• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 7.1 Audio Issue - Am I doing something wrong?

spadge

I have an Onkyo TX-SR606 and haven't heard any hissing.

Been playing the PS4 version of Strider and the surround mixing on that is AWFUL. It put's all the music through the front and centre speakers, and then all the sword swinging and sound effects blasting through the side and rear channels. You can barely hear any speech or music.
Resorted to using some standard 2.0 headphones for that game.

On Demand

Banned
On the PS4, there are three options. Dolby Digital, DTS, and Linear PCM. If you're going HDMI into a surround receiver, then definitely Linear PCM is what you want.

Which sucks. On the PS3 there are a plethora of audio options to choose from to fit what kind of setup you have. You can even choose the sampling rate.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Which sucks. On the PS3 there are a plethora of audio options to choose from to fit what kind of setup you have. You can even choose the sampling rate.

Incorrect. Options on PS3 are LPCM, Dolby, bitstream. You also can't choose sampling rate, only manually select what your digital receiver supports. It sounds like you are thinking of the audio output setup where you have AAC, 48Khz, 96Khz, etc. All of that is unneeded on HDMI because the HDMI1.3 spec supports all sample sizes up to 24-bit and all sample rates up to 192Khz across... umm.. 32(?) channels.

PS4 "should" be (IIRC) DTS, Dolby, Linear PCM, or bitstream.

Yeah, if I turn it to Direct on my Onkyo it pretty much seems to ignore my Cross-Over settings and doesn't really send anything to my subwoofer at all.

For using LPCM and keeping adjustments like that while keeping the sound "pure" you'd want to set it to "Multichannel" on an Onkyo, not Direct. Multichannel is the LPCM setting.

I went and played with my settings a bit to test out the hissing sound on the PS4 with LPCM and that. It does indeed seem to be something with the Dynamic EQ option and LPCM. Turning it off fixed the hissing. Sadly, this means I can't use the Dynamic Volume setting which is kinda handy.

So now I've got it set to 7.1 LPCM on the PS4, Multichannel on the Receiver, appropriate Cross Over and dB settings, and Audyssey + Dynamic EQ set to Off.

That's right. Setting it to "direct" is the worst choice. It ignores all your settings and messes around with a ton of configurations for the room.

Sounds like your setup is like mine now.

Incorrect. Options on PS3 are LPCM, Dolby, bitstream. You also can't choose sampling rate, only manually select what your digital receiver supports. It sounds like you are thinking of the audio output setup where you have AAC, 48Khz, 96Khz, etc. All of that is unneeded on HDMI because the HDMI1.3 spec supports all sample sizes up to 24-bit and all sample rates up to 192Khz across... umm.. 32(?) channels.

Yep, those manual options aren't needed anymore. Everything is handled by your receiver.

On Demand

Banned

There's a list of audio options you can choose from on PS3. 2.1 to 7.1, 48khz to 192khz. You don't have these options on PS4.

borghe

There's a list of audio options you can choose from on PS3. 2.1 to 7.1, 48khz to 192khz. You don't have these options on PS4.

there is no 2.1 to 7.1 option.

the sampling options are only on the audio output options because you NEED to specify what your optical audio input on your receiver supports because there is no handshaking over optical audio. HDMI does handshaking so you don't need to specify what outputs are supported. If your receiver only supports 5.1 input over HDMI, it will tell the PS4 that when they turn on. The same way your TV tells your PS4 that it only supports 2.0. etc.

On Demand

Banned
But you don't need those options, as the PS4 will only pass through what your receiver supports.

I don't have a PS4. I still use my PS3 for BD's. I have to select the audio i'm going to use. I just choose auto and check everything. If you don't the sound is not going to output right to your speakers.

I don't have a PS4. I still use my PS3 for BD's. I have to select the audio i'm going to use. I just choose auto and check everything. If you don't the sound is not going to output right to your speakers.

In the PS3, it still talks HDMI to your receiver and only selects the options that your receiver supports, though. For example, on my PS3 I choose HDMI for audio, then it auto selects everything except AAC (which my receiver doesn't support natively)

borghe

eh... the audio output options for PS3 over HDMI are largely bogus.. they simply left the screens the same for optical (where it's needed) and HDMI (where it is not needed). Your PS3 still handshakes with your HDMI audio device (TV or receiver) and still sends "best available" based on your settings in the PS3 menu (Linear PCM, Dolby Digital, or bitstream)

edit - yeah, you just select automatic for HDMI on PS3. Doing that and choosing Linear PCM in the settings menu will basically have the PS3 convert all compressed formats (Dolby or DTS) to multichannel LPCM and output those. Best option by far.

On Demand

Banned
Yep, I follow this guide for HDMI Automatic:

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/788/~/change-ps3-audio-output-settings

It fills in all the boxes for me that my receiver supports.

Yeah that's what i'm talking about. Haha. As you can see in the pic there's a automatic option and manual. I choose automatic. But manual is there for a reason-

The PlayStation 3 system allows you to configure the audio output settings independent of the display output settings. You may need to make sure the correct audio out setting is selected for your installation.

Which is what i was saying.

PS4 doesn't give you these options but according to you guys it does everything automatically.

Yeah that's what i'm talking about. Haha. As you can see in the pic there's a automatic option and manual. I choose automatic. But manual is there for a reason-

PS4 doesn't give you these options but according to you guys it does everything automatically.

But even on the PS3 you don't need those options. The only time you would need it is if it selected frequencies which were too high for your receiver to handle (via some handshaking issues in earlier HDMI). But now everything is automatic. You'll never need manual with HDMI, whether it's PS3 or PS4.

borghe

well.... right.... you have to remember... PS3 launched before HDMI was super-standard in home theater systems. you had receivers out there with no HDMI-audio decoding abilities, receivers that couldn't even accept LPCM over HDMI (some that could only accept LPCM 2.0 even!!!), etc.

Yes, that is largely unneeded these days. Even $150 receivers these days will take LPCM over HDMI, and likely even have HD decoders for Dolby and DTS as well (which is still unnecessary if you just set your PS4 to LPCM output)

On Demand

Banned
I don't know. I get what you guys are saying but having those options can't be a bad thing. Even people over at AVS are complaining that PS4's audio options are limited. They liked how the PS3 has it.

And currently choosing bitstream (or LPCM i think) does nothing for lossless as you still have to press options during a movie and do it from there. caliblue15 mentioned this in post number 2. PS3 didn't have this problem.

LegoDad

I don't know. I get what you guys are saying but having those options can't be a bad thing. Even people over at AVS are complaining that PS4's audio options are limited. They liked how the PS3 has it.

And currently choosing bitstream (or LPCM i think) does nothing for lossless as you still have to press options during a movie and do it from there. caliblue15 mentioned this in post number 2. PS3 didn't have this problem.

You could do this on PS3 as well. Something with the settings is wrong on the PS4. Also more options is better as there are a lot of different setups. My w900a accepts 7.1 but my receiver only takes 5.1 Dolby via optical, by running through the TV, games work just fine in 5.1, but blu-rays doesnt matter what the setting as I only get 2 channel audio.

Top Bottom