• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3: Firmware 1.50 Is Up For U.S. Systems (BC Image Quality = Better)

LJ11

chespace said:
PS3 just arrived. :)

Hey, quick question... are PS3 games region-free? And can the U.S. PS3 play Japanese PS2 and PS1 games?

Use a USB keyboard to fill out your account information. Doing it with a controller is a pain in the ass.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Ah, ok. Thanks.

Looks like I'm gonna have to keep my modded PS2 around for PS1 and PS2 imports then.

Too many damn consoles!

chriskzoo

Banned
Quick question about the user icon - can you only change the user icon on the system and not your online avatar? I can't seem to figure out how to do the latter.

Avalon

Crazymoogle said:
-you have a TV with a 480p+ only input (usually labeled Y/Cb/Cr). Y/Cb/Cr is digital component (ie: 480p) and will understandably panic if given a Y/Pb/Pr (analog) signal.

I flipped through my manual... Ypbpr is 480p/720p/1080i, so I guess that's probably the case. Why do PS2 games work fine though?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
mckmas8808 said:
But have you seen the graphix??? It has the best looking graphix of any car game that's not released.

:p

you know he is working on GTHD's rival on another console. *hint hint*

chespace

neojubei said:
you know he is working on GTHD's rival on another console. *hint hint*

Motherfocking DUH. :)

Sony fanboys love to troll me about Forza. Good times.

Edit: Okay, there, is that better? :p

Avalon said:
I flipped through my manual... Ypbpr is 480p/720p/1080i, so I guess that's probably the case. Why do PS2 games work fine though?

Probably the first one, the weird issue. I know from personal experience that PS1 games play fine in component on PS2 (pre-slim)/PS3 so you likely have some weird issue you can't resolve without trying other TVs or other cables.

I mentioned the cbcr thing because older sets had exclusive "HD" component plugs which would fail any non 480p/720p/1080i signal, which I guess is not the problem if your PS2 games work fine.

Avalon

Crazymoogle said:
Probably the first one, the weird issue. I know from personal experience that PS1 games play fine in component on PS2 (pre-slim)/PS3 so you likely have some weird issue you can't resolve without trying other TVs or other cables.

I mentioned the cbcr thing because older sets had exclusive "HD" component plugs which would fail any non 480p/720p/1080i signal, which I guess is not the problem if your PS2 games work fine.

Weird. Also, the start up Playstation logo shows up, but after that the image is out of range. I don't think I would actually use component to play PS1 titles, but the whole thing really bugs me. I can't play games which emulate Ps1 titles like Megaman X collections without switching cables either. :(

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
*sees last few posts*

ac130-7.jpg

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
chespace said:
Motherfocking DUH. :)

SDF folks love to troll me about Forza. Good times.

jabs che, I am not trolling you, it was all in jest. I know you have your guard on full alert around us. Don't worry I still love you and hate hsu. what is SDF?

anyways, I downloaded the update and yea, FF12 looks better and so does ZOE2.

Avalon said:
Weird. Also, the start up Playstation logo shows up, but after that the image is out of range. I don't think I would actually use component to play PS1 titles, but the whole thing really bugs me. I can't play games which emulate Ps1 titles like Megaman X collections without switching cables either. :(

What sort of TV do you have?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
neojubei said:
jabs che, I am not trolling you, it was all in jest. I know you have your guard on full alert around us. Don't worry I still love you and hate hsu. what is SDF?

How long have you been at GAF? You don't know what SDF means? Maybe that's a good thing.

Avalon said:
Olevia 323V. Very cheap and I was using it a second monitor before I got rid of my old SD tube TV. First issue I've ran into...

It's possible, I suppose, that the 323V is incapable of handling a pre-480i resolution on component plugs. Bizarre, but if anybody is going to shortchange the circuitry it might be through there.

Avalon

Crazymoogle said:
It's possible, I suppose, that the 323V is incapable of handling a pre-480i resolution on component plugs. Bizarre, but if anybody is going to shortchange the circuitry it might be through there.

Makes sense. Everything besides pre-480i work just fine. Thanks for the assistance.

JB1981

anddo0 said:
here are some SoTC/ZoE2 pics I took

not the best quality (480p over HDMI)

sotc0115je.jpg

sotc20112ko.jpg

Is that an XBR 2?

pics look about as good as anyone should ever expect a PS2 game to look, especially on an HD set. Try 480i over component (if you can). Witness the beauty.

theBishop

Banned
JB1981 said:
Is that an XBR 2?

pics look about as good as anyone should ever expect a PS2 game to look, especially on an HD set. Try 480i over component (if you can). Witness the beauty.

why would you do that when Sotc supports 480p?

chespace

Yup, gorgeous game. It would be awesome if PS3 could fix SotC's framerate too.

I still need to finish SotC. :)

chespace said:

Yeah, I tried it out today and the framerate was so jarring, I don't remember it being that bad. That game deserved much better graphics, you can feel it busting out of the PS2's capabilities. But its still a beautiful game.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
chespace said:

You haven't seen the ending?

Put down whatever you're doing and beat it!

JB1981

f@luS said:
maybe through component over hdmi , but 480p component will be better than 480i..

um what?

set your ps3 to 480i, run it through component. Sotc looks BETTER in interlaced mode on my TV now. I have no idea why. Progressive just softens the image. The only 480p game I own that actually looks better in progressive scan is God of War. Everything else looks better in interlaced mode. And by 'better'. I mean better than I've ever seen the games look (sotc in particular).

Dot50Cal

Banned
So according to some gafers..

PS3 magically adds draw distance in PS2 games

PS3 magically improves framerate in PS2 games

480i over component looks better than 480p through HDMI (BRIGHTER MEANS BETTER AMIRITE GUYS?)

I'd say that speaks volumes as to the kind of information your getting. I just tested this OMFGBBQ 480i component maeks teh gaems lukk liek upscaaaalled!@111111 and all I see is a brightness increase between the two. Take what you hear with a grain of salt. I'm willing to wager based on most of the comments in this thread that 99% of GAF knows jack all when it comes to scaling let alone how games run.

Stop buying Walmart tv's and basing your experiences on them as fact.

Avalon

Dot50Cal said:

480i over component looks better than 480p through HDMI (BRIGHTER MEANS BETTER AMIRITE GUYS?)

What the hell are you talking about?

No one said PS3 improves draw distance for PS2 games, someone merely asked if it was possible.

No one said PS3 improves framerates, simply moments when the disc speed in PS2 games causes slowdowns are gone now.

Some games simply look better in 480i and many people reported 480p over HDMI "softening" is their games.

Dot50Cal said:

I'd say that speaks volumes as to the kind of information your getting. I just tested this OMFGBBQ 480i component maeks teh gaems lukk liek upscaaaalled!@111111 and all I see is a brightness increase between the two. Take what you hear with a grain of salt. I'm willing to wager based on most of the comments in this thread that 99% of GAF knows jack all when it comes to scaling let alone how games run.

wow...harsh

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Dot50Cal said:

24612660.JPG

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Dotcal, it really isn't as severe as you seem to think. Yes, it isn't on par with a normal PS2, but it's close enough that most people should be fine. As a bonus, a lot of TVs actually handle 480p much better than 480i so those folks may be seeing improvements.

As for me, my Pioneer does a better job with the original 480i material from PS2...but the PS3 performs better than expected. You make it sound as if the BC mode is broken and that's just not true.

YAY! Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution is now okay. It was the most noticeable screwed up one in my library for the pre 1.5 BC.

Now after 1.5, it's fine

coolio

JB1981

Dot50Cal said:
It happens in 480i over component as well.

It doesn't at all, though. What TV are you using? I'm using an ISF calibrated XBR 960. I also never said anything about improved draw distance or framerate, so you can take your troll bait someplace else.

JB1981

I just bought used copies of Killzone and Mercenaries (never played either before). It looks like Guerilla attempted a lot of pretty interesting things with Killzone but the hardware betrayed them. For a PS2 title, I'm surprised the game looks as good as it does. I only played the the first levels but I definitely understand why this game is so criticized.

teiresias

JB1981, is your TV an LCD, CRT? I'm trying to figure out why it would make any difference to pass the 480i over component versus over HDMI to a TV that supports both.

Dot50Cal

Banned
JB1981 said:
It doesn't at all, though. What TV are you using? I'm using an ISF calibrated XBR 960. I also never said anything about improved draw distance or framerate, so you can take your troll bait someplace else.

46" XBR3 , my component video capture card also dis-agrees with you. The image is still blurry in 480i. I posted shots up here a few hours back but a gang of idiots attacked it for no reason. Ill agree that setting it to 480i lessens the blurring compared to the PS3 running non naitve 480p games in 480p but its still there compared to vanilla ps2 480i via component.

JB1981

Dot50Cal said:
46" XBR3 , my component video capture card also dis-agrees with you. The image is still blurry in 480i. I posted shots up here a few hours back but a gang of idiots attacked it for no reason. Ill agree that setting it to 480i lessens the blurring compared to the PS3 running non naitve 480p games in 480p but its still there compared to vanilla ps2 480i via component.

Well, your video capture card is capturing images from a different TV altogether, so if I disagree with your video capture, then I'm sorry. I hope it's not mad at me. Whatever this "it" is, it's just not there on my TV. The only thing I'm seeing is an improved image. But that's because I have a cheap ass Wal-Mart TV and like to exaggerate my impressions because I'm a blind fanboy.

Dot50Cal

Banned
JB1981 said:
Well, your video capture card is capturing images from a different TV altogether, so if I disagree with your video capture, then I'm sorry. I hope it's not mad at me. Whatever this "it" is, it's just not there on my TV. The only thing I'm seeing is an improved image. But that's because I have a cheap ass Wal-Mart TV and like to exaggerate my impressions because I'm a blind fanboy.

What? The capture card is capturing directly from the PS3 and PS2, IE:

snb132123vl.jpg

Top Bottom