• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 firmware 4.50 add Boost Mode for PS4 Pro.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Not gonna lie, kind of a genius move with the "try it at your own risk" and now people will try to test games and add to the hype.

It's understandable why the warning is there. The Pro wasn't initially designed to improve unpatched games.

Adding this mode does add value to the Pro and gets rid of one of the biggest criticisms against it from owners of the base PS4.

Carn82

Oh, for the ones testing Witcher 3; Blood and Wine already runs in an updated version of the game engine that pretty much runs in a solid 30 fps; so as already mentioned; the swamps and Novigrad would be the better options to test things :)

Fredrik

This is _fantastic_ if it works like it should!! I've been on the fence with Pro right from the start, don't need 4K or supersampling but getting higher framerates is exactly why I upgrade my GPU in the PC and could be the number 1 reason why I would upgrade to a Pro too.

komorebi

those patches would still be better than boost mode as they have access to the hardware

It just comes down to the developers actually patching and utilizing that hardware, and as we've seen, most won't go back and fine tune their game. Or worse they add 4K support and call it a day. That's why Beast Mode could sometimes be better than some lazy ass patches we've seen.

Actually kinda excited if this somehow helps the train wreck of a game Just Cause 3.

Only game I've stopped playing due to frame rate issues.

This is awesome news. I've had a Pro since launch and have been very happy with it, so this is just icing on the cake. I'm keeping my expectations realistic, but also wondering how many older games this is going to cause me to buy now lol. Hopefully we see dynamic res games hitting 1080p in addition to improved frame rates. BF4 at 1080p with a more solid frame rate could definitely suck me back in!

ifawXK4.jpg

Oh lord, hahahahaha.

ksimm

Just tried F1 2016 and it's turbo locked at 60fps and wet racing seems much smoother and higher framerate. Interestingly although F1 2016 was no slouch at load times, it seems even quicker than before.

UPDATE: Forgot to mention GTA V, framerate racing through lots of traffic seems stable with no drops.

DieH@rd

Banned
I just played opening of Until Dawn twice, first in normal and then in busoto modo. While in normal mode some scened looked questionable, all was much better and more natural in 2nd playthrough.

I will continue playing in normal mode until I clearly find bad framerate scene, and then I will switch to busoto mode again.

Can the boost be turned on and off with the game running?

Any change in busoto modi setting requires gaming apps to be closed.

icespide

Banned
It just comes down to the developers actually patching and utilizing that hardware, and as we've seen, most won't go back and fine tune their game. Or worse they add 4K support and call it a day. That's why Beast Mode could sometimes be better than some lazy ass patches we've seen.
if a pro patch literally only adds 4k UI it would still by nature see the same benefits that this beast mode provides for non patched games because it's not running downclocked hardware

Hoo-doo

Banned
I swear the engineers at Sony chose the name of this setting just because they knew it would immediately be called 'beast mode'.

komorebi

if a pro patch literally only adds 4k UI it would still by nature see the same benefits that this beast mode provides for non patched games because it's not running downclocked hardware

Ok good point

Well in the end most won't go back and patch old games so this is the next best thing

black070

Bloodborne loading times are noticeably better from comparing with and without Boost mode, hadn't progressed far with my current character so couldn't really get into any demanding scenes to compare performance.

UrbanRats

Bloodborne loading times are noticeably better from comparing with and without Boost mode, hadn't progressed far with my current character so couldn't really get into any demanding scenes to compare performance.
Old Yarnam should be enough to tell about framepacing.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Reading a comment on a dutch tech site; poster says that Dying Light runs 'a lot' better.

I remember indoor areas in Dying Light were constantly fluctuating between 30 and 60 because of double buffer vsync. Should be a major benefit there.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
That's not dropped frames, it's slowdown and it's done on purpose. According to Housemarque.

(did we have this conversation before?)

I'll try find a source if you don't believe me.
I believe you. I have little doubt they did it intentionally to emulate the boss explosion slowdown that lots of shmup games have. But it's done in such a way that the slowdown is achieved by spamming so much crap on the screen that the machine gets bogged down, so I wonder if the boost mode here will power through that.

Hoo-doo

Banned

We need comparison videos, stat. I mean, there's a share button for a reason.

No need to edit that stuff, GAF will take care of that.

Top Bottom