• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3: Firmware 1.50 Is Up For U.S. Systems (BC Image Quality = Better)

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
A direct link to the SF3 pic showing the interlace/comb effect:

http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs411&d=07044&f=MAKOTOvsYUNinterlace.JPG

You see it especially during parries.

xs.php

Banned
Well I've not got a PS3 yet (should be turning up today hopefully) but I've got quite a few PS2 games I want to play, and I know that my TV will do a good job de-interlacing them - that looks pretty nasty.

How easy is it to switch between Component and HDMI? Can you just leave both leads connected and pick one via the menus, or do you have to keep swapping them over? (too much hassle in my setup)

Hopefully a future update will give you the option of running PS2 games in 480i via HDMI if that's what you want.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
So, as of right now, us shiny bit HDMI users = "screwed"?

Woo.

Then again there's varying reports, and I won't test anything until I find a darn PS3 memory card reader.

*sigh*

Well, I need a summary of this thread because I'm lost as to what is real and what is memorex.

Are you guys saying I might as well keep using my HDTVXploder disk for 480i only games?

JB1981

MidgarBlowedUp said:
Well, I need a summary of this thread because I'm lost as to what is real and what is memorex.

Are you guys saying I might as well keep using my HDTVXploder disk for 480i only games?

Absolutely not. Especially if you're using component.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
So uh, I'm trying to create an account for the PlayStation store, and uh, it's down?

Can't seem to get past the screen after I put in my birthday.

And for the record, I can access the web browser and watch n0rp and stuff on the intarwebz.

Kind of disappointing for the evening... all the good stuff is locked away in the Playstation Store (want my F1 fix).

Edit: Okay, got into the store, but still can't get the PSN store to recognize my billing info. :p Anyway, downloading GTHD and then F1...

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
JB1981 said:
Absolutely not. Especially if you're using component.
So does the new update allow PS3 to upscale BC games? This is one of the things keeping me on the fence from picking up a PS3. I'd really like to know if it cleans the image up as nice as Xbox 360 does when upscaling games.

Xbox 360 doesn't upscale Xbox games, it emulates them and runs them in native 720p. Upscaling is different and no where near as good as what you're thinking of (It takes an SD image and blows it up to HD resolutions, making all the flaws in the image much more apparant)

Oh and the PS3 doesn't run PS2 or PS1 games in HD, it does upscale them to 480p through HDMI though (Though this doesn't really improve the picture quality, it's done because HDMI can't carry a 480i image)

chespace said:
Edit: Okay, got into the store, but still can't get the PSN store to recognize my billing info. :p Anyway, downloading GTHD and then F1...

Interested to hear your impressions of GTHD and no not because of who you work for. :)

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Nuclear Muffin said:
Xbox 360 doesn't upscale Xbox games, it emulates them and runs them in native 720p. Upscaling is different and no where near as good as what you're thinking of (It takes an SD image and blows it up to HD resolutions, making all the flaws in the image much more apparant)

Oh and the PS3 doesn't run PS2 or PS1 games in HD, it does upscale them to 480p through HDMI though (Though this doesn't really improve the picture quality, it's done because HDMI can't carry a 480i image)

Thats what I thought too, but apparently the X360 just upscales them with ANA, they're not rendered at higher res to begin with.

SnakeXs said:
So, as of right now, us shiny bit HDMI users = "screwed"?

Woo.

Then again there's varying reports, and I won't test anything until I find a darn PS3 memory card reader.

*sigh*

I'm using HDMI/DVI and it looks exactly like component. I prefer the forced 480p...it does cause interlacing/combing artifacts, but it's also a sharper, crisper image.

So much for the old "PS3 delinterlaces 480i much better than your television". Yeah, right.

They just need to add 480i over HDMI as an option. I have a $149.99 Oppo DVD/DVD-A/SACD upscaling player that can do this, so the PS3 should be able to do the same.

LJ11

Nuclear Muffin said:

How can you run something in native 720p, when the source isn't native 720p native?

HDMI carries 480i signals.

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Where do you come up with this stuff?

From earlier in the thread.

Bebpo said:
It's not going to change unless they add upscaling. The "softer" (or what some refer to as "blurry") is just the deinterlacing of taking a 480i image and making it 480p. With fixed pixel displays like LCD, all this means is that the PS3 is de-interlacing instead of sending the 480i to your TV and letting the TV deinterlace from 480-480p (and we've been going on forever regarding the PS3 scaling issues that TVs are far worse at deinterlacing than the PS3). The only way they could make it "sharper" for the small percentage of people using non-fixed pixel displays is to add a display output option under "display" for 480i.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
beermonkey@tehbias said:
From earlier in the thread.

PS3 doesn't deinterlace at all. It forces the interlaced field out as a frame but doesn't do anything to it.

That's why you see the comb effect.

On the upside, this eliminates lag and makes the image much sharper than it would if it were de-interlaced.

Fatghost said:
PS3 doesn't deinterlace at all. It forces the interlaced field out as a frame but doesn't do anything to it.

That's why you see the comb effect.

On the upside, this eliminates lag and makes the image much sharper than it would if it were de-interlaced.

fubarduck (AVS forum gaming lag guy) disagrees on the lag.

But regardless, the fact that they aren't doing anything but doubling each scanline makes it all the more logical for them to simply include a 480i over HDMI option. If they can do it with firmware, they really should offer it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So much for the old "PS3 delinterlaces 480i much better than your television".
I assume you've tried it too, huh.

Seeing as I own both US and Japanese copies of MGS2, I managed to make a direct comparison between the PS2 and the PS3 running PS2 games. The PS3 does a better job than I expected, actually. I compared a whole slew of areas throughout the ship and was quite impressed. I'd go so far as to say that, in many cases, the PS3 should outperform the scaler in your average TV.

Of course, the quality seems to vary per game (depending on the display mode).

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
beermonkey@tehbias said:
fubarduck (AVS forum gaming lag guy) disagrees on the lag.

But regardless, the fact that they aren't doing anything but doubling each scanline makes it all the more logical for them to simply include a 480i over HDMI option. If they can do it with firmware, they really should offer it.

I don't think they're even doubling the scan lines. Each frame, even though it's progressive, is still displaying as interlaced. Look at this pic

MAKOTOvsYUNinterlace.JPG.xs.jpg

You might have to enlarge it, but look at Yun. I took this pic as I activated his genei-jin. You see how the blue overlay looks interlaced? There's no line doubling or any kind of filler/filter being applied to cover it up. That's what's causing the comb effects.

dark10x

Two tests I'll have to try...

The stormy stage in Tekken Tag: flashes wreak havoc with most scalers
The rainy ship in Orphen (holy crap, what a terrible game): same deal as a above but a tad more severe.

These were not problems when I allow my TV to scale, but I've seen them occur on most other HDTVs. I'm sure the PS3 will exhibit those problems as well. Flashing light is always a torture test (for obvious reasons).

Fatghost said:
I don't think they're even doubling the scan lines. Each frame, even though it's progressive, is still displaying as interlaced. Look at this pic

That's pretty strange. I didn't try a 2D game...that's quite a pronounced effect. I see what you mean.

f@luS

More than a member.
So whats better

Component playing 480i for all games
Component playing 480p when game has 480p mode and 480i for others
HDMI 480p

?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
f@luS said:
So whats better

Component playing 480i for all games
Component playing 480p when game has 480p mode and 480i for others
HDMI 480p

?
Unfortunately, I don't think the issue is as simple as that, since it may depend on the model of your TV as well. The scaler in my TV, for example, makes the output indistinguishable between 480i and 480p on a lot of PS2 games that support both. Same holds true for BC when forcing the PS3 to display 480i vs. 480p.

f@luS

More than a member.
well i see the difference between 480i & p , a lot....
Ill stick with component and 480p if available , and HDMI for my ps3 games

switching through the ps3 os take me 10sec so i dont care and i can connect both at the same time since its a different output

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
kaching said:
Unfortunately, I don't think the issue is as simple as that, since it may depend on the model of your TV as well. The scaler in my TV, for example, makes the output indistinguishable between 480i and 480p on a lot of PS2 games that support both. Same holds true for BC when forcing the PS3 to display 480i vs. 480p.

The scaler in my tv makes 480p via HDMI the best looking option of all, whether it's PS3 with different cables/enabled resolutions or PS2.

Of course I don't mind tolerating the new comb problem in return for enhanced clarity and crispness in the image.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Bearillusion said:
Interested to hear your impressions of GTHD and no not because of who you work for. :)

Only had time to play F1 last night before I crashed.

I'll post all my impressions in their appropriate threads later.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Nuclear Muffin said:

Should be interesting to see whether PS3 starts running PS2 games in HD once it switches over to software emulation rather than hardware emulation for BC (I assume this is still on the way?)

M3Freak

Banned
Although GTA:SA seems not only have that wierd comb effect (I can live with it), the deal breaker is the performance: the game actually appears to be running slower. I think the faster spinning drive is messing it up. Can anyone confirm this? I hope I'm not going crazy.

Anyway, I just wanted to add that the PS2 games with a progressive scan option I've tried (before the 1.5 update) have so far looked just fine. I'm going to try them again tonight - I'm hoping nothing has changed.

I'm anxious to test out more of my 480i PS2 library.

Raistlin

fubarduck said:
Agreed. As in iScan owner, I'd much rather have THAT do the deinterlacing over HDMI than the PS3 itself. Not to mention, I can still feel lag when the PS3 outputs 480p (which was there both before and after 1.5).

I'll try to test it later today with Guitar Hero II to see just how bad it is. Anyone that has this game and a PS3 over HDMI, feel free to test it and share your results! Note that you don't need the Guitar controller to do the test, you can just use the PS3 controller and strum with up/down on the d-pad.

Which version of the iScan are you using?

The PS3's de-interlacing is obviously a variation of a 'game mode'. If your version of the iScan doesn't have it (and I believe only the newest one has game modes), you may end up with some lag issues.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
SanjuroTsubaki said:
I just tried Transformers and SoTC both look much better.

Wasn't SoTC one of the games that was hit the most (when it came to the BC image quality)?

If so, thats a real good gauge as to how much has been fixed.

fubarduck

Fatghost said:

MAKOTOvsYUNinterlace.JPG.xs.jpg

You might have to enlarge it, but look at Yun. I took this pic as I activated his genei-jin. You see how the blue overlay looks interlaced? There's no line doubling or any kind of filler/filter being applied to cover it up. That's what's causing the comb effects.

If the image were actually being displayed as interlaced, there would be no combing effect like the one on Yun's Genei-Jin; the entire screen would look like that. The Genei-Jin and Parry effects are the result of combing caused by poor deinterlacing. SF3: 3rd Strike is one of the hardest games to deinterlace because of the extremely quick and flashy effects; just try to play it with a PS2 on pretty much any HDTV and you'll see the same issues.

When I run the game on a PS2 through my iScan VP50, there are no effects like that. Genei-Jin and parrying both look completely normal. Along with the XRGBs, the iScan is the only box I have seen that is able to properly (and quickly) deinterlace all fighting games.

Edit: I thought I'd add a more technical explanation so you can understand that the PS3 is infact performing deinterlacing.

3rd Strike runs at 60FPS. Genei-Jin literally means "illusion stance" in English, so the effect is made to look like Yun has a ghost behind him. To do that, the blue shadow is displayed on or behind Yun on every other frame. That's why sometimes on match videos (on Youtube or whereever) you will see a Yun using Genei-Jin but without the blue shadow; sometimes you'll even see only the blue shadow. That's because the cameras are capturing at a lower framerate, so they coincidentally skip the frames necessary to see the Genei-Jin's shadow.

So, on to the PS3. The only possible way that the combing artifact on Yun's shadow could be produced is if it is buffering at least 2 frames in advance before displaying the image. What's happening is the PS3 is deinterlacing by waiting for 2 frames from the game, then combining them to make a single field which is then displayed. This is a poor way to perform deinterlacing because whenever you have flashy effects that alternate frames, you'll have combing like with an activated Genei-Jin or parrying--not to mention input lag, and as you know 2 frames is a huge difference for games like 3rd Strike.

Superior deinterlacing algorithms for gaming, such as the ones found on the XRGB2/3 and iScan VPxx instead use a predictive algorithm so that it can display a field while still on the same frame. These algorithms do not buffer frames like most HDTVs and the PS3 do. That's why the PS3 should allow us to display 480i over HDMI (which is totally possible, to whoever said it wasn't up there). Alternately, Sony could implement a better deinterlacing algorithm in a future firmware update, but that would take actual work.

/end edit

Onix said:
Which version of the iScan are you using?

The PS3's de-interlacing is obviously a variation of a 'game mode'. If your version of the iScan doesn't have it (and I believe only the newest one has game modes), you may end up with some lag issues.
I use an iScan VP50, but it doesn't really matter--I can hook the PS3 up straight to the HDMI port on my HDTV and get the exact same results. Same awful combing artifacts in 3rd Strike, and the same lag while the PS3 deinterlaces a 480i-only game to 480p (my display can process a 480p signal with under 8ms lag, I've tested it).

The way you can test this is with Guitar Hero II. First, enable progressive scan for the game under video options, then do the test a few times and try to find the average number you're getting. Next, uncheck the progressive scan option (PS3 will now be using its deinterlacing, so the signal will still be the same, 480p) and do the test again--it should be higher.

dark10x

BlueTsunami said:
Wasn't SoTC one of the games that was hit the most (when it came to the BC image quality)?

If so, thats a real good gauge as to how much has been fixed.
Why would it be? Games which support 480p were never a problem (provided you were running in 480p mode). It should loo no different.

jjasper

Hey I wanted to ask (and since this seems to be the best place to as it has kinda turned into a PS2 on PS3 thread) how does Gradius V run on the PS3, I have been meaning to play it and thought about picking it up for myself for my bday next week.

suikodan

jjasper said:
Hey I wanted to ask (and since this seems to be the best place to as it has kinda turned into a PS2 on PS3 thread) how does Gradius V run on the PS3, I have been meaning to play it and thought about picking it up for myself for my bday next week.

I can try it tonight.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
dark10x said:
Why would it be? Games which support 480p were never a problem (provided you were running in 480p mode). It should loo no different.

I thought SoTC was a jaggy mess before this fix? If not, I was mistaken.

Yama

dark10x said:
I kind of assumed that was the case as well, can anyone clarify if they were still affected?

fubarduck

Ragnarok10 said:
Ok, so what's the overall dealio here? Is 480i fixed, faked, or broken?

Fixed over Composite and S-Video.

Fixed over Component if you disable "480p" under video options.

Better over HDMI, but still has combing artifacts and ~40ms input lag due to bad deinterlacing.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Dah, wait. 480i games are broken if you set them to 480i, no? Like I'm playing KH2 (I'm guessing in 480p now) and it's fine...no lag. Maybe a bit softer image, but no lag or any of those other nasty complaints.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Oh for crying out loud! BC is fixed just over 3 weeks after I get a PStwo? >_<

Well its still good news~ so you people better enjoy it!!

fubarduck

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Dah, wait. 480i games are broken if you set them to 480i, no? Like I'm playing KH2 (I'm guessing in 480p now) and it's fine...no lag. Maybe a bit softer image, but no lag or any of those other nasty complaints.

If you're using Component or HDMI, and "480p" is checked under video options, then the PS3 is forcing KH2 to 480p.

Image-wise, the game might be fine if there are no effects that suffer from the PS3's deinterlacing, but there is a lag that you probably do not notice. 2 frames is insignificant if you are playing RPGs; the only time it will matter is when you're playing games with frame-sensitive timing such as fighting and rhythm games.

TTP said:
man you guys are like Borgs
40ms is a lot if you play Street Fighter, trust me.

Yama

Did anyone else try entering a 480p enabled title already in the mode? I toggled the in-game progressive scan option in SOTC on and off while in 480p. The scan was nearly non-existant, being that I was already in the mode, but I did notice a slight difference. The in-game 480p seemed a bit sharper than the PS3's forced signal. Any ideas?

All in all I can concur with the majority, with the in-game factor in the middle from my tests: 480i > 480p (in-game) > 480p

Would like someone else to try it as well. And I'm on a Sony 32" CRT over component.

suikodan

I tried two games on 480i over component.

Gradius V - It did look good, as if a normal PS2 was used.

SoTC - I switch to ProScan and said Wow... I have some pictures (blurry because of no flash and the moving stuff).

I am definitely finishing SotC in the very near future. FAQ or not, I don't care, it's so beautiful!

Yama said:
Did anyone else try entering a 480p enabled title already in the mode? I toggled the in-game progressive scan option in SOTC on and off while in 480p. The scan was nearly non-existant, being that I was already in the mode, but I did notice a slight difference. The in-game 480p seemed a bit sharper than the PS3's forced signal. Any ideas?

All in all I can concur with the majority, with the in-game factor in the middle from my tests: 480i > 480p (in-game) > 480p

Would like someone else to try it as well. And I'm on a Sony 32" CRT over component.

I'll try it out, I only played SotC on pro mode, I will switch it on and off to see if I see a difference. i will do the same with GoW, maybe Ratchet.

BTW how's RE4?

Top Bottom