• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 is the best worldwide selling console of 2011 [Update: Undershipped 360 by 800k]

Back in October it seemed the PS3 was the best-selling console of 2011. Now people are disputing this because the 360 had great NPD numbers in November/December and these people also think there is only one continent on Earth.

Now there are actual estimates from Nintendo saying that the 360 was the best selling console of 2011.

This thread is ancient in any case.

DarkMehm

Don't want to spoil the party, but Nintendos figures are not even close to being "worldwide". A big chunk of Europe, only US in the whole of Americas and only Japan in the Asian area. Sony has a lot more markets where they sell their systems in comparison to MS or Nintendo. PS3 most likely has a comfortable lead in 2011.

bakedpony

That's right. A lot of people think the only places in the world that buys games are North America, Europe and Japan. Japan is not even half of the gaming consumers in Asia. I would even argue that Asia as a whole is almost as big or even bigger than Europe and/or the USA.

Sony clearly dominates over MS in Asia, not just Japan.

That's right. A lot of people think the only places in the world that buys games are North America, Europe and Japan. Japan is not even half of the gaming consumers in Asia. I would even argue that Asia as a whole is almost as big or even bigger than Europe and/or the USA.

Sony clearly dominates over MS in Asia, not just Japan.

You are talking about consoles or PC as well? I can't see the Asian console market being bigger than Japan, but PC games yeah.

bakedpony

You are talking about consoles or PC as well? I can't see the Asian console market being bigger than Japan, but PC games yeah.

I do believe the Asian console market excluding Japan, is bigger than that of Japan alone. You got Korea and China for starters. Don't forget the smaller countries who are just starting to get on the current gen hardware (countries in SE Asia for instance like Malaysia, Philippines. etc...)

I do believe the Asian console market excluding Japan, is bigger than that of Japan alone. You got Korea and China for starters. Don't forget the smaller countries who are just starting to get on the current gen hardware (countries in SE Asia for instance like Malaysia, Philippines. etc...)

Umm, consoles are supposedly banned in China. Sure there may be a lot of black market pirated N64's but are there really a lot of PS3's and 360's? Not above board. And who's to say 360 isn't selling better in Taiwan, or South Korea? I have no idea.

You're also discounting places 360 may well dominate like Canada (could be as much as 10% of USA's sales) and Mexico. Maybe even South America.

Usually major publishers like EA divide their software sales (in financial reports) as "Americas" or North America, Europe, Japan, and "other" (sometimes other may include Japan). Other would be pretty much everything else obviously. "Other" is usually a miniscule percent of their sales. So if all these massive console sales are going on outside the major regions, nobody buys any games for them? I guess you could then claim piracy, but I'd be skeptical since until recently that wasn't an option on PS3.

Everything I've seen points to the vast vast majority of video game sales occurring in North America/Japan/Europe.

We also have the companies shipped numbers, which will account for every last nook and cranny they ship to worldwide. Although they aren't 1:1 with end user sales. So, if Sony ends up shipping less than MS in 2011, and it's a good possibility, you should then pretty much be forced to admit they were outsold worldwide. Given Road's latest figures, it should be very close, which jives with what I've been expecting. Wouldn't even be surprised if Ps3 wins by 1 or 2 hundred k, but it'll be close. Bottom line if Sony ships 7.5m PS3's or more for Oct-Dec, they'll win the WW ship battle (because 360 shipped 8.2 and was 800k behind going in). We'll find out next week.

I would say the bottom line here is pointing to areas we dont have numbers for and claiming X console won just isn't really a legitimate argument.

Geez of course I meant in terms of the gaming populace. I don't think anyone's dumb enough not to know that Asia is the largest continent in the world.

Uhh, I know what you meant and it's horribly wrong, hence my comment about the earth being flat(it's not by the way)

I don't, since both Korea and China are PCcentric, MMOs and the like. As far as I know consoles aren't even officially distributed in mainland China and SE Asian countries would account for about 1% of the market. Not sure where you get the impression the Asian console market is huge.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Thanks, was just about to post.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/120127/index.html

Code:
2011 Hardware Sales

TOTAL    US      EU    JP

3DS       11.8    4.1    3.5    4.3
360       11.0    7.3    3.7    0.1
PS3       11.0    4.5    4.9    1.5
WII        9.5    4.5    4.0    0.9
NDS        7.5    3.8    3.0    0.7