• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 can't play MP3, Music Unlimited needed for background music [Up:Yoshida responds]

Status
Not open for further replies.

erawsd

who said anything about lemmings? All I'm saying is that you, as the consumer who gives in, allows these anti-consumer policies to happen. You have no one to blame but yourselves.
You have a choice in what policies they deliver.

Again, what types of games do you play? It can't be anything on a Playstation, Xbox, Nintendo, PC, Mac, Android, most popular flavors of linux, or anything by 99% of the publishers out there. Everyone is guilty of "anti consumer" policy, the nature of successful business is all about giving consumers just enough.

Do I wish PS4 had free multiplier? Sure. I just don't care enough to boycott the system over it. I've been a PS Plus member since the year it went live; its added 40+ games to my library that I didn't already own and I've benefited from various plus discounts. I'm likely a PS+ member for as long as Sony keeps it going.

That doesn't mean I'm unsympathetic toward someone that hasn't been a PS+ member and doesn't want to sub just to play multiplayer -- I would encourage you not to support Sony if you feel strongly about it. However, I take issue with the attempt at scolding others because we don't agree.

Ex: I detest F2P games and I have never spent a dime on them. However, I'm not so full of myself that I'm going to stand on a soap box and demand everyone feel the same way I do -- its not my place to decide how other people should spend their monies.

llotus

Neo Member
I don't know if this was answered but is the DLNA thing a software issue or a hardware one?

Like could they just update the OS and be like "Boom, here you go guys. DLNA"

Or do we have to wait till they roll out new versions of the PS4

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I don't know if this was answered but is the DLNA thing a software issue or a hardware one?

Like could they just update the OS and be like "Boom, here you go guys. DLNA"

Or do we have to wait till they roll out new versions of the PS4

Software.

Lmao. Consoles are such shit at launch. I should hope this is sorted out by 2014 though

Hopefully early in 2014. I was planning on keeping a PS3 hooked up to my main TV for my wife to use while I use remote play, but it has had overheating issues so I want to keep it's use to a minimum.

qF85fYO.gif

CLEEK

I'm happy with Sony's response and Kagari's reassurance. I wouldn't be surprised if DLNA/MP3 functionality returned in the first post launch update. Reminds me of the PS3 early days where huge software improvements were added in the initial updates. XMB 1.0 was such barren shit compared to what it is today.

Man, PS3 firmware v1.80 was like getting a new console. So much functionality added in one hit.

Settings changes

Remote Play over the Internet now an option. Broadband connection and PSP firmware version 3.50, or newer, is required.

Media changes

Ability to print photos via USB (currently, only selected Epson and Canon printers connected are compatible).
Ability to zoom and crop images.
Added a new slideshow type.

Disc changes

Ability to upscale standard DVD-Videos to 1080p.
Ability to downscale Blu-ray video to 720p.
Ability to play 1080p Blu-ray video at 24Hz.
Ability to edit CD information and submit it to AMG.

Game changes

Ability to upscale PS and PS2 games
Ability to copy PS/PS2 game saves from PS3 to Memory Cards using a Memory Card adapter.
Backwards compatibility for PS and PS2 games was improved.

System changes

Added DLNA compatibility.
Added support for the xvYCC colour space.
HDMI driver version updated, providing bug fixes including a blinking problem on Westinghouse 1080p LCD TVs.​

VillageBC

I don't understand why they are being so coy about it. It's not like they won't have a roadmap of future features coming to the firmware. We see that already in their FAQ where they state it's coming. The "I need to talk to the devs for future consideration' and 'we had a good discussion. Glad you liked the features on the ps3' are not answers. They are avoidance.

Those answers tell me Sony had no intention of adding support. If it was coming, a simple 'Yes, future firmware update will include it.' would suffice. Not this dog and pony show.

Vestal

Gold Member

Showmethereceipts.gif

No offense but until confirmation we really don't know.

Before this fiasco I would have said off course it plays mp3s.

Now I don't even know what to think regarding media playback on either console.

Orbis

Software.
As far as I know, it's not exactly difficult to implement either. There are many examples of 3rd party or even 'amateur' programs which either act as servers or clients for DLNA. There's no excuse for it not to be included at some point, it's a key standard in home network media streaming (founded by none other that Sony themselves).

Jburton

Banned
Then I am not worried. Sure it will suck at launch but I have faith Sony will put it back in once they realize nobody wants to use Music Unlimited

Read the thread, the winds are already blowing in that direction.

Word from those in the know is that it is coming, both things in an update.

Amagon

Not to knock on Sony, but the music unlimited is crap compare to the Google Play music services which I subscribe to. Definitely not gonna renew my Music Unlimited subscription when it expires at the end of the year.

Dibbz

Man, PS3 firmware v1.80 was like getting a new console. So much functionality added in one hit.

Settings changes

Remote Play over the Internet now an option. Broadband connection and PSP firmware version 3.50, or newer, is required.

Media changes

Ability to print photos via USB (currently, only selected Epson and Canon printers connected are compatible).

Disc changes

Game changes

Ability to copy PS/PS2 game saves from PS3 to Memory Cards using a Memory Card adapter.

System changes

HDMI driver version updated, providing bug fixes including a blinking problem on Westinghouse 1080p LCD TVs.​
Ah good times. 6 years after that update and people still kept guessing that printer support was the secretly added feature in the firmware update of the month. lol

Well, according to Cerny, the sound chip in ps4 is for decoding audio, so there's no excuse for Sony to not have mp3 support on their console. All I get from this is that Sony is trying to push video and music unlimited by stripping away the ability to play our own music and videos. We'll see if there tactics works out in the end especially since they seem to be backing away from their strategy if yosp's tweets are of any indication.

UNCMark

Banned
They have Amazon vod and netflix, which compete with their video services.

MS has no TV/Movie service that they charge a monthly fee for. Not sure about Sony.

Not to knock on Sony, but the music unlimited is crap compare to the Google Play music services which I subscribe to. Definitely not gonna renew my Music Unlimited subscription when it expires at the end of the year.

Of the 'listen to whatever you want whenever you want' services, Music Unlimited is by far the worst I used. Horrible selection. Spotify was my favorite until MS added browser support for Xbox Music. Both Spotify and MS let you listen for free with ads (no ads with MS if you listen via a browser with ad blocker on).

jcm

MS has no TV/Movie service that they charge a monthly fee for. Not sure about Sony.

Amazon has buying and selling of videos, but I think you're probably right about the music. They never added any other music service to ps3, did they? Not even pandora. So spotify probably isn't in the cards.

Well, according to Cerny, the sound chip in ps4 is for decoding audio, so there's no excuse for Sony to not have mp3 support on their console. All I get from this is that Sony is trying to push video and music unlimited by stripping away the ability to play our own music and videos. We'll see if there tactics works out in the end especially since they seem to be backing away from their strategy if yosp's tweets are of any indication.

what tweets? that tweet in the OP is some silly ass shit

"i had a discussion with the ps4 team, wow people listen to mp3s"

there is nothing to pull from that.

RhyDin

Sony knew what they were doing when they implemented this. Nagging probably won't do anything, just look at how they removed Linux support from PS3's in fear of piracy exploits (the system was later cracked and the Linux side of it had nothing to do with the hack).

This will be dreadful for people who enjoy making custom theme songs for characters in wrestling games - I'd imagine a bunch of people will be getting an Xbone because of this.

dracula_x

They both are heavily invested in their own services.

Disagree. What about video streaming services then? Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, etc. Why Sony is not banning them because Video Unlimited?

Also, how about YouTube app which has tons of "free" music and even built-in web browser where (I assume) you can run Spotify web app.

Settings changes

Media changes

Disc changes

Game changes

System changes

Huh. So DLNA wasn't supported at launch. Sounds vaguely familiar...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Sony knew what they were doing when they implemented this. Nagging probably won't do anything, just look at how they removed Linux support from PS3's in fear of piracy exploits (the system was later cracked and the Linux side of it had nothing to do with the hack).

This will be dreadful for people who enjoy making custom theme songs for characters in wrestling games - I'd imagine a bunch of people will be getting an Xbone because of this.

Except... it is.

satam55

Banned
Showmethereceipts.gif

No offense but until confirmation we really don't know.

Before this fiasco I would have said off course it plays mp3s.

Now I don't even know what to think regarding media playback on either console.

If a flash drive can work, a USB external hard drive will definitely work. I think Sony means you can't run or install games on an external hard drive.

Also, The PS4 MUST support H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, VC-1, MPEG-2, AAC, & other codecs for Blu-rays, DVDs, Video Unlimited, & other VOD services.

UNCMark

Banned
Disagree. What about video streaming services then? Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, etc. Why Sony is not banning them because Video Unlimited?

Also, how about YouTube app which has tons of "free" music and even built-in web browser where (I assume) you can run Spotify web app.

Isn't Video Unlimited just a movie rental service? It's not a pay-per-month service. Music Unlimited is a monthly service.

UNCMark

Banned
No, you can buy movies from movies unlimited.

You can buy or rent movies & TV shows on Video Unlimited.

That's what I meant. It's not a service you pay a monthly fee for, so Netflix, Amazon Prime etc aren't direct competitors. I was only guessing that Music Unlimited and Xbox Music are the only pay-per-month music services on their respective consoles because they are in fact services and not 1-off rentals/purchases.

Tsundere

Banned

Settings changes

Media changes

Disc changes

Game changes

System changes

And guess what Firmware 2.00 had!

PS3™ System Software Update 2.00-2.01

New for 2.01: System stability during use of some PlayStation®3 format software has been improved.
New for 2.01: System stability has been improved for some operations, including the use of the Internet browser and information board (Information Board).
New for 2.01: System stability during output of upscaled PlayStation®2 format software images has been improved.*1
New for 2.01: Functionality of the [Remote Start] feature has been changed to prevent an unintentional remote start. *2
*1 Applies only to models that support playback of PlayStation®2 format software. > See details

*2 If remote start via the Internet is enabled, the PS3™ system may turn on unintentionally, depending on the type of router in use. (In this case a remote play connection cannot be established.) To avoid unintentional power-up of the system, remote start via the Internet may be disabled automatically if a remote play connection is not established within a certain amount of time after the system is turned on.

Overall
You can now customize the XMB™ (XrossMediaBar) icons or background design
You can now create playlists to organize content under [Music] and [Photo]
[Information Board] has been added as a feature under [Network]. PlayStation® related news can be displayed on the XMB™ screen
[PlayStation®Network] has been added as a category in the XMB™ home menu
[Remote Start] has been added as an option under [Remote Play Settings]. A PS3™ system in standby mode can be turned on from a PSP® system used for remote play via the Internet.
New grouping options for the [Group Content] feature have been added to the options menu

Settings
[Color], [Background], and [Font] have been added as options under [Theme Settings].
You can now select [Brightness] as an option under [Theme Settings] > [Background].
The procedure for setting [Internet Connection Settings] under [Network Settings] has been changed.
You can now select Canon printers with the [Printer Selection] option under [Printer Settings]. For a list of compatible printers, select here.

Game
[Vibration Function] has been added as an option under [Controller Settings] in the menu that is displayed when you press the PS button on a DUALSHOCK®3 wireless controller. *
*Available for purchase in early 2008.

Network
You can now view video content (as a progressive download) as it is being downloaded from PlayStation®Store.
[Trend Micro Web Security for PS3™] has been added as an option under the Internet browser.

Friends
The voice / video chat menu has been changed.
You can now use the PlayStation®Eye camera for voice / video chat.*
* For details on the PlayStation®Eye camera, select here.

satam55

Banned
Why isn't everyone also on Sony's throat to patch in playing audio CDs on the PS4. Even though, I never once played a CD on the PS3 this entire generation, I would still like that option.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Why isn't everyone also on Sony's throat to patch in playing audio CDs on the PS4. Even though, I never once played a CD on the PS3 this entire generation, I would still like that option.

I'm going to ask here since I've never seen an answer. Is it possible, the hardware included can not read CD's?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Has anyone thought that maybe Sony isn't trying to push anything on us, but instead the ability to play MP3's and use DLNA aren't ready at launch? Remember, we have to download a Day #1 patch to get access to play blu ray movies. Maybe it's the same deal, and support for those two things didn't make it for launch.

Ryhian

I'm going to ask here since I've never seen an answer. Is it possible, the hardware included can not read CD's?

I believe the hardware is unable to read CDs, although again I'm not sure that's been confirmed. That's just my take from all of the info that's been released.

VanWinkle

That's what I meant. It's not a service you pay a monthly fee for, so Netflix, Amazon Prime etc aren't direct competitors. I was only guessing that Music Unlimited and Xbox Music are the only pay-per-month music services on their respective consoles because they are in fact services and not 1-off rentals/purchases.

Come on man. You can rent movies with Video Unlimited, and you can also choose to rent movies on Vudu, Amazon Instant Video, and CinemaNow. All from PS3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom