• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 and Xbox One both have the best console launch line-up EVER

S¡mon

Banned
One of the few things I here most is that both the launch line-ups of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are quitte disappointing. Why? Mainly because of the lack of exciting new exclusive titles and IPs.

I disagree.

In fact, I think both the PS4 and XBO have an amazing launch line-up. Let's just quickly look at the launch line-ups of both consoles (IGN.com used as source):

Multiplatform (both Xbox One and PlayStation 4 launch titles)
- Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
- Battlefield 4
- Call of Duty: Ghosts
- FIFA 14
- Just Dance 2014
- LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
- Madden NFL 25
- NBA 2K14
- NBA Live 14
- Need for Speed: Rivals
- Skylanders: Swap Force

PlayStation 4 (titles not available [at launch] for Xbox One)
- Blacklight Retribution
- Contrast
- DC Universe Online
- DiveKick
- DriveClub
- Escape Plan
- flOw
- Flower
- Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition
- Killzone: Shadow Fall
- Knack
- Minecraft note: already out on X360, but won't be available at launch on XBO, it will be available at launch on PS4
- Pinball Arcade
- PlayRoom
- Putty Squad
- Resogun
- Sound Shapes
- Super Motherload
- Switch Galaxy Ultra
- Tiny Brans
- Warframe
- War Thunder

Xbox One (titles not available [at launch] for PlayStation 4)
- Crimson Dragon
- Dead Rising 3
- Fighter Within
- Forza Motorsport 5
- Killer Instinct
- LocoCcle
- Powerstar Golf
- Ryse: Son of Rome
- Zoo Tycoon
- Zumba Fitness: World Party

I mean, just look at these three lists. It's huge.

Multiplatform: 'but it's also coming to PS3/X360'
One of the arguments I hear the most is that most multiplatform titles are also coming to PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Another argument I here is "but it's also coming to Xbox One", or "but it's also coming to PlayStation 4".

My response? "So?"

A lot of these titles are going to run much better on the next-gen consoles, they will look better and they will respond better. Also, you'll be playing them with some brand new controllers which appear to be even more ergonomic. Last but not least, there is some improvement. Take Battlefield 4: for the first time, console gamers can enjoy 64-multiplayer battles on a console. Sure, BF3 on PC already had this feature... but this is huge for console gamers. It's amazing.
Or FIFA 14, which appears to be much, much better than FIFA 14 on current-gen consoles.

And let's not forget "public's favourites", such as Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed.

These multiplatform games are all amazing... and they will run much, much better on XBO/PS4 than on X360/PS3.

PlayStation 4: 'there are only 3 exclusives at launch'
One of the arguments I hear most is that there are only three exclusives at launch, namely Killzone: Shadow Fall, Knack and DriveClub. To that I say: sure, these are the three 'big titles' from the first-party studios. It's not much, but at least there is a little bit of everything... a shooter, a platformer and a racer.

Also, we somehow seem to forget the indie games. Some of these indie games are exclusive to PlayStation 4, some are already available on PC (or will be releasing simultaneously with PS4) and some are only timed exclusives.

That doesn't mean indie games can't be great. I mean, how much fun did a lot of us have with something like "Pacman"? If such a game were to be released nowadays, it would most likely be done by a small developer... it would be considered an indie game. Nevertheless, a lot of people have put lots and lots of hours in something as simple as Pacman.

What I am really trying to say: indie games can be really, really good and often they are also quite cheap compared to triple A titles.

Last but not least, PlayStation 4 offers a few free 2 play games, which means that - even if you don't have that much money to spend - you'll still be able to enjoy some great PS4 games... for free!

Xbox One: 'oh, great, another Kinect game'
Xbox One has some bigger third-party exclusives, and while Xbox One, at launch, lacks indie games, one could argue that the amount of 'big' games offer more variety than ever before.

An argument I hear a lot is that Xbox One focuses too much on Kinect. Let's be honest here: will most gamers here don't really like Kinect, a lot of 'casuals' actually do enjoy Kinect.

Conclusion
Let's keep it short and simple:

- Multiplatform games will offer a better experience on next-gen consoles
- New controllers can make a huge difference
- Indie games can be truely awesome
- Sure, you might miss some games like a new 'Uncharted', but there are enough other games to enjoy
- The launch line-up of both the PS4 and Xbox One may be the best we have ever had.

Thanks for reading! :)

mishakoz

I think everyone just doesn't think there is that one game, that one KILLER game that everyone will remember for years to come.

Milennia

Multiplatform helps support the overall launch of the generation so i agree on that front.

But on the single console exclusive front.... Its a different discussion.

Dreamcast had an amazing lineup for just one system at launch.

Cade

I'm getting a PS4, but I'm starting to agree MS' lineup looks better, especially if this DC news ends up being true. However, the amount of multiplatform stuff available on both is insane for a launch and really good for people interested in big AAA series.

That said, I wish Minecraft for Vita was launching aside the PS4 one and I'd be there day one, especially with crossbuy.

pinny

Banned
There's not a single launch game I really want to play. Crimson Dragon would be the closest. So yeah, best console launch line up ever, lol.

- New controllers can make a huge difference
A huge difference, seriously?

- Indie games can be truely awesome
Which of these indie launch games look "truly awesome" to you?

Pain

Banned
People underestimate the power of multiplatform games. Exclusives are awesome but lets not deny that most of our game libraries consists of COD, FIFA, Madden, BF...etc..etc.

daxgame

Pinball Arcade? Indie games? Come on OP.
I cancelled my preorder time ago, of course I'll jump on with the PS4 later but at launch, no thanks.
I'll get it for a better price and with a better firmware later. No big games that interest me at launch.

Majanew

Banned
Exclusives are a tad weak. Especially for PS4. But the multiplats make PS4 and Xbox One the two best next gen console launches of all-time.

Lingitiz

Not a lot for me on that list. I have a good PC, so worse versions of F2P and indie games that are already out don't do much for me.

Resogun looks good though, and it will probably be one of the better launch titles.

Buying both consoles, but underwhelming games in my eyes. For me personally the Nintendo consoles and heldheld had the best launchgames. Dreamcast was also nice: Soul Calibur

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I would say the line-ups are adequate. I don't find much to get excited about, personally.

TheCloser

Banned
Multiplatform helps support the overall launch of the generation so i agree on that front.

But on the single console exclusive front.... Its a different discussion.

Dreamcast had an amazing lineup for just one system at launch.

And yet it flopped....... so what does this tell you? It doesn't mean jack.

Chao

Not a single game I care about on ps4, a couple of exclusives on Xbox one look interesting. Dreamcast will always be the king regarding launch games.

GloveSlap

There's no killer app launching for either of them in my opinion.

Agreed. There is a large amount of decent to good games, but nothing really stands out enough to make me need either system at launch. That could change when the games start getting reviewed though.

PS4 lineup is weak, Xbox One has a nice lineup though.

I always hear this and I don't understand this. What is weak about it? I'm really curious. To me, it's quite opposite really. I see a lot of variety on PS4's lineup compared to XBO's.

I guess everyone has their own measure of whats considered weak and what isn't, so don't take this personally.

Regardless, both consoles have a weak lineup i.e. no "killer app", but the fact that I'm getting a lot more to play with on PS4 without switching on my PS3 or 360 or PC is quite satisfying to me.

They're not terrible but they're nothing amazing either. At least there will a be a decent amount to play.

GameCube is still king of launch line-ups.

Jigolo

I agree it's a good launch but not the best ever. Before we know it, it will be 2014 and there will be many more games there.

Gaf just loves to think there is nothing to play at launch. "#DC DELAYED? RESOGUN FOR 6 MONTHS?!?!"

stop that bs

ghst

thanks for the laugh
luckily, PC has never been a more viable option. a little more change at first for a whole lot more reward.

even as a supplementary purchase, you're better off just throwing half the cost of one of these machines on a new GPU and improving the experience of playing your entire library. reappraise the situation in 18 months.

Papytendo

No, exclusives are weak on both sides. Most people won't jump on board for slightly better versions of games that are going to be available on current hardware.

GetemMa

Xbox had Halo CE

N64 had Mario 64

NES had Mario

Forget about all the other stuff that you can play on current gen, it is mere window dressing.

All of three of the above consoles have better launch titles than the PS4/Xbone by the mere fact they have that 1 game everyone knows is has a unique greatness.

PS4/Xbone simply don't have that caliber of title at launch.

Raydeen

I do wonder about MS's mental health that they didn't have Halo 5 as a launch game...I mean they have been working on the console for a long time...it seemed like a no brainer to me...

Hurf

Neo Member
No.

23pVxF6.jpg

Ephemeris

Getting both at launch, but don't be fooled.

PS2 had the best launch EVER.

Armored Core 2 (Agetec, Action)
DOA2: Hardcore (Tecmo, Fighting)
Dynasty Warriors 2 (Koei, Action)
ESPN International Track and Field (Konami, Sports)
ESPN X-Games Snowboarding (Konami, Sports)
Eternal Ring (Agetec, RPG)
Evergrace (Agetec, RPG)
FantaVision (SCEI, Puzzle)
Gun Griffon Blaze (Working Designs, Action)
Kessen (EA, Adventure)
Madden NFL 2001 (EA, Sports)
Midnight Club (Rockstar, Racing)
Moto GP (Namco, Racing)
NHL 2001 (EA, Sports)
Orphen (Activision, RPG)
Q-Ball Billiards Master (Take-Two Interactive, Simulation)
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2 (Midway, Sports)
Ridge Racer V (Namco, Racing)
Silent Scope (Konami, Shooter)
Smuggler's Run (Rockstar, Racing-Adventure)
SSX (EA, Sports)
Street Fighter EX3 (Capcom, Fighting)
Summoner (THQ, RPG)
Swing Away (Paradise Golf in Japan) (EA, Sports)
Tekken Tag Tournament (Namco, fighting)
TimeSplitters (Eidos, First-Person Shooter)
Unreal Tournament (Infogrames, First-Person Shooter)
Wild Wild Racing (Interplay, Racing)
X-Squad (EA, Action)

Top Bottom