• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 is the best worldwide selling console of 2011 [Update: Undershipped 360 by 800k]

hirokazu

entrement said:
Weird stat given the holiday seaon is still part of 2011 and it hasn't been measured obviously.
Most of the the crazy in this thread came from the bad thread title taken from a news site spin-off of a British online store. But props that they actually referenced GAF as their source.

The actual original GAF thread is much less idiotic, doesn't imply that this represents anything but the year to date, and is more reminiscent of the weekly Media-create thread to me, not some fanboy cesspool.

Truespeed

snoopen said:
This thread is embarrassing. Feeling something [beyond basic brand loyalty] for a corporation like Sony or Microsoft is stupid.

Actually, it's not. People feel something, beyond basic brand loyalty, for many corporations such as Ferrari, McLaren or even the Green Bay Packers.

LOCK

This year will go to the 3DS worldwide.

But for consoles yeah the PS3 will probably win, but really its so late in the game it doesn't really matter.

Ravage

This thread is incredible, looks like a title change is all it takes to bring out the fanboyism from everyone. I'm having a blast going through all the bitterness and tears, some of the comments here are pure gold. We have people disputing Nintendo official numbers, N4G-class 'too bad my ___ is collecting dust lolx' comments, and even a few loonies who think kinect is something 'ground-breaking'. I've seen it all.

mujun

Truespeed said:
Actually, it's not. People feel something, beyond basic brand loyalty, for many corporations such as Ferrari, McLaren or even the Green Bay Packers.

I agree. Until people take it from fan to fanboy. Imo you should never forget to keep reason in mind.

Satchel

Banned
upJTboogie said:
Well that thread was chock full of warriors who have now made theor way over here.

I don't even understand how this thread got this way.

The PS3 has sold the most consoles worldwide this year so far.

Isn't this good for Sony? It shouldn't affect Nintendo or Microsoft negatively. I think it's fantastic when the 3 major players sell 90 million, 60 million and 60 million respectively.

It's a win for literally all involved.

longdi

Banned
PS3 is the best mass Pro-Consumer Device ever! That is damn fact, deal with it!
Shows that success can come without being a gimmick or a tightly controlled ecosystem!
I hope sales continue to soar!
Go PS3! 3cheers for Ken!

Rad-

You'd think PS3 caught up to Wii or something when reading this topic. GameFAQs-esque topic right here.

longdi

Banned
a win for ps3 is a win for consumer. if you see how consumer devices are getting increasingly manufacturer's "locked-out" to provide a "better" intended experience, we need to go back to a world where more hardware are built like ps3.

Gravijah

longdi said:
a win for ps3 is a win for consumer. if you see how consumer devices are getting increasingly manufacturer's "locked-out" to provide a "better" intended experience, we need to go back to a world where more hardware are built like ps3.

have you seen the vita?

proprietary memory stick
cannot remove/change battery
proprietary (iirc) charging/usb port

etc

sadly, the days of openness are gone.

Mxrz

So giving a company props for turning something around is now Fanboyism? Really?

I like Sony. And I like that they seem to have learned from and recovered from their earlier fuck ups. If that makes me a fanboy, meh. I guess I'd rather be that than just another cynical hater.

tafer

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Imagine a legendary thread that would spur. Come on, Sony, don't let us down!

That would be an amazing thread... quick people, we have like 4-5 years of posts and a lot of crows to serve!

The reactions of the people in this thread are so predictive. You know exactly what they'll post by just looking at their avatar. I disabled avatar visibility to make it more fun.

Jomjom

Banned
Mxrz said:
So giving a company props for turning something around is now Fanboyism? Really?

I like Sony. And I like that they seem to have learned from and recovered from their earlier fuck ups. If that makes me a fanboy, meh. I guess I'd rather be that than just another cynical hater.
You'll learn soon enough. The only time it's not fanboyism is when you patting MS on the back for sales each month in the NPD thread. Go look at each months thread and you'll see about a hundred posts like that, none of them from fanboys.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Truespeed said:
Are you saying that because people do it it's not stupid? it is.

longdi said:

You haven't been in any recent Vita threads I see...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Anyone care to speculate on what PS3's final install-base will stand at?

Objectively if you look at how long PS2 lasted profitably into the HD generation, and how incremental the next technology/feature-set expansion is looking to be, that 10 year plan is looking quite reasonable.

jling84 said:
You'll learn soon enough. The only time it's not fanboyism is when you patting MS on the back for sales each month in the NPD thread. Go look at each months thread and you'll see about a hundred posts like that, none of them from fanboys.

Haha. That's so true.

Microsoft fans are the worst at that.

Satchel said:
Well that thread was chock full of warriors who have now made theor way over here.

I don't even understand how this thread got this way.

The PS3 has sold the most consoles worldwide this year so far.

Isn't this good for Sony? It shouldn't affect Nintendo or Microsoft negatively. I think it's fantastic when the 3 major players sell 90 million, 60 million and 60 million respectively.

It's a win for literally all involved.
I don't even recognize any "warriors" from the uncharted thread. I can't understand why you decided to include something completely unrelated to this thread.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
jling84 said:
I noticed that too, that's why I try not to post in the NPD related topics.

I like Sony, and I'm glad that they are turning a profit. But I wouldn't call myself a Sony fangirl. I am a Valve fangirl, through and through!

Majmun

PS3 is the best worldwide selling console of 2011...so far

We still have the holiday season. Nintendo usually banks during that time of the year.

Second said:
PS3 is the best worldwide selling console of 2011...so far

We still have the holiday season. Nintendo usually banks during that time of the year.

i think they are talking about financial year, correct me if im wrong though.

Haunted

Tmac said:
flipper-bridge-hong-kong-china.jpg
That's genius.

onQ123

Thunder Monkey said:
Good year for the PS3.

Bad generation for Sony.

Nothing else to it then that.

they sold over 100 million consoles since the beginning of this console Generation

but still bad as far as losing all that money but as for console sells no one did bad this generation.

mujun

onQ123 said:
they sold over 100 million consoles since the beginning of this console Generation

but still bad as far as losing all that money but as for console sells no one did bad this generation.

They also lost marketshare. Hence the reason some people consider Sony to have had it tough this gen.

GrandHarrier said:
Isn't the PS3 the console that has actually "regressed" in what it offered, from launch? With the removal of other OS, and such.

I think that they added much more things than they took out.

But yes, when all that linux issue and the PSN attacks I said that PS4 will be closed as hell, and Vita is the proof. Sony tried to play nice, only to have much more problems. Expect a PS4 with propietary hard drives, propietary cards (maybe the same of PSV), and an inner bomb prepared to detonate if you manipulate the hardware of the console.

Has SONY even mentioned anything about this? I figure the PR would've said a statement by now. Or is it something they're waiting to say on NPD?

onQ123

ShinobiFist said:
Has SONY even mentioned anything about this? I figure the PR would've said a statement by now. Or is it something they're waiting to say on NPD?

Sony will make their report on November 2 , I think.

Apath

OldJadedGamer said:
You haven't been in any recent Vita threads I see...
The Vita is an amazing piece of hardware. So amazing that the drawbacks provided by the memory clusterfuck isn't even enough to overshadow how awesome it is.

hirokazu

ShinobiFist said:
No, because this isn't a big deal worthy of mention outside their financial reports. It's only interesting to people interested in sales-age because it brings some numbers we're missing.

The thread title brought out some defence forces from both sides into action, that's all.

spwolf

hirokazu said:
No, because this isn't a big deal worthy of mention outside their financial reports. It's only interesting to people interested in sales-age because it brings some numbers we're missing.

The thread title brought out some defence forces from both sides into action, that's all.

of course it is big deal worthy, and of course they mention it.
most recently we have had Sony AU PR which mentions how they are best selling by volume and revenue (in their own territory).

how can Sony PS3 being the best selling console of the year not be important? :).

onQ123 said:

In the console arena there was a victor, but no real "losers". All systems sold well, the 2nd and 3rd place systems selling more than any prior. By a fairly wide margin.

But that wasn't the point.

Last gen Sony sold over 150 million home consoles alone. This gen they'll be very lucky if they hit half that.

PS3 and PSP have sold like 130 million units combined. The PSP is the most successful 2nd place handheld the industry has seen too. But in the time that Sony was doing commendable work on the handheld front. Nintendo did exceptional. In that same time span Nintendo sold 100 million units more.

I'm not saying that to knock the achievements of either system. This industry has never seen this broad of a market. Handhelds have seen the biggest boom, a slight decline in the home console market, but the market itself a lot bigger.

And growing larger and larger as more and more gaming options become available.

To the future gentlemen.

*raises glass*

Top Bottom