• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 is the best worldwide selling console of 2011 [Update: Undershipped 360 by 800k]

hirokazu said:
No, because this isn't a big deal worthy of mention outside their financial reports. It's only interesting to people interested in sales-age because it brings some numbers we're missing.

The thread title brought out some defence forces from both sides into action, that's all.

I'm not saying anything and definitely not calling anyone out, but this still made me chuckle.

yupku23.png

KageMaru

I'm happy Sony is outselling MS since Mattrick felt the need to boast about selling the most WW at E3. Still shake my head that they could get so cocky without dropping the price in 3 years.

Though I'm still also SMH at some of the comments in this thread, some of you people need to grow up or quit investing so much into a company that cares little for you.

KageMaru said:
I'm happy Sony is outselling MS since Mattrick felt the need to boast about selling the most WW at E3. Still shake my head that they could get so cocky without dropping the price in 3 years.

Though I'm still also SMH at some of the comments in this thread, some of you people need to grow up or quit investing so much into a company that cares little for you.

I think selling incredibly well without dropping the price is more brag-worthy than selling with a price drop.

And I really like the relay race ideology. That is some crazy (bordering insane) spin right there.

mujun

Melfice7 said:
And gave the fans a ton of amazing new games, whats more important to you?

Why is it so hard to realize this is a sales thread? What does that have to do with anything?

Just for you, I'll go OT.

opinion
PS3 is the better value console, has the better exclusives (retail), free online, is more reliable, is a better package for the price, etc. I'd recommend it pretty much every time to someone looking for a HD console.
/opinion

facts
That being said, Sony has done some good this gen in terms of sales, like the achievement mentioned in the thread title, comeback after a shocking start, etc.

They've also done some bad, lost marketshare, came out at a ridiculous price, etc.
/facts

Don't take people stating facts as some sort of personal attack, makes you look like you have too much personal investment (might not be the case but it sure looks like it).

Edit : for Mohonky ;)

Mohonky

mujun said:
Why is it so hard to realize this is a sales thread? What does that have to do with anything?

Just for you, I'll go OT.

PS3 is the better value console, has the better exclusives (retail), free online, is more reliable, is a better package for the price, etc. I'd recommend it pretty much every time to someone looking for a HD console.

That being said, Sony has done some good this gen in terms of sales, like the achievement mentioned in the thread title, comeback after a shocking start, etc.

They've also done some bad, lost marketshare, came out at a ridiculous price, etc.

Don't take people stating facts as some sort of personal attack, makes you look like you have too much personal investment (might not be the case but it sure looks like it).

1264887247768__large.jpg

KageMaru

flyinpiranha said:
I think selling incredibly well without dropping the price is more brag-worthy than selling with a price drop.

And I really like the relay race ideology. That is some crazy (bordering insane) spin right there.

Don't know about "incredibly well" but the 360 is certainly selling well. I just have an issue with companies making hyperbolic claims and not living up to them. It was a bit premature for MS to claim they'll outsell their competitors WW this year and now it's not turning out the way they planned.

LosDaddie

Banned
Not surprising, at all. The X360 sold more in NA, but it wasn't by much and the PS3 was still up YoY. I'd have been surprised if the PS3 had not sold more WW, to be honest.

Also, lovely thread. :lol Great read. Feels like I'm reading System Wars again. I like how the pent up aggression from the NPD threads have spilled over to here.

i'd like to see the numbers (if even possible) of how much the average gamer this gen is spending each year on software and accessories (sans the fees of online services, but not the games) versus last gen.

even though there aren't as many console units (each) sold as last gen this far into the game i'd imagine each person has spent a lot more than they did last gen- even after adjusting for inflation.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wish they'd include the rest of Asia, Africa, Australia, and South America in these reports so we could know how much consoles were really sold/shipped worldwide.

KageMaru said:
Don't know about "incredibly well" but the 360 is certainly selling well. I just have an issue with companies making hyperbolic claims and not living up to them. It was a bit premature for MS to claim they'll outsell their competitors WW this year and now it's not turning out the way they planned.

Considering that it isn't a real next gen system and is only the Xbox 1.5, they haven't done too shabby.

hirokazu

spwolf said:
of course it is big deal worthy, and of course they mention it.
Except they never mentioned it. :p Like I said, they'll probably only mention the sales in the financial earnings and that.

spwolf said:
most recently we have had Sony AU PR which mentions how they are best selling by volume and revenue (in their own territory).
Yeah, I commented on that in the original thread about this topic. I don't understand why they never gave actual numbers instead of percentage increase here, and percentage more units there. It's impossible to actually get anything concrete in terms of sales numbers out of that article.

hirokazu

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
I'm not saying anything and definitely not calling anyone out, but this still made me chuckle.

yupku23.png
Sure, but I haven't been defence forcing any one side, so... :p

I didn't realise I've actually posted so much in here. -_-"

Strike

That's great (especially considering that it's still being sold in its 5th year above $199), but this gen is almost over. Everything was all but settled years ago. 3rd parties aren't really going anywhere so now it's just bragging rights.

Majine

Banned
I think if this generation has taught us anything, It's that counting just flat hardware sales is only part of the truth. In terms of digital games, Microsoft is probably far ahead, PS3 2nd, and Nintendo's half-assed attempt is dead last.

sleeping_dragon said:
i think they are talking about financial year, correct me if im wrong though.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I'd be surprised if that were true considering how Q4 2011 looked.

Zen

Banned
REMEMBER CITADEL said:

yupku23.png

Keep fighting the good fight, usual suspects. :riplolemote:

spwolf

hirokazu said:
Except they never mentioned it. :p Like I said, they'll probably only mention the sales in the financial earnings and that.

Yeah, I commented on that in the original thread about this topic. I don't understand why they never gave actual numbers instead of percentage increase here, and percentage more units there. It's impossible to actually get anything concrete in terms of sales numbers out of that article.

they certainly mention it - but each Sony territory mentions their own stats, you dont get Sony WW issuing PR's. They might not say actual numbers, but they will issue PR's all around when they are first. Of course, it is really important for them to sell better than others.

I think SCEE keeps mentioning being number one this year in every interview they do :). On the other hand, we hear nothing of SCEJ and SCEA has nothing to brag about.

But generally, this is huge positive news for Sony and its investors. Japanese companies are NOT doing well right now, with all the disasters and high Yen, they are all posting major loses. Panasonic just posted 5 billion loss for the year so far.

KageMaru said:
If Microsoft really cared about selling more than Sony, they would have dropped the price this year. Clearly they did the math and realized that while a price drop would sell more units, it wouldn't offset the narrower profit margins.

Satchel

Banned
GrandHarrier said:
Isn't the PS3 the console that has actually "regressed" in what it offered, from launch? With the removal of other OS, and such.
As has the Wii and DS and PSP.

The 360 is the only console this gen to increase its offering as the gen goes on, and have done so keeping the price he same, or dropping it slightly. But that's a little off topic.

I've had a PS3 since 07, I couldn't get one at launch, but I always felt for me, that even at $1000AU it was still pretty good value. Hell, the Saturn cost my mum $900AU back in 95!! So I didn't see $1000 as such an issue to be honest.

I'm kinda glad Sony has rebounded so well from the atrocity that was their launch because it will hopefully encourage them to be bold with their offering next gen.

Although I'd prefer a one console future, I don't mind the balance I get right now with my PSWii60 combo.

statham

someone better then me could turn 'mama said knock you out' into a PS3 theme song, maybe tomorrow, its halloween, and I feel lazy.

a Master Ninja said:
If Microsoft really cared about selling more than Sony, they would have dropped the price this year. Clearly they did the math and realized that while a price drop would sell more units, it wouldn't offset the narrower profit margins.

Microsoft cares about selling more than Sony, otherwise there will not be a $199 360. They also care about profits which is why they still left the other 360 at $299, best of both worlds.

hirokazu

spwolf said:
they certainly mention it - but each Sony territory mentions their own stats, you dont get Sony WW issuing PR's. They might not say actual numbers, but they will issue PR's all around when they are first. Of course, it is really important for them to sell better than others.

I think SCEE keeps mentioning being number one this year in every interview they do :). On the other hand, we hear nothing of SCEJ and SCEA has nothing to brag about.

But generally, this is huge positive news for Sony and its investors. Japanese companies are NOT doing well right now, with all the disasters and high Yen, they are all posting major loses. Panasonic just posted 5 billion loss for the year so far.
OK, I didn't know SCEE's been going around saying they're No. 1 in Europe, although I was referring more about combined worldwide numbers. Though them being ahead in EU isn't exactly news, to me, it's still actually getting (interpolated) numbers that's the news.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
In what is probably not a very surprising result, it is also the most shipped console of 2011.

Parmenides said:
Code:
Hardware Sales (Unit:Million)

(Ja-Mr)11   (Ap-Jn)11    (Jl-Sp)11    (Oc-Dc)11    YTD       LTD

PS3      2.1        1.8          3.7           -         7.6       55.5 

360      2.7        1.7          2.3           -         6.7       57.6

Wii      1.36       1.56         1.79          -         4.71      89.36

PS2      1.2        1.4          1.2           -         3.8      ~153.0

3DS      3.61       0.71         2.36          -         6.68      6.68

PSP      1.7        1.8          1.7           -         5.2      ~73.0

NDS      1.82       1.44         1.14          -         4.4       149.0

hirokazu said:
Sure, but I haven't been defence forcing any one side, so... :p

I didn't realise I've actually posted so much in here. -_-"

Yeah, like I said, I wasn't implying that you have, you've actually been one of the more reasonable posters. Nevertheless, I found it funny since you were obviously quite prolific in this thread.

hirokazu

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Yeah, like I said, I wasn't implying that you have, you've actually been one of the more reasonable posters. Nevertheless, I found it funny since you were obviously quite prolific in this thread.
I guess I got caught up in it. Probably because I've been procrastinating rather than preparing for exams. >_>

theBishop

Banned
Don't mention Sony sales to me. I might will cry.

What a weird fucking hardware generation.

Looking forward to next-gen. Sony's 1st party publishing has never been stronger, online is still free (better stay that way), and they have appeal in every major region.

Top Bottom