banned
how much does it have to sell to break even, factoring 10 bucks to the publisher and 10 bucks to the developer?

GhaleonEB

Bad_Boy said:
But epic (or would it be midway) paid for the development of unreal engine 3, the engine gears of war is based on. Correct? Or do you not add the engine development in the price.

Anyways, again who the hell is publishing this game?
I think the engine cost is seperate, Epic just used it for this game. I recall Mark Rein commenting on the $10m figure that it's just the game, not engine cost. Epic paid for it themselves, but then they license that product out as well.

element

duk said:
how much does it have to sell to break even, factoring 10 bucks to the publisher and 10 bucks to the developer?
depends on the budget. $15m game needs to sell roughly 600k units to break even. That isn't including marketing dollars either.

so really $15m game + $5m in marketing needs to sell around 850k units to break even.

duk

Banned
element said:
depends on the budget. $15m game needs to sell roughly 600k units to break even. That isn't including marketing dollars either.

so really $15m game + $5m in marketing needs to sell around 850k units to break even.

oh boy :lol

mashoutposse

Ante Up
forgeforsaken said:

See Pimpwerx's response.

My prediction: 12m in 2007, 17-19m in 2008.

On topic, I think Sony's starting to consider some of these 1st party projects as "loss leaders" for the platform. This might be the beginning of true 'halo' games (not talking Bungie here) that may not be profitable but send strong messages to consumers about the platform as a whole, similar to how the Viper is the 'halo' car of the Dodge brand.

duk

Banned
mashoutposse said:
See Pimpwerx's response.

My prediction: 12m in 2007, 17-19m in 2008.

On topic, I think Sony's starting to consider some of these 1st party projects as "loss leaders" for the platform. This might be the beginning of true 'halo' games (not talking Bungie here) that may not be profitable but send strong messages to consumers about the platform as a whole, similar to how the Viper is the 'halo' car of the Dodge brand.

So Sony will be able to produce and ship more units than the 360 in the same time period with a worse start? That's a BFDI.

duk said:
So Sony will be able to produce and ship more units than the 360 in the same time period with a worse start? That's a BFDI.

and higher pricepoint with the multiplat games available on a cheaper platform. yes.

X26

Banned
Jeesh, that's a lot of money. Although I'd imagine a lot of what that money goes towards can be re-used later on and such to cut costs with future titles

mashoutposse

Ante Up
duk said:

Yes. SCE spent the last decade producing and shipping (significantly) more units than the competition in identical time periods, regardless of start. Although by no means guaranteed, it's a safer bet than you're willing to give it credit for.

duk

Banned
mashoutposse said:
Yes. SCE spent the last decade producing and shipping (significantly) more units than the competition in identical time periods, regardless of start. Although by no means guaranteed, it's a safer bet than you're willing to give it credit for.

That doesn't guarantee anything this time around. Did that guarantee them to meet 4m units by year end? Also you're not looking at the price point. You think PS3 will sell the same amounts as PS2 at a significanly higher price point? If anything is to go buy, 360 is proving even at 400 that is too high.

I am going to say Sony will ship 10m units by end of 07 (around same as MS).

Top Bottom