• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 emulator for PC got Bloodborne running, no image yet

Spyxos

Gold Member
Um yeah. You can't even see the menu at 1 fps but only a black image. This thing is still very far away.

Last edited:

acm2000

all sony needs to do is announce a bloodborne remake and the hackers will get bored, its literally the sole reason its being targetted so hard right now :LOL:

Davevil

Running
triple-h-cant-stop-laughing.gif

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind peoplekind.

That PS4 menu music is so nostalgic.

Last edited:
Last chance to give us PC port willingly, Jimbo!

Or else...
People are meming but I truly feel the only reason we're getting games like Spider-Man, TLoU, Uncharted etc on PC is because Sony saw what RPCS3 was doing and went "shit we need to act so we can still make money, our grip on our exclusivity is starting to slip" and the rest is history.

Last edited:

Red5

They managed to emulate Gamecube and the PS3's Cell processor in the end, so PS4 emulation won't be far behind. Funny enough the day when I finally managed to run Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 on RPCS3 they announced a PC port of the Ninja Gaiden Collection.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Um yeah. You can't even see the menu at 1 fps but only a black image. This thing is still very far away.
"I understand people saying "it's black screen", it is. However, RPCSX is a new PS4 emulator and for it to boot a triple A game like this in a short time is something huge even if it's a black window, there's a lot of interesting things happening behind this black screen, engine, game assets and libraries are all loading, no significant errors there, I've let the emu run for sometime to show that it's not crashing, this is good progress. The status is not "nothing", that's when an emu crashes/exits but Bloodborne has a persistent window and CPU+GPU usage going up 80% making fans go loud, You can say the status is "boots" but with no graphics yet, hope this cleared the confusion."

His response to that.

Kadve

Since PS4 is an x86 system, will emulation prove a lot easier than cell based PS3?
I bet, Lisa Sue's failed CPU( PS3 cell crap) is still a nightmare to work on
IIRC take away all of Sony's bells and whistles and the Cell is actually a pretty standard Power PC design and quite easy to emulate. The problem instead is the RSX GPU which was a completely custom thing done by NVIDIA with a little in the way of documentation.

Also X86 is actually notoriously hard to emulate. There is just so much stuff in it that you have to keep track of and there is a reason why it took so long for us to get a proper OG Xbox emulator.

CamHostage

Since PS4 is an x86 system, will emulation prove a lot easier than cell based PS3?

Not necessarily, unfortunately. Xbox 1 was considered to be made of "off- the-shelf" PC parts, but it took a long time to get working sheils for it.

Even though much of a machine can be familiar, it still had custom features/approaches, and I assume that means they actuality have to emulate it rather than just translating instructions from one chipset to a compatible newer one.

(...Or, what Kadve just said)

Last edited:

Kilau

Not necessarily, unfortunately. Xbox 1 was considered to be made of "off- the-shelf" PC parts, but it took a long time to get working sheils for it.

Even though much of a machine can be familiar, it still had custom features/approaches, and I assume that means they actuality have to emulate it rather than just translating instructions from one chipset to a compatible newer one.

(...Or, what Kadve just said)
I guess that is what I am wondering, if translating instructions would be a possible path.

lmimmfn

Not so easy as direct execution as it needs to execute within the OS(Windows) which is not the same as PS4 native execution. Easier with a VM and translation for PS OS calls and GPU calls(may not be straight forward as its a customized APU), other than that there's the less performant option of translating each instruction.

I'm not sure which route they took.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Well this PS4 emulator is like 2 months old and already got Bloodborne running, it's from the devs of the famous PS3 emulator

Naw, this emulator has been around for years, not "like two months".

"This emulator is not technically new, as it has been touted by its creator DH (founder of the RPCS3 PS3 emulator) since at least 2021."

Also, booting=/=running.

SantaC

When she sold that CPU design to Sony she was at IBM
Sources on that. I been searching for it and her name never comes up regarding Cell. She might been with IBM at the time but it wasnt her personally selling it...what a dumb take. Also her name is Lisa Su, and not Sue.

Kakax11

Banned
Sources on that. I been searching for it and her name never comes up regarding Cell. She might been with IBM at the time but it wasnt her personally selling it...what a dumb take. Also her name is Lisa Su, and not Sue.

Easy there Lisa su fanboy :D

best i could find about it, i guess i'm good at googling

Last edited:
Top Bottom