• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3: Pandemic pleased with performance + SEGA working on the '80s classic remake

Izzy

Banned
"We're seeing stuff that goes dramatically beyond what we can do with the current generation [of games]," says Andrew Goldman, chief executive of Pandemic Studios, a Los Angeles outfit that wrote a series of popular Star Wars games for PlayStation 2. "And what you will see over time is going to be even more amazing." He says it will take years to fully exploit Cell's capabilities.

The good news: Some designers say creating games for Cell is far less complicated than writing for PlayStation 2. "Anyone who worked on the PlayStation 2 is jumping for joy," says Jeremy Gordon, chief executive of Secret Level, a gamemaker in San Francisco that is remaking a classic 1980s Sega videogame for the new Sony box.

Article

Discuss. :)

Discuss.... Hmm. Well I'm interested in what the remake is. But otherwise "oh".

(Its not like PS2 development was so hard it stopped games being made anyway)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Amir0x said:
Just give me next-gen Mercenaries.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=62433

The rumour mill is working overtime as far as Activision is concerned, with news emerging that the publisher is bringing out a new sequel for one of its hit franchises but has cancelled two more.

According to word from the US, LucasArts is currently hard at work on a follow-up to Mercenaries, the hit PS2 and Xbox shooter which was released in February of last year.

Apparently Mercenaries 2 is in development for the Xbox 360 and PS3, and should be out at the end of this year. Activision declined to comment when we contacted them about the rumour, but seeing as the first game sold an awful lot of copies it seems likely this one could be true.

Deg

Banned
We know the games being alluded to by Pandemic(Star Wars) and SEGA(80's remake) will be horrible.

Maybe.

Amir0x

Banned
gofreak: Good! It better be NEXT-GEN good too, none of this barely upgraded current gen crap. I want next-gen physics, animation, everything. Next-gen DESTRUCTION! Mercenaries 2 has the potential to be GOTY 2006 if it does in fact come out next year and they nail the fundamentals. Mercenaries 1 was so fucking good.

Gattsu25

Banned
2.5D Vectorman with absofuckingamazing graphics and physics...I mean...gravitational push and pull for all objects (sorta like how the hero keeps his shape) that affects every single aspect of the game world in great detail

Izzy

Banned
Wakune said:
2.5D Vectorman with absofuckingamazing graphics and physics...I mean...gravitational push and pull for all objects (sorta like how the hero keeps his shape) that affects every single aspect of the game world in great detail

Mega Drive/Genesis Vectorman was released in the '90s - 1995 IIRC.

calder

Amir0x said:
gofreak: Good! It better be NEXT-GEN good too, none of this barely upgraded current gen crap. I want next-gen physics, animation, everything. Next-gen DESTRUCTION! Mercenaries 2 has the potential to be GOTY 2006 if it does in fact come out next year and they nail the fundamentals. Mercenaries 1 was so fucking good.
Word. I just played through Mercenaries over the past week, have only the last 2 contracts left. So much fun, although I failed in my attempt to capture all the Spades - those bitches are so hard to capture alive. I finally snapped on the 4th attempt to get the one on the bluff with the 2 AA tanks and the Hind and I just called in a few carpet bombs, a FAB, and in a fury called in a couple of surgical strikes against the corpse and rubble then went in and verified.

Oni Jazar

Is related to the game that Totally Games is working for on the PSP?

This is what was said about that

We somewhat jokingly call this game a blastathon and that’s not at all far from the mark. In fact it draws its inspiration from such timeless classics such as Smash TV and Robotron 2084. Suffice it to say, the player will blast through hordes of rampaging monsters in a visceral and exciting gameplay experience unlike any other game on the PSP

Ponn

Banned
jet1911 said:
Golden Axe next-gen. *drools*

I want to kick around some next gen imps.

"Give me my health bitch!"

*slap"

Imp: OWWWW

"I just hit you because I love ya baby"

Can't wait to see next-gen Mercenaries, easily one of my favorite new IP's this gen. Hopefully they tack on some online modes for the sequel.

hie

by saying "it will take years to fully expoit Cell" it makes me think i'll buy a 360 now and wait years for a PS3 price drop. all the talk of 'eventually' it will outperform 360 makes it seem like "what's the rush to buy one?"

Amir0x

Banned
calder said:
Word. I just played through Mercenaries over the past week, have only the last 2 contracts left. So much fun, although I failed in my attempt to capture all the Spades - those bitches are so hard to capture alive. I finally snapped on the 4th attempt to get the one on the bluff with the 2 AA tanks and the Hind and I just called in a few carpet bombs, a FAB, and in a fury called in a couple of surgical strikes against the corpse and rubble then went in and verified.

I had a perfect capture record up until like the middle of the game, but there was this one time I went in and fucking tore apart this land without being careful and I accidentally killed one of the cards without noticing. So I went off and saved, and I came back and the dude was dead and there was no way I was gonna start the game over again. I was kinda ticked at that. :p

It's also a fairly nice sized game, I thought. Very good, worth purchasing. RE4 totally stole the thunder from it in Jan, but if anyone missed it they should definitely try and see if they can rent/buy it.

#1guess: a port of AfterBurner Climax from Lindbergh to PS3. the game is already being made by Sega themselves I think.

others guesses

Alex Kidd
Altered Beast (the GBA one a few years ago was okay)
Golden Axe (better than that POS Golden Axe remake for PS2)

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
jet1911 said:
Golden Axe next-gen. *drools*

Unless Sega of the last two years has changed in the creative decision-making sense, this has no chance of happening unless pitched by a triple A studio with a predone tech demo and design of the Gods.

ManaByte

Gold Member
boutrosinit said:
Unless Sega of the last two years has changed in the creative decision-making sense, this has no chance of happening unless pitched by a triple A studio with a predone tech demo and design of the Gods.

I wouldn't be so sure about that...

TheDuce22

Banned
"We're seeing stuff that goes dramatically beyond what we can do with the current generation [of games]," says Andrew Goldman, chief executive of Pandemic Studios, a Los Angeles outfit that wrote a series of popular Star Wars games for PlayStation 2. "And what you will see over time is going to be even more amazing." He says it will take years to fully exploit Cell's capabilities.

So if this guy gets fired should we throw another party while we desperately attempt to discredit him?

TheDuce22 said:
No, its just a reminder. Dont want the people that were working overtime yesterday to look like hypocrites. :)

All he's doing is talking about technology. If you're trying to bring that other guy into this, he talked about alot more than that. Guerrilla talks about the technology too, but they tiptoe around everything else.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
TheDuce22 said:
No, its just a reminder. Dont want the people that were working overtime yesterday to look like hypocrites. :)

It would have been more effective if he actually got fired

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
TheDuce22 said:
So if this guy gets fired should we throw another party while we desperately attempt to discredit him?

This man is not an employee of Sony and thus would not be subject to "defamation" clauses in an employee contract, which was likely what ultimately scuppered JR, partially if not wholly (IMO).

This man may not even be under NDA from Sony, and if he were, these comments wouldn't break that I don't think.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
On top of that the guy is chief exec, likelyhood of him sacking himself over this is probably pretty low :p

But keep up the good fight TheDuce :lol :lol :lol

Ponn

Banned
TheDuce22 said:

"You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
know when to walk away, know when to run"

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
TheDuce22 said:
Might be time for you to brush up on what qualifies as hypocrisy.

black_13

Banned
Sega has so god damn good classics they can remake and it's funny how they seem to have run out of all ideas for the past couple of years with Sonic Racing and Shadow the Hedgehog.

As for Mercenaries, the minute I head about this game originally I said this is perfect for a multiplayer game yet they never took advantage of that. Hopefully that's a big focus for them in the next gen verison.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
calder said:
:lol Nothing like making abso-goddamn-lutely that the job gets done.

sonarrat said:
Phantasy Star!

I would absolutely love to see a highend PS3 remake of Phantasy Star.

Phantasy Star: Generation 1, the Phantasy Star remake for PS2, was pretty weak. more like a PS1 game.

I would love to see a Phantastic remake done properly on PS3, that blows PS3 FFXIII away just like the original Phantasy Star blow FF1, FF2, FF3 away. although that's not quite fair because Phantasy Star was on the superior Master System while FF1-FF2-FF2 were on the older, weaker Famicom.

Raistlin

choplifter said:
I would absolutely love to see a highend PS3 remake of Phantasy Star.

Phantasy Star: Generation 1, the Phantasy Star remake for PS2, was pretty weak. more like a PS1 game.

So then the PS3 remake would be the PS2 one you always wanted? :lol

Syb

StarWars Battlefront III? Mercenaries II? Destroy All Humans II? Full Spectrum Warrior III?

So many 2's and 3's. @_@

Top Bottom