• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 firmware 4.50 add Boost Mode for PS4 Pro.

Fredrik

This thread is moving too fast I'm not sure what games has been tested yet

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, 60fps locked now?

Project Cars?

Killzone Shadow Fall?

Second Son?

Ratchet & Clank?

AC Black Flag?

NFS Rivals?

Frillen

Will games that are Pro enhanced override the boost mode? Or do I have to manually turn off boost mode when playing those games? Or should I just put boost mode on and never look back?

Aces&Eights

Project Cars?

Killzone Shadow Fall?

Second Son?

Ratchet & Clank?

AC Black Flag?

NFS Rivals?

My understanding is this is for games WITHOUT a Pro patch. Tomb Raider, Ratchet, etc already have a patch so this won't change them. I could be wrong, though.

jeffram

Project Cars?

Killzone Shadow Fall?

Second Son?

Ratchet & Clank?

AC Black Flag?

NFS Rivals?
Boost mode only improves non-pro patched games. If a game is pro-patched it's already using the extra horsepower.

Second son and Ratchet & Clank already are pro enabled.

5taquitos

Project Cars?

Killzone Shadow Fall?

Second Son?

Ratchet & Clank?

AC Black Flag?

NFS Rivals?

People have posted positive improvements for TR 2013, Project Cars, and maybe Killzone.

Second Son and Ratchet & Clank both have Pro modes already.

I haven't seen anything yet on Black Flag or Rivals.

Will games that are Pro enhanced override the boost mode? Or do I have to manually turn off boost mode when playing those games? Or should I just put boost mode on and never look back?

Boost mode is only for games that don't have a Pro patch. It works in conjunction. Enabling boost mode on a pro game does nothing extra.

Pro enhanced patch makes boost mode option irrelevant, so you can leave Boost ON and never look back

I'd be interested to see how the Batman: Return to Arkham games run unpatched. Arkham Asylum was originally unlocked before the patch but the framerate was kinda all over the place, so it was patched to be 30. I wonder if it's closer to 55-60 without a patch and boost mode enabled? Wonder if Arkham City would see any benefit unpatched?

I'm in the beta but don't own the game to test it. : /

RedAssedApe

Banned
That's it, game over. You win the thread.

haha can't take credit for this. this was posted in the ass unity thread

OLLcK8v.gif

Aces&Eights

Pro enhanced patch makes boost mode option irrelevant, so you can leave Boost ON and never look back

Wait, I have to turn on Boost mode? I have the patch installed, and in beta mode. Where do I need to go tell the system to apply boost mode to games?

EDIT: Found it.

EDIT Part Dux: I love how it is literally called Boost Mode.

NeoRausch

Gotdamn this game still looks amazing.

And I'll show you a wet fart!

It does, it REALLY does!

Thanks for the attention to detail!

As far as I can tell... No difference. Since it already hat a super stable and smooth 30 fps lock.

Damm this game is such a looker!

Issues like this wouldn't originate in the firmware though, they would need to patch the games to remedy it.

How do you know that? Back in November when PRO launched GAF claimed that allowing all games to run in PRO speed would be a disaster and would break nearly all games. Fast forward few months and we have early beta firmware with boost mode and nearly all games run without problems. I would at least wait for this firmware to leave beta before saying game needs patching.

Harp

Dragon quest builders looks to run at the higher end frame rate now. Before it ran smooth but there are time when it felt like 60 fps vs 30 fps. The overall game seems to run at the higher end frame rate with boost mode.

komorebi

Dragon quest builders looks to run at the higher end frame rate now. Before it ran smooth but there are time when it felt like 60 fps vs 30 fps. The overall game seems to run at the higher end frame rate with boost mode.

Good to hear, this is on my list to buy soon

Fredrik

The patches are highly optimized versions of the Boost mode made specifically for said game. If the dev made the game worse with it then it's their fault.
Yes but I'm guessing the Pro patches mostly focus on 4K rather than framerate and the unpatched games are getting higher framerates rather than higher resolutions.

JayDub

Im seriously trading in my PS4 for the Pro, now.

How does data transfer work if I put in my own HDD? What are some things I need to do when switching over to a new console?

True Fire

How does data transfer work if I put in my own HDD? What are some things I need to do when switching over to a new console?

Make sure you deregister your console as primary. This is super super important.

Otherwise, backup saves in PS+ cloud and you're good.

zewone

Your HDD will be wiped if you try and hot swap.

You need to backup your HDD to an external HDD.

Once you put your HDD into the Pro it's going to make you wipe it.

If you don't want to do that, easiest method is to upload saves to PS+ cloud and redownload games on Pro.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I was always going to get a Pro but I was going to wait till later this year in hopes of a good bundle or sale or even perhaps wait till Black Friday times when I would also be purchasing a nice HDR TV. Now however... I'm stupid tempted as not only am I playing a lot of the huge rush of new games coming out but I'm also trying to kill off my backlog even as it builds with newer games. A lot of these games don't have pro patches and it would be nice to finish them out in the best possible quality. Grr... decisions.

JP

Back in November when PRO launched GAF claimed that allowing all games to run in PRO speed would be a disaster and would break nearly all games. Fast forward few months and we have early beta firmware with boost mode and nearly all games run without problems. I would at least wait for this firmware to leave beta before saying game needs patching.
I've no idea what people said on here, that's clearly not what Sony stated though.
How do you know that?
As Sony have confirmed, the PS4 Pro has modes of operation:
  • Pro mode - The extra power is available when the developer has activated them in the game.
  • Standard mode - They down clock the CPU/GPU and remove half of the mirrored GPU.
Previous to this update all games which didn't have Pro flagged in the code would essentially be running on a standard PS4. Now that they've added an option to open that up in the firmware games now have access to additional power included in the Pro mode.
Any game that has Pro mode activated by the developer doesn't come into play with this firmware update because they already have access to the additional and have allocated those resources in which over way they saw as best.
Formware is not going to change the Pro hardware and it's not going to alter what a game does now that it has access to those resources.

For games that are having issues Sony would essentially have to create firmware that is built specifically for the game that is having the issues. I'm not saying it couldn't be done but what sense is there in them creating custom firmware for different games when the process of fixing has been to fix them on the game side rather than creating custom firmware for each game/

This isn't a firmware issue, this is a game issue.

For developers to fix issues that have become visible since this update they would have to patch their game to fix whatever is causing the issue. Maybe some will do that but we're talking about developers who haven't yet Pro patched their games and if they were going to patch them now then surely it would benefit them to create a "Pro" patch rather than a "fix" patch because that then allows them to choose what to do with the additional power that they now have access to rather than employing an "open the gates and see what happens" approach as Sony has done here.

Top Bottom