• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 fastest-selling console in UK history, outsells Wii U LTD in UK [250K PS4 in 48h]

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW, 250k:150k is a 3.3:2 ratio.

The numbers we had from the UK pre orders had it at 3:2. So things seemed to follow through in other stores.

I think the difference is that there are many more unfulfilled pre-orders for PS4 than for Bone. The latter is readily available in retail, PS4 is very, very difficult to find still.

Here's a chart:

c2AKs5k.jpg

That's an odd scale.

Hoo-doo

Banned
North America
United Kingdom

That makes for two traditional Xbox strongholds last gen to get grabbed by Sony. Now that's something no-one saw coming a year ago.
Hindle, where you at, bro. I thought Microsoft was going to expand into europe while remaining dominant in the US?

For reference, alongside other launches:
PS4 - 250K
PSP - 185K
PS3 - 165K
Xbox One - 150K
3DS - 113K
Wii - 105K
NDS - 87K
Xbox 360 - 70K
PSV - ~40K
Wii U - 40K
I know that. I'm referring to the figure posted of the the next gen installed base being ~600K.

They didn't even beat the PS3?!?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
FWIW, 250k:150k is a 3.3:2 ratio.

The numbers we had from the UK pre orders had it at 3:2. So things seemed to follow through in other stores.

Get used to that ratio MS.
Why did they think a lower powered more expensive machine would compete. It's beyond me.

At this point. Even is they sold a kinect-less bundle for the same price at PS4 I wouldn't buy one.

Castcoder

Banned
I'm curious, are Xbox Ones on store shelves in the UK still? Someone, please give me an answer. XBones and PS4s are sold out everywhere in the US, but I'm curious about the UK.

goomba

Banned
Leave him alone, poor guy have been calling doom on next gen consoles for months now:

character assassination is a weak defense in a thread. isn't cross thread quoting a no no anyway?

note that my quotes talk of "if ps4 launches over US$499" (which it didn't) and i acknowledged the ps4/xbone would beat wii u, its just occuring faster than i expected.

Seems most agree that console gaming is in decline relatively to last gen so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be so shamed about.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Oh, I'm talking about the cliché "SonySUS ChrisT" fanboyism.

Nah, you'd need to have footage of Knack killing those soldiers first. These new Sony GIFs apparently need to show the enemy being hurt or terrorized.
Shhhhh no more core tears. Only casual dreams now.

dolabla

Honestly, is anybody really surprised? I fully expect Playstation domination this gen. I'm talking PS2 type domination. Microsoft doesn't have the advantages they had last gen with Sony screwing up.

Mr Moose

North America
United Kingdom

That makes for two traditional Xbox strongholds last gen to get grabbed by Sony. Now that's something no-one saw coming a year ago.
Hindle, where you at, bro. I thought Microsoft was going to expand into europe while remaining dominant in the US?

Gooselaughing.gif

Also, Killzone at number 4, damn! Nice :) *puts disc in* I need to play the single player.

character assassination is a weak defense in a thread. isn't cross thread quoting a no no anyway?

note that my quotes talk of "if ps4 launches over US$499" (which it didn't) and i acknowledged the ps4/xbone would beat wii u, its just occuring faster than i expected.

Seems most agree that console gaming is in decline relatively to last gen so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be so shamed about.

Fucking stop.

RE: Titanfalls exclusivity. I think this is going to bite microsoft in the ass more than anything.

With titanfall being an Always online game, its hard to quantify a year from its launch how much it is the same game. Maps will change, content will update etc.

I expect EA to pull a fast one and release a "Titanfall" midpoint, that is essentially the same game as titanfall, but has none of the original X1 launch maps. These maps will not even be played on the X1 anymore, because everyone will have migrated to the new ones. Its a beautiful way of stay within the the exclusivity contract, yet getting a version out on the Ps4 regardless.

without fail though Titanfall 2 is coming out on PS4.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
So, how long until MS removes the Kinect from the box and undercuts the PS4 price?

Great news all around... a clear win for gamers in showing which approach console makers should take.

Prine

Banned
Hope all Nintendo fans can except that WiiU lukewarm reception isn't indicative on the industry health. Start pointing fingers at Iwata not everyone else

Except that most people are also in agreement that the decline will come from Nintendo's share, which is of little relevance to third parties. You continually ignore this point because you have no answer to it.

PS4/Bone will sell around the same or more between them as PS3 and 360 (160m over 8 years). Some of the 100m Wii audience will buy Wii Us, most have left console gaming already and some will buy a PS4/Bone. It is Nintendo that are fucked, not gaming as a whole.

Sigh the agreement is that Nintendo's share of the console gaming honeypot will decline.

Many other posters (such as myself) believe PS and Xbox can sell more than last gen as they can eat into that Wii install base that is no longer buying a Nintendo console

But sure console gaming is in general decline and not just in Nintendo decline...

DBT85

Whoa I think a lot of people were expecting Xbone to win the UK launch. Sony did everything right. They can't be stopped. Congrats to them.

Long live the king.

I don't think many here were expecting the Xbone to beat the PS4. We saw pre order numbers, we saw Amazon, we each had our own anecdotal evidence that the tide was turning.

I think the difference is that there are many more unfulfilled pre-orders for PS4 than for Bone. The latter is readily available in retail, PS4 is very, very difficult to find still.

Absolutely. Its on Sony now to keep the shelves filled every week.

I'm curious, are Xbox Ones on store shelves in the UK still? Someone, please give me an answer. XBones and PS4s are sold out everywhere in the US, but I'm curious about the UK.

Yes even argos here has buy now for next day delivery.. xbox ones are out there... GAME now telling people that it'll be January at least for walk in PS4 customers..

Hoo-doo

Banned
So, how long until MS removes the Kinect from the box and undercuts the PS4 price?

Great news all around... a clear win for gamers in showing which approach console makers should take.

According to teardowns and BOM pricing, even removing the Kinect would make the XBox one more expensive to build. ESram biting them in the ass.

So, surprisingly, Sony has more room to drop the price even if this were to happen.

Living in a small town - there a couple of xbones still on shelves but ps4 is sold out till next year.

Only one I saw for sale was two £500 bundle at local game store - and a woman bought her son one while I was there so...

(Lucky son)

You know this doesnt mean jack right? The only thing thats ever held back any other console from blowing away others records was production capabilities. PS4 is easy to make so they made alot. PS4 being a mid range PC makes it easy to produce

Imagine if Nintendo had managed to have 6-7 million Wii at launch they might have sold 6 million in a month.

I do also know that when PS4 outsells the WiiU in 2 days, while the WiiU launched a year earlier, does not say to me that market is bad. It tells me that the WiiU is an undesirable product.

RaikuHebi

Banned
RE: Titanfalls exclusivity. I think this is going to bite microsoft in the ass more than anything.

With titanfall being an Always online game, its hard to quantify a year from its launch how much it is the same game. Maps will change, content will update etc.

I expect EA to pull a fast one and release a "Titanfall" midpoint, that is essentially the same game as titanfall, but has none of the original X1 launch maps. These maps will not even be played on the X1 anymore, because everyone will have migrated to the new ones. Its a beautiful way of stay within the the exclusivity contract, yet getting a version out on the Ps4 regardless.

without fail though Titanfall 2 is coming out on PS4.
TitanRise ala Demon to Dark Souls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom