• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 and Xbox One both have the best console launch line-up EVER

I strongly disagree. This is a very very weak launch. Disappointing, especially when you remove all the multiplatform and multigeneration titles. Sony gets a longer evil eye look from me, they actually have a large amount of resources and squandered them.
huh? Squandered means waste or throwing away? Sony's WWS is making PS4 games, they haven't squandered anything, the games just aren't ready yet? I don't understand what you're trying to say...

People are nuts if they actually believe that. There is nothing in the launch lineup of the calibre of Super Mario 64, Soul Calibur, Halo, SSX, Resistance, and Super Mario world. Hell there isn't even anything as good as Kameo and the original Wipeout
I agree with most of those but PS3 lineup with Resistance? I dunno, I think Killzone has a great chance of being the equivalent to that, it actually looks pretty solid with a nice looking MP aspect.

And to be fair, I think there's not as many standout launches as we like to remember. Nostalgia also plays a roll. N64, SNES, Dreamcast, and Xbox come to mind as the only launches significantly better because of that that one standout game and the WOW factor. There's been some so-so launches though. Gamecube/360/PS1/PS2/PS3/Saturn to name a few. I think that one game might be missing from either category. But I will say Killzone has the most potential to WOW, so that's something. It really does seem like it plays like Halo, which can only be a good thing. Forza as well should be good, but not expecting any game from either platform to be anything more than solid 8/10 or 3.5 star stuff. Which again is nice, but not spending $400 nice. Infamous and Titanfall look to be the first WOW factor games for each platform, but I think there's still plenty to play for early adopters.

Also, keep an eye on Killzone for shooter fans, I think it maybe the best in the series...just a hunch.

Good launches for both platforms for me, with a nod to PS4 because there just seems to be more stuff to play out of the box with those FTP titles and PS+. I was just get Knack and be done with it for PS4 if I was getting one. WIth X1, Forza and Dead Rising jack up the price quite a bit.

Soule

Multiplatform games that I could also get in the current gen consoles? So $400++ for COD:G, BF4, AC with upgraded visual? Why people need that when the current gen already offered the same experiences and for the most it already have a better community for multiplayer too?
Take a look at Most Wanted U and few Wii U multiplatform titles in this case, did it make Wii U launch look great?

About the indies, like I said mainstream people could care less about it. Like it or not there's gonna be a drought before the next lineup of games are coming. And that's why I said, there's no good reason to buy all these 2 consoles at launch.
And that's for me, though. With these kind of "great launch lineup" they have, I'd happy to wait few months before I get one.

Preach to the choir baby, completely agree on all accounts especially about the visual upgrade and many of the games still available on current gen.

Except for 'could care less', if people don't care the saying is couldn't care less like so

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Multiplatform games that I could also get in the current gen consoles? So $400++ for COD:G, BF4, AC with upgraded visual? Why people need that when the current gen already offered the same experiences and for the most it already have a better community for multiplayer too?
Take a look at Most Wanted U and few Wii U multiplatform titles in this case, did it make Wii U launch look great?

About the indies, like I said mainstream people could care less about it. Like it or not there's gonna be a drought before the next lineup of games are coming. And that's why I said, there's no good reason to buy all these 2 consoles at launch.
And that's for me, though. With these kind of "great launch lineup" they have, I'd happy to wait few months before I get one.

Uh BF4 definitely isn't just upgraded visually at all, and I suspect as we go on more and more current gen versions wont even be worth playing in comparison. I expect Destiny and Titantfall to be like this.

Secondly, the first few years of a consoles always has the best online community. =)

bj00rn_

Banned
Taking out the PC titles. Unless I missed something.

Just the Exclusives.

PS4

Killzone
Knack
Resogun

X1

Dead Rising 3
Forza 5
Killer Instinct
Ryse
Crimson Dragon
Fighter Within
Powerstar Golf
Lococycle

That PS4 list of launch games is complete and utter crap. So disappointed. Xbox One launch games seems to be more solid, but the console isn't coming out before after the new year here.. so..You know what, I'm starting to have thoughts about cancelling my PS4 pre-order and buy a fucking Wii U to go along with my gaming PC instead. And why not.

Naked Lunch

BF4 alone with 64 players online at 60 fps makes this the best console launch in history in my opinion. That game will offer replay value for the next couple years. There has never been an online multiplayer game of that magnitude at launch. Forza 5, KI, and Crimson Dragon are some serious icing.

Preach to the choir baby, completely agree on all accounts especially about the visual upgrade and many of the games still available on current gen.

Except for 'could care less', if people don't care the saying is couldn't care less like so

Lol sorry for the typo, I'm using my iPhone to write it. It was "Couldn't care less" actually.

Uh BF4 definitely isn't just upgraded visually at all, and I suspect as we go on more and more current gen versions wont even be worth playing in comparison. I expect Destiny and Titantfall to be like this.

Secondly, the first few years of a consoles always has the best online community. =)

Well to be fair for many mainstream people, BF4 still have the same experiences with the current gen one. It just the same game from their point of view.. Oh it could handle more player in one map? Well it still the same game... The particle effect and AI are good? It just the same game as the current version. See?

It would be different if Destiny and Titanfall are one of the launch lineup games. But it still far away in the horizon. These kind of thing make the term of "best launch lineup" like what OP said it just well... Kind of a lie to be honest.

When you put it like that. . .

IKR?

After MS taking a hammering for months because of their apparent lack of game focus, when you look at the actual exclusive gaming possibilities for each console, MS wins by far.

Excluding the "family" type games from each list you get:

Ryse, Forza 5, Killer Instinct, Crimson Dragon, Dead Rising 3

vs

Killzone, Knack and Resogun.

When you ask yourself if mainstream consumer is going to spend hundreds of any currency to be able to play Knack or Resogun (or any indie title tbh), can you honestly answer "yes" to that question?

Now ask that question for any of the XB1 games and you could easily answer yes.

Its kind of weird.

In many publications I've seen, the launch lists have been shown differently. IGN for instance, lists only XB1s day one launch titles, yet for the PS4 list they include the entire "launch window".

It also makes "PS <3 Indies" look so much more like a necessity than a flat out passionate gesture. Without the indies filling up the blanks, its pretty dire looking imo.

Imo there is probably going to be a period where indies will make a large difference for both consoles.

JaggedSac

S¡mon;86295985 said:
Xbox One: 'oh, great, another Kinect game'
Xbox One has some bigger third-party exclusives, and while Xbox One, at launch, lacks indie games, one could argue that the amount of 'big' games offer more variety than ever before.

An argument I hear a lot is that Xbox One focuses too much on Kinect. Let's be honest here: will most gamers here don't really like Kinect, a lot of 'casuals' actually do enjoy Kinect.

Is there a single Kinect focused game available at launch?

Xbox One exclusive launch lineup does nothing for me.

Forza is bound to be quality, but I'm not a fan of sim racers. Everything else seems throwaway. Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct - don't care about any of it.

Microsoft really needed a killer app shooter for launch and it's disappointing they don't have one.

Killzone was always going to be the big exclusive title, and the graphical standout at launch....and it puts the PS4 launch way above the Xbox One launch for this reason alone.

Overall both launches seem fairly good when taking into consideration multiplatform games.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Is there a single Kinect focused game available at launch?

Crimson Dragon and Powerstar Golf

And I don't even know why we're talking about sports games like they're actual videogames. Shouldn't even be in the same conversation unless they're stuff like NFL Blitz or Hot Shots Golf. Kinect Sports Adventures 2 or whatever looks great as well.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Crimson Dragon and Powerstar Golf

And I don't even know why we're talking about sports games like they're actual videogames. Shouldn't even be in the same conversation unless they're stuff like NFL Blitz or Hot Shots Golf. Kinect Sports Adventures 2 or whatever looks great as well.

Crimson Dragon can be controlled with the controller though, there is some Kinect functionality according to Wikipedia.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Xbox One has a killer launch lineup

Follows the trend of 360's fantastic CoD2 and Kameo offerings, no? Not to mention DOA4 in the launch window. And let's not forget Halo on the original Xbox. You might say a killer launch lineup on xbox systems is instinctual.

I'm here every day

OmegaDL50

Generally most of Sony's launch line up wasn't worth much.

For the PSX the most notable titles were Air Combat, Battle Arena Toshinden, and Ridge Racer. Games like FF7, MGS, Gran Turismo, Tekken and most of the big name titles didn't even release until almost a year to two years after it's release.

As for the PS2? Tekken Tag Tournament and Ridge Racer 5 was pretty much it at for "Big Names" at launch. Devil May Cry, Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Turismo 3, Final Fantasy X, Metal Gear Solid 2 same example as above didn't even come out until a full year to two years which is outside the launch window.

PS3 got Resistance, Genji, and Ridge Racer 7 at launch. Uncharted, inFamous, MGS4, LBP, Demon's Souls, and all of the major "exclusives" didn't come out within launch window either.

Considering history tends to repeat, do people honestly expect unbelievable line up of games during the PS4. It's simply unrealistic to expect this.

Considering all three previous Sony consoles didn't take off until almost a full year after their launch in terms of releases. I'd say people will be waiting until at least Holiday Season 2015 until the PS4 truly takes off.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Personally I think it's mad to spend £400+ to play games that are available on the 360/PS3. Xbox at least has a few decent exclusives, PS4 has almost nothing.

Yagharek

Looking at those games, I can't get myself excited for much (only those quoted below). About the only other games that have been announced to date that interest me are that game by the Super Stardust devs (I might have missed it in the list) and that cel shaded game that looks like Ico.

Personally I think the PSP, Gamecube and Dreamcast had far more interesting launch lineups.

Multiplatform (both Xbox One and PlayStation 4 launch titles)
- Call of Duty: Ghosts

PlayStation 4 (titles not available [at launch] for Xbox One)
- Knack
- Putty Squad

Xbox One (titles not available [at launch] for PlayStation 4)
- nothing

Xclusion

Killzone
DC Universe Online (my guilty pleasure)
ResoGun
Madden (because I have the current gen and it's only $10 to upgrade.)
COD since all my xbox friends are making the switch to ps4.
and I tested out Warframe on the PC can't wait to try it out on ps4

... Seems like a great launch to me

I'm in the Xbox One has a better launch lineup camp even though I'm getting a PS4. After WD push, I don't really see anything I want to play on it. KZ looks okay, it just has no heart and KZ 2&3 were pretty, boring. The only game I'm interested in now is DR3 and since I can't seem to secure a Xbone for preorder I decided to keep my PS4 and just hope I can find a Xbone a few weeks after launch sitting somewhere in a mom&pop store.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
People are nuts if they actually believe that. There is nothing in the launch lineup of the calibre of Super Mario 64, Soul Calibur, Halo, SSX, Resistance, and Super Mario world. Hell there isn't even anything as good as Kameo and the original Wipeout
Resistance? It's all but guaranteed that Killzone will be dramatically better than Resistance ever was.

dark10x

I don't know why people are acting like Killzone is shovelware, maybe they haven't shown enough of it?
I know, right? Killzone 2 was one of the most hotly anticipated PS3 titles and turned out great. Killzone 3 had some issues but was still solid. This new game looks to take the best aspects of Killzone and mix it up with more open ended gameplay (ala Crysis). It seems like it will be a genuinely excellent shooter with incredible visual design.

GavinGT

Banned
Xbox One exclusive launch lineup does nothing for me.

Forza is bound to be quality, but I'm not a fan of sim racers. Everything else seems throwaway. Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct - don't care about any of it.

Microsoft really needed a killer app shooter for launch and it's disappointing they don't have one.

Killzone was always going to be the big exclusive title, and the graphical standout at launch....and it puts the PS4 launch way above the Xbox One launch for this reason alone.

Overall both launches seem fairly good when taking into consideration multiplatform games.

There's already BF4 and CoD. They wisely chose not to release an exclusive shooter to compete with those behemoths.

I don't know why people are acting like Killzone is shovelware, maybe they haven't shown enough of it?

They've shown plenty. They just haven't had a single game with characters that you develop attachments to or made enough strides in developing any meaningful lore or interesting ideas. I've played KZ 1,2,3 and it always felt like the games were a second-rate Halo.

I'd prefer one incredible generation defining launch game, like the old days... This is most likely a bunch of (at best) solid entries in franchises I unfortunately was already bored with 2 sequels ago.

If you played Last of Us or GTA V its a safe guess that you've already had a much better gaming experience this year than anything in this launch line up can give you. Sorry but...that's just how launches are.

dark10x

I certainly wouldn't call it shovelware, but after playing Killzone 3 I can't see why people are looking forward to Shadowfall as anything more than a graphical showcase.
Well, the core gameplay in Killzone 3 was excellent while the level design we've seen in Shadow Fall is much more open ended and interesting than anything in a previous Killzone title. It looks to be a very different sort of gameplay, really.

Yagharek

I certainly wouldn't call it shovelware, but after playing Killzone 3 I can't see why people are looking forward to Shadowfall as anything more than a graphical showcase.

Yeah, that's what I was going for. Resistance 2 was probably the worst of the PS3 shooters though.

FroJay

Banned
I think the Xbone has a better launch lineup of exlcusive games, but I'm still on board for PS4 at launch and will be skipping the Xbone. I'll probably pick up KillZone and try WarFrame since it's F2P. Maybe ACIV as well, we'll see.

I know, right? Killzone 2 was one of the most hotly anticipated PS3 titles and turned out great. Killzone 3 had some issues but was still solid. This new game looks to take the best aspects of Killzone and mix it up with more open ended gameplay (ala Crysis). It seems like it will be a genuinely excellent shooter with incredible visual design.

KZ2 played like swamp ass. It had a great visual design, but the story was fucking drool-boringly awful.

KZ3 played better, and had some really great set-pieces. It has great graphics and audio, but again, a horrible story. I feel like if they had better writers it'd be a great game. But It's WWII inspired drama was clichéd as hell. Granted, it's MP was fun, but I could get better experiences from other games at the time.

The new KZ looks great. Though you must be referring to Crysis 2 or 3 as it doesn't give me C1 vibes at all. Not even close. C1 was/is one of the best shooters released in the last 10 years even with it's story falling apart in the second half. C1 nailed immergent gameplay in the shooter dept.

I really hope I'm wrong with the new KZ as I want something exclusive to play on my PS4, but GG doesn't have a great track record IMO. I hope to hear good things about it. But I expect it's story to be bad and would most likely keep me in the rental territory. It'd be really cool if Sony let you buy the SP/MP portions of KZ seeing as how they can be downloaded in that order if you want to from the PSN and are seemingly already separated.

dark10x

The new KZ looks great. Though you must be referring to Crysis 2 or 3 as it doesn't give me C1 vibes at all. Not even close. C1 was/is one of the best shooters released in the last 10 years even with it's story falling apart in the second half. C1 nailed immergent gameplay in the shooter dept.
I've been on the Crysis train since the beginning. I was referring to Crysis-style design more than a specific game in the sense that the world seems larger and objectives appear to be available in a somewhat non-linear fashion. It also seems to allow for different styles of play.

It's not exactly like Crysis, obviously, but it seems to be taking cues from that sort of level design. It's nonlinear gameplay within linear levels, basically. Metal Gear, though much smaller in scope, kind of works in a similar way (at least MGS3). You're always on a linear path but you have freedom within that path.

Previous Killzone games offered nothing of the sort (though I suppose Mercenary delivers a taste of it).

IKR?

After MS taking a hammering for months because of their apparent lack of game focus, when you look at the actual exclusive gaming possibilities for each console, MS wins by far.

Excluding the "family" type games from each list you get:

Ryse, Forza 5, Killer Instinct, Crimson Dragon, Dead Rising 3

vs

Killzone, Knack and Resogun.

When you ask yourself if mainstream consumer is going to spend hundreds of any currency to be able to play Knack or Resogun (or any indie title tbh), can you honestly answer "yes" to that question?

Now ask that question for any of the XB1 games and you could easily answer yes.

Its kind of weird.

In many publications I've seen, the launch lists have been shown differently. IGN for instance, lists only XB1s day one launch titles, yet for the PS4 list they include the entire "launch window".

It also makes "PS <3 Indies" look so much more like a necessity than a flat out passionate gesture. Without the indies filling up the blanks, its pretty dire looking imo.

Imo there is probably going to be a period where indies will make a large difference for both consoles.

Casual consumers are going to almost always buy the system that is cheaper. The PS4 could have zero exclusive titles and I think it would still outsell the xb1 worldwide. Those sub 1080p xb1 games don't all look next gen to me at all. Multiplatform games also sell the most on both platforms.

I've been on the Crysis train since the beginning. I was referring to Crysis-style design more than a specific game in the sense that the world seems larger and objectives appear to be available in a somewhat non-linear fashion. It also seems to allow for different styles of play.

It's not exactly like Crysis, obviously, but it seems to be taking cues from that sort of level design. It's nonlinear gameplay within linear levels, basically.

That's what I though you meant and from I've heard/seen it does seem more open-ended I just hope that assumption is right. We'll see here very soon.

Didn't Sony say that all games on PSN would have demo's? I really hope so. If there is a demo and get to try it for a level so I could form a proper opinion and wouldn't have to speculate I'd feel better about a purchase.

Yoday

I agree with the OP in every way. It is so frustrating reading over and over and over again how people think the launch lineups are terrible. These are the best launch lineups in console history. So what if a bunch of the big games are cross generation, the gap is going to be massive, and I feel like the trend of people discounting cross gen games is going to start to go away pretty quickly once people actually see both current and next gen versions first hand, as the difference between current gen console and PC games has already been large enough to justify new hardware for years.

Anyone discounting something like Battlefield 4 as a great launch game simply because it is also on current gen systems is bat shit crazy. The Beta showed us first hand that the current gen versions are complete shit and shouldn't really be played by anyone. They offer a limited scope of the actual game and look like trash. Battlefield 4 isn't going to be the only game to have that gap. Do you really think that current gen ACIV is going to be anything other than barely playable? It is an open world game for the first time, and ACIII ran like complete shit on current gen consoles within pretty small cities.

mclem

S¡mon;86295985 said:
Multiplatform: 'but it's also coming to PS3/X360'
One of the arguments I hear the most is that most multiplatform titles are also coming to PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Another argument I here is "but it's also coming to Xbox One", or "but it's also coming to PlayStation 4".

My response? "So?"

A lot of these titles are going to run much better on the next-gen consoles, they will look better and they will respond better.

If I wanted more polish on games I could play already, I'd upgrade my PC's graphics hardware.

I think that's the key. I'm getting a launch PS4, because I'm going to get one *anyway*; and I'll get multiplats for it, because I'm going to get them *anyway* - but there's not any actual must-have content for me, at least yet. I'll see what PS+ brings my way for the short term. Knack's the wildcard. I'm sort-of tempted, but wary because what I've seen of gameplay hasn't excited me.

Kron

Banned
If you could travel back in time to 2004 after the original Killzone had been released and told people that in 8/9 years time people would be clinging to Killzone 4 like its some great last hope for the launch of the Playstation 4 they would have laughed in your face.

I really thought Sony would learn something from the terrible PS3 launch but it seems to be business as usual in the complacency zone.

The Xbox One lineup is absolutely fantastic. Well done MS!

I agree with the OP in every way.

Didn't want to flood the thread with your whole post but, I think you are vastly overestimating how big of a gap it will be with these launch titles. The reason people aren't impressed IMO is that none of these new games are offering something that can only absolutely be done on new console hardware. Mario 64 was revolutionary, Halo was revolutionary. Nothing on either PS360 was really groundbreaking at launch as is the same with these new consoles.

It's not as if BF4 or CoD 9 are gonna be so drastically different aside from Resolution and Framerates and BF4 having a 64 man multi-player count. There will be differences, just not extremely drastic ones.

Myself am even less impressed as I have a PC more than capable that'll play these Cross-Platform games at 1080p60Fps. That's why I was really hoping for a strong first-party or exclusive titles for either console that I could get behind. I think DR3 looked fun, but other than that nothing from either console exactly screamed must-have to me.

I think a lot of peoples eyes will be open when they see games at 1080p(900p) that tons of current-gen console gamers liked to discredit when our systems couldn't handle them as "PC fanboys showing off."

But when the next wave of console-exclusive games start rolling out early next year, then, people may start to really see the differences as what we've seen from W3, MGSV, Infamous 3 doesn't just look like current gen games with a stronger framerate/resolution. They look like new experiences that won't really be feasible/possible on current-current-gen tech.

Top Bottom