• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 NYC Launch Party a go (Ludacris, D-Nice, Charlie Murphy, PS3s) - RSVPs open

john tv

Mejilan said:
Thank you. Please let me know!

Edit - Wait, 8am? Didn't John say that they reopen at 7am tomorrow?
That's what a SCEA PR person told me but I didn't confirm it with any store reps.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I couldn't believe some of the people they interviewed...

"Man, I couldn't wait for this day!"
"Really, gonna go home tonight and play"
"No, I'm selling"
"Oh, picking up any games then"
"Err, well, there's that dirt racing game and that Killzone looks TIGHT"

Just listening to all those people who were only there to sell made the stage presentation seem even worse.

It was funny to listen to, though...

"Forget everything you know about gaming 'cuz after tonight, gaming is changed forever. It's the future baby"

Yeah, a bunch of inferior XBOX360 ports, some average exclusives, and one solid first person shooter (that does nothing new). THE FUTURE IT HERE BABY.

Honestly, I still wanted one (come on second shipment), but the launch lineup was sliced up so badly that I was questioning where the excitement was coming from.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Seems like this was a bust to those that weren't already in line. Thanks for checking up on it, C-Webb!

aparisi2274

I was there with John... It was a fun Party... The line was uber crazy long. The guy who got the 1st PS3 was there for 4 days... it was crazy...

Now onto the Wii!!!!!

A couple of things...

- The entire event on the press side was rather poorly run. One hand had no idea what the other was doing for the most part, and a lot of Sony folks seemed agitated, surly even. But given the scale of it all, and how exhausted everyone looked, one couldn't be too upset... at least I wasn't. Out of everyone, the reporters were perhaps the most pissed, since many of them, including myself, were herded around like cattle with little ryhme or reason.

- The gamers on the other-hand were fairly relaxed, but you could tell that most were just happy to there. I spoke to quite a few and heard of reports of unruliness in the line leading up to the event.

- The MC was pretty annoying, and Charlie Murphy was funny for the first three miutes, but just went on and on and on. And when Kaz asked the crowed, in the most strained, try SO hard to be hip manner "Alright, what does everyone want?!?!", my attempts to start a "RIIIDDDGGGGEEEEE RACER" chant didn't work. Oh well.

I also loved how the MC had to warn everyone 30 times about not acting "thuggish". I guess in response to earlier in the evening.

- So there were 400 "consumers" and they each got a system. But when I asked how many systems they had in total, and what configurations ("what if its spilt between the 20 and 60 gig models, but everyone wants a 60 gig model?"), no one could give me a response.

- Here's a shot from outside of all the people who didn't manage to get in, and watching the "lucky ones" buying the first round of systems. It was like watching a bunch of homeless folks salivating over rich folks eating fillet mignonin some five star resturant.

ps3launch.jpg

aparisi2274

It was fgunny because when the first batch of people were entering, all I heard them saying was ebay here I come... One girl was looking to be interviewed to bad, and when she was, she was like, yeah I am gonna put this on ebay....

Also, most of the celebs were dicks. Charlie Murphy included... I was listening as press were asking him for an interview and he was "I'm not here for that tonight, sorry" and just walked away. He barely took pics with anyone, and after his routine (which was pretty funny) he jetted off stage and right out the building...

Ludacris was a waste. At least have him perform some songs... I know he is hosting SNL tonight, so maybe he wanted to conserve his voice... who knows...

Kaz Hirai and Howard Stringer (I think that is his last name) looked so out of place on that stage talking to everyone... Kaz should just not try to be hip anymore... It doesnt work.

Anyway, at about 11:30 John and I went into the store and setup our equipment to get some press shots of the #1 guy getting his PS3. Angel Paredes was the lucky guy who waited in line for 4 days.

medianv5.jpg

Lucky Guy!! I guess.....

All in All it was a fun time... Everyone should read John's report:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3155338

Top Bottom