• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 (consumer version) waltzes past the FCC

EVIL

Even if they have a Naughty Dog ready to announce, why would they do it at Gamescom instead of E3 or the VGAs?

Gamescom is great but it's not the best way to optimize your ROI in regards to media attention after announcing your "big card".

Europe has always been a very pro playstation area. This close to launch, its wise to spend allot of energy to your loyals.

Krakn3Dfx

2519284-awyis.jpg

I don't get it, why would Activision care if the PS4 launched earlier than the next CoD?

It's not like a launch console will pull major numbers for a game that will release on almost all platforms. If anything, the install base will be slightly bigger if they launch earlier.

It would be more of a problem to release PS4 versions of big multiplat games weeks AFTER the game's respective releases. So they should launch before BF and AC as well.
Launching one or two weeks earlier than those will also give the first party games a fair chance to shine.

trmas

Banned
If the PS4 really does launch before CoD, I would love to see how many CoD players can hold out for the XBone, especially if it launches after CoD.

announce release date and Vita price drop at gamescom Sony. drop them megatons o_O

I will buy a Vita at the same time with my PS4 if there's a price drop.

sublimit

Banned
Everything so far seems perfect about PS4!If FFXV (or FFXIV) was a launch title i would have definitely pre-ordered the console...

/XX/

I imagine Made in Japan consoles are for Japan only.
On the filling handed to the FCC of this PS4 system test report figures a label that reads 'MODEL CUH-1001A', and this '01' denotes a region code that SCEI has been using on its product nomenclature referring to those systems for sale on North America ('00' for Japan, '02' for Australia & New Zealand, '03' U.K. & Ireland, etc.).

The filling handed to the FCC of this PS4 system figures a label that reads 'MODEL CUH-1001A', and this '01' denotes a region code that SCEI has been using on its product nomenclature referring to North America ('00' for Japan, '02' for Australia & New Zealand, '03' U.K. & Ireland, etc.).

My good old PS1 was still made in Japan. No wonder It's still alive.

Frankly, shitting on the quality of a country's output is political. In the 70s it was the Japanese getting shit on. Now look. If you can't beat them, call their products 'badly made'.
I don't think it's only that. Japan was (obviously) hit very hard after WWII and was subsequently forced to shift its military-industrial complex to other types of manufacturing. In the 70s, Japan's products were mostly knock-offs of American products until they surged ahead with some high-end brands, like Sony. In the 80s, the same was happening for Korea, albeit for different historical reasons. They've made giant strides with quality brands, like Samsung, but they still have a ways to go in some other aspects--Hyundai's build quality, while much better than what it was in the past, is still not on par with Toyota's, for example. China is industrializing right now, and there are many factors--like having a huge work force and lax labor and pollution laws--that allow it to advance in quality with unprecedented speed. After China, India is probably next.

wizzbang

Banned
I wonder if it'll be an international launch or US only?
I hope Australia doesn't need to wait until Mar or some wackyness again :/

Raist

Banned

Chinner said in another thread that he cancelled his PS4 preorder and got an Xbone instead.

At E3 they said US and EU. Technically, Australia would be EU (since it's covered by SCEE), but at the same time they didn't give any $AUS price at the conference. I don't know if they usually do though, so it might not mean anything.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
S¡mon;72325301 said:
Except for: Watch_Dogs and Assassin's Creed 4 have been confirmed to launch alongside the PS4. If the PS4 launches later than the PS3 releasedate, than the PS4 version will also be released later. If the PS4 launches earlier than the PS3 releasedate, the PS4 version will launch earlier than the PS3 version.

aren't those two games launched about 3 weeks apart? they can't launch the PS4 alongside both of them (unless the PS4 version of AC4 is delayed to the same date as Watch Dogs)

netBuff

The PS4 is being released in Australia this year.

At E3 they said US and EU. Technically, Australia would be EU (since it's covered by SCEE), but at the same time they didn't give any $AUS price at the conference. I don't know if they usually do though, so it might not mean anything.

Sony has already confirmed the Australian RRP to be a very reasonable AUD$549.

wizzbang

Banned
The PS4 is being released in Australia this year.

Sony has already confirmed the Australian RRP to be a very reasonable AUD$549.

It really is shockingly cheap -and the AUD$ is losing wind too, I genuinely (no really) suspect we'll either see a MUCH delayed price drop compared to other regions and some serious regret at not price hiking it.

I'd love to see a spreadsheet of all international prices and what they are relative to the US then work out the "international gouge percentage" - with each week of the AUD getting worthless, the 'luckier' we become.

Yet for all that, surprisingly I need to give Microsoft even more credit. Only 599$ AUD for the thing, only 100$ more (after conversion) than the US price - there's only $60 shortfall there, it's incredible (and about bloody time)
You'll see the same thing here, delayed price drop vs other regions. They can't price hike it but I BET they'd love to.

Awesome. I understand why everyone wants the PS4 as early as possible, but for me, I don't see the point in an October release. As long as they get it out before MS, they should be focused on November. All the third party titles launching are out in November, so we'd have the PS4 sitting on shelves for several weeks with 3-4 games, and October for me has Beyond, and Batman (&Pokemon&Tearaway!), and GTA will still be tearing up the charts. Do get why some would happily take it in October though. Glad they're on course though, hopefully they just build stock up til November.

Top Bottom