• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 YLODed so looking for a replacement: Slim or Super Slim?

Priz

I have an original Fat PS3 with full BC and love it. Worked fine until a few days ago where I came home from work and it started having issues and 10 minutes later was YLODing.

I found someone locally on Craigslist who was able to fix it for $35 and that's great but I know it's not going to last forever, so I've started looking at replacement units. I look at the Super Slim and how the tray slams open and the design and worry about design/build quality. The Slim looks similar to the original... but outside of that, I know nothing about how one differs from the other so I figured I'd ask NeoGAF...

Anyone have anything positive/negative to say about the Slim or Super Slim? Should I go with a Super Slim since it's readily available everywhere? Or should I track down the harder to find Slim (which I still see a few new ones available, but only a few places...)?

Thanks in advance for any input that can be provided to help me get a reliable replacement!

Arozay

Slim. They are reliable, never had to send it in. Doesn't make loud noises really.

Mine used to creak from heat expansion till I just recently loosened the screws beneath it. Had it for 3 years prior to doing so...

Hoarr

Neo Member
I have an original Fat PS3 with full BC and love it. Worked fine until a few days ago where I came home from work and it started having issues and 10 minutes later was YLODing.

I found someone locally on Craigslist who was able to fix it for $35 and that's great but I know it's not going to last forever, so I've started looking at replacement units. I look at the Super Slim and how the tray slams open and the design and worry about design/build quality. The Slim looks similar to the original... but outside of that, I know nothing about how one differs from the other so I figured I'd ask NeoGAF...

Anyone have anything positive/negative to say about the Slim or Super Slim? Should I go with a Super Slim since it's readily available everywhere? Or should I track down the harder to find Slim (which I still see a few new ones available, but only a few places...)?

Thanks in advance for any input that can be provided to help me get a reliable replacement!

I had the same thing happen to me recently and just shelled out $300 for the pure-white Slim that came out a couple months ago with 500 GB. Seems to work fine, but it's a completely different design that the PS3 Slim model. This machine has a sliding door that hides the disc drive on the top of the machine. Very weird:

tumblr_mk33fw2y4G1r15h74o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mk33fw2y4G1r15h74o2_500.jpg

I'm also stuck with a repaired YLOD Fat PS3 model now too. I'm thinking about just giving it to a friend, but I'm not too sure if that system will even last much longer. Would kind of suck to receive a free PS3, only to have it break on you within a week.

DigitalOp

Banned
I got into the PS3 with the 1st Slim. Has not failed me yet. I haven't got to compare it to the Super Slim hands on yet but I love my PS3 Slim.

Doesn't have that much heft, You can still tote it around to friends house for example. Mine hasn't made one peep since I got it.

When did I get it? Damn.... I wanna say Q1 2010... Feels like forever! :p

I had the same thing happen to me recently and just shelled out $300 for the pure-white Slim that came out a couple months ago with 500 GB. Seems to work fine, but it's a completely different design that the PS3 Slim model. This machine has a sliding door that hides the disc drive on the top of the machine. Very weird:

tumblr_mk33fw2y4G1r15h74o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mk33fw2y4G1r15h74o2_500.jpg

I'm also stuck with a repaired YLOD Fat PS3 model now too. I'm thinking about just giving it to a friend, but I'm not too sure if that system will even last much longer. Would kind of suck to receive a free PS3, only to have it break on you within a week.

Joke post? If not you have a Super slim my friend not a Slim PS3.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I've never had any creaking/popping heat expansion noises on my slim. I'd go for the slim over the super-slim - it just feels better quality

maverick40

Get the super slim in white. They look slick as hell and they are cheap. Some deals (europe) you get the 500Gb console and two controllers for €249

Baleoce

Save your cash and bank on your refurbished original PS3 lasting a long time, assuming the craigslist guy did a good job on it. There's no need to buy a slim/super slim. Also, save for PS4. It seems like an unnecessary purchase especially at this time in gen cycle. They tend to YLOD because of the quality of thermal paste in the original units not doing its job properly, making it overheat, but once refurbished with new paste, if you make sure the room is sufficiently ventilated and the console has enough space to breath, you shouldn't see it again. You love the fact that your PS3 has full BC so you're best off sticking with that.

Rootbeer

Banned
Slim all the way. It's no contest, really. Super-slim only if you can't find a slim anywhere (personally, I wouldn't buy used but that's up to you)

I think with each iteration of the Slim, Sony kept cutting back costs.
For example. The first Slim (late 2009) the chrome finish on the disc bay and possibly even quality of the plastic was decent. Then the next iterations removed the chrome finish for regular plastic, possibly thinner shell, about 1/2 shorter power cord supplied, cheaper/thinner shell feeling DualShock3 packaged, etc. Then we have the 2012 Super Slim which cuts out the insertion disc drive and replaces with a manual top loader, etc.

As far as reliability...the best PS3 models are probably second iteration of the original Slims. Not sure with all the cutting back the Super Slim is more reliable or not. I think cost cutting was more important than stabilizing console longevity.

Save your cash and bank on your refurbished original PS3 lasting a long time, assuming the craigslist guy did a good job on it. There's no need to buy a slim/super slim. Also, save for PS4. It seems like an unnecessary purchase especially at this time in gen cycle.

Unnecessary? You do know PS4 won't have disc or digital BC? If anything, this is the best time to jump aboard current gen if you haven't yet. Catch up with games you wanted to play for the months leading up to this fall. I can only imagine how overwhelming it would be to not having played any of PS3's exclusives with PS4 out too.

And the original 60GB PS3s are over their time. Regularly used ones since launch all were dying 3-4 years ago or even before. Buying one now would be a ticking time bomb with a very short fuse. Sure, have one on the side if PS2 BC is important (that way it's used minimally so it won't die as quick; and there were many rumors in the past that were saying higher end PS3 games were the thing pushing the original fat PS3s to their knees...not PS2 BC), but for main PS3 gaming, Slim PS3 or Super Slim PS3 is the answer. Also note all PS3s have full PS1 disc BC.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
It doesn't matter just get either one.

Baleoce

Unnecessary? You do know PS4 won't have disc or digital BC? If anything, this is the best time to jump aboard current gen if you haven't yet. Catch up with games you wanted to play for the months leading up to this fall. I can only imagine how overwhelming it would be to not having played any of PS3's exclusives with PS4 out too.

And the original 60GB PS3s are over their time. Regularly used ones since launch all were dying 3-4 years ago or even before. Buying one now would be a ticking time bomb with a very short fuse. Sure, have one on the side if PS2 BC is important (that way it's used minimally so it won't die as quick; and there were many rumors in the past that were saying higher end PS3 games were the thing pushing the original fat PS3s to their knees...not PS2 BC), but for main PS3 gaming, Slim PS3 or Super Slim PS3 is the answer. Also note all PS3s have full PS1 disc BC.

Err, he still has his original PS3, refurbished. That isn't a general statement, I'm talking about him in particular.

The Lamp

I would say just get it fixed at somewhere like endless electronics.org they fixed mine and offer lifetime ylod warranties with repair and are cheaper than a new console or Sony's repair.

If you really want a new console try to find the OG slim and not the super slim imo.

Err, he still has his original PS3, refurbished. That isn't a general statement, I'm talking about him in particular.

He doesn't have a working PS3. And suggesting a ticking time bomb (refurbishing or buying a different refurbished 60GB fat) for future PS3 play is not reliable or smart. Saving for PS4 will do nothing for PS3 games, since they aren't playable. He needs to get a Slim or Super Slim to ensure future reliability to play PS3 games.

Baleoce

He doesn't have a working PS3. And suggesting a ticking time bomb (refurbishing or buying a different refurbished 60GB fat) for future PS3 play is not reliable or smart. Saving for PS4 will do nothing for PS3 games, since they aren't playable. He needs to get a Slim or Super Slim to ensure future reliability to play PS3 games.

I found someone locally on Craigslist who was able to fix it for $35 and that's great but I know it's not going to last forever

Wait, his past tense is confusing me here, he makes it sound like he's already had the refurbishment done.. Is that not the case?

I have a slim but white super slim >>>> slim.

Looks amazing and is cheaper.

235384-P9190013%20copy.jpg

You must be joking. Matte white plastic, slot-loading drive, colored PS logo, chrome trim, matte silver buttons with blue/green LED indicators and backlit with white LEDs.

VS

Glossy slab of white plastic, ribbed in the middle.

You must be joking. Matte white plastic, slot-loading drive, colored PS logo, chrome trim, matte silver buttons with blue/green LED indicators and backlit with white LEDs.

VS

Glossy slab of white plastic, ribbed in the middle.

Remember that the chrome trim was only in the first iteration(s) of the Slim, Sony removed it (among other tweaks, the blue LED disc drive indicator was also removed) to cut costs, and it's just regular (shiny) plastic in later Slim iterations. The colored PS logo was only on the fats I believe.

And the White Super Slim doesn't look too bad, the ridges remind me of the original PS2 in a way. But the best looking Slim overshadows it I'd say, yeah.

Priz

He's saying he saw a page of someone offering to refurbish, not that he did got it refurbished.
Sorry, been swamped at work/with other stuff so only wrote the OP up quickly and didn't get a chance to revise it.

I paid the $35 and it's working now, but when I went to pick it up, the guy wanted to level with me and tell me what I essentially already knew - this quick fix wouldn't last forever. Up to 90 days if it occurs again, he'll fix it for free as many times as need be; after that I would have to pay again. He told me the shortest time he's seen a system last is 1 month and that was a refurbished that already had someone else work on it. The longest he's heard of is two years.

So even if I get a year or so out of it, I will probably have to replace it. I have quite the PS3 backlog (and a few PS1/PS2 games I still like to play) so I'd like to tackle what I can with it. I'm just thinking that if I wait I'll only be able to get Super Slims and if the quality on those is poor... should I jump on a slim now or wait... maybe at E3 they'll even announce a price drop on the PS3 and I'll be able to get a new system even cheaper... but that's the whole reason I'm asking.

tl;dr: I have a working PS3, now on borrowed time... but want to know if the quality is good/bad on the Super Slim compared to the Slim that I should buy a Slim now or wait for the system to die and buy a replacement at that time.

As a previous Slim owner and a current super Slim owner -Run run run to the Slim and run the hell away from the Super Slim. It is awful. It feels cheap, it is cheap, and its loud as hell. The only advantage it holds over the Slim is it's smaller and weighs less. So ask yourself how often you put your console under your arm and walk around with it, and then decide. The reason I got the Super Slim is because it came with UC1/2 and inFAMOUS 1/2 plus 3 months of + for 179 on Black Friday.

God, everytime I read threads like this I feel so sad that invariably, my glorious 60GB fat PS3 is going to kick the bucket someday. :(

Ramune

Wait, in another thread not too long ago, someone mentioned the "reballing" fix, which was a more permanent fix than the quick fix (reflow). Either not to many people know about it or was it GAF hype?

These were the two places someone linked for examples:

http://ps3repairman.com/ps3-repair-services/ps3-reballing-service
http://www.sudburymods.com/repairs.html

Hopefully we can determine if this is the best way to go, so you can save money and say, get more PS3 games while saving for PS4 right? And I'm guessing there's no way to tell what OG slim your getting now a days yeah? I'm in the same boat as OP, and wouldn't mind keeping my 80GB partial BC FAT tbh.

tha_devil

MY ps3 ylod as well...i went for a white super slim with god of war controller :)

looks great, although its really more of a toy compared to ps3 phat.

Top Bottom