• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Largest (in TB!) Hard Drive?

So due to having had PSN Plus for 4 years and the awesome deals you can get my lowly PS3 is reach the limit of it's 1TB hard drive I have in there.

I'd like to upgrade it to 2TB but I've heard/read inside the internet that the max size you can use is 1TB.

Does anyone know the answer? Has anyone slid a larger hard drive into their PS3's slot?

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
So due to having had PSN Plus for 4 years and the awesome deals you can get my lowly PS3 is reach the limit of it's 1TB hard drive I have in there.

I'd like to upgrade it to 2TB but I've heard/read inside the internet that the max size you can use is 1TB.

Does anyone know the answer? Has anyone slid a larger hard drive into their PS3's slot?

209.gif

There have got to be some games you haven't touched in 4 years. What's wrong with deleting a couple? They'll still be tied to your account.

In other words, I can't tell you, I'm still several hundred gigabytes away from filling my 750GB HDD

Donos

209.gif

There have got to be some games you haven't touched in 4 years. What's wrong with deleting a couple? They'll still be tied to your account.

In other words, I can't tell you, I'm still several hundred gigabytes away from filling my 750GB HDD

dat 1080p pron ...

209.gif

I like to have them all available. Also with over 2000 items on my download list I've completely forgotten what I've actually got.

rkT-most-of-reddit-this-morning.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah I saw that. Whilst it may fit I want to know if it'll work. I've seen unconfirmed reports around the internet that it doesn't and before I spend £65 on one to tear it open (which I can't then return) I want to know it's going to work

why wouldn't it? its a 9.5mm 2.5" HDD.

Fitts

Yeah I saw that. Whilst it may fit I want to know if it'll work. I've seen unconfirmed reports around the internet that it doesn't and before I spend £65 on one to tear it open (which I can't then return) I want to know it's going to work

You can't return it after opening? That's ludicrous... try a different retailer.

Unfortunately, I have only read unconfirmed reports on a 2TB working in a PS3 myself. 500GB has done the job for the generation for me, but I tend to delete what I no longer play/watch.

andshrew

Don't think that 2TB drive works unfortunately, I looked into doing the same. 1.5TB is probably the biggest if you can find one that physically fits.

If you do a google for "PS3 2TB" you'll see a load of people saying that they connect them and they don't work. So I'm trying to see if anyone here has done it.

Have you looked at the dates for those reports? There used to be a size limit to what the firmware would recognize, but that was removed a couple years ago AFAIK.

Fisty

Yea max size PS3 recognizes is 2tb, but thats external, dont know about internal. No idea why it would be different tho, they did raise the HDD size limit many times over the years.

I just put a 1tb Samsung EVO in my ps4... really wish an SSD would make more of an impact in the ps3

Also, dont bother asking Sony, they cant say it works without official testing each drive, which they wont do

Glasshole

Banned
I can only speak for my experience: I tried a 2tb drive, and it didn't work. I then bought the 1tb version of the same drive, which worked flawlessly.

Now, which drive that was, I have no idea.

Bowl0l

I can only speak for my experience: I tried a 2tb drive, and it didn't work. I then bought the 1tb version of the same drive, which worked flawlessly.

Now, which drive that was, I have no idea.
Noted. Now I will upgrade my PS4 HDD instead..

REDSLATE

When I looked into this a couple months ago, I couldn't find anything explicitly stating that 2 TB would work internally. The largest confirmed working, internal HDD I found was 1 TB.

LogicGoat

Neo Member
I can confirm that a 2TB drive won't work. I tried two different 2TB drives on my PS3 (slim) and both were incompatible.

I don't know if a 1.5 TB drive would work.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
why wouldn't it? its a 9.5mm 2.5" HDD.

Pretty sure that shit is formatted FAT32. Any external backup drive has to be...

Still not sure why it wouldn't work but goes a long way towards explaining the funkiness therein.

Top Bottom