• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ps3 overscan issue :(

TEH-CJ

Banned
Hey all

I have a panasonic viera TH42PZ700A ( great tv btw) and I'm getting some horrible over scan issues in 720p with HDMI. I'm wondering if this is ps3 related or would it by my tv's fault? and if that's the case would anyone know how to access the service menu on this particular model? so i could possible rectify the problem.

thanks all.

Check you manual for scaling options. Some/Most TVs have a 1:1 pixel mode but they call it something weird like "Just Scan".

TEH-CJ

Banned
_leech_ said:
Check you manual for scaling options. Some/Most TVs have a 1:1 pixel mode but they call it something weird like "Just Scan".

Yea man I have that option available only in 1080p :(

Varna

TEH-CJ said:
Hey all

I have a panasonic viera TH42PZ700A ( great tv btw) and I'm getting some horrible over scan issues in 720p with HDMI. I'm wondering if this is ps3 related or would it by my tv's fault? and if that's the case would anyone know how to access the service menu on this particular model? so i could possible rectify the problem.

thanks all.

Might be a long shot....

I had a similar issue with my Westinghouse 32' 720p TV. Any HD resolution would cause the TV to overscan (Not normal screen option. Hitting overscan would just cause it to zoom in even more). I tried calling Sony to see if there was a secret option for such a thing and they said no. Also contacted the Westinghouse customer service and spent a good time going through what could be the cause. They couldn't really help me, they were equally stumped.

I don't know what compelled me to do this, but I saved all my PS3 data and reformatted. Just like that the picture was a perfect 1:1 ratio. But once I restored the data it was back to overscan. I tried just resetting the configuration files, but that didn't fix anything. Only a full reformat would do anything.

To this day I have no idea what causes the problem. I deleted that backup information and redownloaded anything. I had nothing on my PS3 besides Rock Band DLC, Super Star Dust, Everyday Shooter and the MGS database.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
_leech_ said:
So set your PS3 to output in 1080p (deselect 720p, select 1080i/p) and enable the option on the TV.
I have the same TV or similar. Will try this now. Just so you know CJ, these tend to have a 2.5% overscan (according to the AVS forums DVD I downloaded to help with calibration)

Tried it and didn't work for me.

If it's like any other recent panny plasma, the 1:1 pixel mapping is "HD size 2". It's not a stretch mode setting. It's somewhere in the picture controls menu.

Yah my old Vizio had a huge overscan issue. My new TV has an option called "native" that fixes any overscan. It was so bad on my old TV, sometimes life bars and other parts of the HUD would be cut off. Pissed me off. It seems like some developers adjust for this, by bringing in the HUD closer to the middle of the display, so things aren't right on the edge. I used to notice this a lot with my 360 games, that overscan was generally not a problem. I know I had several PS3 games though that really had issues. It is almost like accounting for people with overscan is built into the Xbox 360 certification process or something, and maybe it is not something they look at on the Sony side. I don't know, that's the only explanation I can think of.

Mobius 1

In the settings, you will find a setting called Picture (screen) size. Set it to Size 2, as that maps it 1:1. The default setting is overscanned to cover digital TV border garbage.

I'm get a lot of constant shimmering on every game. As in... multiple segments of light on ground/wall textures flicker when I pan. Is it normal?

I've read somewhere that most games have it.. but ever so often I wonder if my system is faulty. I have a rear projection screen and 720p.

The "size 2" thing should have fixed it. If I'm not mistaken, that's a 1080p TV? Make sure PS3 is set to 1080p.

Turn off the PS3 and then turn it on again, but hold don the power button to reset the PS3's video settings, and let it autodetect the hdmi connection.

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/TH42PZ700U.PDF

try pressing the FORMAT button on the remote (check page 32) or HD size adjust (page 29).

its menu > picture > other adjust. > hd size (can toggle between size 1 and size 2)

TEH-CJ

Banned
viewtiful_dru said:
The "size 2" thing should have fixed it. If I'm not mistaken, that's a 1080p TV? Make sure PS3 is set to 1080p.

Turn off the PS3 and then turn it on again, but hold don the power button to reset the PS3's video settings, and let it autodetect the hdmi connection.

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/TH42PZ700U.PDF

try pressing the FORMAT button on the remote (check page 32) or HD size adjust (page 29).

its menu > picture > other adjust. > hd size (can toggle between size 1 and size 2)

Hey dude i dont have any of those settings :(

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Sony really needs to add a general screen resize option under settings like the Gamecube. I too have major overscan on my TV (but my HDTV is like 5 years old) and I can't see the HP/MP when I play FF12 on the PS3.

jabipun

new question regarding overscan

I have 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p checked off on my ps3 display choices.

My TV has an option for overscan on or off.

While I was watching district 9, I loaded up the cablibration screen to do some basic tests (7669) - and I noticed the screen is slightly zoomed in. I'm missing visual data on the edges of the screen. It's not much, but CLEARLY noticeable of the zoom in.

So, I turn overscan off.

Now, with games - I noticed with Overscan on God of War 3 (demo) I was losing out on the edges, as with Heavy Rain. So I put it to overscan off. But on overscan off - I lose some visual options, like - I can't adjust sharpness or color. I can still change brightness and contrast, though.

What's also odd is that the image kind of changes. Overscan on kind of ... looks better? I don't know. The color hue changes a little bit.

What's worse, is that for all those games overscan on - I lose some of hte image because it's zoomed in, but with MLB 09 the show, overscan on fits. And conversely - overscan off the image doesn't fill up the screen entirely.

I really don't know what the fuck to do in regards to display settings and overscan. Any help?

PS: Reading this thread. it seems as if I"m luckier than others with older HDTV's.

So - my solution would be to set ovescan to off right? I noticed the problem with others is that their HDTV's don't have an overscan on/off selection option.

And as for MLB 10 the show - the game has a built in option to expand the screen both horizontally and vertically. So - it shouldn't be a problem.

Shai-Tan

Banned
That's all relative to the make/model. You should check out avsforum.

So - my solution would be to set ovescan to off right? I noticed the problem with others is that their HDTV's don't have an overscan on/off selection option.

They do but the terminology might be slightly different. e.g. Overscan off is the same as "just scan" on.

jabipun

Shai-Tan said:
That's all relative to the make/model. You should check out avsforum.

They do but the terminology might be slightly different. e.g. Overscan off is the same as "just scan" on.

Yeah. So - regardless, I should set overscan to off?

Because with it ON - I lose visual data on the screen since it seems to zoom in the image.

My only concern is that the TV defaults to overscan on, and it gives you more visual options with overscan on. I.e, contrast, tint, color, sharpness, NR mode, DC mode, brightness etc.

But with overscan off, it fixes the screen problem as the screen now fits 1:1 fine - but it gimps my choices down to brightness and contrast. Almost as if overscan OFF is retard mode or something.

It also says "set overscan to off if you're displaying an image from a computer."

WTF? Sure - I guess the ps3 is a computer. But I thought it meant computer in a traditional sense, i.e computer via vga cable.

Durante

Jabipun, your TV seems smart enough to know that it shouldn't apply any post-processing to a PC/console digital signal. That's a good thing, maybe you even get less input lag with that setting. So yes, deactivate overscan.

jabipun

Okay. Will do.

It was a bit odd because I was underwhelmed with God of War 3 (demo) visually - there was a lot of shimmering and things looked a bit out of focused - I kind of felt that the screen seemed a bit zoomed in.

With Overscan OFF (1:1 image whatever you call it) - it looks a lot better. The shimmering and the zoomed in - look is gone.

Thanks for the help. I was only concerned because the TV defaulted to Overscan ON, maybe I thought something was off with the PS3 or whatever.

But - just wondering, why do TV's even have these OverScan options? Don't people want a 1:1 to fit. What's the point of having options that causes the screen to be zoomed in on itself where you are losing out on the sides and top/bottom images? In other words, in what scenario - instance or whatever, would I want to have my TV set to Overscan ON?

Shai-Tan

Banned
jabipun said:
It also says "set overscan to off if you're displaying an image from a computer."

WTF? Sure - I guess the ps3 is a computer. But I thought it meant computer in a traditional sense, i.e computer via vga cable.

It depends on the brand/model and can also depend on the input (hdmi vs vga vs component etc). Not having calibration is less than ideal but some manufacturers decide to take it away based on assumptions that don't necessarily apply. Samsung does this in "game mode" which makes it useless to many because it forces dynamic picture settings (I use one of the standard modes for game playing because of it... but Samsung allows overscan to be turned off on most inputs regardless)

jabipun

Yeah. I searched overscan online and I found out some people are pissed because depending on the input/output, the option to turn off overscan (thereby allowing 1:1 pixel) is disabled.

I still don't really understand what's going on.

I put in Disctrict 9 Blu-Ray. Noticed in the calibration screens that the image was being zoomed in. Figured - oh, well, let's set overscan to off and fix this bitch. But the overscan option was grayed out.

So then I was playing God of War 3 demo, and noticed the screen was zoomed. But this time - the option to turn overscan OFF was available. So I turned it off, and I now have 1:1 pixel mapping...hooray! I still don't know whats going on, but whatever - if putting overscan OFF fixes my 'problem' than who cares.

jabipun

Shai-Tan said:
... but Samsung allows overscan to be turned off on most inputs regardless)

Well then - I still beg the question, why do these TV manufactures have these over scan options.

Shouldn't Overscan set to OFF (1:1 image) be ideal and what you want? Who the fuck wants an overscanned / zoomed in image. Who/What benefits?

HoTHiTTeR

I have the sony 60" a3000 and I only have over or under scan issues on my ps3, no other boxes or consoles. Playing MLB the show 09 last year in 720p it didn't even fill my tv screen.....

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
The PS3 will not upscale all 720p content to 1080p like the 360 does & this fucks up the overscan on my TV too since the non-overscan option is only available for 1080p.

Top Bottom