• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Exclusive WarDevil costs 10 million GBP to make ($19.7 million USD)

element said:
how does Ignition relate to Digiguys (who afaik are the ones actually making the game).

Digi-guys started as a cg house, servicing the TV & film industries, as such it wouldn't have game programmers, designers, testers etc. So they're probably handling the art direction & asset production whilst Ignition does the rest.

I'd imagine a good portion of that 19 million (USD) is from the development of their graphics engine. Which obivously, is a no shit response, but thats just saying if a developer re-uses an engine (which most due now) it should be much cheaper for lets say WarDevil 2.

Mojovonio

Banned
Man, focusing your development on PS3 tech sure is expensive. If only the amount of money spent to develop reflected how good the game would actually be.

kevm3

The engines are reusable and can even be licensed out later, so its not like each new game will require 20 million a pop.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
kevm3 said:
The engines are reusable and can even be licensed out later, so its not like each new game will require 20 million a pop.

Smartest guy in this thread after Element.

Chris_C

Bad_Boy said:
I take it Sony is the publisher?

I wouldn't be surprised, last time I talked to the guys behind Wardevil it was heavily hinted by them that was the case. Of course I could be wrong.

Based on this, I'm predicting Heavy Rain is also a PS3 exclusive, anyone who was at E3 knows the deal. Post E3 IGN interview be damned.

Also, I'm a little intoxicated right now (I spelled that right!)... did I?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Chris_C said:
I wouldn't be surprised, last time I talked to the guys behind Wardevil it was heavily hinted by them that was the case. Of course I could be wrong.

Based on this, I'm predicting Heavy Rain is also a PS3 exclusive, anyone who was at E3 knows the deal. Post E3 IGN interview be damned.

Oh shit your drunk? Tell us what exactly did the devs tell you that night?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Chris_C said:

Interesting. I wonder how both games are looking these days. The Heavy Rain Tech demo was some really impressive stuff imo.

Chris_C said:
lol, sounds like you had a good night. :p

Tieno

I really want to see the figure for Halo 3 and FF13 and GTA4. Unlike Gears of War, these games are also incredibly rich in features.

Dragmire

hyp said:
let's just hope the game turns out good. if david jaffe's neoGAF interview is any indication as to how sony is developing its 1st party titles, then i'm all for it. i don't mind the long dev times w/ high production values. i'm totally patient and i'd rather have quality than quantity.
Hmm, sounds familiar. What does this remind me of...

Melchiah said:
10$ million, excluding the development costs of Unreal Engine 3.

yeah but wasnt unreal engine 3 designed for unreal tournament 2007?

I dont think they went hey lets make GoW, oh yeah I guess we can use this engine for UT2007

unless UT2007 will have a 3.5 or something?

Andy Whitehurst said:
...presenting a unique combination of both Videogame & Motion Picture into a single, unique product...

nt12sd9.jpg

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
ZombieSupaStar said:
yeah but wasnt unreal engine 3 designed for unreal tournament 2007?

I dont think they went hey lets make GoW, oh yeah I guess we can use this engine for UT2007

unless UT2007 will have a 3.5 or something?
UE3 was designed for every game epic will make, and the people who want to licence it.
That doesnt mean you wouldnt add engine development costs into the making of the game.
For a game not using UE3 or their own engine, the price to licence an engine from someone else is still probably added into the budget. I'm not sure how you would divide that unreal engine development into the gears budget but you can bet your bottom dollar it wasnt free.

IIRC some of the first character models shown for UE3 were used in gears so I wouldnt say it was built JUST for ut2k7.

Top Bottom