• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 is the best worldwide selling console of 2011 [Update: Undershipped 360 by 800k]

theBishop

Banned
Yup, they all suck ass compared to the PS2.

The only glaring difference to me is Japanese development. And there's still a few years for Square and Level-5 to make some waves. PS3 currently costs $250. Sony will want to milk it for at least 2-3 years after the drop to $199. That was famously PS2's most successful period.

The Last Of Us could end up being a 2013 title. That's a major new franchise launching 7 years into the life cycle. Who knows what else is on the horizon.

i struggle to call any of the three home consoles "best."

"least worst"?

None are great, but PS3 just seems to be the best of the worst.

PS3 has far and away the best physical design and core hardware features as a device. I'd have said 360 has the best OS by a mile but with the Metro update I don't know about that anymore -- but it does still have a better controller.

The Wii has the best, ummm, I dunno... power-use profile?

NavNucST3

I thought the 360 US holiday blow out cancelled out JP/Euro PS3 gains and then some?

The 360's US advantage was enough to cancel out the full year Japan deficit along with the EU deficit through week 41 leaving the 360 with an almost 464k unit advantage but someone would need to pixel count to give us a better estimation as to how many units the PS3 and 360 sold (according to Nintendo slides) for the quarter to see who sold-through the most.

Endo Punk

Sony made a major U-turn with PS3 so it's fitting that it sold the most. Well in Japan and EU anyway. I guess America is less forgiving due to PS3's awful first two years. Can't say I blame them, Sony have themself to blame. Second job for the system? Give me a break. It's a shame really, Sony's first party output this gen puts PS2 gen to shame, and for the most part they are fantastic games.

Alright I'm just gonna say it, 360 had a 1 year lead and it's now up by a couple million?

BALLS.

720 coming next year for sure, MS will not let Sony pass them before next-next gen.

Yoona

Banned
PS3 has far and away the best physical design and core hardware features as a device. I'd have said 360 has the best OS by a mile but with the Metro update I don't know about that anymore -- but it does still have a better controller.

The Wii has the best, ummm, I dunno... power-use profile?

If 360 had some good exclusives I'd probably say they're even. As it stands, PS3 >> 360 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wii.

I really do hate the new 360 dash though. Apparently it actually works good if you have a Kinect, lol.

the_id

News to me. I was worried the brand image would be destroyed by the hacking of PSN. How will this help sony though? They're still not doing well financially.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Pretty sure this title is from the Jul-Sep quarter, we have no idea who sold/shipped more through Oct-Dec.

Raonak

Banned
News to me. I was worried the brand image would be destroyed by the hacking of PSN. How will this help sony though? They're still not doing well financially.

yeah, but thats mostly because of the other divisions, namely the TV division. It's a black hole. SCE is doing good/ok IIRC.

Endo Punk

Exclusives. That's why there will never be another console like the PS2. In 2001 alone the PS2 had GTA3, MGS2, FFX, TM Black, Onimusha, GT3, SH2, ICO, DMC and Jak all released exclusively for it.

I bought most of those games. Damn I take back what I said, exclusive wise PS2 is the greatest system of all time.

FtsH

finally...... and with the release of WiiU and Xbox720, PS3 will oversell Wii and Xbox360 every year from now on. Sony, congratulations!

GeoramA

None are great, but PS3 just seems to be the best of the worst.
Pretty much. PS3 would probably be one of the greats if Sony was actually fucking prepared for this generation. It's still biting them in the ass today with the PS3 being $250 instead of $199.

Crazy!! I guess it's true that Euroland is Ps3 territory after all. With them crazy sales the 360 had in November, I would have never guessed this!

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Wow, so the 360 beat the PS3 by only 30,000?

Geez, they couldn't even let Sony have this one win.

Not when the figures there are all rounded off to the nearest 100 000.

With all the figures they need to add up to get the total, the error bar may be as large as 400k. Not to mention that all the figures are just estimates from various agencies anyway.

Exclusives. That's why there will never be another console like the PS2. In 2001 alone the PS2 had GTA3, MGS2, FFX, TM Black, Onimusha, GT3, SH2, ICO, DMC and Jak all released exclusively for it.

Yeah, when you have 1 system hit 100 million back then compared to having 2 systems split it apart to be 100 million, those kinds of exclusives just aren't happening anymore with both systems also having such close performance parity. Then there is especially when the home console hardware leader Wii ironically isn't supported a lot by third party devs because most dev teams had geared up for more powerful hardware development and thusly PS3/360 get most of the support.

I don't get this.

Nintendo said they sold 150 million DS', 15 million 3DS and 94 million Wii.
Isn't that the data we should be comparing. Not data without the last quarter of the year?

I assume this won't change the order (1st sony, 2nd MS, 3rd Nintendo), but comparing incomplete data, and starting a small fanboy war isn't something I like.

So, how to get the data complete?

Edit: well, fuck me.... old topic, LOL!

Top Bottom