• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Overheating Help?

stn

Hey all. Have a question about the PS3. I have a 40GB model. Anyway, during the Summer it becomes QUITE humid in my room. Its pretty bad. I noticed that when I play for periods of 30 minutes - 1 hour the console will suddenly become REALLY loud as the fans go into overdrive.

Tonight its actually somewhat cool but I guess its still too humid? I say this because I just played some MGS4 for a little over an hour when the fans started going nuts. There is central air in my home so a portable A/C really is not a solution (sadly). Anyone have experience with this? It runs fine when its cool outside. But yeah, my room is generally hell during the Summer. I have otherwise had zero issues with the console.

Astarte

I went through the motions of placing my PS3 in a well ventilated place that wasn't hot as fuck, buying a little fan to accompany the machine, then finally tearing it apart to apply thermal paste.

SystemsGo

Banned
You'll need to change the thermal paste, there are a couple of guides online that will help you through it. This is something that will take half a day if you take your time. If you don't want to do it, and want to try a quicker solution, prop something like building blocks underneath your PS3 if you are laying it horizontally. If you touch the bottom of your PS3 when you're playing a game you'll feel how hot it can get. Lifting the PS3 should take off a couple of degrees and may be just enough to prevent the fan from triggering its highest speed...or at least prolong the time it takes to get up that high.

My 60 gig euro PS3 is fine except when playing Killzone 2 and killzone 3 demo.

Than it dies without blinking and shuts off suddenly as if I hit the power off/on. But playing through the last of us/BF3/Resistance 3/Bioshock Infinite? No problem. Its only killzone 2, killzone 3 sp demo and Trash Panic full game.

Recently brought a vacuum cleaner to it. It helped the noise, but killzone 2 still crashes 5 minutes into the story and its not a overheating issue.

anyone have a clue? I wrote guerilla about it but got no response.

Almighty

Had the same problem when I was playing The Last of Us on my old 80 gig fatty. I did the Ps3 fan test, then used a vacuum on it, did the fan test again, and vacuumed it one more time. It seems to fix the problem I was was able to complete that game without the fan kicking into high gear. Been pretty quite since in fact. So that might work for you.

RobbieNick

I was told playing it vertically helps because heat rises and there's ventilation up top to escape whereas horizontally, it's like a dome so some of the heat remains at the top. I dunno how true that is.

Kevf

Neo Member
This happens to me also when I play the Last of Us also on warm days.

I've already run the fan-test, cleaned the ps3 and when that didn't help, I replaced the thermal paste.

It seems to help just a little. The ps3 goes into overdrive after 20 minutes instead of 10....

Bradach

The last of us was causing my ps3 slim fans to flip out until I vacuumed all the vents. It hasn't gone into overdrive since

Drake

Yeah, I have the same model as OP. It's always done this. Eventually the fan turns off after about 15 minutes. It's annoying, but I've never had any problems with my PS3.

stn

I don't think I trust myself to open the console and apply thermal paste. What exactly is the vacuum trick? You just put a small vacuum up to the vents and suck whatever dust is out?

What if I avoid playing during the Summer and just resume when its cooler outside? I haven't gotten the YLOD or anything like that. Worst comes to worst I can take it to a shop and pay for them to apply this paste.

Thanks!

Hey all. Have a question about the PS3. I have a 40GB model. Anyway, during the Summer it becomes QUITE humid in my room. Its pretty bad. I noticed that when I play for periods of 30 minutes - 1 hour the console will suddenly become REALLY loud as the fans go into overdrive.

Tonight its actually somewhat cool but I guess its still too humid? I say this because I just played some MGS4 for a little over an hour when the fans started going nuts. There is central air in my home so a portable A/C really is not a solution (sadly). Anyone have experience with this? It runs fine when its cool outside. But yeah, my room is generally hell during the Summer. I have otherwise had zero issues with the console.

I have a 40 gig too... just watching a blu ray movie these days starts to send the fan into overdrive. I think it's the end of my PS3 soon. Next gen can't get here soon enough.

iNvid02

i think the same thing is happening to my slim, had never heard the fan go into "overdrive" before but i guess the sweltering temp and the last of us were beating the shit out of it

its been solid for years now so im not really worried, i would be less comfortable if i had one of the older models though

worst fear:
ps3 dies on the day gta v launches

If your PS3 hasn't shut down by itself, then it hasn't overheat. You're fine

I have a 40 gig too... just watching a blu ray movie these days starts to send the fan into overdrive. I think it's the end of my PS3 soon. Next gen can't get here soon enough.
I feel you man, I can't stand the fact that the ps4 isn't bc but I need to retire this ps3. The fans are scaring me:( eventually I'll get another slim down the line but I don't have the cash right now for a slim and p4.

It gets pretty loud when playing Lou. I don't even have an ac anymore cause I kept blowing fuses cause everyone else in my building throw their ac's on full blast and my ps3 would keep shutting down cause the fuses. If its not one thing it's another.

Top Bottom