• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 can't play MP3, Music Unlimited needed for background music [Up:Yoshida responds]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MogCakes

What's quite comical about the mp3 situation...is that Cerny specifically uses mp3 every time he talks about the PS4's dedicated audio hardware...

He talks up how many different mp3 streams it can decode at once...and then the OS goes and leaves out mp3 playback? LoLz for dayzzz

I doubt Cerny is all too happy about the PS4 not having basic media functionality at launch.

spannicus

This was all planned, wait for an update that will allow MP3 for free, go ahead and hold your breath. Whats the point in Sony having their own Music store when you can just put your own shit on there, kind of makes their stuff useless. You wanna jam then pay that man.

Hope the mp3 support planned next patch is true.... Is it weird that I didn't care about the feature at all but now I will probably try it out on day one...

Now I really want audiosurf on ps4.

Uhg... What's stopping winAmp from being released as an app to add CD support.

Fredrik

Is it strange to feel relieved that I'm not the only one not using twitter outside of my grandma, my dog, the creepy guy at the toy store and Mark Cerny.
I don't even have a Facebook account, or a Twitter account, or Instagram. Yep I feel old just by admitting this lol.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Is it strange to feel relieved that I'm not the only one not using twitter outside of my grandma, my dog, the creepy guy at the toy store and apparently Mark Cerny.
Is it strange to feel relieved that I'm not the only one not using twitter outside of my grandma, my dog, the creepy guy at the toy store and Mark Cerny.

Is it strange to find yourself reading the same sentence over and over?

Jburton

Banned
MP3 and DLNA will be headed with an update, Kagari is a reliable source and with the change in the FAQ after the Shu tweet it's all the more obvious.

I don't doubt it.

spwolf

Never heard of them but that news sounds great. Thats quicker than I expected, but you'd imagine they'd want suspend/resume in asap and they give themselves until early 2014 so there's a fudge factor. Makes sense and seems to be in line with hints here.

well, it does make sense that they have focused on gaming features, as long as DLNA client comes "back" soon enough.

they probably prioritized their development to make sure important gaming things work first.

satam55

Banned
hLT9vJR.png

Fnord

I had a second confirmation last night so it'll come. It's just a shame they got Music Unlimited up first, but the appropriate backlash has at least gotten a couple of responses out of them rather than flat out ignoring it like they used to.

When you say "it," do you mean MP3 playback or DLNA or both? Personally, I'm MUCH more interested in DLNA, since my video and audio files sit on a server in another room rather than taking up space on my PS3's hard drive. One of my TVs is a smart TV (Sony 55HX929), but the interface for DLNA is pretty bad compared to the PS3, as is media support.

Edit: NVM, another post cleared things up. w00t!

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Why are people still doubting? Maybe this thread has finally run its course.

My only lingering fear is that the system won't support mp3's played in the background during games. I've waited a whole gen for that (universally, or at least the feature not being available being a rare exception, rather than the inverse.)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
When you say "it," do you mean MP3 playback or DLNA or both? Personally, I'm MUCH more interested in DLNA, since my video and audio files sit on a server in another room rather than taking up space on my PS3's hard drive. One of my TVs is a smart TV (Sony 55HX929), but the interface for DLNA is pretty bad compared to the PS3, as is media support.

Both.

Fnord

Thanks. And on a somewhat related note (features), would you know if the PS4 supports BraviaSync? I've asked yosp on Twitter a couple of times, but never heard anything. I suspect it will, but it's a feature that didn't make it to the PS3 until the Slim.

Thanks, again.

DBT85

Thanks. And on a somewhat related note (features), would you know if the PS4 supports BraviaSync? I've asked yosp on Twitter a couple of times, but never heard anything. I suspect it will, but it's a feature that didn't make it to the PS3 until the Slim.

Thanks, again.

I'd be very surprised if it didn't as almost everyone supports it these days. But then I thought the same with MP3s lol.

I'm sure it'll be there.

Marc

No doubts, haven't caught up on all of the thread. But is this a near future release do you think, can't be too hard surely to chuck in. As essentially after launch there are no games for a while and its just going to be collecting dust if I can't use it as a media server. So may as well sell on the preorder and buy it again once it is sorted if its a ways off.

Also, would you know anything about wallpapers/themes? That's a big gripe for me as I am used to Sony's customization now like a spoilt brat. :D

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
well, it does make sense that they have focused on gaming features, as long as DLNA client comes "back" soon enough.

they probably prioritized their development to make sure important gaming things work first.

Can we stop with this please? If gaming was their only priority MU wouldn't have been implemented period.

I expected the AOAC PS4 to be a DLNA server and to support the FCC mandated RVU it also has to support DLNA as a client. DLNA only takes 2-3 megs in addition to the software stack that has to be in the PS4 to support a HTML5 browser and player.

The 2010 FCC RVU mandate was to be implemented 12/2012 and Microsoft, in the leaked Xbox 720 powerpoint, planned a Xbox 361 (released for holiday 2012) to support RVU while the PS3 was already designed to support RVU, ATSC 2.0 (1080P, S3D, XTV) and DTCP-IP DRM. Both XB1 and PS4 consoles were scheduled for after the RVU mandate was to go into effect so Microsoft needed something to support this until the next generation arrived.

Enter TiVo with a FCC suit and the FCC delayed the RVU mandate till June 2014. Microsoft canceled the Xbox 361 or delayed it till mid 2014 which requires a redesign to support the 2013 Energy Star "recommendations" for game consoles (Same features in the XB1 would have to be supported by the Xbox 361).

To own the living room both companies were planning on supporting DLNA-RVU. Nearly all 2014 Consumer Electronics will support DLNA -RVU to allow sharing of media from blu-ray players, Cable TV gateway DLNA-RVU servers and Windows PCs with Windows 8 and Trustzone DRM. Apple have plans to open their ecosystem to DLNA-RVU because they have to be included in this media sharing. Sony can't, unless it's considering suicide, lock themselves out of this. If Apple has to open their ecosystem then Sony who helped created DLNA is going to support DLNA.

Sony's Nanse is a Cable TV or OTA Gateway DLNA server and uses the same chipset to be in US Cable TV DVRs and Gateway DLNA-RVU servers. Are we expected to believe that Nanse won't work with the PS4?

This Faq must be a screw up and should have stated that DLNA wouldn't be included at launch which is in the Yoshida Tweets. DLNA supports playing MP3. Remember the MP3 not supported is the playing of MP3 CD disks. Since the PS3 has included the ability to rip CDs to Hard Disk, all of us should have our media on the PS3 Hard disk and our PC or DLNA servers. Reading a CD disk has latency and over head that Sony programmers might not want to deal with if there are plans to stream music from hard disk into games.

I just don't understand Sony....if the above is true then departments inside Sony are not talking to each other and marketing is clueless as to the Endgame planned since before 2001 by both Sony and Microsoft.

http://semiaccurate.com/forums/showpost.php?p=193831&postcount=22

http://semiaccurate.com/forums/showpost.php?p=193935&postcount=24

Lime

Holy fucking shit :lol

Thought it was a joke post, then I saw it was jeff_rigby (not that you're incorrect jeff, it's just that nobody writes like that)

satam55

Banned
I expected the AOAC PS4 to be a DLNA server and to support the FCC mandated RVU it also has to support DLNA as a client. DLNA only takes 2-3 megs in addition to the software stack that has to be in the PS4 to support a HTML5 browser and player.

The FCC RVU mandate was to be implemented 12/2012 and Microsoft, in the leaked Xbox 720 powerpoint, planned a Xbox 361 (released for holiday 2012) to support RVU while the PS3 was already designed to support RVU, ATSC 2.0 (1080P, S3D, XTV) and DTCP-IP DRM. Both XB1 and PS4 consoles were scheduled for after the RVU mandate was to go into effect so Microsoft needed something to support this until the next generation arrived.

Enter TiVo with a FCC suit and the FCC delayed the RVU mandate till June 2014. Microsoft canceled the Xbox 361 or delayed it till mid 2014 which requires a redesign to support the 2013 Energy Star "recommendations" for game consoles (Same features in the XB1 would have to be supported by the Xbox 361).

To own the living room both companies were planning on supporting DLNA-RVU. Nearly all 2014 Consumer Electronics will support DLNA -RVU to allow sharing of media from blu-ray players, Cable TV gateway DLNA-RVU servers and Windows PCs with Windows 8 and Trustzone DRM. Apple have plans to open their ecosystem to DLNA-RVU because they have to be included in this media sharing. Sony can't, unless it's considering suicide, lock themselves out of this. If Apple has to open their ecosystem then Sony who helped created DLNA is going to support DLNA.

Sony's Nanse is a Cable TV or OTA Gateway DLNA server and uses the same chipset to be in US Cable TV DVRs and Gateway DLNA-RVU servers. Are we expected to believe that Nanse won't work with the PS4?

This Faq must be a screw up and should have stated that DLNA wouldn't be included at launch which is in the Yoshida Tweets. DLNA supports playing MP3. Remember the MP3 not supported is the playing of MP3 CD disks. Since the PS3 has included the ability to rip CDs to Hard Disk, all of us should have our media on the PS3 Hard disk and our PC or DLNA servers. Reading a CD disk has latency and over head that Sony programmers might not want to deal with if there are plans to stream music from hard disk into games.

I just don't understand Sony....if the above is true then departments inside Sony are not talking to each other and marketing is clueless as to the Endgame planned since before 2001 by both Sony and Microsoft.

Jeff, do you think dual-band WiFi & HDMI-input included in a PS4 hardware revision?

Quasar

I'd love to see the ps4 as a DLNA-RVU client. UI is one of the big things I've never liked about DLNA as implemented.

MMaRsu

Banned
My only lingering fear is that the system won't support mp3's played in the background during games. I've waited a whole gen for that (universally, or at least the feature not being available being a rare exception, rather than the inverse.)

Same here :(. One of my most wanted features.

Jeff, do you think dual-band WiFi & HDMI-input included in a PS4 hardware revision?
HDMI in with pass-thru is only needed in the short term with older cable boxes. RVU is MANDATED by the FCC for June 2014 and they have to provide cable boxes that can be connected to your home network.

As in the past I don't think there will be hardware feature changes till the PS5 which might come earlier than expected.

satam55

Banned

Yeah, this is the only thing that worries me about the PS4's R&D being handled by SCE without any input from the Sony Electronics & Sony Entertainment divisions. For example, it's kinda ridiculous that the PS4 doesn't have dual-band WiFi (like the WiiU & Xbox1) when Sony is pushing Remote Play with the Vita/VitaTV, Second Screen with Smartphones/Tablets, & Gaikai so hard. I feel the PS4 would've had it if they had input from some of the other divisions.

spwolf

Can we stop with this please? If gaming was their only priority MU wouldn't have been implemented period.

it is pretty obvious from the feature list and upcoming update list that the gaming was their #1 priority, so I am not sure what do you want to stop?

satam55

Banned
HDMI in with pass-thru is only needed in the short term with older cable boxes. RVU is MANDATED by the FCC for June 2014 and they have to provide cable boxes that can be connected to your home network.

So RVU makes HDMI-input in the Xbox1 & GoogleTV boxes obsolete/irrelevant, correct?

As in the past I don't think there will be hardware feature changes till the PS5 which might come earlier than expected.

Why couldn't the 2.4 GHz-only WiFi in the launch PS4 be upgraded to dual-band (2.4GHz & 5Ghz) WiFi in a PS4 hardware revision? That seems like something that would be easy to add.

Yeah, this is the only thing that worries me about the PS4's R&D being handled by SCE without any input from the Sony Electronics & Sony Entertainment divisions. For example, it's kinda ridiculous that the PS4 doesn't have dual-band WiFi (like the WiiU & Xbox1) when Sony is pushing Remote Play with the Vita/VitaTV, Second Screen with Smartphones/Tablets, & Gaikai so hard. I feel the PS4 would've had it if they had input from some of the other divisions.
Do they mention anywhere that dual band is not supported?

You have to remember that AOAC is listening on the Lan and Wireless radios and having dual band WiFi AND Bluetooth LE at the same time might be pushing the 500mw EU power limits.

This (bluetooth) follows Google choices and the CE industry is moving to Bluetooth LE for speakers, Android to Home theatre receiver using bluetooth EDR, Remote controls, medical monitoring, Head mounted glasses, Watches, earphones....and more. You can send audio and video over bluetooth EDR as long as it's compressed. Bluetooth LE uses 1/20th of the power that WiFi uses.

The XB1 uses only WiFi for the controller and the PS3 and PS4 use Bluetooth with the PS4 using LE and EDR.

spwolf

what exactly do you need dual band wifi in PS4 for?

We should hope that they added better antenna for PS4, compared to PS3 as that was the biggest problem, but not dual wifi... Remote Play is going to take something like 4Mbs.

satam55

Banned
You have to remember that AOAC is listening on the Lan and Wireless radios and having dual band WiFi AND Bluetooth LE at the same time is pushing the 500mw EU power limits.

This (bluetooth) follows Google choices and the CE industry is moving to Bluetooth LE for speakers, Android to Home theatre receiver using bluetooth EDR, Remote controls, medical monitoring, Head mounted glasses, Watches, earphones....and more. You can send audio and video over bluetooth EDR as long as it's compressed. Bluetooth LE uses 1/20th of the power that WiFi uses.

The XB1 uses only WiFi for the controller and the PS3 and PS4 use Bluetooth with the PS4 using LE and EDR.

Actually, the Xbox1 controller doesn't use WiFi direct. WiFi direct is for Smartglass. The Xbox1 controller uses a Microsoft proprietary wireless connection: http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1l5rhj/wifi_direct_for_controller/

satam55

Banned
what exactly do you need dual band wifi in PS4 for?

We should hope that they added better antenna for PS4, compared to PS3 as that was the biggest problem, but not dual wifi... Remote Play is going to take something like 4Mbs.

The PS4 (& the PS Vita) uses the current, modern 802.11n standard (unlike the PS3 which still uses outdated 802.11g standard) so that won't be an issue on the PS4.

This was all planned, wait for an update that will allow MP3 for free, go ahead and hold your breath. Whats the point in Sony having their own Music store when you can just put your own shit on there, kind of makes their stuff useless. You wanna jam then pay that man.
Next gen is starting to feel like paywall city, population: us.

Actually, the Xbox1 controller doesn't use WiFi direct. WiFi direct is for Smartglass. The Xbox1 controller uses a Microsoft proprietary wireless connection: http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1l5rhj/wifi_direct_for_controller/
So the PS4 controller can be used with Android, TVs, Blu-ray players and Vita but the XB1 controller can't be use with anything but a XB1?

I'm not up on Microsoft but that seems stupid. I know the Xbox 360 controller was supported with proprietary radio and standards but I thought with direct WiFi that would change.

Major Nelson said:
The Xbox One controller does not use WiFi Direct for any of it's communication. The controller uses a proprietary wireless communication protocol that is optimized for gameplay and voice chat.
Xbox One does support WiFi Direct but that is for things like SmartGlass
So likely using the same WiFi radio but not the same standard.

womfalcs3

Banned
It's good all these issues will be resolved after launch. One of the major reasons I won't be getting a PS4 until next holiday season.

It's unfortunate they had to be pushed to get such a standard feature included.

Watkins

I have not once played MP3 (Really, MP3 2013?!) on my launch PS3. I have tried the DLNA feature but I don't use it since I have an HTPC that always will be a lot better for media.

I didn't think people used MP3 anymore. There's really no use to since proper streaming arrived.

If I do play music files it's flac since that's the only possible improvement over streaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom