• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(PS3Linux) Open Platform for PS3 - site open with instructions

mackaveli

rugbyspartan said:
Quick question for someone. I installed Fedora and got that all working fine. I'm trying to install Yellow Dog now instead. For some reason the Bootloader from the Terrasoftsolutions.com/support/installation/ps3/otheros.bld link keeps coming up as corrupt when I try to use it for installing. I select install other os on my ps3, it recognizes the file (I do have the bootloader from sony on there as well otheros.self) and when it tries, it gives a corrupt file message. Anyone have the same issue? Fix?

i had the same problem you did.
try this one here http://ps3.jim.sh/otheros/

if that doesn't work, im to lazy right now to search but if you search for posts created by me, there is one that asks for linux help and only 2 posts, the user there posted the correct one to use and it works perfectly fine.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
mackaveli said:
any advances on YDL on ps3?
people get wireless to work??

Oh good. I thought I was clueless. Anyone got any idea how to make the ps3 recognize it's own Wireless card in Linux? Or is it ethernet only?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This is pretty interesting:

http://home.businesswire.com/portal...d=news_view&newsId=20070111005836&newsLang=en

RapidMind and Terra Soft Partner to Unleash PlayStation®3 for Linux Developers

WATERLOO, Ontario--(BUSINESS WIRE)--RapidMind and Terra Soft announced today that they have teamed up to make application development for the PlayStation®3 easier than ever. As part of an agreement with Sony Computer Entertainment Incorporated, Terra Soft Solutions announced last month the release of Yellow Dog Linux for the PlayStation 3. With the RapidMind Development Platform, developers can easily create applications that will run on the PlayStation 3, as well as other hardware solutions based on the Cell Broadband Engine™ (Cell BE).

RapidMind will be providing a full-featured evaluation version of the RapidMind Development Platform v2.0 for distribution from Terra Soft's YDL.net Enhanced accounts. “It’s exciting to imagine what will happen when you put a supercomputer-class PlayStation 3 with a great OS into the hands of developers,” said Ray DePaul, RapidMind President and CEO. “Developers are eager to take advantage of the Cell BE and the PlayStation 3 without the need to understand the underlying architecture of this complex multi-core processor. The RapidMind platform makes that possible.”

PlayStation 3 is the latest interactive entertainment console from Sony, designed for a cutting-edge gaming experience. The PlayStation 3 incorporates the Cell BE processor which was created by IBM, Sony, and Toshiba for more than gaming. The Cell BE is already available from IBM in the form of a blade for the IBM® BladeCenter® Server as well as from Mercury Computer Systems in several form factors.

“The PlayStation 3 places a supercomputer in the home,” said Kai Staats, Terra Soft CEO. “Yellow Dog Linux provides a complete Linux OS for the PlayStation 3 resulting in a very powerful computing platform. We are thrilled to be working with RapidMind to make this platform more accessible for professional developers and hobbyists alike.” Developer’s now have an excellent development platform to develop applications for the Cell BE, whether for deployment on the PlayStation 3 or as a jumping off point for deployments to other Cell BE based products, including those from IBM, Sony, or Mercury.

RapidMind will also be participating in a Hack-a-thon (www.hpc-consortium.net) from January 20th to the 26th for the optimization of applications for the Cell BE, hosted by Terra Soft at their Loveland, Colorado headquarters. RapidMind, along with organizations such as Argonne, Oak Ridge, Colorado State, IBM, Mercury, and Tungsten Graphics have committed resources with dozens of other labs, universities, and individuals planning to participate. The intent of this event is to create a set of application examples to showcase the potential of the Cell BE.

About RapidMind Inc.

RapidMind provides a software development platform that allows software vendors to deliver high performance on multi-core and stream processors, including the GPU and the Cell BE. Without sacrificing development simplicity, RapidMind-enabled applications experience a dramatic leap in performance. For more information on RapidMind, visit www.RapidMind.net.

About Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.

As the recognized leader in Linux for Power since 1999, Terra Soft provides turn-key, integrated solutions built upon IBM, Mercury, and Sony systems, board support packages for Power OEMs, and cross-architecture Linux applications for high performance computing. Terra Soft develops Yellow Dog Linux, the leading 32/64-bit Linux OS for the Power architecture, first to market with support for the Cell processor; the Y-HPC cross-architecture cluster construction suite; and Y-Bio, a cross-architecture gene sequence analysis suite for both workstations and clusters. For more information, visit www.terrasoftsolutions.com

Not sure what the limitations are on the evaluation version etc. but a friend of mine was at a recent IBM presentation, and he was pretty impressed by the stuff Rapidmind was presenting. Could be fun to play around with at least..

edit - here are some older whitepapers/case studies on Rapidmind's site:

Writing Applications for the Cell BE Using RapidMind
This document provides a description of how the RapidMind Development Platform makes programming the Cell Broadband Engine accessible and effective.
http://media.rapidmind.net/wp/cell.pdf

Cell BE Porting and Tuning with RapidMind: A Case Study
This document shows how an application was ported to and tuned for the Cell Broadband Engine processor with RapidMind, achieving impressive speed results.
http://www.rapidmind.net/cellbe-porting-qjulia

Crowd Simulation: Cell BE Development Made Simple

Developing a simulation of many thousand characters, each with a mind of their own, is usually a complex task. It requires a large amount of computing power and normally involves a serious effort from the developer in order to achieve reasonable performance. Utilizing the RapidMind Development Platform and the Cell Broadband Engine (Cell BE), achieving excellent performance of this simulation is made simple.
http://media.rapidmind.net/samples/crowds.pdf

Real-time Ray Tracing

RTT AG provides a high-performance, real-time ray tracer, RealTrace, as part of DeltaGen, their software for complex 3D visualization. A leading global provider of visualization in the automotive, aerospace and consumer goods sector, RTT created the ray tracer using the RapidMind Development Platform running on graphics processing units (GPUs). This application was then demonstrated at SIGGRAPH 2006 on the Cell Broadband Engine, achieving excellent performance.

http://media.rapidmind.net/samples/RapidMind_Raytracer_Demo.pdf

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Very interesting.
But I don't really understand what Sony has to win with this, at least for the moment. These tools basically make sure that some people will buy PS3s for the sole purpose of running Linux full time. So it's a total loss for Sony, considering the system costs more in manufacturing than the retail price.
On one side they more or less make sure that PS3 Linux is useless for those like me who would dual boot all the time by forbidding access to the RSX, and on the other side we get stuff like this for the non-gamer crowd.
Strange.

RuGalz

Blimblim said:
Very interesting.
But I don't really understand what Sony has to win with this, at least for the moment. These tools basically make sure that some people will buy PS3s for the sole purpose of running Linux full time. So it's a total loss for Sony, considering the system costs more in manufacturing than the retail price.
On one side they more or less make sure that PS3 Linux is useless for those like me who would dual boot all the time by forbidding access to the RSX, and on the other side we get stuff like this for the non-gamer crowd.
Strange.
Simple, the more machines are sold the easier it is to convince content providers that there's a "potential market". And when there's more content, there's also more potential buyers. That's always been how the market work.

RSX, please. :(

Who knows... this *might* help... http://www.pledgebank.com/nouveaudriver

tjhooker

Banned
Blimblim said:
Very interesting.
But I don't really understand what Sony has to win with this
Strange.

You're looking at it from a narrow perspective of gaming.

Gaming content is perhaps 1/3 or 1/4 of Sony's aims for PS3.

It has much broader ramifications.

For example, open source developer support for Sony's architecture may bring about enough CELL optimised apps in time for Sony to ship a full consumer-centric linux-based OS for PS4.

There are many more advantages from getting developers on board of course - especially at this early stage of the console's life.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
RuGalz said:
Simple, the more machines are sold the easier it is to convince content providers that there's a "potential market". And when there's more content, there's also more potential buyers. That's always been how the market work.
Well, I think the publishers have started to notice that thing called the systems/games sold ratio too. Imagine of somebody bought 10000 PS3 to create an amazingly powerful supercomputer. They have everything available to do so right now, but I don't think it would help Sony in the long run atall. They'd have lost something like $2 millions (assuming they lose $200 per PS3 now) and the attach rate would just go (slightly) down too.
Except for its form factor, PS3 is pretty much a perfect clustering machine. Gigabit ethernet, incredibly powerful processor, and very cheap compared to a regular PC server. For stuff requiring lots of math calculation, it's a total bargain.
tjhooker said:
You're looking at it from a narrow perspective of gaming.

Gaming content is perhaps 1/3 or 1/4 of Sony's aims for PS3.

It has much broader ramifications.

For example, open source developer support for Sony's architecture may bring about enough CELL optimised apps in time for Sony to ship a full consumer-centric linux-based OS for PS4.

There are many more advantages from getting developers on board of course - especially at this early stage of the console's life.
All I'm seeing is that Sony, right now, sells the PS3 at a big loss. If they so want to get into that market then they should release a cell based system at mostly the same price, without RSX and the Blu-ray drive in a more convenient form factor.

RuGalz

Blimblim said:
Well, I think the publishers have started to notice that thing called the systems/games sold ratio too. Imagine of somebody bought 10000 PS3 to create an amazingly powerful supercomputer. They have everything available to do so right now, but I don't think it would help Sony in the long run atall. They'd have lost something like $2 millions (assuming they lose $200 per PS3 now) and the attach rate would just go (slightly) down too.
Except for its form factor, PS3 is pretty much a perfect clustering machine. Gigabit ethernet, incredibly powerful processor, and very cheap compared to a regular PC server. For stuff requiring lots of math calculation, it's a total bargain.

All I'm seeing is that Sony, right now, sells the PS3 at a big loss. If they so want to get into that market then they should release a cell workstation at mostly the same price, without RSX and the BD drive in a more convenient form factor.
By content provider I didn't really mean just the game providers. It's pretty obvious that Sony wish to evolve to something more than just games when the timing is right; be it one entertainment box that has everything or separate products. But you have to do it in baby steps to see how market react and figure out the potential growth. I think in a way it's kind of like the open source community approach.

Does losing money per unit sell really matter as much as you think? Would X360 be as successful now hadn't MS pushed Xbox1 even though they were losing money all that time? It's really about long term investment, not short term.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
RuGalz said:
By content provider I didn't really mean just the game providers. It's pretty obvious that Sony wish to evolve to something more than just games when the timing is right; be it one entertainment box that has everything or separate products. But you have to do it in baby steps to see how market react and figure out the potential growth. I think in a way it's kind of like the open source community approach.
I understand that and I'm totally fine with it. Being a Linux user myself I sure want it to become more popular. The only thing I wonder about is why Sony did it right at launch. At launch they are using lots of money on each unit, it's supposed to be difficult to buy, and it's basically useless for your average guy anyway. Why not wait for the manufacturing prices to go down and then put the whole Linux stuff online? My issue is only with the timing, not with the actual idea.

RuGalz

Blimblim said:
I understand that and I'm totally fine with it. Being a Linux user myself I sure want it to become more popular. The only thing I wonder about is why Sony did it right at launch. At launch they are using lots of money on each unit, it's supposed to be difficult to buy, and it's basically useless for your average guy anyway. Why not wait for the manufacturing prices to go down and then put the whole Linux stuff online? My issue is only with the timing, not with the actual idea.
Well, I think the percentage of people who would rush out to buy a PS3 purely for linux purpose in early days is probably few and sparse so it's a pretty moot point. I honestly don't see anything wrong with pushing it out of the door on day one. It'll take a while for the linux enthusiasts to produce anything substantial so the earlier it is in some of their hands the better...

For those following the Linux scene, I have some questions.

1) Is there a better place to ask questions like these? An active PS3 Linux forum?
2) Has anyone gotten wi-fi working yet, and if not, what's the prognosis?
3) How is video playback? Early on it was slow and buggy. What's the current state?
4) How are the various emulators?

jjasper

One question I have is will there ever be HD DVD drivers for YDL? I have the 360 hd dvd player and I was thinking about selling it when I move out and no longer have a 360 to use it with but if there is a possiblity to use it through linux on the ps3 I might hold on to it.

mr_nothin

Banned
jjasper said:
One question I have is will there ever be HD DVD drivers for YDL? I have the 360 hd dvd player and I was thinking about selling it when I move out and no longer have a 360 to use it with but if there is a possiblity to use it through linux on the ps3 I might hold on to it.
I'm curious....what's the point?

Hollywood doesn't trust open-source, so no, you aren't going to play HD-DVD on your PS3.

Besides, getting it to work with the RSX locked out = good luck.

pcostabel

Gold Member
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Hollywood doesn't trust open-source, so no, you aren't going to play HD-DVD on your PS3.

Besides, getting it to work with the RSX locked out = good luck.

Well, HD-DVD has been cracked, so in theory it should be possible to write a player for Linux.

And video decoding is done on Cell, RSX has no hardware video decoder AFAIK.

pcostabel said:
Well, HD-DVD has been cracked, so in theory it should be possible to write a player for Linux.

HD-DVD is somewhat cracked, but it isn't that cracked at this point in time. Frankly, now we are going to see how 'self healing' AACS can be with key revocation etc.

There's certainly no way to write a player that can be expected to function with future releases; not at this point in time.

And video decoding is done on Cell, RSX has no hardware video decoder AFAIK.

Today's GPUs have many powerful features that can help greatly with advanced codec video playback. They aren't just about rendering triangles.

on fence with this software

how are things with linux and if i don't know how to operate linux open software, how do you rate it for a noob like me.

sun-drop

got yumex working and VLC, played the standard def divx releases of some Tv shows no problems, wouldn't play the 720p version of the GTA IV trailer though. and i had no luck playing my fightclub dvd through VLC either.

still not bad.

whats holding back a linux medi player from using cell on it's own to play back HD .. are we just waiting for some one to SPE optimise something like VLC ?

Kreuzader

lambchop said:
whats holding back a linux medi player from using cell on it's own to play back HD .. are we just waiting for some one to SPE optimise something like VLC ?

Yep, or for Terra Soft to get a RSX GPU driver working; they said it was still being worked on (I assume it's political/bureaucratic and involves getting Sony and NVIDIA legal beagles to sign off on it) at GDC.

sun-drop

Kreuzader said:
Yep, or for Terra Soft to get a RSX GPU driver working; they said it was still being worked on (I assume it's political/bureaucratic and involves getting Sony and NVIDIA legal beagles to sign off on it) at GDC.

well some1 needs to get on that! the apps making use of the spe's that is ... i my self would be amazed if sony allow full access to the rsx .. wouldn't that just open the door to ps1/ps2 emulators etc, bypassing the psn service?

Top Bottom