• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4’s 4.00 update is coming soon. Adds folders, Trophy enhancements, UI refresh and m

Nice... This was always so backwards, the way you couldn't see any of the game while fiddling in OS menus.

What we've had all this time is a downgrade from even the PS3's transparent menu solution.

The funny thing is that they actually have a transparent overlay

Btw, I'd also like to see a shortcut to switch between party chat and in-game chat quickly. Something like pressing triangle (square is reserved for text chat).

Tapejara

Judging by those screenshots a few pages back, it looks like Sony updated the live area for games? Which hopefully means the first thing I see when I press down on a game tile won't be some random person's screenshot or video.

Edit: this screenshot:

20160815-ps4-02.jpg

Alphas killing the framerate, it'll be a Neo-only feature.
I call BS on this one.

PS3 had RSX (GeForce 7600 GT) with only 22.4GB/s of memory bandwidth (GDDR3 128-bit bus) and it handled UI alpha transparency just fine.

PS3 has a semi-custom Radeon 7850 with 176GB/s of memory bandwidth (GDDR5 256-bit bus). Yeah, it's shared with the CPU, but it shouldn't matter. It's still magnitudes faster than the RSX.

ps: They could even reduce the game resolution temporarily (just like Xbone does with snap apps) if it's that much of an issue.

I call BS on this one.

PS3 had RSX (GeForce 7600 GT) with only 22.4GB/s of memory bandwidth (GDDR3 128-bit bus) and it handled UI alpha transparency just fine.

PS3 has a semi-custom Radeon 7850 with 176GB/s of memory bandwidth (GDDR5 256-bit bus). Yeah, it's shared with the CPU, but it shouldn't matter. It's still magnitudes faster than the RSX.

Look at the screenshot with the boat. It's transparent, you can see it though the blue area

2SA/Folders/Library/Offline Tropies, all in one FW update? Sweet jeebus.

Basically everything that should've been at launch, but I'm not complaining. Give us PSN ID change and we'll call it even SONY.

Unknown?

And? You can create folders for the library as well
It just sounds poorly worded to me. What would be the point of the new sorting features/tabs if we could just organize it ourselves? The tab that only shows your currently installed games/apps negates the whole need for folders for stuff you didn't like since you won't be seeing them in the first place. If it is true you could create folders in the library I don't see a point but at least it's there for someone who does, I guess.

It just sounds poorly worded to me. What would be the point of the new sorting features/tabs if we could just organize it ourselves? The tab that only shows your currently installed games/apps negates the whole need for folders for stuff you didn't like since you won't be seeing them in the first place. If it is true you could create folders in the library I don't see a point but at least it's there for someone who does, I guess.

If I have a library of 300+ items, I can have a folder called "Platformers" to quickly find a platformer to download and play. Just one example, I'm sure you can see why people might find it useful.

Some people just like their stuff organized and neat

Man, update of forever. Pretty much all the features they mention in the blog post are things I've wanted for a while.

Have European beta emails gone out yet? Or have I missed out?

Zackat

I was a dumb kid once...

Don't regret my PSN name...

Own your mistakes!!! Be a man! Or a woman!

mine is d00tz3r

it's an absolute travesty that I made for shits and giggles years ago, but I am a grown ass man now. I have thought about sending mine to colin and greg for their segment on bad PSN usernames.

I have a second one that is more like my current game handle, but I don't have any of my history on it. complete crap.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Soon? When Soon?
is the beta even available yet?
I haven't received anything and I've been in every single one so far.

jmaine_ph

Sony. I am willing to **pay** to change my PSN ID. I created it in 2006. I regret it. Let me change it.
That's why I really think they are having a hard time getting it done. They would make so much money off of allowing people to change their names. It would cover any resources put into figuring it out plus more.

Unknown?

If I have a library of 300+ items, I can have a folder called "Platformers" to quickly find a platformer to download and play. Just one example, I'm sure you can see why people might find it useful.

Some people just like their stuff organized and neat
Hmmm yeah that would be a good example, but I personally will have all the folders I need on the front so I don't need to access the library. Good update all in all. I was hoping for external HDD support though because my 1.5 TB HDD isn't enough and upgrading to .5 more won't be enough either!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Next update should add PS1 classics and custom wallpapers as well.

I don't expect much since Sony shit the bed so much in regards to supporting basic files like i wanted for MKV, but who knows how it will turn out...

That's why I really think they are having a hard time getting it done. They would make so much money off of allowing people to change their names. It would cover any resources put into figuring it out plus more.
Exactly. It's not like they wouldn't want $10 per name change. PSN must be a technical mess to deal with most likely.

MistBreeze

This is my wish list in ps4 system 3.00 update thread one year ago:

Solid update,,,,,

What I want:

- folders and library, home screen management.
- friend notificatins for all or as specific group or persons.
- message notifications contains a sumarry of message like ps3 or mobile phones.
- psn name and store country change like xbox.
- external hdd supports.
- ps3 like media supports ( without flash drive crap )
- custome wallpapers and themes support also themes right know does not change all aspects of UI I still see the blue flow theme in the system start menu and inside taps,,, WTF ,,, that seems unprofessional ,,,, also we want more flow colors ans black flow theme //// ps3 black flow before system 2.70 //// for nostalgia ,,, tears ,,,

Woooow we have come along way :)

Please next:
Region change and language like xbox
Hdd support
Away, busy, for online status ( not only online ,,, offline)
And ID name change

Griss

They say that every major update and it very rarely amounts to much. What you see is what you get.

Aren't you selling you PS4 and getting a Xbox anyway?

What? I said I'd ditch PS for Scorpio if we hadn't gotten folders by then.

I still might, Sony's customer service is garbage and PS+ no longer ties me to the service. If multiplats are better on Scorpio, off I go.

Nesther

Judging by those screenshots a few pages back, it looks like Sony updated the live area for games? Which hopefully means the first thing I see when I press down on a game tile won't be some random person's screenshot or video.

Edit: this screenshot:

20160815-ps4-02.jpg

Oh my god, please! I've gotten used to it by now, but when they first forced the streams/screenshot to the top, it really annoyed the hell out of me. Would love for it to be now optional, or at the bottom of a games hub. Being able to quickly check a games trophies without it lagging and bugging out would be such an improvment.

Top Bottom