• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 is the best worldwide selling console of 2011 [Update: Undershipped 360 by 800k]

-GOUKI-

Update:

In what is probably not a very surprising result, it is also the most shipped console of 2011.

Parmenides said:
Code:
Hardware Sales (Unit:Million)

(Ja-Mr)11   (Ap-Jn)11    (Jl-Sp)11    (Oc-Dc)11    YTD       LTD

PS3      2.1        1.8          3.7           -         7.6       55.5 

360      2.7        1.7          2.3           -         6.7       57.6

Wii      1.36       1.56         1.79          -         4.71      89.36

PS2      1.2        1.4          1.2           -         3.8      ~153.0

3DS      3.61       0.71         2.36          -         6.68      6.68

PSP      1.7        1.8          1.7           -         5.2      ~73.0

NDS      1.82       1.44         1.14          -         4.4       149.0

Original:

http://www.shoptonews.net/2011/10/28/ps3-is-top-selling-console-in-2011-worldwide/

Nintendo has released some very interesting information in its Semi-Annual Financial Results Briefing regarding Worldwide software and hardware sales for all three consoles.

According to the estimated figures released by Nintendo, Sony’s PlayStation 3 is the top selling console in the World, with NeoGaf translating the figures on the graphs provided as follows:

(Estimated figures)

2011 YTD HARDWARE SALES

TOTAL US EU JP
PS3 6.3 2.42 2.79 1.11
NDS 5.5 2.67 2.26 0.60
360 5.5 3.45 1.98 0.09
3DS 5.0 1.42 1.48 2.15
WII 4.9 2.36 2.01 0.55
PSP 3.9 0.85 1.40 1.60

- US: NPD, Jan to Sep.
- JP: Media Create, Week 1 to Week 42.
- EU: Nintendo, Week 1 to Week 41.
Interestingly this puts PS3 at almost 1 million units ahead of the Xbox 360, which would seem accurate considering that PS3 consistently outsells the Xbox 360 in both Europe and Japan, while the Xbox 360 generally outperforms PS3 in both the U.S and UK.

On the software side there is some very interesting information; for instance in Europe, Killzone 3 on the PlayStation 3 has outsold the Xbox 360 version of Rockstar’s L.A Noire. While the PS3 version of FIFA 12 is clearly the most popular, going as far as topping the European charts for the period of January – September. Interestingly even Call of Duty Black Ops is performing better on PS3, which is something which we would not have expected.

PS3 franchises such as Gran Turismo 5 and Killzone 3 seems to be performing well, while Epic’s Gears of War 3 also seems to have got off to a strong start.

Software for Wii and DS is still going strong in Europe, with eight titles being represented in the top ten.

228px-Kaz.jpg

Mikey Jr.

I'm surprised.

But then I remember that NA isn't the only country in the world. I constantly use the NPD as a barometer for how well the consoles are doing.

Plus aren't developing countries big playstation guys? Sony has a whole other market they can tap into once they can get the PS3 into the 99 dollar range, right?

DonMigs85 said:
I wonder how many were replacements for YLOD units

1%?

Mrbob

Remember this from a long, long time ago? Could have sold over 50 million plus worldwide with the Batarang controller.

141sho9.jpg

Tuck

PS3 made a very nice comeback. Good job on Sony. If only they has started the generation like that.

Mikey Jr.

Akkad said:
Good for Sony, the only console maker that really deserves it.

I'm a big PS guy, so yeah, love that Sony is doing well. They do some stuff wrong, but they do a lot more right.

Dont Europeans have on average a better internet connection than the US? You would think they would rather play COD on XBL than PSN.

Mikey Jr.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
At least they learned some valuable lessons.

Ohh yeah, for sure. Online infrastructure and the system interface was terrible in the beginning. No ingame XMB. Stores was terrible. No background downloading which was lol worthy. Patched in trophies later, etc.

Yeah, it was a rough start. Xbox 360 started in much better position.

But those were growing pains and I am really excited for PS4.

Blu-ray's are cheaper now and are much faster, and Sony has had some good experience in the online space. They learned some hard lessons, (599), so yeah, excited for PS4.

Akkad

Banned
crimzonflame said:
Dont Europeans have on average a better internet connection than the US? You would think they would rather play COD on XBL than PSN.

But they own more PS3s than 360s. Did you even read your question before asking?

Boney

Banned
this is pretty obvious to me that Sony did the right choice with the PS3. Sure Wii sold like crazy for 2 years but nobody bought games for it and everybody stashed them in their pockets, no one is gonna buy a nintendo console again as you can see with 3ds.

PSTriple on the other hand, has been gaining momentum every year, has become the #1 console already, they got the best exclusives, free online and a reliable hardware and know that it's important to be succesful on the whole world that's why they are succesful in the whole world. Sony are truly the kings of videogames and that's not something that you can just moneyhat.

Ricky_R said:
Only Sony had the strength to start so bad and end this well. All things considered.
In what sense? I'm not a. Fan boy of anything (own all 3) but all three of these companies have proven they are willing to play A losing hand to stay in the game.

Mikey Jr.

crimzonflame said:

What does better internet have anything to do with PSN or Live?

Top Bottom