• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 1.70 "available soon", SHAREfactory revealed (video editor), preloading confirmed

8byte

Banned
Thanks.

I guess the uploaded image only can be seen by us.
Hope they made PS4 compatible with downloaded avatars, currently you can only change it from PS3.

It probably is tied to real name requests. If you approve the request they can see your real pic.

Boke1879

Agreed. This is pretty absurd at this point. Why announce a FW 4 weeks in advance. Then make a blog post about it last week and now they STILL don't know a date?

I really hope there will be some stealth features coming in along with what's already known. This is one area Sony HAS to get better in. We're paying for this service now. When the competition has put out plenty of worthy updates It's time you match that.

Can't believe we still don't know when this is coming.

Agreed. This is pretty absurd at this point. Why announce a FW 4 weeks in advance. Then make a blog post about it last week and now they STILL don't know a date?

I really hope there will be some stealth features coming in along with what's already known. This is one area Sony HAS to get better in. We're paying for this service now. When the competition has put out plenty of worthy updates It's time you match that.

They must have felt some pressure to show people some improvements were coming, in light of all the XB1 updates in recent months.

pixlexic

Banned
Preloading !

If I didn't buy most multiplats for PC this would be my number 1 reason to buy multiplats on ps4 over xbone.

You listening ms?

Twinduct

They must have felt some pressure to show people some improvements were coming, in light of all the XB1 updates in recent months.

Doubt it's a response to that than more a response to the endless questions of it in every blog posting.

Not that it helped since 'What about a new firmware .. '' changed to "When is the new firmware .."

Kysen

I'm betting the reason why they still don't have a date is because of the dev team being in Japan. All that red tape/slow communication between teams.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Man, if console wars were decided by firmware updates, the PS3 would have left the 360 in the dust, amirite?

FVFCFJM.png

Dunlop

lol, everytime this is bumped I think the update it out.

I don't give a shit about this update but let's get it out of the way so they can use the time to commit the vast resources that is obviously necessary to implement DLNA and MP3 playback and I can retire my PS3

because that is obviously what is holding it up, not that it is a cheesy moneygrab

/bitter

:p

Boke1879

I'm betting the reason why they still don't have a date is because of the dev team being in Japan. All that red tape/slow communication between teams.

Tbh they need to get a dev team out here in the US. If development and updates will be this slow then they need to use some of that PSN money and get a team based out here solely to test and update FW.

Lol at anyone who thinks that a 4 week lead announcement time for a software update is a long time...

In any other form of consumer technology (phones for example) firmware/software updates are announced to the public often 4-6 months before release.

PJV3

Can't believe we still don't know when this is coming.

People were complaining about Sony's silence, I'm not fussed either way, it will come at some point.

Doubt it's a response to that than more a response to the endless questions of it in every blog posting.

Not that it helped since 'What about a new firmware .. '' changed to "When is the new firmware .."

Well, if that was the case it would be answering all those blog requests, and unfortunately it's only answering a few of the glaring issues.

If I can't change the background color of the menus with this update, I don't even.

Absolutely. I think the only real mistake Sony has made with the PS4 is keeping the firmware team based in Japan. The OS, while much better than the PS3, still doesn't feel as refined as I think it should. The "friends feed" for example, is there on PS4, but it's done so much better on the XB1.

Lol at anyone who thinks that a 4 week lead announcement time for a software update is a long time...

In any other form of consumer technology (phones for example) firmware/software updates are announced to the public often 4-6 months before release.

For a .0 release sure, and in some cases (Apple for example), the dev community gets the update the day it's announced in most cases. Although Sony isn't very typical with their version numbering. I think they would benefit to moving to a much shorter release cycle until they make up some of the ground in feature expectations (3d blu-ray, dlna, mp3, among other things).

They also need to get much better at managing expectations and also meeting expectations of their consumers. They have squandered much of the goodwill they had built up from Feb 2013 to Nov. 2013. Lack of firmware features, game delays and what appears to be growing uncertainty with the WWS.

Kysen

Absolutely. I think the only real mistake Sony has made with the PS4 is keeping the firmware team based in Japan. The OS, while much better than the PS3, still doesn't feel as refined as I think it should. The "friends feed" for example, is there on PS4, but it's done so much better on the XB1.

Yep, the JP team is too slow.

Boke1879

For a .0 release sure, and in some cases (Apple for example), the dev community gets the update the day it's announced in most cases. Although Sony isn't very typical with their version numbering. I think they would benefit to moving to a much shorter release cycle until they make up some of the ground in feature expectations (3d blu-ray, dlna, mp3, among other things).

They also need to get much better at managing expectations and also meeting expectations of their consumers. They have squandered much of the goodwill they had built up from Feb 2013 to Nov. 2013. Lack of firmware features, game delays and what appears to be growing uncertainty with the WWS.

i agree they need to get FW updates out faster but LOL. They haven't squandered any of the goodwill they've built up.

Fnord

And to think, back when the PS3 was new, Sony caught crap from most corners about all of the frequent firmware updates (and no, it often had nothing to do with the lack of content in said updates - they were updating with substance at a breakneck pace for a long while). That said, I want this update! :)

cripterion

Sharefactory sounds a whole lot like what they have on Xbox One with Upload.

Release the darn update already, mostly interested in the preload feature.

Interfectum

Hyperbole everywhere!

Hellshy.

Share Factory looks great.

If you are listening Sony, please bring back the customized themes and backgrounds sooner rather then later.

Hyperbole everywhere!

I really don't see how 1 statement you don't agree with is hyperbole everywhere, but ok. Maybe you were including your own post, I don't know.

My issue is 6 months in I have a system which I still look at as a great replacement for my PS3 someday. There's so much potential and also outstanding promises, given that this generation is expected to be shorter it would be nice to see some of it come to fruition and maybe a little more openness.

Edit: I should add, I'm still a little sour from when the Ultimate FAQ dropped two weeks before release and gave a lot of bad news on items they had been quiet on up until then.

Sami+

Is there still no word on MP3 support? :/

The added share features are great, but that's what I'm most anticipating.

People were bitching for info. They gave it and it's this now?

Unwinnable war. Lol

Bump with no info = sad face

i think what they need to do is say upcoming firmware and not bother with the word "soon" (they can't anyways. i went ahead and trademarked the word and its relevancy)

i didn't trademark it

JoRo

All I really want is the capability to stream music while I'm in-game. :(

Through bluetooth or my PC, I don't care, just give me the option without having to use your shitty music service, Soony...

I disagree entirely with this point. What goodwill have they sat on exactly. It's not like they are sitting in their offices playing Lazer tag to not get things fixed or throwing lavish parties for sale numbers. People are working hard and constantly trying to communicate back to the community the details they are allowed to say.

Also the only expectations as customers we have is getting the update. They never gave any release date and pushed it back, so the expectation has not even been met yet. We expect to have it, and that's what they are doing.

Thirdly game delays and all that jazz is generally none of our business, business wise. Obviously there is a reason for it and it can be good or bad, but for the most part, all the game delays we know about have been for the better rather than worse. I understand people are getting impatient but being irrational as well doesn't help.

I know sSony has exhausted the word Soon but I can't be bothered to even worry about it at this point. I'm way too busy to obsess over an update right now. I haven't even updated my controllers for the Xbox One yet and I've missed two lol.

Knoxcore

My PS4 is essentially the same PS4 it was on release date. No new features have been added. It really is a shame that a PS3 (which I sold a few days ago) is more feature-filled than a PS4. If I knew it would be like this I would have waited to buy a PS4 (like I did with the PS3 and PS2--the hype got me).

EGOMON

I can't believe you people still waiting for the release date obviously it is gonna be announced at E3 and everyone will lose their shit

Top Bottom