• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 developer : console release date 'not set in stone yet', probably before Nov 28th

"We actually don't know the launch date," a source who is currently developing a launch title for the PS4 told me. "That's because the [PS4] launch date is not set in stone yet.

"I'm assuming it's before Black Friday," he said. "I'd be surprised if it's not by then, but that's just me. That's when we're shooting for."

As for why Sony has yet to commit to a date, the developer guessed that "they are probably just trying to see and make sure they launch with enough hardware, and get all the logistics taken care of."

http://www.gamezone.com/news/2013/06/12/source-ps4-release-date-not-set-in-stone-yet

Honestly I think it will be before or on Black Friday as well. Considering a lot of the cross gen games are coming in late October to early November (COD, probably BF4) it makes sense.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
My pre-order is in, so hopefully sooner rather than later/before the Xbone.

OnFire331

Of course it's gonna be before Black Friday, they won't miss that chance. Like someone else said in another thread, they're just waiting to make sure which games are read for launch.

they should consider well before black friday. gouge if the system is widely sold out or not. gives them enough time to ramp of production of the system.

~~Hasan~~

Of course it's gonna be before Black Friday, they won't miss that chance. Like someone else said in another thread, they're just waiting to make sure which games are read for launch.

this. even though. i think 1 month wont make much between Nov and Dec

BUT, if they only have enough at launch for PreOrders, then getting it out before Black Friday will NOT matter at all.

I find it hard to believe that they will be stocked all over shelves when it comes out for Moms and Dads to just walk up and grab one.

OR, many stores will do what they did for the Wii and have special stock JUST FOR BLACK FRIDAY to try and get people in the door. That way they advertise it in their ads, and people line up 2 days early just to get one.

However, considering what appears to be Sony's Business Model this gen, they are probably just waiting for Microsoft to announce a firm date, then they will announce 12 hours later a date that is one week earlier. They seem to be allowing Microsoft to stick their neck out, then Sony within days just cuts it off.

Sony will wait for MS to announce and cockblock them by releasing a week or two before them. I can see something like this happening.

XBone
US - November 15
EU - November 21
JP/A - LOL

PS4
US - November 4
EU - November 14
JP/A - December 18

Sony will wait for MS to announce and cockblock them by releasing a week or two before them. I can see something like this happening.

XBone
US - November 15
EU - November 21
JP/A - LOL

PS4
US - November 4
EU - November 14
JP/A - December 18

Wow, I just edited my post above yours to say the same thing. Sony, although making so much business sense right now, appear to be reactionary to what Microsoft is doing in some areas. Which is a great strategy considering Microsofts moves haven't been very strategic so far.

Microsoft announces a date, then Sony will release a youtube video with Yosh standing in front of a Calendar.

"This is when the Xbox One is coming out, this is when the PS4 is coming out, 2 weeks earlier, Any Questions?"

Jonboy

Hoping for late October. Really want to play Watch_Dogs on this, which I'm guessing will be a November title.

Minigo

Yoshida said they need to have a clearer picture of how many units can be manufactured, then SONY will start to allocate them to North America, Asia and Europe and start assigning release dates.

I know the PS3 released on a Saturday, so they may shoot for a Weekend date.

So October 26th, November 2nd, or November 9th all sound like great dates.

Gives time to get Preorders distributed, then allow stores to restock their Black Friday Stock.

cameron

With the release dates so close to each other, is it better to launch before or after your competitor? Does it even matter?

cebri.one

If they didn't say it yet, maybe is because they are having some production issues i wouldn't bet its coming before XB1.

Toki767

I pretty much read this as they're waiting for Microsoft to announce their release date first so they can release it a week before or something.

With the release dates so close to each other, is it better to launch before or after your competitor? Does it even matter?

If you had the cheaper, more powerful, consumer friendly device, why wouldn't you launch first if it were possible?

casmith07

My thoughts:

1. They're waiting to troll Microsoft again.

2. October 26th (PS2s release date many moons ago)

3. Twitter campaign at Yosp to get it sooner rather than later? #PS4inOctober?

Neither does Sony.

Tretton made this clear during an interview with CNET yesterday. Sony will not know until manufacturing demonstrates what type of yields they'll get. This way, they can estimate how many boxes they can build every month. Considering their target for a world-wide launch during the holiday period, you can understand their reluctance to speculate on a specific date. We'll probably know within a few weeks of Sony themselves knowing

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I worry we won't see this until late December but I'm really hoping for October/early November.

Deviation

Neo Member
My thoughts:

1. They're waiting to troll Microsoft again.

2. October 26th (PS2s release date many moons ago)

3. Twitter campaign at Yosp to get it sooner rather than later? #PS4inOctober?

I love the October 26th idea but the real question is whether or not they can have enough produced by then. Even though it's only a two week difference, even 11/12/13 sounds more believable to me.

Top Bottom