• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 v2.70 walkthrough up!

.GqueB. said:
Im wondering when PS3 doesnt get voice chat and cross game invites, will the bitching shift to "why doesnt XBL have the laundry list of things that PSN has and why am I still paying for it"?
Que?

.GqueB. said:
Im wondering when PS3 does get voice chat and cross game invites, will the bitching shift to "why doesnt XBL have the laundry list of things that PSN has and why am I still paying for it"?

Isn't that what drives progress?

Thrakier

Chrange said:
Great comparison. Really.

If every phone call had to be done via fax... how awesome would that be?
:lol

Yeah, I guess you know what I mean. If not, I can't change it. Whatever. It's just not nice to come in this tread and start making jokes about everyone who likes this feature. I have my reasons and I think it's pretty awesome to have three chatrooms always filled with nice guys from my message boards when I fire up my PS3.

Aselith

.GqueB. said:
Im wondering when PS3 doesnt get voice chat and cross game invites, will the bitching shift to "why doesnt XBL have the laundry list of things that PSN has and why am I still paying for it"?

What laundry list? A web browser? Playstation games?

Snipes424

I'm just curious, but when/if voice chat and cross game invites are added to the PSN, then what will the whiners whine about next? It seems like it's the cool thing to do to bitch about something Sony is doing wrong. For example, it first started that the PS3 was priced too high, then it quickly went to the PS3 has zero games, then it went to the PSN sucks! and now it's a full circle back to the PS3 is priced too high... meanwhile there is an argument that the wii is overpriced since Nintendo is making a nice profit on each system and not to mention the RROD problem with the 360, price gouging of it's wireless NIC adapters/HDDs... But that's not the cool thing to do I guess.

Thrakier said:
It's just not nice to come in this tread and start making jokes about everyone who likes this feature.

You're complaining about people making jokes and at the same time calling the people who disagree with you 'whiners'? :lol

.GqueB.

Banned
Aselith said:
All the crap that TTP listed basically and a lot that Im sure he missed (because I still dont know what this thing is capable of quite honestly).

gregor7777 said:
Isn't that what drives progress?
Yes. And Im just wondering WILL that actually happen or will XBL users somehow find a way to continue bitching.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Is anyone surprised that the 360 OS is far far better than the PS3 ?
Im not.

.GqueB. said:
Yes. And Im just wondering WILL that actually happen or will XBL users somehow find a way to continue bitching.

I don't think there's too many Live-only users here. Most of us own the PS3 and want it to improve.

.GqueB.

Banned
Fersis said:
Is anyone surprised that the 360 OS is far far better than the PS3 ?
Im not.
Im constantly surprised that people are surprised. MS is a software company. Thats what they do. Its hardware theyre no good at. Its sad waiting for my 360 to die. I know its gonna happen soon too. Its the wait that hurts the most and knowing that itll probably happen when Bioshock or Mass Effect comes out.

.GqueB. said:
All the crap that TTP listed basically and a lot that Im sure he missed (because I still dont know what this thing is capable of quite honestly).

I don't own a xbox

... my man.

Aselith said:
They probably will not complain as much about the laundry list as they will just say "Why am I paying a subscription fee for this shit?"

tzare

gregor7777 said:
I don't think there's too many Live-only users here. Most of us own the PS3 and want it to improve.

and that is what they do with every new fw. I also would like to have a web browser on my 360 but i did not see it appear in the atest update, or i find it much more useful than all that avatar thing. But things are just like they are, and i see more likely to have voice chat on ps3 than explorer on 360. Even DSi has one.

vilmer_

Anyone who's had a PS3 since launch knows how much of a HUGE improvement the PSN has become. Any new features are welcome features. It's taken some time, but it's come a freaking long way. I have my eye on the clock guy though...

.GqueB.

Banned
vilmer_ said:
Anyone who's had a PS3 since launch knows how much of a HUGE improvement the PSN has become. Any new features are welcome features. It's taken some time, but it's come a freaking long way. I have my eye on the clock guy though...
lol I didnt notice that clock thing until this update where someone provided pics. Now I cant unsee it :lol

ayrkain said:
I'm not assuming any motive. I just asked a question.

ah ok, fair enough. Had an account on my college roommate's x-box, and had planned on getting a 360... but decided not to. Too lazy to take it down

... my man.

Ploid 3.0

spwolf said:
you are talking nonsense. Sony can make shitload of money by charging for PSN.
They chose to go different route.

In fact, why couldnt Sony force future developers to have mandatory features? They could, they just dont want to.

Don't the developers like the openess of PSN? Like Unreal 3, they are able to allow mods to be used on PS3 version.

spwolf

Ploid 3.0 said:
Don't the developers like the openess of PSN? Like Unreal 3, they are able to allow mods to be used on PS3 version.

of course they do, thats the whole point of it... I am answering to chubingans who thinks things are set it stone, they are not. Changes are simply not retroactive.

Maybe its because I am european, but I didnt use voice chat ever on PSN or Skype, while i use IM 18 hours every day.

dfyb

Banned
the text chat is nothing short of badass. only real complaint is that the word filter isn't optional. basically lets us set up mini-irc channels. the GAF SFIV channel is always populated and active.

TEXTCHATDEFENSE.jpg

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
One little thing I just noticed about txt chat.

If you receive a chat invite while offline, when you log in a) you get the notification and b) the room the invite came from shows up in the chat rooms list.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The feature per footprint argument is reasonable though..

However, the PS3 situation has been improving there. I don't know what the latest situation is, but the features have been going up and the memory cost down.

There are features PS3's in-game XMB could do with borrowing from 360's mini-blade (like x-game voice chat, and invites perhaps). I'd also say party management, but I'm not sure if the existing 'PSN IRC' + perhaps invites, would render that a bit redundant as a seperate feature.. as is you can now form a group that the system remembers you're a part of across games..invites would make it easy then to pull people in that group into games together automagically.

Music..I think the in-game XMB accomodates that now? But devs have to allow it in their game? I thought it was initially said the in-game XMB now carries the memory cost of that (i.e. at no cost to the developer), but I'm not sure if that was confirmed or not..

Conversely, I think there's a couple of ideas the mini-blade could borrow from the in-game XMB..like 'game hopping' and now (yes) the IRC style chatrooms. I've also found the in-game XMB to be more responsive, but people seem to report varying degrees of lag with the mini-blades so..

In terms of which is 'more impressive' or whatever..I think 8-way voice chat is probably the more difficult thing to accomplish (vs say, the IRC style stuff), and probably was the most difficult aspect for MS even when making the in-game OS, so I'd give the mini-blades the nod there for that.

Tntnnbltn

gofreak said:
Music..I think the in-game XMB accomodates that now? But devs have to allow it in their game? I thought it was initially said the in-game XMB now carries the memory cost of that (i.e. at no cost to the developer), but I'm not sure if that was confirmed or not..
Pretty sure that it still requires memory resources. The only difference is that now devs don't have to code any programming interface for music selection, etc, making it easier to implement.

klee123 said:
More features using less RAM. Such as constant voice chat and custom soundtracks

Actually if there's something TTP's post proved is that there are actually more features on PSN. It just depends on what you prefer. And btw how do you know how much RAM each console uses currently?

matticus

.GqueB. said:
Im constantly surprised that people are surprised. MS is a software company. Thats what they do. Its hardware theyre no good at. Its sad waiting for my 360 to die. I know its gonna happen soon too. Its the wait that hurts the most and knowing that itll probably happen when Bioshock or Mass Effect comes out.

Eh ... Their software is never great though, but it usually gets the job done

iceatcs

Damn, I'm really fall in love with this text chat, so thank god it isn't voice chat. (being Deaf, so voice is totally useless). There could be more improvement but voice, you can't improve their voices..

I think I will arrange Text Chat Defense Force seriously. Like make sure Sony going to improve the chat in the future, and ensure that they didn't work on voice.

Voice only fanboys, BACK OFF VOICEBOT!!!!! If touch my keyboard again, I will seriously kill you.

Text fanboy, there is a badge of Text Chat Defense Force.
28b9z89.gif

XTERC

Wow the trophy stuff is much faster.

Quick Question: Has the time remaining always appeared above a download bar? (didn't see any mention of it in the OP, so I assume it was there before)

XTERC said:
Wow the trophy stuff is much faster.

Quick Question: Has the time remaining always appeared above a download bar? (didn't see any mention of it in the OP, so I assume it was there before)

No, that's new, too.

Returners

It seems to me that Platinums might not count towards the overall percentage anymore.

I'm playing QoS with 1 gold, 1 silver and 2 bronzes left to go and it shows me as 70%. (which I had never seen before)

Top Bottom