• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 pricing in Europe

C4Lukins

cyberheater said:
I can't believe the bitching and whining about the price here.

Everything about the console screams that it was never designed to be a cheap console.
Bluray/HDMI/60Gb HDD/Bluetooth etc...

$500 - $600 is cheap for what it offers.

I think the bitching has to do more with the price not being competitive with the 360. With all that is included with the system, I expected it to be this high, but even then I couldn't imagine Sony screwing itself like that. If it is indeed that high, they are essentially giving away next gen market share, and making the 360 appear that much more attractive to developers. Of course this could just end up being for the European audience, and that sucks for them if they get screwed over again.

Odysseus

Banned
AniHawk said:
Well, I wasn't really referring to Nintendo in my post. Strange of you to go there. Anyway, I meant as a whole, gaming is getting too expensive.

I blame everyone who didn't buy a Dreamcast. :mad:

I know you didn't go there, but I did. Just because.

And I *barely* escaped blame. [face_relieved] I bought a Dreamcast to play Crazy Taxi. It was to hold me over until GameCube, you see.

Memories.

Kolgar

C4Lukins said:
I think the bitching has to do more with the price not being competitive with the 360. With all that is included with the system, I expected it to be this high, but even then I couldn't imagine Sony screwing itself like that. If it is indeed that high, they are essentially giving away next gen market share, and making the 360 appear that much more attractive to developers. Of course this could just end up being for the European audience, and that sucks for them if they get screwed over again.

Maybe this is proof that Sony sees its main competition not as Xbox360, but as HD-DVD.

It's always been said that big consumer electronics companies like Sony were lured to the game biz not to become #1 in the games market, but because they wanted something bigger. Maybe now that PlayStation is one of the leading brands on the planet, Sony thinks it's got its ace in the hole for taking over the next-gen optical storage market, too. They stand to make a killing on royalties from Blu-ray movie sales--much more than they've made in the game industry, am I right?

Sony never wanted to rule the video game industry - they want to rule home entertainment in general.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
AniHawk said:
Well, I wasn't really referring to Nintendo in my post. Strange of you to go there. Anyway, I meant as a whole, gaming is getting too expensive. A Nintendo handheld launched at $150. A Sony handheld launched at $100 more. Handheld games are upwards of $40-$50. Standard game prices often reach $60 and (just once so far), $70. Controller prices are going up. Necessary add-ons are sky-high. It's such a waste nowadays. I felt remorse for plunking money down on my $300 PS2 (for which I had to purchase a memory card for and a couple games). The amount you have to spend to "get going" now is ridiculous.

I blame everyone who didn't buy a Dreamcast. :mad:

Ironically, practically all of those prices were the going rates of the day back in the late 80's/early 90's. Games on average were MORE than what they are today on an absolute scale, and that's with nearly 20 years of inflation on their side :lol

It's a marvel that we can get a collector's edition of a 200+hr adventure like Oblivion for only $70 when we were paying $100 for games like Phantasy Star.

GreekWolf

If the PS3 really does debut at $500 here in the United States, then I think you have a line divided right down the middle.

People who will run out and buy it -

* Early Adopters
* Sony loyalists

People who probably won't even think about buying it, until one or two price-drops

* Average Joe
* Soccer Moms

It will be interesting to see what happens. Sony isn't stupid, and doesn't want to price their machine completely out of Average Joe's budget, especially since he represents the largest piece of the pie.

GreekWolf said:
People who probably won't even think about buying it, until one or two price-drops

* Average Joe
* Soccer Moms

Well, then maybe there's a chance that the rest of us will actually be able to find a system this fall. Silver lining!

NWO

AdmiralViscen said:
Gaming isnt' getting expensive, home media hubs are getting expensive. If the PS3 would just play games we wouldn't have to pay out the ass for it.

Exactly.

GreekWolf said:
If the PS3 really does debut at $500 here in the United States, then I think you have a line divided right down the middle.

People who will run out and buy it -

* Early Adopters
* Sony loyalists

* Average Joe
* Soccer Moms

It will be interesting to see what happens. Sony isn't stupid, and doesn't want to price their machine completely out of Average Joe's budget, especially since he represents the largest piece of the pie.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. And in your second category, I would even put the casual or semi-casual gamer (unless "Average Joe" was supposed to encompass that already). If they price it at a point where only Sony loyalists are willing to pay for it, chances are it'll need a price cut a lot sooner after launch than the 360 will.

AniHawk

mashoutposse said:
Ironically, practically all of those prices were the going rates of the day back in the late 80's/early 90's. Games on average were MORE than what they are today on an absolute scale, and that's with nearly 20 years of inflation on their side :lol

It's a marvel that we can get a collector's edition of a 200+hr adventure like Oblivion for only $70 when we were paying $100 for games like Phantasy Star.

Fever-inspired rant ahoy!

I think it's even more ironic that the very companies responsible for lowering the price of gaming (Sony with software and hardware [DVD Player! Woo!], Microsoft with hardware too [so much power and stuff it does at a good price]), are the ones responsible for the sudden spike we're seeing now.

My question is, why should we throw our hands up and say, "oh well, that's the way things are now" when we're not being forced into something? People didn't rush out to buy a Sega Saturn when it came out because it was the newest thing on the market (its failure is attributed to other things, true, but price was a huge factor for a long time, and people did the right thing by saying they didn't want to spend that much for a video game system).

Newzboyz99

Losers! My wife has me on lock!
If ps3 is 500 or more here in the states Sony has just shot themselves in the foot. They do NOT need stuff like HDMI, BluRay, etc, IMHO. What Sony needed was a powerful, competent, well designed system that sells for a decent price (299-350 max).

Only thing Sony could have done worse was to go with carts. ;o

Why are xbots and ninthings complaining about the price of the PS3?

Oh yeah...

BTW... If anyone wants to, they can always just go out and buy a blu-ray player, an XBOX 360, and a wireless adaptor... for a low, low price of 1500 dollars.... oh and don't forget to upgrade your 20 gig to a 60 gig or higher for just 100-150 dollars more.

ionicbluebird said:

Oh yeah...

? People buy more than one console?

Newzboyz99 said:
Only thing Sony could have done worse was to go with carts. ;o

This is nowhere near that bungle even if it turns out to be true.

? People buy more than one console?

That's not my defenition of an xbot or ninthing.

What they do is come in threads like these and bitch and moan about what-have-you concerning a competitors product hoping to win some of the hearts and minds of the opposition over to their side....

that's my defenition.

Anyway... here's my reaction to this "news", for the sake of on-topikedness

I don't care... I'll buy it if it's 800 dollars.... because I want it.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
AniHawk said:
Fever-inspired rant ahoy!

I think it's even more ironic that the very companies responsible for lowering the price of gaming (Sony with software and hardware [DVD Player! Woo!], Microsoft with hardware too [so much power and stuff it does at a good price]), are the ones responsible for the sudden spike we're seeing now.

My question is, why should we throw our hands up and say, "oh well, that's the way things are now" when we're not being forced into something? People didn't rush out to buy a Sega Saturn when it came out because it was the newest thing on the market (its failure is attributed to other things, true, but price was a huge factor for a long time, and people did the right thing by saying they didn't want to spend that much for a video game system).

Nobody's taking unwarranted price increases sitting down. Actually, something very different is happening. We have people calling the X360 Core the "Retard Pack" despite the fact that it essentially includes everything that one expects of a state of the art just-launched $299 console. As gamers have gotten older and incomes have risen, priorities have changed.

Remember, this box has to last at least 5 years before we all get to experience that next big upgrade. In the whole scheme of things, an extra ~$100 over the 3-5 year life of a console is not that big of a deal anymore -- not when you're talking about the addition of some really compelling features/components. This past generation proved it -- wasn't it supposed to be a wrap for MS since Nintendo was coming in with a console $100 less than the competition? Sony was supposed to cover the highend (DVD/nextgen gaming/BC/Online/etc) and Nintendo the wallet-friendly game-only side; of course, things didn't work out like that at all. Instead, consumers went for the two higher priced, more complex consoles and largely ignored the cheap barebones option.

Yes, prices are generally going up with gaming. However, everything about the hobby is also becoming more robust; the value of the products are increasing with the price, which is a fair deal. You don't like how all the extra features jack up the price a bit? Fine. Consoles tend to sell consistently for 5+ years, so Sony and MS certainly don't need to bank on everyone agreeing to paying $400 on Day One. They understand that there are people like yourself who don't value all of the extra tech and would prefer to spend less, and there will most certainly be a time when they will drop the price to invite your demographic into the fold. Let them go for broke, though; it'll make the wait for PS4 and X720 that much easier :)

milanbaros

Member?
ionicbluebird said:
BTW... If anyone wants to, they can always just go out and buy a blu-ray player, an XBOX 360, and a wireless adaptor... for a low, low price of 1500 dollars.... oh and don't forget to upgrade your 20 gig to a 60 gig or higher for just 100-150 dollars more.

Errr....I thought the whole point was that people didn't want to have to pay for things like this in the PS3 and would rather have a cheaper, simpler console, if still at the same power.

Joe

if this is true (which i dont think it will be), microsofts hd-dvd add-on doesnt look like such a bad idea.

i cant wait to hear more about that btw.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ionicbluebird said:

Oh yeah...

Its a games console that happens to play bluray movies, not a bluray player that plays games. It (and sony) will live or die on whether millions of people buy it and lots of games.

bluray is a bonus feature - a big one, sure - but still a bonus.

If they sold it as a bluray player first and foremost, you'd have the whole of avsforum buying one then never buying any games for it (well, unless they release ISF calibration warrior)

loffer

Can´t belive som people in this thread....

Fact 1: Sony is going to sell every ps3 they put on the market before christmas if they sell it in this price range( 499-599 euro)

Fact 2: I am going to sell every ps3 I get hold on for at least 1000 euro on ebay (or swedish blocket.se)

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
AdmiralViscen said:
Gaming isnt' getting expensive, home media hubs are getting expensive. If the PS3 would just play games we wouldn't have to pay out the ass for it.

the media functions are probably part of how sony would justify a high price, but they wouldn't really contribute to ps3's expense -- cell and rsx handle the blu ray decoding, the br drive itself is needed or at least desirable for game storage, and a hard disk has a variety of gaming applications. the media functions are something the gaming hardware is basically capable of -- it's bonus functionality.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
If Sony actually goes ahead and sells it for anything comparable to $500 in the USA, I'm going to be very amazed.

I still can't believe folks are paying $400 for an Xbox 360.

Again, this somehow reminds me of the stupid "MULTIMEDIA REVOLUTION" in game systems, back in the mid-90's... prices were ramped up more and more, with the excuse given that they weren't just gaming machines anymore, but "multimedia devices". Impressively high hardware prices didn't seem to last in the long run, though.

I'm not going to pay more than $200-$250 for a new game system.

I'm finding it hard to believe that anything above $300 is a "mass market" price.

(As an extreme aside, what are current Xbox 360 sales like, anyway?)

ziran

it's still pretty vague, i can't imagine ps3 going on the market for more than $399. gi.biz has the same report on fornay's comments.
SCEE corporate communications director Nick Sharples said:
..."At no time did he suggest or indicate a specific price point or price range for PS3, and any reports that he did so are incorrect...

like many have said sony will be able to sell several million ps3s with literally any price, so i think it comes down to whether they want to make a bit of extra cash then quickly drop the price or have something they can maintain over a period of many months-year.

DavidDayton said:
If Sony actually goes ahead and sells it for anything comparable to $500 in the USA, I'm going to be very amazed.

Agreed. The impact of the 360 as a next gen platform just doesn't seem significantly greater, relative to what came before it, to justify the price tag. I think the graphics look wonderful as are the games, and that Live is an excellent service, but given the generation we just came from, it doesn't warrant the $400 price tag IMO. Of course, others who prefer the system more than me, will think otherwise. The most I'm paying for any console is $300, in the case of the PS3, maybe $400 but even then it depends on whether the HDD is included.

"At no time did he suggest or indicate a specific price point or price range for PS3, and any reports that he did so are incorrect."

Awesome.

ionicbluebird said:

Oh yeah...

Perhaps because ... I don't wanna spend €500 for a console? I don't need BluRay at the moment, actually I can't do anything with it because I don't have an HDTV. I will buy a BluRay or HD-DVD Player when they cost €200 at most (probably more in the range of €100) and combine that with an HDTV.

loffer said:
Can´t belive som people in this thread....

Fact 1: Sony is going to sell every ps3 they put on the market before christmas if they sell it in this price range( 499-599 euro)

But what happens after the Xmas fever has subsided? That kind of pricepoint, in the face of much more affordable competition from MS and Ninty, isn't gonna last much past the early adopter types.

Fact 2: I am going to sell every ps3 I get hold on for at least 1000 euro on ebay (or swedish blocket.se)

You and everyone else.

Jim

I don't know who came up with the idea previously, but Sony/MS/Nintendo need to just sell their initial batch of future consoles via eBay. Don't even set a price point... let the market take care of that itself :)

They'd make more money per unit, for the launch period, for sure. And it would take the scalpers out of the equation...

Not even close to realistic, I know, but imagine the chaos!

Xrenity

Statements made on French radio have been "mistranslated or misunderstood"

Comments made by Sony Computer Entertainment France boss Georges Fornay which appeared to indicate the price point for PlayStation 3 have been misinterpreted and do not allude to the price of the system, the company has told GamesIndustry.biz.

The idea that Fornay's mention of 499 to 599 Euro price ranges was an indication of the PS3's price point is "a mistranslation or misunderstanding of the discussion, which was actually focused on the relative value of PS3 as a Bluray Disc player," according to SCEE corporate communications director Nick Sharples.

The SCE France boss' discussion of the pricing on French radio station Europe 1 was focused on the fact that the PS3 would be priced very competitively compared to other Bluray products if it were to emerge at $500, but that this price point is well above the range of other game console products, according to Sharples.

"Mr Fornay explained that, with BD and HD functionality, PS3 at this price would be cheap for such functionality, but that current video games machines were significantly below this price," Sharples told GamesIndustry.biz.

"At no time did he suggest or indicate a specific price point or price range for PS3, and any reports that he did so are incorrect.

"He summarised by saying that PS3 would be expensive when one looked at the current price of a video games machine, at far below 500 Euros, but extremely good value when looking at the BD and HD technology inside," he concluded.

While Sharples' clarification of Fornay's comments doesn't actually shed any new light on the question of PlayStation 3's price point - the opposite, if anything - it does open up the possibility that the firm could be planning to introduce the console at a price lower than the 500 Euro / $500 mark.

When the company talks about "current video games machines," it is almost certainly excluding the Xbox 360 from the equation, and talking specifically about the PSP and PS2 platforms - with the implication being that the pricing will fall somewhere well above their price points (between 150 and 180 Euro) but well below the pricing of Bluray devices (between 600 and 800 Euro).

That's an enormous range, of course, but it does leave open the potential for the PS3 to launch at the 400 Euro price point - exactly the same space that was occupied by the Xbox 360 premium pack when it arrived late last year.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=15937

If someone think this deserves it own thread - open it.

rastex

Banned
So is this one of those cases where the more the company denies it, the likelier it is to be true? (like with FF13 PS3 exclusivity).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
rastex said:
So is this one of those cases where the more the company denies it, the likelier it is to be true? (like with FF13 PS3 exclusivity).

There's nothing to deny, you can listen to the interview yourself - he said exactly what SCEE said he said (bit of a mouthful :p). It's just a case of initial poor reporting + copy-and-paste internet journalism.

Deg

Banned
The people in this thread complaining about prices aren't any different from when the PSP and PS2 were being priced. Sony can sell all they like in Europe while MS and Nintendo are still learning what the concept of localisation is.

loffer

MightyHedgehog said:
But what happens after the Xmas fever has subsided? That kind of pricepoint, in the face of much more affordable competition from MS and Ninty, isn't gonna last much past the early adopter types.

Well of course, if it not continue to sell out, Sony will lower the price, they are not stupid are they?

That's about £427-£512 in Britain. So I'd guess that means it's gonna go for £450 or £500, more likely the latter.

Don't worry though. Historically, America has always gotten its consoles cheaper than us poor Europeans. The N64 was $299 on release in America and £299 in Blighty. The PS2 was the same, $299/£299. For some reason, they don't like taking exhange rates into account when it comes to Europe and America. They just charge us more buck for the same amount of bang.

So rest assured, if the PS3 is released in Europe for 500 euros, you guys will probably be getting it for about $500.

Shoddy, sensationalist reporting, thats for sure. It's like the media really has it in for Sony and the PS3, guess it raped their mother or something.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Killuminati510 said:
Don't worry though. Historically, America has always gotten its consoles cheaper than us poor Europeans. The N64 was $299 on release in America and £299 in Blighty. The PS2 was the same, $299/£299. For some reason, they don't like taking exhange rates into account when it comes to Europe and America. They just charge us more buck for the same amount of bang.

No it wasn't.

Deg

Banned
loffer said:
Well of course, if it not continue to sell out, Sony will lower the price, they are not stupid are they?

Dont you get it? Sony will never ever lower the price of PS3. Ever.

:p

123rl

DavidDayton said:
No it wasn't.

How much was it in America? Because it was £250 in Britain and I thought it was $250 in America

Totally OT but the N64 was the fastest console to drop its price in Britain:lol It took less than three weeks for it to drop to £200

People in Britain will not tolerate a £500 price tag. There is NO way it's going to sell at that kind of money. I want the PS3 to do well but Sony will be just giving the console race to Microsoft if they do this

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
123rl said:
How much was it in America? Because it was £250 in Britain and I thought it was $250 in America

Totally OT but the N64 was the fastest console to drop its price in Britain:lol It took less than three weeks for it to drop to £200

People in Britain will not tolerate a £500 price tag. There is NO way it's going to sell at that kind of money. I want the PS3 to do well but Sony will be just giving the console race to Microsoft if they do this
The N64 was $199 US when it was released.

123rl

Really? I don't know what the exchange rate was back then, but I'd say Nintendo were charging Britain well over twice the amount they were charging Americans. lol, I still remember buying the N64 launch issue of ONM and they were saying how it's worth £250:D They also said you shouldn't import one because your games will run too fast! :lol :lol

Kroole

123rl said:
Really? I don't know what the exchange rate was back then, but I'd say Nintendo were charging Britain well over twice the amount they were charging Americans. lol, I still remember buying the N64 launch issue of ONM and they were saying how it's worth £250:D They also said you shouldn't import one because your games will run too fast! :lol :lol

Seems strange. Are you sure it didn't retail for a little under 200£? Here in Sweden it wasn't that expensive.

About the games running faster. If you imported they did run faster, only because Nintendo64 games ran slower per default in the PAL format (cheap 60Hz->50Hz conversion).

123rl

No it was definitely £250. I remember because games cost £60 and Toys R Us had a deal for the console plus any game for £300 :D

I know why they said games ran too fast (for the reason you say). But it's not because the NTSC games are too fast, it's because the PAL games are slower :D I just thought it was pretty funny that they would try and spin that into saying that the PAL versions are the correct speed, and the NTSC games are too fast.

Kroole

123rl said:
No it was definitely £250. I remember because games cost £60 and Toys R Us had a deal for the console plus any game for £300 :D

I know why they said games ran too fast (for the reason you say). But it's not because the NTSC games are too fast, it's because the PAL games are slower :D I just thought it was pretty funny that they would try and spin that into saying that the PAL versions are the correct speed, and the NTSC games are too fast.

Man, you guys got ripped off. Here we have a VAT of 25% and still got it alot cheaper than you guys. Seems strange as electronics are usually cheaper in GB than here.

123rl

When it dropped to £200 it was probably to bring it closer to the price throughout the rest of Europe. Nintendo only shipped 20,000 consoles for launch though so it's not like a lot of people were ripped off :D (they were all offered £50 of stuff for free though - either a pad plus a memory card or a £50 game)

Kroole said:
Man, you guys got ripped off.

That's our national motto.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
tsp_gatmog said:
$500 is the most anyone in the US will pay. Period.

I expect to see launch PS3 machines on ebay for $1000 and selling like hotcakes. It would not surprise me if there is a shortage in the UK then we'll see machines on ebay for 1000 pounds.

Top Bottom