• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 fastest-selling console in UK history, outsells Wii U LTD in UK [250K PS4 in 48h]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Averon

These Knack gifs are golden. It's perfect "You Mad!!" material for people catching feelings for it outselling SM3DW.

Yawnier

Banned
We need to add those 2 into the blackboard now that more past hopes are crushed:

nljIHxM.png

Firing Iwata and Megaman in Smash both always get to me, ROFL.

Somebody should expand that chalk board with some more things now.

traveler

Not Wario
I would appreciate it if Nintendo put their games out on a platform that I actually want to own.

And I would appreciate if Sony would put out games I want to own on their platform.

Sadly, it looks like you, me, and Ninty are all out of luck here. :(

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i don't get it are people genuinely happy that knack outsold 3d world or is it just trolling

it's kind of hard to tell sometimes with console warzzzzz

I would appreciate it if Nintendo put their games out on a platform that I actually want to own.

So would the rest of us...

i don't get it are people genuinely happy that knack outsold 3d world or is it just trolling

Trolling I would hope

3D World should've sold gangbusters, the fact it didn't is due to Nintendo's ineptitude nothing more

FuturusX

Knack outselling Mario in the UK isn't surprising.
They also preferred shitty Spectrum and Amiga games over the NES and SNES which had entire libraries of incredible games.

You what? GTFO with that shit. Amiga was incredible. And the UK had mad love for all of those platforms..

Show some respect.

pulsemyne

They also preferred shitty Spectrum and Amiga games over the NES and SNES which had entire libraries of vastly superior games.

So very, very wrong. Also the SNES came about after the amiga boom in the UK. Also the megadrive was far more popular than the snes.

Gabe3208

Banned

Lol, the Knack gifs are funny. But I'm a bit confused too because quite a few on the Buy/Sell/Trade thread are getting rid of their Knack copies.

pulsemyne

Trolling I would hope

3D World should've sold gangbusters, the fact it didn't is due to Nintendo's ineptitude nothing more

I don;t think I've seen a single advert for it. Also the shops didn't even bother pushing it and instead concentrate on selling PS4 bundles for crazy prices.

facepalm-bear-2.png

The UK has 1/10 the population of North America. So if we're going by capita, North America saw 0.0019% of the population pick up a PS4 compared to 0.0039% in the UK. So double -- yet don't both figures show truly what a drop in the bucket gaming sales really are?

And funnily enough this figure is for 48 hours as opposed to 24 from the US.

So kind of worth wondering if the figures were similar for the same period of time on sale.

zeopower6

Obvious trolling. But this'll probably only happen in UK. Outside of it 3D World will easily outsell it.

I don't think people are trolling. The reality is that Knack will probably outsell 3D World in most territories. I wonder if you can count Japan's though since Knack is a pack-in.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best

Trolling I would hope

3d World should sell like crazy but Nintendo wants everyone to pay way, way too much for their system to play it.

Can we stop pretending the UK is some anomalous market that has it out for Nintendo?

After a year on the market the GameCube had sold 500K, or over 3x more than the Wii U.

This isn't "the UK hates Nintendo and Mario and good games," this is "Nintendo haven't put out a system that's compelling to the UK market, and software on it is suffering as a result."

From what I can discern of the UK market, it isn't brand loyal. It isn't PlayStation land. It isn't Xbox land. It's value land.

And funnily enough this figure is for 48 hours as opposed to 24 from the US.

So kind of worth wondering if the figures were similar for the same period of time on sale.

No. Almost all of those UK sales would been on Friday, with the scant remaining few bought on Saturday.

The only reason why it's stated as 48 hours is because Chart-Track tracks sales from Sunday to Saturday. It's not like they specifically expanded the time period just a little so they could get a higher number, Chart-Track have no biases here.

Can we stop pretending the UK is some anomalous market that has it out for Nintendo?

After a year on the market the GameCube had sold 500K, or over 3x more than the Wii U.

This isn't "the UK hates Nintendo and Mario and good games," this is "Nintendo haven't put out a system that's compelling to the UK market, and software on it is suffering as a result."

From what I can discern of the UK market, it isn't brand loyal. It isn't PlayStation land. It isn't Xbox land. It's value land.

Well in my research, Scotland does appear to be Irn Bru land

How that translates to video game sales I have yet to decipher but the research continues...

Well in my research, Scotland does appear to be Irn Bru land

How that translates to video game sales I have yet to decipher but the research continues...

I had a Scotsman explain to me in intricate, exacting detail precisely what the video game situation there is. I have no idea what he said, of course, but I'm sure it was poignant.

Funny you should mention passive aggression... Who have been making GIFs of their favorite company's top men beating up, terrorizing and murdering those of the competition throughout the year?

I'm not sure I understand the context here.

You're pointing a finger at me, while those who really are responsilble for those gifs are the hardcore, extreme sony supporters on the other end of the scale, which whom i have barely any relation?

Then again, didn't the Nintendo rooligans/hooligans do the same antics back during the previous gen?

You're implying that the ones who are mainly keen at these "passive aggressive actions" are those of the Sony fanbase, which is kinda a very shallow judgement, considering all the hardcore fans from the other parties would something similiar if the opportunity arises.

No. Almost all of those UK sales would been on Friday, with the scant remaining few bought on Saturday.

The only reason why it's stated as 48 hours is because Chart-Track tracks sales from Sunday to Saturday. It's not like they specifically expanded the time period just a little so they could get a higher number, Chart-Track have no biases here.

Jesus people are touchy.

No, I wasn't saying Chart-Track was trying to inflate the numbers.

I was saying, given a full 48 hours, as opposed to 24 hours, the national attach rate in the US may have climbed to a similar level to the UK's.

zeopower6

Jesus people are touchy.

I was saying, given a full 48 hours, as opposed to 24 hours, the national attach rate in the US may have climbed to a similar level to the UK's.

I think they just wanted to stick with 24 hours because it sounds better and more buzzworthy to say "one million in 24 hours as opposed to one point whatever in 48 hours". :p

bigmf

That Knack gif needs "didn't read, lol" for when people try to explain why Mario will win in the end, or that bundling helped or any other reasons.

But they're not interested in gaming itself, they're using the games as a mean to find what interests them the most.
I mean, someone that has put 10000 hours drawing on "Art Academy" it's not a hardcore gamer, even when he has played more than what most players.

It's not a matter of how much anyone play but of "why do they play". Since games nowadays can be used as a mean to cover lots of interests, it's how more than how much.
They are just what you were when you first saw a videogame for the first time, just people looking to have some fun playing a videogame. It doesn't even matter if you are interested in other related aspects of the industry like sales, tech, rumors, merchandise or whatever. You are still just a gamer.

Of course fun is mostly subjective, which means that you enjoy different things than other gamers. Some people may have fun learning every aspect of a fighting or strategy game. Others may have fun solving puzzles, being creative, feeling the adrenaline rush of a heavy action game, jumping on their seats as they play a scary game or playing online with other people. Others may just enjoy the social aspect of a party game. In the end, it's all the same, just a bunch of people trying to have fun. Just like you.

Even though I understand what you mean by hardcore gamer, this is not your hobby nor is mine. Gaming is trying to appeal to all kinds of people now: hardcore, casual, sport fans, car enthusiasts, action lovers, old school, kids, social gamers and basically anyone looking for some kind of experience they enjoy. And it's a damn good thing, because the type of games I want to play are still being made, but if those games I enjoy were the only ones being made I would be the only one having fun and this would be a dying industry. I like that games that other people may enjoy are being made, the same way I like that all kinds of music, movies, books or tv shows are being made so that everyone gets to have as much fun as I do. Just because there are people out there making games for all kinds of gamers doesn't mean that my hobby is being destroyed by some "cancer." It just means that more people can enjoy my hobby now.

How is that a bad thing?

Jesus people are touchy.

There were a few different ways to take what you said, that was simply one of them.

Either way, you're still wrong. For that theory to be correct, they would've had to sell out 50% on Friday and 50% on Saturday and there's absolutely no chance that happened. In reality, it would've been much closer to 95% on Friday and 5% on Saturday.

Instead of focusing on the time, you should be looking at the supply. The PS4 sold out in both countries, so you should be asking if we'd see a similar national attach rate if Sony had shipped 2 million PS4s to the US.

There isn't going to be some kind of semi sequel sigma version. EA and MS paid to have the first game and it's encompassing content Exclusive for their platform.

Hence why Respawn acted out to quickly. The whole Sigma thing isn't applicable in this scenario. DOA and it's encompassing characters have been on tons of other machines in the past. But Tecmo had at the time a deal with MS for Ninja Gaiden, and could not put it on PS2 because of tech limitations.

Hence why we got Sigma for PS3 with new stuff, it was basically NInja Gaiden black with new playable character added.

The same went for NInja Gaiden 2, then they just dropped Exclusivity all together for 3rd game.

This scenario with EA and MS is a much bigger deal. There is more money being made from Titanfall keeping it exclusive for EA, than TECMO had with NG.

Why do you think Vince was not invited to the deal MS made with EA couple weeks ago? Because they wanted first game to be complete exclusive with no loop holes like your so called "Sigma" Scenario.

The big difference here is that Titanfall is a Always online game. As such the games content can change alot more dynamically with arguably nothing on the original disc being actually played 6 months from now.

Its very hard for Microsoft to make a exclusivity deal for content that hasnt been made yet, only what the game is now.

If the PS4 does get titanfall, it will be a vastly different game than what it was on the Xbones launch. You cant just stick a character in and sell it as a different product. But microsoft cannot cover all the bases of a game that is designed to change itself dynamically and in real time.

Tabular

Banned
Knack outselling Mario 3d world is a shock. But keep in mind Nintendo 1st party games continue to sell well throughout the life of the system. But ya. Keep laughing.

They also preferred shitty Spectrum and Amiga games over the NES and SNES which had entire libraries of vastly superior games.

The saltiest post that ever salt. Between the amazing gifs and the butthurt fanboys this has been my favorite thread of the week. Sooo goooood.

iQVWUpHvICgsy.gif

Papacheeks

Banned
The big difference here is that Titanfall is a Always online game. As such the games content can change alot more dynamically with arguably nothing on the original disc being actually played 6 months from now.

Its very hard for Microsoft to make a exclusivity deal for content that hasnt been made yet, only what the game is now.

If the PS4 does get titanfall, it will be a vastly different game than what it was on the Xbones launch. You cant just stick a character in and sell it as a different product. But microsoft cannot cover all the bases of a game that is designed to change itself dynamically and in real time.

Really? How did they make the deal with Battlefield? The extra expansions I can tell you not all of them are even made yet or were being developed when they made their deal.

The same can go for COD.

This happens all the time, look at the Extra Ubisoft content for Watch dogs and AC4 the content with aveline. But they made the deal with Sony for it long before the entire game was completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom